Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [OOC] [Sign Ups Open] Frontier Breaker M.A.W.: Far Future Mecha Combat  (Read 1459 times)

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frontier Breaker M.A.W.

The premise is simple. It is the year 2307 AD, and the asteroid bound Trojan Coalition is at war with the Transatlantic Union. Claiming it to be an unfortunate, if necessary measure towards their liberation from the whims of distant colonial masters, the Coalition embarked on a grand offensive to push back the TAU’s army at all costs, and secure Trojan dominance over the resource rich Martian colonies in the hopes of forcing the TAU into accepting unfavorable terms, or face a long and humiliating defeat. None of this has happened, and for the past year the Trojan Coalition has been locked in an uneasy truce with the TAU, with both sides seemingly too battered by the long and bloody war to invade the other, and yet too mired in pride and sheer spite to accept anything less but the other’s inevitable defeat.

It is an age of war, an age where the ambitions of men drive them to commit acts of great cruelty or great courage, and where even the unlikeliest of concepts are pursued in search of something, anything that could give one side the edge it needed to triumph over the other, and claim a final victory. And it is in this age that necessity, and unrelated innovations in the field of compact power generation and artificial musculature has culminated in the development of the Multi-purpose Armored Walker.

Heavily armored walking tanks with their roots in armored hardsuit and industrial machinery. Each MAW is an instrument of death purpose designed to operate in low and zero gravity conditions, and utilize its cutting edge electronic warfare suite to bridge the gap in ship to ship combat, and sink enemy ships with support allied bombers and ship mounted artillery. They were one and all glorified fighter jets-cum-tanks, but for a little while it gave the TAU the technological edge they needed to push the Trojans back, until the first Coalition MAWs rolled off the line, and the war ground to a halt once more.

But just as one innovation became a standard, another would take its place, as the TAU’s Advanced Research Projects Agency put the finishing touches on their latest scientific marvel, the Yukawa Jet, and sent their Jet equipped experimental Philadelphia class heavy battleship out for testing. It was supposed to be a simple test, with an intentionally skeletal crew of freshly trained officers and recruits, and just enough war materiel to learn what side effects if any should be expected after a jump, and allow the crew to hold out for rescue if a system or operator error took them deep into enemy territory. And to safeguard against the potential death of the crew, the battleship was even equipped with a last generation AI programmed to prevent the ship and its secrets from falling into Trojan hands among many other systems.

Unfortunately an unexpected assault on ARPA’s lunar base by the Trojan army forced the untested crew into battle, and as one allied ship and bunker fell after another, the Philadelphia’s captain made the decision to activate the Yukawa Jet to make their escape into the relative safety of near Earth orbit, only for a stray round to pierce its hull, and tear a hole into the Jet’s housing. Witnesses reported a brilliant flash of white light enveloping the Philadelphia and everything around it, before finally fading away to reveal nothing but empty space. Two ships disappeared on that day, both the Philadelphia and the front half of the Trojan warship “Prometheus” seemingly never to be seen again, just another tragedy among many in the never ending war.

Of course, no one expected the people on board the missing ships to survive, but when the crew of the Philadelphia blinked back into reality once more, and found themselves with a crippled drive, a makeshift brig full of Trojan MAW and starship pilots, and a good view of an unfamiliar world covered in strange machinery; most wondered if that was really a good thing. No one knew any of the stars here after all.

Frontier Breaker M.A.W. is my attempt at learning how to write for proper mecha combat. Expect it to have a decently real robot tone as befitting an RP inspired primarily by various Mobile Suit Gundam series, Martian Successor Nadesico, and what I’ve heard about ‘the good’ Star Trek.

I am currently looking for about four to six players. Although I’m leaning on the lower end as I genuinely believe that keeping a lower player count helps to ensure that everyone has their shot at the limelight, and also I don’t want to run a big game to begin with.

Spoiler: Basic Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Setting Lore (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Thanks and Credits (click to show/hide)

Link to the Discord Server: Here
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:10:58 am by cronos5010 »
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] [Recruiment Open] Frontier Breaker M.A.W.: Far Future Mecha Combat
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 01:07:47 am »

This post is reserved for example characters, and accepted characters.
Spoiler: Example Build 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example Build 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example Build 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example Build 4 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:27:27 pm by cronos5010 »

ctsun

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 01:18:36 am »

Pop a reserve.

Spoiler: in progress (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:17:10 am by ctsun »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 12:20:55 pm »

Spoiler: Score (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:49:56 pm by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 01:18:24 pm »

Spoiler: Chip (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:40:49 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 02:24:56 pm »

Wait which side are we on?
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 03:36:33 pm »

I think we’re the TAU.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 04:03:11 pm »

Spoiler:  Jank (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:57:48 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 04:04:38 pm »

Looks like neither to me.  This looks like a stranded group composed of members from both sides.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 07:28:52 pm »

I know nothing except that I must plane
Spoiler: Spirit (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 08:29:54 am by Strider03 »
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 07:43:24 pm »

Spoiler: Polaris (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:20:29 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 11:22:39 pm »

Neither side, the party starts as an alliance of convenience between the inexperienced crew of the Philadelphia, and whatever's left of the Promethean's crew. The players can come from either faction really but you'd have to be people who can be trusted to work for the greater good of "Figuring out where the hell we are" and "Not dying or starving to death".

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] [Sign Ups Open] Frontier Breaker M.A.W.: Far Future Mecha Combat
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 06:39:04 pm »

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 11:33:28 pm »

Sign Ups will close on the 5th of October, as that will give me and any potential players ample time to hash out their characters and lore. I am still looking for about 4 to 6 players in the end naturally, and will be offering input on sheets pretty much whenever I can be bothered to do so in between real life and working on more example builds or lore.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 08:11:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Pages: [1] 2