Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more Adventuring Buddies?  (Read 1898 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
No more Adventuring Buddies?
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

Has the new version removed skilled villager companions?  I've been wandering around my town for quite a while and there are none at all.  I never adventure with drunks, and it wouldn't be as much fun without companions to roleplay.  Are they only in large cities?

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Muffles ]

Shoes...

Fenrir

Re: No more Adventuring Buddies?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

I've not seen any yet, but you can now adventure with anyone who has an adventurous spirit, so maybe you could round up mob of peasants.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

Well, can you at least equip peasants with weapons?
Shoes...

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

No, you can't.   :(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

Curses, now I have to decide between friends and a fleshed-out world...
Shoes...

Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »

Go with the fleshed-out world. Friends never last long anyway.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

Mine tended to last quite a while and if one died it was generally a sign of an imminent TPK.
Shoes...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

It doesn't place mercenaries like it used to, but they should be back at some point.  You'll occasionally find a former guard who didn't get a new guard job when they moved to a new town, and they are just a soldier unit that you can snatch up, but that's very rare.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

How are you supposed to tell who has an adventurous spirit or not?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

Ask everyone in town...   I didn't find anyone, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

I had to go one town over in order to find one drunk to go adventuring with me.  He was even hiding upstairs so I wouldn't find him.

That giant cave spider we ran into four steps into the cave was probably why.

EDIT: Oh, hey, just thought of something.  It's a bit work-intensive for its gain, but it's something.  Start out an adventurer from a particular civ (smaller would probably be better), and make your way to a specific town that you can remember.  Once there, retire the adventurer.  

Repeat this process, making sure to retire in the same town each time.  Eventually, you should have a little pack of custom-tailored adventurers to join your party.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

With the bonus of being able to change who leads the party, and re-equip everyone after they inevitably lose everything, I think. It could take a while, all that loading time, but it would be very fun afterwards.

I'm sort of trying that now. I have a dwarf hiding in Sensualdeep, who fights with a steel shield. I was going to find him a weapon, but honestly, he does better without one!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

It works, but it's incredibly time-consuming, and given DF's unpredictable combat, this time is often wasted.
Shoes...