Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 56

Author Topic: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics  (Read 32423 times)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion game]Choice of Magics
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2021, 07:48:09 pm »

Because there is good vivomancy, neutral vivomancy, and evil vivomancy. I am good with the first two and against the third.
Turtle polymorph definitely falls under the third.

Magic has no specific alignment. You say you only use good magic which indicates that you disdain evil actions but you just stole a dragons literal baby while it was distracted. PICK A SIDE. I redirect you to my earlier post. I get that this is a game and all, and I’m probably taking these too far, but I freaking disdain hypocrites.

This is hypocrisy and I will not stand for it.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2021, 08:01:51 pm »

you just stole a dragons literal baby while it was distracted. PICK A SIDE.
I voted for the choice of sneaking past the dragon, without foreknowledge of the outcome. As it turned out, that involved stealing the eggs. That's not my fault, and frankly, it's probably better than straight-up killing the dragon, which I believe you were voting for.

I also disdain hypocrites, but I quite certainly have not been one in this game. What I have done is try to pick options that weren't morally objectionable based on what we were told of them - something you've gone against on most occasions.

EDIT:
Magic has no specific alignment.
Well yeah, that's why vivomancy can come in each moral alignment. But actions definitely have alignments, and some types of magic lend themselves more toward one than another (there's not that many good applications of Negation, for example, though as we saw with the specter, there are some). Turning people into turtles is going to be almost always evil vivomancy, at least if done capriciously (and frankly, with the glee you refer to using it for that purpose on a bunch of people, it definitely sounds like you want to use it capriciously), while healing people is going to almost always be good vivomancy, and using it to manipulate objects is generally neutral and depends on the purpose.

EDIT2:
Put simply, while turning people into tortoises may require good vivomancy, wanting to become good at vivomancy does not imply wanting to turn people into tortoises, and it is not hypocrisy to want to become good at vivomancy but not want to use it for the purpose of unwillingly polymorphing other people.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 09:43:15 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2021, 01:55:06 am »

I still don't see why we need to be the good guy, it's boring!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2021, 06:43:51 am »

I still don't see why we need to be the good guy, it's boring!

I like you King Zultan, go out with me lol

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2021, 11:31:53 am »

I'm here to vote against whatever Chron picked

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:37:05 am by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2021, 04:27:21 pm »

We blast the ceiling. Sorry for the long wait. I'm especially busy lately.

"Nihilo magna!" you cry, and a black bolt flies to the ceiling and explodes, causing rocks to rain down on you. Through the purple-and-black haze that remains, sunlight dimly filters into the chasm. (Gained Negation.)

Conveniently, you're already sporting wings. "Hop on!" you say to Tal.

"This is crazy," Tal says, following your instructions. "My best friend has wings, and now I'm just hopping on for a ride. No biggie."

And with that, you fly through the negative-energy cloud, out of the cavern and into the sky, clutching the dragon's egg to your chest. The ever-present thunderclouds above you look a bit peeved, like an ant colony that's been kicked. You look down and see your serving-tray companion stalwartly flying after you, carrying the mottled dragon eggs.

You also see the cavern collapsing—apparently the final hole you punched through it was enough to remove its keystone and bring the whole thing down. You won't be returning anytime soon.

"Aw," Tal says, rubbing your shoulder to cheer you up. "Don't be sad. Look at it this way. You could have gone your whole life without ever seeing that library. But now you have seen it, and you can pursue your dreams. It may be the end of one thing, but it's the beginning of another. Isn't that exciting?"

"Yeah," you say. "It is." You've dreamed of being a wizard all your life. The ability to shape reality with mere thought and will seemed almost a fairy tale, but you finally have the tomes necessary to make it real.

The inquisitors will surely come for you again. People have vanished for knowing less than what you know. A conflict with the Church seems inevitable.

"The end of one thing is the beginning of another," Tal repeats. "That's how it always is. And I have a feeling this is the beginning of something big."

Chapter 2:Home

The skies over the kingdom have not been clear since the time of the ancients. The Eternal Storm they created two thousand years ago with their automation magic continues to make the world a gray, rainy place. At the moment, a light drizzle dampens your wings, but the storm isn't as bad as it could be. Thunder crashes off to your right, somewhere along the coast of the Negative Sea.

The Negative Sea is the huge bank of black-and-purple fog stretching along the eastern border of the kingdom from north to south. Accidentally created at the end of the Great War two thousand years ago, it blocks all passage to the lands to the east—the lands of the Neighbors, once known as the Magisterian Empire. Whether the Neighbors even still exist is a matter of speculation, but the mile-high Negative Sea is certainly real. Composed of dense negative-energy residue, it could dissolve anything that ventured inside.

The plains to the west are scraggly and barren. It's early spring, and new growth is just starting to peek through the tan soil, but you can already see barren trails where "death clouds" have broken away from the Negative Sea and scoured their way across the countryside. As the misty negative residue is relatively heavy, it travels low to the ground—which is just as well, as you're not sure what would happen if the Eternal Storm ever mixed with a death cloud.

