Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: First time adventure mode problems... GIANT SPIDERS  (Read 6347 times)

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First time adventure mode problems... GIANT SPIDERS
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 12:23:00 am »

I was scouring a cave for a minotaur, when I spot the dreaded S. Luckily, my noble friend Drunky McMeatshield took the fall and stunned the spider by charging it. I charged, knocked it over, and ended up on top of it. It tried to bite me, but I stood up, countered, and with one blow from my maul introduced its head to its internal organs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 12:34:00 am »

The two times that I've encountered giant cave spiders this version, they have annihilated me utterly.  Well-trained hammer and shield user?  Nibble him to bits.  Accomplished pikemaster, who used all his points to get good with a weapon he thought might help against the fiends?  Off with his head, and spit it out on the corpse.  I didn't even scratch the blighter.

Should I try an axe next time, or just buff up my shield usage?  I've got a crossbowdwarf adventurer who's wandering around, and I only realized after making him that bolts would be harder to come by then arrows, so I've resorted to throwing things and then stabbing people with my last ten bolts.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 08:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ioric Kittencuddler:

You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider pulls out and drops the Iron short sword.
The giant cave spider spits out the human Chunk.

This doesn't make much sense...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 09:33:00 am »

Well, once you have enough... friends... it's not that hard anymore, and they cut out all the weak ones!

But really, they're tougher than the bosses we're supposed to kill usually, and I'm not exaggerating.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 09:55:00 am »

Well, started my 9th/10th/?th adventurer recently, and was chalking up quite a few kills in my search for one abnormally elusive giant, a search that spanned several z-levels and one trip to the river to refill my waterskin.

I thought I was getting enough experience so that I might eventually take down a giant cave spider once I found one (this cave was blissfully void of them).  

And then I met my end.  Not to a giant cave spider, not to the giant I was hunting, but to a giant cave swallow.  Blighter got a lucky shot at my head, and my brains proceeded to pour out of my head while he sat on top of me and I tried to kill him fast enough to activate travels mode.

So now there's a named giant cave swallow who will introduce himself to some other adventurer.  That's just embarrassing.

As a simple fix, simply add the [SEMI_MEGABEAST] tag to a giant cave spider.  That way, no more than one will appear in a cave at a time, and they'll even let you know when they're close.  You will eventually get quests to kill them, though.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

Better than getting killed by a large rat.  :p
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Exasperation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>As a simple fix, simply add the [SEMI_MEGABEAST] tag to a giant cave spider.  That way, no more than one will appear in a cave at a time, and they'll even let you know when they're close.  You will eventually get quests to kill them, though.</STRONG>

As it stands, odds are that if you play enough adventurers in the same world, you'll start getting quests to kill them anyway.  When I created my most recent adventurer, there were already three named GCSs in the world, and when he died he had quests to kill two of them.  Of course, now there are FOUR named GCSs (and three of them are in the same cave).

I've lost more than half of my adventurers in this world to GCSs.  One to a dragon, one to a pair of Iron Men, one to a giant-type (Giant, Ettin, or Cyclops, I forget which), and four to GCSs.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »

Calmly mowing down a few giant bats with my seasoned adventurer, I haughtily threw my iron maul to the next one, just to spice things up. Then... an "S". And I just threw my only weapon!

I tried to run but dodged two attacks that ironically placed me right into the corner next to the spider (Armok, you curse me) - with no other option I hit it with my shield. I'm covered in web and attacked by a giant bat, giant cave spider and giant mole.

Just then, my two cavalry-style Adventurer followers run in! Female Human Adventurer with Iron Longsword and Male Dwarven "Brawler" that fights with a flint rock. I tore my way out of the web and gouged out the spiders eyes (while it stands on my maul, taunting me) only to find...

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5243/giantcavespiderwd6.png  

"It is split in half from the crown to the chin!"

VICTOLY!

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathbane:
<STRONG> </STRONG>

Not to be pedantic but it is spelled "you're".

How about this method for dealing with GCS?

Go outside, light a tree on fire, get a piece of clothing or an object burning then run in and throw it onto the spider web. The webs burn up and so does the spider.

Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Deathbane

• Bay Watcher
  • Unus volatilis angelus, aeria gloriis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

That works? Wouldnt you set yourself on fire first? I havnt tried it so i wouldnt know, but i wouldnt really like to have a !!thong!! in my hand only to die a less than dignified death.

And damn, my grammar is bad when it comes to your and you're, mainly because in my internet days i stopped using it as it was too long to type. Ah well, bad habits die hard!

Creator of the Chaos Reigns and Age of Heroes modifications.

Developer of the Adventurer Roleplaying game system, assistance required!

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46859.0

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

So what is the point of adventure mode if all the quests lead to cave spiders that hide right around the corner to instakill you?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 04:46:00 am »

The point is to train you never to trust anyone in a position of politcal authority.  Namely, mayors.

About the only "safe" thing you can do is invade a goblin fort single-handedly.  This gives you access to expensive giant cave spider silk clothing (how do they get it?) which can buy lots of stuff at shops, and also gives you free reign on a whole population of generally puny goblins so you can train up your skills and get some strength/agility/toughness while you're at it.

And then the goblin bowmaster turns you into a pincushion and your head turns into a conversation peace, as it now "menaces with spike".  Or, more accurately, the spike menaces with your head.

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 06:43:00 am »

With what stats should it be possible to kill a cave spider?

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 06:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eruonen:
<STRONG>With what stats should it be possible to kill a cave spider?</STRONG>

Any, and yet, none.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...
Pages: 1 [2] 3