Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32463 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #525 on: November 04, 2021, 01:18:43 pm »

“I want to heal and fix stuff and I want to make cool stuff. I do not want to brainwash people, and I do not want to rot myself from the inside out. May I do the stuff I want without doing the stuff I don’t want?”
And yeah, based on what they’ve told us, it’s pretty clear they’re not interested in that. But, seriously. Fuck Glamor. It brainwashes the targets and kills the caster. It’s Bad MagicTM through and through.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 04, 2021, 01:21:38 pm »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 04, 2021, 01:21:59 pm »

And yeah, based on what they’ve told us, it’s pretty clear they’re not interested in that.
Even if they wouldn't accept, the only sensible thing to do would still be to try. It's normal for choice-based games to let you try futile things, even! And it seems very likely that there would be some circumstances, like if we had high church relationship or something, where they'd be willing to accept it... but we're not even given the option.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 04, 2021, 01:25:34 pm »

It won't go well, but 5 is the only even somewhat viable option.

Fuck Glamor. It brainwashes the targets and kills the caster. It’s Bad MagicTM through and through.

Sums up my thoughts about it.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 04, 2021, 03:42:37 pm »

Never.

"You're not the first mage to swear such a thing," the hierophant says. "But I won't hold you to it. We'll see whether you change your mind later."

The hierophant and the saints leave you, closing and locking the cell door behind them.

Since your bindings prevent you from casting anything, you try to think of a way to escape that doesn't involve magic. You kick the door. You feel around for secret doors.

But you can't think of anything. You lay down on the cold stone floor, thinking about your decisions. Should you have taken the hierophant up on her offer?

You try kicking your cell door. It doesn't give.

You kick again, and again, and again. But it doesn't give.

You are utterly alone.

You lie down. The cold stone floor against your cheek reminds you of a funeral bier.

Eventually, but not soon enough, sleep comes.

You awaken to the smell of smoke. Your cell door is on fire!

On the other side, you can hear the squawks of your baby dragon, Verdigris.

"Verdigris, you found me!" you shout gleefully. You hold your bonds to the flame until they catch fire and carefully hold still while they burn. Verdigris continues to squawk and purr in agitation. "Just be patient, Verdigris," you soothe. "I'm coming."

Once the cloth is sufficiently blackened, you pull your bonds apart, and they rip easily.

You eye the burning door, mentally running through the spells you could cast, then just give it a sharp boot. The weakened door falls off its hinges, and you are free.

"Miss me?" you say to Verdigris, stroking her head. The baby dragon coos.

Verdigris seems willing to burn doors on command, and in this way, you free Vera as well.

"I could have had a dragon too, if my parents hadn't said it might burn down the house," Vera says. "Though, come to think of it, I guess maybe they had a point."

You retrieve your things from the nearby storage room, find the staircase you originally descended, and follow it up and out of the Cathedral. Nobody has sounded the alarm yet on your escape, and you manage to sneak out undetected.

Outside, it is night. You make your way through the alley next to the Cathedral and out to the street.

Vera inhales deeply. "Ah, the night air smells wonderful!"

You look forward to returning to Akriton. At least you found one mage in the Cathedral—one that you liked, anyway.

At first, you think you managed to lose the forces of the Church back in the Cathedral. You hurriedly rent horses and ride out of the capital without incident.

But a few hours down the road, you can see a formation of twelve torches following you in the darkness, perhaps a third of a mile away. You have little doubt these are inquisitors and Church guards.

You can't run away forever. Perhaps it's time to stop running and think of a way to keep the Church at bay permanently.

Chapter 5:Returning.

"I think they're gaining on us!" Vera says, looking back at the torchlights of your pursuers.

Though you have enhanced your horses' speed with vivomancy somewhat, the fact is that the horses you could find at a moment's notice late at night are not used to hard riding.

You wonder whether there's a more permanent way to keep the Church from following you.

1.Use a glamor and tell my pursuers to report me as dead.
2.Blast my pursuers with negation, leaving one to report that I'm not to be trifled with.

I just want to say that Verdigris was 300 gold very well spent. It's strange that they made you free Wizard Vera, but I guess the writer didn't think it was likely that people would decide not to trust her. I was confused by that vote too, since she's basically just imprisoned for the same things we did.

