Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32492 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #510 on: November 03, 2021, 12:48:40 pm »

4, then 2. I don’t want to make a final decision yet, before we get information.

And I suppose we really only had time for two questions in order to make an escape. Oh well.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 03, 2021, 01:43:55 pm »

4, then 2. I don’t want to make a final decision yet, before we get information.
+1

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 03, 2021, 07:24:29 pm »

4, then 2.

"Why persecute mages when the saints use magic as well?"

The hierophant sighs. "You must not be terribly familiar with the history. Magic as the ancients practiced it emphasized the individual above everything. Nobody believed that good works could advance one's station in life anymore. It was all about personal power. For those who could practice magic, elitism was the only sensible philosophy.

"Worse, the common people who could not master magic began to believe that they were obsolete. Magic replaced the craftsman with automation. It made commerce impossible without glamor. It made the soldier mere fodder for negation. Magic made the commoners angry at their lack of a place in the world. It began to turn the simple against the able. And the simple were more numerous, and angry.

"In this prideful world, on the brink of destruction as better negation spells were developed and the skies were thrown into havoc by automation, Abraxas saw a chance to start over. And now, two thousand years later, I argue that we have a better world. There is a place for all humanity. The saints may be elevated over humanity in some ways, but they are forced to be humble in others, and they must use their magic for good.

"Now, imagine if one person could thwart the system and become the only person with magic who does not follow the Church. Can you imagine the chaos that person could cause? Can you imagine the ego, the belief that just because that person can do something, he may as well?" The hierophant shakes her head. "We have a good system in place. Any clever person must see the wisdom in it. And anyone who insists on sacrificing the world order for their own personal glory is, I would argue, evil."

"It's a system that forces those with the most potential to serve and be humble," Sam says. "If we can become saints, then I'm willing to believe it works."

"What exactly is involved in becoming a saint?"

The hierophant smiles slightly, pleased that you asked.

"You must first turn over all your possessions to the Church," the hierophant says. "You effectively did this already, though you didn't quite know it—your possessions in the cart outside are already being sorted through.

"Those that are humble and not magical will be returned to you. Extravagant things will be sold. Magical writings go to the library. Magical items are destroyed.

"You would then normally take up lodging within the Cathedral to study the Book of Abraxas until you can pass a simple test," she says. "We must ensure your teachings are consistent with those of Abraxas, after all. But the test has become relatively easy over the years, and I don't doubt we could give you sufficient instruction to pass it here and now. Sam here would probably find it ridiculously easy."

"Probably," Sam says, somewhat resentfully.

"Once you pass, there is a small ceremony in this very room.

"And finally, we send you to a new part of the kingdom, where you are observed as you do good works." The hierophant raises her eyebrows. "Not so bad, yes? Nothing diabolical in the process, to be sure."

1."If Sam knows magic, can he become a saint, too?"
2."What would you have me do as a saint?"
3."Is it true that you spoke to Abraxas himself?"
4."Who will the next hierophant be, after you?"
5.Tell the truth: "No more questions—I'm ready to become a saint."
6.Dispel the glamors on the hierophant and the saints.
7.No more questions—make a break for it.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 03, 2021, 07:35:46 pm »

Hmn...

I feel like 2.
For ending the encounter, I'm very much struggling between joining the Saints and dispelling their glamours. I don't know what skill is needed to bolt, but I don't expect we have it; dispelling may be negation, though, which we're good at, even if not as good as vivomancy and automation - question how the hell did our automation shoot up so damn high?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 03, 2021, 08:39:36 pm »

Also unsure of what to choose to end the encounter, but leaning towards 6. Certainly not opting to become a saint, though.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 03, 2021, 09:52:10 pm »

- question how the hell did our automation shoot up so damn high?

I think it's always been high, the group uses it pretty often and you've gradually accumulated skill that way. You've also picked up a good bit of it wandering around the church.

What would you have us do?

"I'm so glad you asked," the hierophant says. "Most saints are wandering holy people, doing good works and spreading the word of the Church. And you would do that, at first, as all saints must. But I have something special in mind for you.

"I have been thinking of installing a new advisor to the queen," the hierophant continues. "Blessed Advisor Armand was an inquisitor before he obtained his current position. That inspires a certain rigidity of thinking. He does not know, for example, how the miracles of saints work at all. We have reason to think that the Magisterian Empire may prove a threat in the near future, and so a mage-turned-saint who lived on one of the border towns could prove a better advisor than one bound to tradition. I hope to thread the needle of using more magic without publicly admitting we are doing so."

Sam regards you with a look of shock, as if you had suddenly changed from one thing to another before his very eyes.

"I think you would serve her well," Sam says. "But I admit, I wish it could be me."

