Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new adventure mode  (Read 2533 times)

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
new adventure mode
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

Aventure Mode just got very cool.

As human adventurer, I just found a empty ghost town, with a unfinished building. There are large Roaches around.

Tell me about your findings

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: new adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:14:00 am »

What's up with those two extra windows on the left?

Edit: Alright, the bottom one is the minimap.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Sheogorath ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

Bottom one is minimap, top one shows nearby towns/important areas.  They're compass directions.

ElectricEel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

I started as an elf in a lone, isolated forest retreat surrounded by goblin fortresses. The druids in the area asked me to kill the demon the goblins were worshipping. I also killed the goblin high priest while I was in the goblin fortress.

It's nice to see the new historical events in art pieces. I've seen one depicting the founding of a religion, and apparently the pictures on coins frequently depict the changes in the leadership of their civilization.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

I went into an armour shop and talked to the shopkeeper, and he welcomed me to his store! Woah, so now even shops have their own names, Toady really outdid himself this time!
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

I got a quest from a mayor to go kill a cyclops and he told me in a wise old sage style voice, "Go, with poetry".

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

Now I found an elven retreat, along a river... their greeting is "praise rivers"   :D

Toady, keep going that way. This game is gonna be a great thing.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

I talked to a human who bid me farewell by saying: "When you return to this place, it would be wise to consider war"

And I also noticed there are elf drunks.

And I talked with Ulin, The God of Beauty.

And I that discovered this new adventure mode is great fun.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: LASD ]

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

It seems that with every version there is fewer of fighter type NPCs (Swordsmen, Macemen and so on). In this version so far I have found _none_. I've got one drunk, but he is so damn useless.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

Its not all bad, despite not getting any companions, I managed to make a Giant Cave Spider vomit by throwing a gold coin at it. Epic. I still died though, I should have remained in melee combat, but I stepped back and it shot its web at me.

Fenrir

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

Temples are a pain. I have to chase the high priest all over to join, but the god won't talk to me. Then I find myself three stories up and I don't feel like walking all the way down...

Whiskey_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

All this complexity lends itself to a very natural but totally random world each time the game is run. I experimented with starting a human female hammer-wielder, and ran around the starting town with a horde of drunks until we found... THE ABBEY OF INKING. It was there that I met the High Priest Iwo Rujitsana (after spending half the day chasing them down. Apparently all priests express worship by running laps around the temple), and dedicated my life to Ur Greencopper, deity of jewels. Upon my dedication, Iwo exclaimed, "Fantastic! As a member of the Red Coven of Boulders, you can now seek the higher mysteries of jewels."
Upon asking for a mighty quest, Iwo gently reproached my zeal, saying, "All you need is to go with jewels."

This whole process lends itself to a much richer world, that will eventually effect the civilization-building Fortress Mode. For the moment, it's fascinating to see towns dedicated to certain deities; conversing with the Mayor of the town in which the ABBEY OF INKING resides, he casually mentioned on our parting, "It is a wise soul who ponders the depth of jewels upon arising each morning."

Then I got killed by a Giant Cave Spider.

I want to note, Toady, that it is a small comfort to be able to pray to your deity while facing down an unbeatable foe. It's only a pity that Ur Greencopper had nothing to say about my plight.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Whiskey_Ninja ]

he name says it all.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

I discovered that my dracon apperantly worship a carp.

I find that both distressing and amusing at the same time.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

I found a shop founded in 160.  That's one freaking old shop right there.
I recruited a drunk right off the bat and then felt bad when I found their family in town.  Sorry kids, I'm taking your elder sister off to distract spiders for me while I kill this minotaur.  There actually weren't any spiders, wonder of wonders, but the drunk still got killed (bad luck with a giant rat).  Is there any way to de-recruit the drunks?
The compass directions are so handy when you're trying to find the cave or what have you, and the minimap is great for finding your way around a town.

EDIT:  Just found a shop that was founded in year 1.  Now THAT is an old shop.

AND AGAIN:  Just found my first new version Giant Cave Spider.  I managed to kill it in melee and take no damage.  I had pretty rockin' skills at this point, but that never saved me before.  Either the rumors of GCS nerfing are true, or I just got incredibly lucky and will soon suffer some horrible fate to balance the cosmic scales.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: JoRo ]

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: JoRo ]

You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

I found a village where everyone worshiped the god of lies, or maybe they were just lying. (It's hard to tell)
Pages: [1] 2