You land a mile outside Akriton, in a forest called the Mild Woods, so that you don't draw too much attention on your return. You painfully pull your wings back into your body.

"Back to reality, I guess," Tal says, echoing your thoughts. She looks up at the thunderheads above. "This doesn't look too bad, actually. We should be fine to get home."

By the time you and Tal get back to town, it's sunset. The market in the town square is being disassembled for the day, with canopies rolled up and tentpoles stacked. The scrawny sheep and heifers of the meat market are being herded down the street back to their pastures, complaining with bleats and moos. Some construction has halted for the day, the tall wood-and-rope pulley systems covered with tarps in case it rains tonight.

The market has emptied fast, leaving only Saint Ann sitting cross-legged on a rug, dispensing advice to her last parishioner. The white-robed saint has offered healing and holy visions to Akriton for years, and her aura of holiness is palpable.

"This is where we part ways," Tal says. "Thanks for the adventure." She lifts her pack, laden with whatever artifacts she could get her hands on; you can see old tomes and silver jewelry peeking through its opening. "Mom was going to lose the house, but not anymore—I'm headed straight to the bank tomorrow, not even going to let her touch this stuff."

"Not keeping anything for yourself?" you say.

Tal shrugs. "I don't know, maybe if there's something left. Don't worry about it."

"Wait a moment," calls Saint Ann.

"Tal, your leg didn't heal right," Saint Ann says, pointing. "Whoever did that put you in danger of an infection. Let me fix it."

Neither you nor Tal has been in any trouble with the Church before, so you're uncertain how to proceed. You think the saints act somewhat independently from the Church. Could she have received a vision of the death of the inquisitor you met?

But Saint Ann has an aura of holiness that makes it difficult to mistrust her.

"I'm sorry, Marie," Saint Ann says to the plain-looking brunette who is her last client.

"It's no trouble," her parishioner insists. "I think I was done."

"Then go with Abraxas."

The plain-looking woman leaves. She looks familiar, but you can't place her.

1.Encourage Tal to get healing from Saint Ann.
2.Forget healing. Ask Saint Ann how much she knows about our day.
3.Ask Saint Ann for a vision of my future, ignoring the suggestion of healing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2021, 05:24:58 pm »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2021, 07:21:54 pm »

She can heal naturally. The wound isn’t that bad.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2021, 11:15:54 pm »

Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2021, 02:18:09 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2021, 10:39:48 am »

We encourage Tal to get healing.

"You may as well," you tell Tal. (Increased Optimism.)

"Yeah, better that than get some kind of weird growth where you cursed me," Tal says. You can tell she intended it to be a joke, but it didn't come out that way.

Tal goes to Saint Ann, kneels, and pushes her armor out of the way of where her wound was.

Saint Ann's hand glows, and you see tiny wriggling life in the beams of light that are drawn into it. It reminds you of vivomancy, but this magic is more impressive in a way that you find hard to describe. Ann presses her hand to Tal's leg and murmurs a short prayer under her breath, and the wound seals.

"Now, let me see if I have some advice for you as well," Saint Ann says. She puts her thumb and forefinger to her temples and mutters another nearly inaudible prayer. "Tal, the time is coming when it will be better to reveal…everything. People fear what is unfamiliar more than the familiar. With friends in high places, anything is possible. Do you understand?"

You're somewhat taken aback—surely Ann is suggesting Tal reveal she is a shapeshifter.

"Okay, thanks," Tal says, frowning. She clearly doesn't quite believe being open is a good idea.

Saint Ann winces and puts a hand on her abdomen. "I think that must be my last miracle. Possibly my last in Akriton, since I'm leaving tomorrow."

"Where are you going?" you ask, again worried this is connected to the inquisitor.

"The capital," Ann says. "I need…some rest." She smiles sadly. "I haven't ever had a holiday since coming here, did you know? Not once."

"Well, good luck," you say, still uncertain as to what is happening with Saint Ann.

"I'm afraid I'm out of luck," Saint Ann says. "But, if I never see you again, I want you to remember this: I don't regret being a saint. Not for one moment. Life always comes to an end. All we can do is live it beautifully."

You aren't sure what to say to this, and during your hesitation, Saint Ann departs.

You then say good night to Tal as well.

You're vaguely curious about the plight of Saint Ann, but not enough to risk casting a divination that could reveal you know magic.

You proceed to the home of Banker Sara, whose basement you rent, and struggle with the storm doors as you try to conceal all the random artifacts you picked up from the academy. You have a feeling there was a clause prohibiting the storage of forbidden artifacts somewhere in that long contract you signed to rent the place.

Working the doors open, you proceed into your basement abode.

What does it look like, overall?

1.It's filled with mementos reminding me of friends and family.
2.The floor is dominated by a giant map of all the ruins I know about.
3.I use a bunch of quirky ancient junk as furniture.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2021, 10:51:27 am »

2 or 3
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2021, 10:57:40 am »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 56