And yeah, based on what they’ve told us, it’s pretty clear they’re not interested in that.
Even if they wouldn't accept, the only sensible thing to do would still be to try. It's normal for choice-based games to let you try futile things, even! And it seems very likely that there would be some circumstances, like if we had high church relationship or something, where they'd be willing to accept it... but we're not even given the option.

I think it requires being able to resist the glamour to try and propose a more free relationship with the Church, I've seen the conversation on other playthroughs. When I've seen it, the heirophant refuses because the church doesn't think any individual mage deserves freedom outside the sainthood system.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:56:52 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 04, 2021, 04:29:05 pm »

Why do we not have any other options on how to not fight them? .-.

I do not want to just kill them, and as stated, I despise Glamor - not that we’re likely good enough to make it work, regardless.

Why couldn’t we use Vivomancy to disguise ourselves and transfigure something else as to look like our corpse?

Blegh. 2 is our only viable option, no matter how much I’d prefer to do something else. Seriously, we’re good enough at both Vivomancy and Subtlety that you’d think we could try an alternative course of action. I mean, hell, it’s nighttime. Hiding can’t be that difficult.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 04:30:59 pm by Glass »

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 04, 2021, 05:00:37 pm »

Seriously, we’re good enough at both Vivomancy and Subtlety that you’d think we could try an alternative course of action. I mean, hell, it’s nighttime. Hiding can’t be that difficult.

I think just the same...

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 04, 2021, 05:47:27 pm »

Other options would've been nice, though I'd probably have chosen to blast them anyway (and not leave any alive).

Also, really doesn't make any sense that we freed Vera while escaping, but I guess this is some kind of confirmation that she's a trustworthy person?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 04, 2021, 06:02:43 pm »

She does have a relationship value.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 04, 2021, 10:51:33 pm »

Nihilo.

"Enough," you say, slowing your horse and wheeling about. "I have to put an end to this."

Vera looks rather excited to hear you say this. "What are you going to do?" She follows you.

"It's got to be done," you murmur. (Increased Calculation.) (Increased Solemnity.) You draw all the negative energy you can muster, covering yourself with glowing black-and-purple tendrils of energy. It smells like barbecue. (Gained Negation.)

"Oh boy," Vera says, excited.

When your pursuers' formation is just a tournament field away, you point at them. "Nihilo magna!"

A black bolt streaks toward the riders, then explodes amid them. You hear a dull boom as the black-and-purple explosion consumes eleven of the twelve riders. The ball of negative energy emits its own eerie glow momentarily. Then there's nothing left but the dark of night where they stood. The horses, the torchlights—all are gone. (Decreased Church Relationship.)

The lone remaining rider takes off at a quick gallop back to the capital. You hope he delivers your message with the gravity it deserves. How many people is the hierophant willing to sacrifice to pursue you? Not that many, you hope.

"Awesome!" Vera says. (Increased Vera Relationship.)

It was almost frightening how easy that was, you think.

"Let's get going," you say, and you urge your horse toward Akriton.

You return to Akriton with Vera.

Along the way, you stop in the Crown Mountains to collect some gold from your automated mine. (Gained 200 Gold.)

The journey again takes a week on horseback—time enough for you both to digest the fact that you have just killed a bunch of people whom most would consider holy.

How does it feel to be a heretic?

1.I never meant for this to happen! My mind is in tumult.
2.This conflict was inevitable. But I will win.
3.My intentions are good. They'll eventually see that.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 04, 2021, 10:53:42 pm »

3 (Nevermind, see later posts)
I don't want to be an asshole.

1 is also valid. I don't approve of 2, though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:07:58 pm by Glass »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 04, 2021, 10:56:29 pm »

3 veers awful close to an "ends-justify-the-means" mindset...
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 04, 2021, 11:07:39 pm »

3 veers awful close to an "ends-justify-the-means" mindset...
Fair enough. I'll also amend my answer to 1, then.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 04, 2021, 11:48:42 pm »

Yeah, we really didn't intend this to happen, and given the choices we had, it felt like the only way to go. Though leaving one of the pursuers alive to "deliver a message" probably won't do us good.

So, 1.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 05, 2021, 12:31:57 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 56