Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Academy - Core Thread (Player List Closed)  (Read 11020 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CYOGTCG Academy - Core Thread (Player List Closed)
« on: August 22, 2021, 04:47:02 pm »

Risk of Hiatus Warning: My motivation is a fickle beast, and is easily affected by life circumstances. While this game is incredibly light weight to work on compared to any of the other projects I'm working on, there may be occasions where I do shelve it for a short time in order to work on said other things. I will not kill this game unless I absolutely feel completely burnt out, not in general, but on this singular subject specifically, and that is a very rare circumstance.

Welcome to the world of CYOGTCG! Unfortunately, Supernerd suffered from GM burnout, and was sadly unable to continue his own CYOGTCG 'card game anime' type game.

You are a student enrolling at the renowned CYOGTCG Academy in the world of CYOGTCG! In this world, everything was seemingly much as it is in reality, up until the year 20XX, when a game was developed and released that, in addition to revealing facts about the world long thought fictional, swept the world by storm with its incredible popularity. This game is CYOGTCG. Its stands for "Create Your Own G Trading Card Game". Nobody knows what the first G stands for, but is has rapidly increased the popularity of names starting with a G immensely.

The Academy is a large complex with great elegant walls, including several buildings, including the gymnasium/stadium/auditorium, a cafeteria closer to the dining area of a mall, dorms for those who live too significant of a distance away from the Academy, and the even larger central building where the majority of the academic classes are held.

You head into the large auditorium, where waiting for you is the Headmaster. Or rather the Deputy Headmaster, as supposedly the true Headmaster has never been seen in person. He is named Greggory Geofferson, and welcomes you all to your new school year. He gives a long winded speech about the power of Friendship, the Heart of the Cards, Believing in the Him that Believes in You, and also a bunch of normal school stuff.

As he finishes, a large device, or perhaps more of an artifact, is wheeled into the room. This is, apparently, the device that will be used to determine your souls Archetype, and thus the theme that your cards will be. You approach the object, and place a hand on the vaguely hand-shaped marking on its surface. From within a viewing port, it reveals your theme to you. Your theme is...

Spoiler: Character Application (click to show/hide)
(When making family information, please also list a deck theme for family members.

