Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32500 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #480 on: October 31, 2021, 02:17:34 pm »

We don't trust Vera.

"Well, thanks for satisfying my curiosity," you say. "I hope your parents come for you sometime."

"You're leaving me here?" Vera says, astonished. "Are you kidding? You can't do that!"

Sam winces with guilt, but he does turn to go.

As you leave, Vera shouts, "You'll regret crossing Wizard Vera! I swear it!"

You continue down the block of cells, as Sam inspects empty cells with increasing dismay.

After another cell block, you come to a locked metal door on the left-hand side.

You cast a spell of automation to unlock the door, and electricity courses through it until you hear the snick of the lock turning. (Gained Automation.)

Inside the room, you find a trove of items taken from prisoners, including the book of divination magic that Vera told you about. (Gained Divination.)

There aren't many other items in the room, and you suspect this is just a temporary holding place for the goods of the incarcerated. All the other leftovers must be the usual detritus that accumulates in any lost and found. You gather the items that look the most valuable. (Gained 324 Gold.)

You leave the storage room and continue down the corridor.

Stone gargoyles stand watch over the heavy pair of iron doors at the end of the corridor. Two unlit braziers stand to either side of the doors. Someone has used negation magic to burn the word "RUN" into the stone floor at the threshold, but someone else used negation magic to cross this out and write "REPENT" instead.

"This must be the entrance to 'Hell,'" Sam murmurs. "The final end of the unrepentant."

You try the door. It seems unlocked.

1.Let's go in! I'm not afraid of whatever's in there.
2.I'll cast a divination to look for another path.
3.Let's just sneak around and look for secret passages.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 31, 2021, 02:35:36 pm »

Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 31, 2021, 04:20:42 pm »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 31, 2021, 08:09:01 pm »

We sneak around.

You sneak around the basement, looking for some other way to go besides the intimidating room at the end of the corridor. You look in cells, poke at walls, and try to do all this as stealthily as you can.

The most promising room in the vicinity is small, about the size of the other cells, except that in the center of this one there's a small square altar with an unlit candle on each of its corners.

A gilt Eye of Abraxas on a small stand adorns the center of the altar.

1.I kneel before the altar.
2.I try pulling on the golden Eye of Abraxas.
3.I cast an automation to set whatever this is in motion.

Hey, this is new for me. The last group I ran through this game got themselves captured with that last choice.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 31, 2021, 08:12:05 pm »

Such are the benefits of 5 Subtlety.

As for the decision... hmn.
There's no indication besides option 3 that this thing even is something that can be put to work using Automation, but the suggestion that it is is too good to pass up with 8 in the school.
3, let's do it.

(I am also good with 1, but I don't think 2 is a good idea whatsoever.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 31, 2021, 08:39:03 pm »

Sure, 3

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 01, 2021, 12:42:33 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 01, 2021, 12:48:53 am »

We cast an automation spell.

You cast your automation spell, and electricity arcs from the ceiling to the golden Eye of Abraxas, then cascades down the front of the altar to where you may have knelt. (Gained Automation.)

You hear a click, and the stone wall at the back of the room grinds open to reveal a secret passage.

To your surprise, the corridor beyond is well lit by globes set in the ceiling that emit a warm yellow light. The floor has a red carpet, and oil paintings of saints decorate the walls.

You are about to proceed into the passage when Sam kneels at the altar, gives a quick prayer, and then gets up. "It's still an altar to Abraxas," he explains.

You suppose you could do the same; perhaps that would make Sam happy.

1.Pray aloud to Abraxas at the altar.
2.Pray silently to whatever powers may be at the altar.
3.Demur and suggest getting a move on.

My mods and forum games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 01, 2021, 01:17:22 am »

It is still an altar to Abraxas.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 01, 2021, 01:25:10 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 01, 2021, 09:51:24 am »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 01, 2021, 10:49:36 am »

We pray to Abraxas.

"Abraxas, thank you for protecting us so far on our journey…" You try to come up with a good prayer that will satisfy Sam.

And indeed, you manage to make it sound pretty good; Sam seems content with it. "All right," he says. "We can move on." (Increased Sam Relationship.)

You shrug. "Sorry," you say.

You continue down the secret corridor to its end. There, stone angels encircle a simple wooden door. The door is unlocked, so you push it open.

The circular, domed room you enter now looks like a vision of heaven, with a gilded throne standing on a dais in the center, and a mural encircling the room depicting a cloud city full of angels. The room is awash in soft light from a giant orb suspended by a gilded rod from the dome above—and again, you're fairly certain it is powered by automation magic.

An ablutionary font stands to one side of the throne; the water inside looks fresh. To the other side is a stand with a flask of gin and a tray of cookies, both of the kind commonly used for ending sacred fasts.

"I believe this is where saints are made," Sam says. "Though Heaven appears not to currently be in session." He sighs. "Ah, but who am I kidding? I wanted this. I still want this, somehow."

"So if you're loyal to the Church, you can be made a saint here?" you ask.

"The criteria are…unclear," Sam says. "I think perhaps you also need to display some promise for magic."

Noticing the look of surprise on your face, Sam says, "I know. It does seem like the height of hypocrisy, slaying wizards while employing its own, doesn't it? To be honest, I'm not entirely certain that is how it works. It's very secretive even within the Church. But I think that's the only way I can explain everything I know. The saints must use glamors to compel the worship of those around them. Even at the expense of their health—rot must be why they tend to die young."

"And you still…want to be one of them, in some way?" you ask.

"The saints spread messages of faith, hope, and love," Sam says. "Not just obedience. And they sacrifice themselves for that message. I think there's something beautiful about that."

"Is there something you want to do here, then?" you ask.

Sam shakes his head. "I will find some other way to devote my life to faith, love, and hope. Let's continue." (Increased Sam Relationship.)

There are two exits to the room in addition the open entrance you came through. The stone frieze above the door to your left depicts a row of books, like a stone bookshelf. The stone frieze above the door directly across from you depicts an Eye of Abraxas.

1.I take a moment to pray at the ablutionary font.
2.I wreck this phony place.
3.Enter the door with the frieze depicting books.
4.Enter the door with the frieze depicting the Eye of Abraxas.
5.Cast a divination to learn about the two rooms beyond.

My mods and forum games.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 01, 2021, 11:26:34 am »

Books! Books! Books! Books!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 56