Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: [IC] SimpFEF: Lunatic Advance  (Read 10967 times)

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] SimpFEF: Lunatic Advance
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2021, 12:06:37 am »

The princess briefly muttered something about 'profiteering whoresons in need of a sword up the arse' before sighing and shaking her head.

"Yes, I suppose you have a good point. I don't know why I was expecting any better behavior given the situation."
"And sure. In fact, I think I'll stick with you for the time being. Balthar just so happens to be one of my next destinations, and with all the medicinals whisked away by... enterprising wandroughts, I suppose the company of a healer, a Regal Knight, and 2 half-decent lancers can't hurt. A bit more people than I'd like for such a sensitive investigation but well... I can't recover anything if I die before I find it. I'm sure father will understand."

Perhaps it was a trick of the afternoon light or the interspersed shade they walked though, but for a split second there looked to be something approaching a smirk on Cade's face. The next it was gone though, and she picked up her pace.

"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2021, 10:27:52 am »

~Chapter 3~
As they travel from town to town, Hagen and his entourage find themselves traveling the same direction as a passing caravan. The offer of safety and easy access to food and medical supplies is too good to pass up, so they decide to join the caravan.

It was getting dark, so the caravan had stopped for the night. Though Hagen and company had acquired many of the supplies rhey needed when first meeting the caravan, they had been too busy spending their day in a wagon to search out a purveyor of medical supplies. The kindly young man who had offered them a ride, Nicholas, had given them the name of another man who might be able to give them the supplies they need. Nicholas also warned them that it might be better to wait and seek out a doctor in the city, rather than consult Benedict.

Spoiler: Shop (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 12:39:55 pm by Takosher »
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2021, 11:33:31 am »

Well, there was a remedy and a healing staff. She supposed that was a better sign than the fat load of nothing she'd seen for medical aid so far. While tempting, she preferred to save the coin for something that would actually help with bleeding out and was usable by anyone who needed it. Given her failed attempts at so much as conjuring even a lick of tome based magic in the past, she sincerely doubted she was going to learn anything as fickle as staff healing anytime soon. Walk before you could run and all.

Of course that was assuming she even had any potential to leverage in the first place. The answer to that question had seemed painfully obvious since she began, but she'd always refused to accept it and wouldn't start now. Even if a certain court mage had dared to gainsay her efforts throughout it all.

Hmmm... not a terribly large selection aside from those two. Though an easily concealed back up weapon is always useful I suppose.

Cadence sells the Bullion(M) for it's value of 1000 Gold. She buys the Knife.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 03:10:29 pm by Stratos »
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2021, 11:19:21 pm »

Travelling had always suited Hagen, that much would be obvious to any who had a basic understanding of the young man. Learning about new people and the cultures of individual towns (not to mention he had a love for trying the local foods he'd occasionally find) suited his sense of adventure just as much as defending others and exploring new places in other circumstances. Perhaps because of this, Hagen was quick to make the perhaps unwise call of of going to track down medical supplies from the "Benedict" that Nicholas had mentioned when they'd stopped.

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2021, 12:34:18 am »

Seeing Hagen head off and having nothing else at the shop worth looking at right now, Cadence stowed the new knife in her boot before following him. She figured he was probably going to check out this apothecary or whatever the hell this 'Benedict' fellow was. Apothecary was honestly the most generous benefit of the doubt she could give him if his reputation preceded him so negatively. Maybe he was a quack who sold more snake oil than he did actual medicine. Or maybe he was a perfectly competent healer who also provided some less than savory supplies and services by night. They'd see soon enough.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2021, 01:41:28 am »

The duo became a trio quickly - not for any special reason, but Astrid's job was to keep Hagen safe, and she couldn't well do that if she let the man wander off on his own. He could take care of himself, and so could Cadence of course, but that didn't mean she was comfortable letting him meet with some quack doctor or whatever this Benedict man was without her on hand.

"...Are you really sure that this is the best plan, Hagen-"[/glow] she was saying- before correcting herself, they were in public, with a royal no less, and even if she didn't want to be treated as any more than Astrid would treat any superior officer, that did mean she had to at least be a bit formal. "Earl Albin? Travelling healers aren't the most reputable bunch to begin with, and apparently this man has some distrust even by their standards..."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2021, 03:07:30 am »

There it was again- that thing that might've been on the princess' face days ago at the border fort. Yet despite the coming cover of darkness it was far clearer this time as she chuckled.
"Oh, on a first name basis I see. Here I was expecting a 'milord' or two from you, Frei."
"Relax, you don't have to hide it around me. You two seem to always be with each other and I really don't care for extraneous formalities when no one's looking. If anything it's... oddly reassuring, hearing a vassal address her lord so warmly. Indicates a bond that I've rarely seen before..."

