Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: LAND WARS: REVENGE OF THE COLONS  (Read 2504 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: LAND WARS: REVENGE OF THE COLONS
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2021, 11:15:36 am »

Alright, finished up. Hope that'll be good enough. Updated my original post as well, but this reply is for the good ol' thread bump.

THEY COME FROM BEYOND THE STARS

Civilization Name: Yeekyaloid Advanced Front Δ
Theme: Alien Invaders
Spoiler: Day 0: (click to show/hide)
Home Territory: IMPACT-POINT 865-b
Spoiler: Map Image (click to show/hide)
Other Territories: N/A
Owned Strategic Resources: Plasmic Biomass

Current Troops:
YEEK BEAMULONS -- 2000 (1000 Points)
YEEK MINDZAPPERS -- 500 (375 Points)
PROTO UFOS -- 500 (500 Points)
Heroes: N/A
Supplies: 0 -- Plasmic Biomass

Recruiting this turn:

Spoiler: Troop Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Project Information (click to show/hide)

This is going to be a long reply so I'll stick to only mentioning anything that could be tweaked.

1: Starting with energy weapons might seem too powerful but the Annoying Arrows trope is completely averted in LW, and your troops seem to be unarmored and frail according to descriptions, so I guess they'd be even when it comes to survivability against other ranged units.

2: There seems to be a bunch of typos littered throughout various descriptions.

3: Considering the size of the UFO in the map would be several miles due to the 50 pixels per mile scale, it might be wise to have an interior map made for consistency as soon as something needs it (stealth actions, invasions, etc).

4: The proto UFOs are probably overpowered for 1 point considering they can transport 3 infantry, have ion rifles mounted, and can be used as drones. I'd suggest making them cost 5 points (as well as the extra 1.5-2.25 points spent on crew) for balance.
it's over

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2021, 04:18:09 pm »

1. I always figured the flavour was mostly irrelevant anyway, and not terribly much more than costs mattered. A range unit costing one being equal to another costing one regardless of what brand of weaponry they possess. Feel free to tone it down in battke to something akin to stun guns, whatever works for you.

2. I write exclusively on mobile, it's difficult not to make mistakes for me. This is inconsequential.

3. I suppose I didn't pay much mind to any scale constraints. It definitely appears to be a more zoomed in tile compared to others especially given the size disparity of the roads. If necessary I'll get it done at some point.

4. I swore that I read no starting designs could cost more than one, or I would have increased it. Maybe I'm mistaken there. I don't have any issue making them significantly more expensive. I really don't have any interest in being overpowered.
I've lost control of my life.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2021, 04:25:05 pm »

1. I always figured the flavour was mostly irrelevant anyway, and not terribly much more than costs mattered. A range unit costing one being equal to another costing one regardless of what brand of weaponry they possess. Feel free to tone it down in battke to something akin to stun guns, whatever works for you.

2. I write exclusively on mobile, it's difficult not to make mistakes for me. This is inconsequential.

3. I suppose I didn't pay much mind to any scale constraints. It definitely appears to be a more zoomed in tile compared to others especially given the size disparity of the roads. If necessary I'll get it done at some point.

4. I swore that I read no starting designs could cost more than one, or I would have increased it. Maybe I'm mistaken there. I don't have any issue making them significantly more expensive. I really don't have any interest in being overpowered.

1: For gameplay purposes you're just using archers, wizards, and the mechanical alien equivalent of fire breathing dragons, and your fluff has them as assorted futuristic ayylmao stuff.

2: That explains everything.

3: The map is fine, if you tell me the intended area shown I'll scale it down when making the big map.

4: Oh right, that was a GM error as I forgot I haven't edited it to 5 like I planned on doing, if you want I'll retroactively raise the max starting troop value to 5.
it's over

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2021, 07:27:36 pm »

Does anyone have ideas for being able to run the game without an ideal player count of at least 4-5, or at least give us 4 something to do while we wait?

One idea I have is creating a discord server which will use a sheet made up of fragments submitted by its members, as well as actions made up of whatever the server's hivemind feels like doing for the sake of having another "player" as well as ripping off Twitch Plays Pokemon, but it may or may not be needed depending on turnout on this site alone.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 07:54:58 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2021, 10:43:46 pm »

If you go through with this fragments mini game, can you link to it? I understand this’ll be until the game starts

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2021, 12:52:28 am »

NG, it would be a collective side to act as a fourth player, so if you're playing you shouldn't look at it.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2021, 04:48:36 pm »

After recieving some constructive criticism via PMs by Devastator, he asked me about making a short 1v1v1 game where you three can try out your sheets to kill time, see if you want to tweak anything, get a feel for gameplay, etc. while waiting for enough people for a real game.
it's over

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2021, 09:33:31 pm »

After recieving some constructive criticism via PMs by Devastator, he asked me about making a short 1v1v1 game where you three can try out your sheets to kill time, see if you want to tweak anything, get a feel for gameplay, etc. while waiting for enough people for a real game.
sounds like a good way to learn the ropes
Pages: 1 2 [3]