"Of course, you would be essentially relaying the positions of the Church to the queen, using your expertise to simply fill in the details," the hierophant says. "And we would need a trial period in which you were a normal saint first—we can't promote someone from nothing. But I think you would find it a prestigious and rewarding position."

"I'll do it if he doesn't want to," Saint Twimsby volunteers. "Ow!" He shoots an accusing look at Saint Ann, but she just stands there innocently.

1."If Sam knows magic, can he become a saint, too?"
2."Is it true that you spoke to Abraxas himself?"
3."Who will the next hierophant be, after you?"
4.Tell the truth: "No more questions—I'm ready to become a saint."
5.Dispel the glamors on the hierophant and the saints.
6.No more questions—make a break for it.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 03, 2021, 09:58:58 pm »

I think the question for me is "4 or 5?"
I think the question for some others is the same.
I think the question for various others is "5 or 6?"

I say we split the difference and pick 5. What will happen? Who the hell knows?

I think it's always been high, the group uses it pretty often and you've gradually accumulated skill that way. You've also picked up a good bit of it wandering around the church.
I knew it was reasonably high, but I think it was about where our Negation is when we entered the church. I'm pretty sure we managed to increase it four times while we were here.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 03, 2021, 10:28:40 pm »

Yeah, I'm fine with option 5, though it might end up badly (but maybe less so than 6).

I knew it was reasonably high, but I think it was about where our Negation is when we entered the church. I'm pretty sure we managed to increase it four times while we were here.

It was 7 when we entered the Cathedral. I counted 3 Automation gains since then, so either I missed the fourth, or talking to Abraxas gave us 2?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 04, 2021, 12:29:52 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 04, 2021, 11:41:48 am »

We attempt to dispel the glamor.

You draw magic from both the dark sun beneath your feet and the well of energy inside you, mingling them to ready for a flash of power that can fizzle out the hierophant and saints' glamors. The belief that they are good, righteous people is difficult to fight; in the end, you convince yourself that if they are good, they will still seem so when their glamors are gone.

Black and gold motes begin to visibly swirl around you. You pull them inside you, and they burn and sting as they enter. You feel a mounting queasiness in your stomach.

"Why are you doing that?" the hierophant asks. Is she nervous or just confused? You can't tell.

"Philautia omnes, antitha venenum aliorum!" you shout.

The energy within you is released with a flash. But your spell seems to do nothing. Perhaps they never had glamors at all? You're so confused.

"That magic is bad for you, child," the hierophant says sympathetically. "I understand you have a sincere desire for the truth, but you have to trust us."

You feel very unwell, and just nod your head and close your eyes.

"Let's find a place for you to rest," the hierophant says. "Somnia vellum dormituras…"

"What are you doing to Foo?" you dimly hear Sam say, before you lose consciousness.

When you awaken, you are in a dismal stone-walled cell that seems to be somewhere in the basement, and the hierophant, Saint Ann, and Saint Twimsby are outside it. Your hands are bound behind your back, so you can't cast spells.

You're not sure where Sam is.

You're also not certain where Verdigris is. That's upsetting. Nevertheless, you're optimistic that you'll see her again. She always seemed smart.

"I apologize, but all that is for your own protection," the hierophant says. "You seem to have some pernicious ideas, and I'd prefer it if you didn't cast spells until we have more of a chance to talk."

1."Friendship requires trust. Untie me if you want to start things off right."
2."Is it true that you spoke to Abraxas himself?"
3."Who will the next hierophant be, after you?"
4.Tell the truth: "No more questions—I'm ready to become a saint."
5.Tell the hierophant I'll never become a saint.

My mods and forum games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 04, 2021, 12:21:53 pm »

I do not like glamor one goddamned ounce .-.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 04, 2021, 12:37:51 pm »

Here we see the seat of my longtime frustration with Choice Of games. None of these choices - none of the choices last turn, either, for that matter - are what I actually want to be able to say in this situation. It feels like the choices were made by some kind of robot with no interiority or something, which simply does not comprehend what is actually important about the scene at all.

I abstain.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 04, 2021, 01:07:34 pm »

While I’m of the opinion that the Church clearly has its reasons for what it’s done and is doing, I simply do not agree with their methods, especially not their widespread use of Glamor. That stuff reeks to me of Bad ShitTM. I don’t like the idea of using it, I don’t like it getting used on us, I would much prefer is straight-up not exist.

Sorry, Sam, but I’m voting 5. I’d rather not do this, but our hand has been forced.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 04, 2021, 01:13:29 pm »

Not even an option to say, "you know what, you've convinced me, I'm giving up magic completely, you can put surveillance on me for the rest of my life if you need to, I just want a quiet life on a farm with a wife and kids someday where I don't die of magical cancer caused by mind-control."

It feels like the idea that life itself could be precious for its own sake does not occur to the writer.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 56