Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Nonsilenti Universi - Enlighteners Thread, Abiogenesis  (Read 2503 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nonsilenti Universi - Enlighteners Thread, Abiogenesis
« on: August 24, 2021, 06:22:43 pm »

It seems you are one among The Enlighteners.

You've been around since the dawn of time watching and waiting. Worlds form and crumble often without ever doing anything of note. Not this time, not under your eye. A star system in a tucked-away corner of some galaxy has a planet that has drawn your eye, one that holds the capabilities to create and sustain life. As long as you're there to offer a guiding hand. But what is it about this planet that has attracted you?

Describe your planet in it's earlier stages. Include information like it's makeup - is it a rocky planet? A gas giant? Is it made of sapphire? Is it actually a moon? How far is it from the system's star? Is there an atmosphere other than what we'd expect here on Earth? What is it's size relative to Earth? This will largely define all the species you burn through create going forward and is probably the most important decision to work together on to figure out. Don't worry about specific environments, just provide a general description of your home planet, specifics will come in following turns.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 10:01:55 pm by Man of Paper »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nonsilenti Universi - Enlighteners Thread, Formation Age
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 09:33:48 pm »

A rocky planet consisting of various carbon and silicon compounds, as well as calcium and magnesium. The planet is slightly smaller than Earth, with an atmosphere of mostly carbon dioxide and nitrogen, as well as various sulfur compounds and water vapor

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 09:58:20 pm »

Our planet is a gas giant, but while it outwardly looks like a typical example of sort, going below the outermost layer shows it to be anything but.

The planet’s atmosphere is stratified into layers, each one being denser and more pressurized as you descend. Hydrogen and helium at the top give way to oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon, then to gaseous sulfur and silicon, and even denser elements below.
Suspended both between and within these layers are masses of solid material, captured meteors and comets that, rather than entering a proper orbit like the planet’s many moons, entered the atmosphere, slowing until they came to rest at an atmospheric layer denser than they were. Wispy clouds of ice and pumice floated at the top, while solid stone bobbed along below it; further down, and a myriad of metals could be found.
Of course, one could find some examples of all materials at any layer, but only ever mixed in with and stuck to materials more appropriate.

To ascend is to fight gravity; to descend is to fight buoyancy. Different layers may as well be wholly distinct worlds. But the rewards for traversing them have the potential to be great.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 05:11:18 pm »

Glass Planet: (1) Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 06:00:20 pm »

Glass Planet: (2) Doomblade, NG
Imwas going to ask which planet you thought was made of glass, then I checked usernames and realized you meant the planet made by Glass the player, whose planet is much more creative than mine

Mercur

• Bay Watcher
  • Your average spheroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 07:55:38 pm »

Our planet would be a small moon orbiting a large desolate planet, its composition consists of compounds originating from carbon, silicon and magnesium and the atmosphere would consist of nitrogen and hydrogen, with small levels of oxygen and hydrogen sulfide, it has high volcanic activity, which brings chemicals that could potentially kickstart life, the star of the system it resides is similar to the earth’s sun
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 07:10:37 am by Mercur »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 08:33:25 pm »

We ahould probably discuss what we want in the planet, I’m fine with any planet with a variety of materials, as a cacophony of elements leads to a cacophony of molecules, which would in turn eventually lead to replicons, and eventually what we Twrrans think of as life, of course, life on this planet we make may or may not share properties of life on Earth

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 11:20:05 pm »

Glass’s Layered Soup Planet: (3) Doomblade, NG, Glass
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Mercur

• Bay Watcher
  • Your average spheroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 07:06:25 pm »

Glass’s Layered Soup Planet: (4) Doomblade, NG, Glass, Mercur
To be honest, my planet probably is not going to win and Glass’s planet is more interesting then mine anyway

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 10:31:56 pm »

Glass’s Layered Soup Planet: (5) Doomblade, NG, Glass, Mercur, DGR
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nonsilenti Universi - Enlighteners Thread, Reformation Age
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 10:36:46 pm »

Glass is a planet that formed during the early days of the system's life. It rests in a stable orbit around a yellow star as the fifth of six planets, the middle of the three gas giants, and the largest planet in the system. A dense metal core is surrounded by 50000 kilometers of various gaseous elements it's captured over the ages. The elements are, somehow, sorted into very clear strata based on their density. Hydrogen and Helium largely make up the thin upper atmosphere, followed by an Oxygen-majority layer, then the Methane layer. These layers form the "Outer Planet", and are full of materials captured by Glass' gravity well and settled there. Over time these materials smashed together to form single "continents" for each layer. While the majority of solid materials are light enough to drift along their plane, there are small numbers of heavier elements sprinkled throughout them. The Outer Planet experiences 25-hour days and 600-day years, and thanks to it's tilted axis, experiences a variety of relatively temperate seasons.

Beneath the Outer Planet is the Water Membrane. A dense layer of steam acts as a barrier that denser elements smash into, usually to no avail. This results in "floating" deposits of denser and rarer materials along this membrane layer. The Water Membrane divides the Outer Planet from the "Inner Planet".

The Inner Planet is full of denser gases, with the larger notable layers being the Chlorine and Neon layers, and beneath them are the heavier metal-based gas layers that surround the solid core. While a number of objects have pierced the Water Membrane over the ages (though none are undamaged), they are unable to form larger continents as seen in the Outer Planet thanks to incredibly savage ionic storms that devastate the Inner Planet. These intense plasma storms are a frequent if not everpresent occurrence in the Inner Planet, leaving the largest solid chunks of floating matter with a couple kilometers of area at most.

On the unusual occasion where an object penetrates the Water Membrane, a violent reaction between the Inner and Outer layers occurs, often with explosive force, and creating a massive disturbance in the atmosphere. Ionic storms can "leak out" of the ruptured membrane before the breach is collapsed, and while devastating, are short-lived after being cut off from the Inner Planet. The turbulence and storms can wildly alter the Outer Planet's floating geography during these small windows of instability. The Inner Planet experiences one season, and one time of day, at all times: ionic storms.

Glass was able to exist in a state of undisturbed peace for an extended period, quietly orbiting it's star, until one day...

----

Your planet is about to undergo a dramatic event that will forever leave it's mark. What event occurs? It can be something celestial in origin or result, such as our own moon theory of the asteroid collision, or something "terrestrial" (gaseous?), like a cataclysmic eruption. If an idea is, ah, too creative, I will let you all know.

Spoiler: Glass (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nonsilenti Universi - Enlighteners Thread, Reformation Age
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 12:40:03 am »

How about a comet storm?

Mercur

• Bay Watcher
  • Your average spheroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 11:24:01 am »

What about a collision between Glass and its moon (if it doesn’t have any moons, then some other random small terrestrial planet)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 11:36:18 am »

Is this still open to new players?

If so,
+1
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Mercur

• Bay Watcher
  • Your average spheroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 11:44:44 am »

Mercurus’s collision event: Magmacube_tr, Mercurus
Pages: [1] 2 3 4