I will, at my own discretion, occasionally allow you to receive 1, one, card from the deck of a family member. NPCs can also have this privilege, but will only make use of it at the beginning of major events.)

~~~

Here are the standard CYOGTCG rules. Note that game events, most often card effects but occasionally a custom rule may be thrown in, that can subvert these rules in various ways. You don't need to memorize the rules immediately, but this post can serve as a reference guide when things are unclear.

Actual card creation will be handled in-game, and will be explained as needed.

Game Rules
1) You start off each game with 20 hearts, and 5 cards in your hand. For any given game, you and your opponent may decide to start with a different amount of any of those three things.
2) If you have 0 or less hearts, you lose.
3) At the start of each turn, you draw one card.
4) Unless stated otherwise, you can only play one card per turn.
5) Cards also have hearts. If they have 0 hearts, they go to your discard pile/graveyard, unless stated otherwise. If a card says it has attack power, it can only damage the player directly if they have no cards defending them.
6) If a card has zero hearts when you play it, it will be destroyed after it does its effect.
7) There is a kind of resource called Stars, and you start the game with 0 of them. Strong Cards cost Stars to play, and they can be gained with the effects of weak cards. This prevents your best cards from being played immediately. Cards may also have effects that cost stars to use. (Stars carry over between turns)
8) The player who goes second starts the game with one star.
9) You can also make up your own resources for your cards if you really want.
10) Cards cannot attack on the turn they are played unless otherwise stated, and can only attack once per turn unless otherwise stated. When a card attacks another card, both cards lose hearts equal to the other card's attack.
11) By default, if a card is face down it cannot be attacked. Cards may be attackable when face down, in which case this must be declared when playing the card.
12) Face Down cards cannot protect you from being attacked until it is flipped up. If a facedown card does something it will be flipped. There may be cards that can protect you while face down, this must be declared when playing the card.
13) The game will typically use the honor system, so players can randomize their own deck and draw cards without GM intervention. If you suspect someone is cheating, inform the GM. Its just sad if you feel the need to cheat in this game. For grudge matches, you can request the GM do all the random stuff.
14) Strive to avoid situations which will require a retcon. Those are a big pain to clean up.
15) In the event of a disagreement, the GM will decide what happens.
16) Don't be afraid to get creative with your deckbuilding!
17) If a card says it does something "At the end of each turn", this only means your own turns unless it specifically states otherwise.
18) At any point, you may choose to "refine" a card. This allows you to change the cards name(any effects referring directly to that card by name will be changed to match), picture(and token picture), and frame, as well as to condense effects that fall under a previously unknown keyword into a keyword.
19) For the sake of brevity when making effects, there will be a division between "spell" type cards (Events) and the "creature" type cards (Units).

Relative card strength
A card that costs no stars to play would typically have a combined stat total of 5. (Example, 2 attack and 3 hearts). Useful effects will generally lower this, and detrimental effects can raise it. You can also make cards with no hearts which act like "Spells". Each star a card costs will typically raise its base stat total by 3 or 4. Very high star costs can have ridiculous effects.

Keywords
Keywords are, in essence, effects that are common enough to be condensed down into a single word or term.
Known Keywords:
None
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 04:24:03 pm by Failbird105 »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Academy - Core Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 04:47:51 pm »

Freshmen Students

Spoiler: CYOTC/Stirk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Helen/Naturegirl1999 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dagon/Unraveller (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gesus/Maximum Spin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wichtel Klein/NPC (click to show/hide)

Special Cards

Spoiler: Core Set (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 09:39:33 am by Failbird105 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 05:27:31 pm »

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 05:47:25 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 05:36:08 pm »

((Is this Supernatural as in the show or as in "supernatural beings"?... I mean, it's both by my own ruling but I just want to know what in particular you intend to do with it so I know what to use as inspiration))

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 05:40:31 pm »

Magic, hauntings, aliens. I have no clue on Supernatural, (though I have heard of it. Is a good joke though.)[I can also draw from shows like MLP in a few cases. Among other things. Kinda a mixed bag, though with her name expect the usual Seances to go with it. Should be fun.]
(Unicorns also count, as do pegasi and other myths as supernatural occurrences.)

Should be noted anything too human or anything superhuman is right out though. Gaia on the other hand. (Hope you don't mind if this is a crossover with whatever happens in the other thread-world Supernerd ran.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 05:44:51 pm by TricMagic »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 06:49:43 pm »

Name: CYOTC
Deck Theme: Waifus with guns
Hairstyle: Eye covering bangs
Other Information: Unable to say the letter G
Family Information:
GO, eldest sister. Deck theme is Waifus. Thinks she is a protagonist.
G1, older brother. Deck theme is guns. Acts like an old man.
GG, younger sister. Deck theme is guns with waifus (when she awakens it). Obsessed with video games.
Parents are off-screen and overseas or something.

I WILL CARY ON YOUR LEACY YOU KNOW WHO I SPEAK OF!

Can I make my special resource “ammunition”? The rules always said we could but with only one word max on card powers in practice I’m not sure how making a special resource works.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 06:55:40 pm »

I was building up to it in the other game.

Put simply, these cards would become resources for me to make use of. From summoning copies of the original card, to using them as fuel for stars, hearts, and the boss card.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 07:23:07 pm »

Alright. Here is my application.
Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 07:26:35 pm »

Bees!

Also, did we have to be subject to the waifu again Strick?

Also..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 07:32:48 pm by TricMagic »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 07:30:46 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 07:50:13 pm »

Nice to have you here Supernerd, though... yeah I was very much gonna mention such but like, there are incredibly few ways to get a fully incompatible deck theme to anyone, almost always revolving entirely around being a pair of hyper-specific themes(like having specific fictional work as the theme). So Bees and Necromancy are far from entirely incompatible with Science Fiction, but they would need to make new cards to fit, so you probably wouldn't get anything the first time at least.

On the topic of Stirks question, while I will generally avoid following OOC comments when making effects, if you haven't been able to make one yet and wish to start on a special resource, do tell me when making the card.

Also, for the record, while I won't necessarily stop you from making a Core Card with a special resource, just be aware that if you do, you basically guarantee any other player can get access to it without much effort.

We have enough players, but far from too many. As such, this time tomorrow will be when I post the NPC students and start.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 08:07:51 pm by Failbird105 »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2021, 08:11:11 pm »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2021, 08:29:29 pm »

Bees!

Also, did we have to be subject to the waifu again Strick?

Also..

Yes. It’s the CYOGTG animoo staple now.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 08:47:05 pm »

And just like that, the gang's all here. Everyone knows the main character of each season of CYOGTCG has a waifu adjacent theme. You can't take away that piece of it, would be sacrilege!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:23:18 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2021, 10:04:44 pm »

I'm... probably going to regret this, but I'm interested despite myself (and have nothing else to do) so here goes nothing:

I have no idea what I'm doing, so better learn quickly I guess?
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17