Rarely indeed. Except for her family, there was only one person in all the castle who dared to address her by name, without any title or styling attached. And despite herself Cadence regretted that she couldn't bring her along for company on this journey, even knowing there was no way she could've. Not with the secrets at stake, Korska was too perceptive. It would only be a matter of time before she'd have figured out what they were really after. She'd probably wouldn't say or ask anything when she did either, just to allow Cadence some measure of plausible deniability... but she'd know.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 11:16:42 am by Stratos »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2021, 04:11:29 am »

Hagen thought for a moment on how to best address his cousin's comment, before finally just giving her a quick smile and a nod. He turned back to Astrid to address his retainer's concerns.
"Perhaps, but reputations aren't always well earned. Or were you worrying so much about me and the prin-." He cuts himself off before he can finish, feeling that it might be taken the wrong way even in jest. After a moment he continues again as if he didn't slip slightly. "Anyway, we haven't seen much in the way of healing outside of Val in a while, and while she does great work, I'm sure keeping up with all of us would be exhausting for the poor girl."

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2021, 11:15:06 am »

"I, uh, I apologize, ma'am-" Astrid began, before being cut off. "Well... Hagen and I have known each other since we were children."

Then she turned back to Hagen. She wasn't entirely sure what he'd been about to say, tilting her head just a little in confusion, before refocusing on the matter at hand.

"I guess that makes sense. Don't want to work her to the bone. Just be careful. And don't try any strange concoctions without letting someone else test them first."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2021, 11:16:10 am »

As the group tried to show any sort of hope that the reputation of the doctor would be just a myth, they suddenly heard a small explosion in the direction of the doctor. That explosion would normally be odd enough, but then they heard an annoyed screaming as they began to come up on a man in black robes

"I cannot deal with these conditions! This is absolutely and COMPLETELY ridiculous, WHY is there not a SINGLE chrysanthemum in the area!? Damn it, this was the absolute worst place I could have possibly set up, I'm moving first thing in the-"

The shrill voice that one might wonder if it was faked, or just normally like that due to all of the yelling that the man did, suddenly ceased. He turned around, meeting his grumpy-looking spectacled eyes with everyone else's. In almost an instant, he was face-to-face with the group.

"Who are you!? What do you want!? I am exceedingly busy trying to make these useless ingredients work— I do not have time for loiterers!"

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2021, 11:25:59 am »

Cadence's blade was out in a flash as soon as she heard the detonation. She didn't sheath it even as the source revealed itself, though her stance did relax ever so slightly. If only the suspicion in her eyes did the same.

"You're this Benedict fellow selling healing wares then, I take it? And if you want chrysanthemum try searching by a river or lake, they prefer moist soil."

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2021, 11:30:27 am »

Though Cadence's blade was still out, Benedict did not seem to notice it in the slightest as he kept looking over everyone. He did not seem to break eye contact for a moment, even as he recoiled in frustration as he looked over at Cadence.

"How do you know my name!?- Right, I have stayed in this worthless location for some time trying to find chrysanthemums, so I have been here a whi- excuse me, what!?" Though he recoiled after hearing Cadence mention where to find chrysanthemums, he continued speaking about staying in the location before actually showing his surprise. "I have been looking for ages! Right! Very well! Moist location is where I will look! Hm!" He pushed up his glasses, looking over Cadence. For once, he broke eye contact, just to observe her in general— mostly looking behind her as he moved around her slightly. Weird. "You are an intriguing young lady! Right! I will sell you medicine! What are you suffering from? Illness? Injury? Being ten seconds away from death at any given moment?"

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2021, 11:38:27 am »

The princess shivered ever so slightly as the (probably) dark mage circled her like that. He was definitely striking her as some poor sod whose brain had been fried by the moon while experimenting in his mother's basement.
"Uh, no." She answered "Nothing of the sort right now. We're mostly looking for some curatives to help in battle- vulneraries have become a lot harder to find these days. Just what type of medicine do you sell by the way? I've heard tell that some folk are a bit... apprehensive about it."

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2021, 11:45:36 am »

Meanwhile, Astrid had placed herself in between Hagen and the explosion, spear ready. She relaxed slightly (and only slightly) when it became clear that the explosion had been an accident. She didn't say anything just yet, but looked at Hagen with a raised eyebrow - "Are you sure this is a good idea?"
Sigtext!

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2021, 11:51:27 am »

"Right, right, curatives— I have medicine of all sort, just give me a moment," Benedict spoke and immediately turned around, thankfully getting his gaze off of Cadence. He rummaged through a bag of his, muttering under his breath. "No, no, no, no, no..." He spoke in turn as he shuffled his hands through what appeared to be potions of all kinds. Eventually, he pulled out... a vulnerary? The liquid looked to be a bit off-color in the bottle. "Excellent! Vulnerary! Not just any vulnerary— my specialty vulnerary! Heals you better and quicker! However, you have to make sure you ingest it according specifically to my directions. Downing it haphazardly like it was some cheap bar drink could have side effects such as throat burning, stomach burning, mouth burning— it just burns. But! Not if you ingest it while you have your head tilted back as far as it can go! Quite simple, really!"

Once more, Benedict did not notice that he had not one but two weapons on him, especially as he continued to discuss his invention in fine detail. If anyone was waiting for him to say that it was just a hilarious joke and it's just a regular vulnerary, it did not come.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15