Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32525 times)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #405 on: October 23, 2021, 09:35:47 am »

We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 23, 2021, 09:52:00 am »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 23, 2021, 11:14:25 pm »

We'll go to the capital.

"Splendid!" Blessed Sam says. "You'd better start packing! Meet us by the north gate!" He runs off.

You wonder what you've agreed to. Sam seems fairly convinced that there is somehow a future in the Church for you where you can cast spells without repercussion. You suspect it's more complicated than that.

The inquisitors hire an additional wagon to carry all your things, but you ride in their wagon, along with their guards and equipment. It's a rather tight squeeze.

The guards are personable but not very interesting to talk to. They talk about the nice weather and ask about each other's families.

The guards play a card game, but you decide to remain alert instead of joining in. Their terrible play convinces you it was the right decision.

As the card game progresses, you overhear Blessed Jacob and Blessed Sam conversing in the front of the wagon.

"Do you remember, south of Akriton, we ran into Saint Keela?" Sam says to Jacob.

"She seemed to be doing well," Jacob says guardedly.

"Didn't she look a bit to you like Wizard Sarah?" Sam says. "The one we picked up in Triton a year ago?"

"What are you suggesting?" Blessed Jacob says.

"Nothing, I suppose," Sam says. "You didn't see a resemblance?"

"I saw a resemblance," Blessed Jacob admits. "Are you suggesting they're the same person?"

"I was not making that suggestion."

"Because you had better not be telling me that you think the saints are all just disguised wizards or something."

"No, no, not at all!" Sam says nervously. "There's a lot more to it than that!"

"Good," Jacob says. "Now, tell that to 'Scribe Foo' back there."

Blessed Sam turns around to speak to you in the back of the wagon. "I'm sorry if that conversation was confusing to listen to. The saints are very special people, and not because of their power. They are known as some of the most humble and good people in history. They are nothing like the mages of old, bending the world to their will. They're more like shepherds, tending to the Church's flock."

1."I don't really see the difference you're getting at."
2."Okay, good to know."
3."Well, I'm interested in becoming a saint. I think I'm humble and good."

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 24, 2021, 12:40:57 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 24, 2021, 01:11:34 am »

Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 24, 2021, 11:47:16 am »

Good to know.

You accept Sam's small lecture affably and with little comment. Sam, looking slightly disappointed that you didn't want to talk more about it, turns back around.

"See, not even Scribe Foo wants to hear you talk," Blessed Jacob says.

"Now, that's just mean," Sam says, but it's sort of true. (Decreased Sam Relationship.)

After a long pause, Blessed Sam says, "All I'm saying—"

"Shut up," Blessed Jacob says.

"—is that I think Abraxas may sometimes need unusual materials—"

"Shut up," Blessed Jacob says.

"—to craft his best work."

"You done?"

"Yes."

The card game finishes. While you're tempted to play to show them how it's done, you decide that wouldn't achieve anything.

That evening, when the wagon makes camp, Sam sits apart from everyone else with his dragon Thomas, by his own little fire that Thomas started. He is reading your vivomancy book, its original cover still hidden by his leather book jacket. The others take little notice of this, though the guards make fun of him a little for always having his nose in a book.

You try to go off and do something similar with a book of your own—a history book, not even magical—but immediately get pestered by the guards and Jacob about how reading a book of magic is not allowed. Jacob still doesn't trust you even when you flip through the pages for him. You suppose it makes sense that they trust Sam but not you.

What will you do instead of read when you break for camp each night?

1.Exercise.
2.Chat with the guards.
3.Create subtle distractions so Sam can practice magic.
4.Flirt with Sam.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 24, 2021, 11:49:17 am »

It'd probably be good to practice our charisma, and maybe learn some stuff about where we're going.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 24, 2021, 01:26:18 pm »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 24, 2021, 03:25:58 pm »

We talk to the guards.

You try joining the guards in conversation each night. The conversation is mostly about the goings-on of their families, mixed with a little of the story they tell themselves about how the world is in decline and it's up to them to stop the rising tide of sin. You practice seeming interested and find that the more you listen, the more interesting it is. (Gained Charisma.) (Increased Empathy.)

The rest of the journey passes in a similar manner, with Blessed Sam covertly studying magic at night, Blessed Jacob arguing with Sam about dogma during the day, and the guards continuing to be mostly uninteresting.

After a week's journey north, crossing the River Mnemos and making your way through the Crown Mountains via Cat's Pass, you see the ancient spires of Edra, capital of the kingdom of Eirinia.

You have always thought Akriton itself old, but it is another thing entirely to see tall stone monuments that have weathered two thousand years. The towers you can see from a distance reflect a variety of changing architectural tastes over the centuries, from minarets wrapped with spiral staircases to bulbous onion domes. These old structures are often patched with several shades of newer clay and plaster.

Three towers of the Cathedral stand taller than the rest: one containing an ever-burning flame that symbolizes the House of Flame; another containing a mirrored orb that symbolizes the House of Sun; and a third bell tower that rises above either of these, adorned with a golden Eye of Abraxas. Even the weathered gray domes of the queen's palace stand somewhat shorter than any of these.

"Home sweet home," Sam says wistfully, looking up at the mirrored orb of the House of Sun. He grins over at Blessed Jacob. "Another successful mission."

"Could've been more successful," Blessed Jacob grumbles.

A steady river of people and wagons moves in and out of the city's south gate, under the watch of guards in plate mail stationed atop a huge iron portcullis.

The inquisitors' wagon continues through the gate and enters the capital. This apparently marks the end of the guards' mission, and Blessed Jacob dispenses their pay from a small chest that had been sitting up front with the inquisitors. The guards all disperse from the wagon.

"We give them a little time to spend their earnings right away, before heading back to the Cathedral," Sam explains. "From the way you're looking all around, I take it you've never been to the capital. If you'd like to explore for a little bit before the guards are supposed to return, I think we can oblige." He casts a questioning look at Jacob, who shrugs in resignation.

Would you like to do any shopping in the capital before heading to the Cathedral? Since the laws against magic are more strictly enforced here, you are unlikely to find anything magical—not that Sam and Jacob would let you buy that stuff anyway—but their selection of other items should be good.

(You have 610 gold.)

1.Yes, I wish to purchase weapons and armor.
2.Yes, I wish to purchase some classier attire.
3.Yes, I wish to go shopping for books.
4.Yes, I wish to go shopping for exotic pets.
5.Yes, I wish to go to Ek's So Pious Very Churchly Supplies.
6.No, I don't want to waste any time. Let's go to the Cathedral.

I'd have cut the shops into their individual parts like I did before, but some of them have more complex interactions inside and I didn't want to trigger any plot consequences making a choice you didn't vote for.

My mods and forum games.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 24, 2021, 04:16:24 pm »

Books, but other stuff is fine too.

another containing a mirrored orb that symbolizes the House of Sun

So, something like a giant disco ball atop the tower?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 24, 2021, 04:37:09 pm »

another containing a mirrored orb that symbolizes the House of Sun

So, something like a giant disco ball atop the tower?

Probably. :P

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 24, 2021, 04:42:03 pm »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 24, 2021, 05:57:23 pm »

Books! Books! Books!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 56