Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 49

Author Topic: FEF: Chains of Horai IC Thread: Chapter 2: Gladly, Keiko Kuroda Seeks Vengeance  (Read 37247 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Chains of Horai IC Thread: Chapter 1: The Melancholy of Momo Mitsui
« Reply #570 on: January 02, 2022, 01:48:25 pm »

"Perhaps, but even the most overwhelming force can be defeated with the right strategy. I need to continue down my path and find new jutsu to use, so that next time, I can overcome. In any case, we learn and accomplish nothing standing here; let's continue on."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 03, 2022, 12:00:07 pm »

"She was, and is. But what's your story? I think you came in with Hiroyuki, but..."
: "I'm nothing special really, just someone who's trying to set this kingdom straight."
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #572 on: January 03, 2022, 10:45:06 pm »

"Origin of swords, huh? Weird. What d'you figure that means?"
Madoka shook her head.

"I don't know. I guess I'm, um, old-fashioned?" The rabbit Misaki gave a small shrug.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 04, 2022, 11:09:38 pm »

"Well. Could ask Sensei when we get to Kaedehara. Tokiwa-sensei's probably got some idea. Let's get goin'. Daylight's burnin'."
Todoroki folows the others as they begin to leave in the direction of Kaedehara.

Rin's eyes continue to stare at where the Empress was once standing, absentmindedly fiddling with her Gnosis, which was gently pulsing.
"She could have killed us all here....why didn't she?"
"....the Cursed can't hurt other Cursed, Rengoku. That's why."
"That....no, that's not right. It felt like she was....pulling her punches."
"You call that pulling her punches?"
"I don't know, Yamada. It just didn't feel right. My Gnosis was....responding to something there, but...."
Rin shakes her head.
"No. That can't be right. Never mind. Let's go, Yamada."
Yusuke's eyes are on Rin as she heads back to the group.

As are Momo's, whose eyes have returned to their normal gold color.
"...."
She holds up her Gnosis, still as unreactive as it had always been.
"....is this the kind of power they're given?"
She puts it back away, joining the others to leave.

At the Imperial Palace...
Hisao stood there, stony-faced, as the Empress hurled a cup of tea at him. The projectile, fortunately for the Rooster, hurtled past his head, crashing and breaking across the wall behind him, leaving a brown stain on the wall.

"Pathetic! Pathetic! Rooster, you promised me you'd have them for me! How could you fail?! You forced me to step out there. You promised me!"
"We didn't expect them to come out in such full force. Nor did we expect Todayama to turn on us."
"That Boar...how could she betray me? Aren't all of you supposed to obey me without question? That's how this works! I'm...this was the promise you all made to me!"
"She found a loophole."
The Empress was about to respond, before descending into a fit of hacking and coughing, causing the nearest maid to run to her, gently holding her back.
"Your Excellency!"
"Dragon! My medicine!"
"Yes, Your Excellency."

Kodai approached her calmly, laying a cup of medicine at her side. The Empress snatched it greedily, downing the liquid in one gulp. The coughs continued, but eventually, they subsided enough for the Empress to continue speaking.

"....if it wasn't for this body....I would chase those traitors down myself," she uttered darkly. "Dragon. Have your apothecaries figured out how to heal me yet?"
"No, Your Excellency. Your...illness is not easy to treat. We are working as fast as possible."
The Empress sighed. She calmly, softly touched Kodai's cheek. For a moment, a soft, vulnerable light entered the Empress' eyes.
"...when I am well, you will be rewarded for your loyalty."
She turned back to Hisao, the moment of softness disappearing.
"Rooster. Take your men. Take what you need to. Tomorrow, you will continue your hunt. Your orders are the same. Return the Cursed to me, and send the others to the Dragon to have their memories wiped. No, not all of them. The one in the Mizuno robes. Bring her to me. Get rid of the rest. Dragon, Rooster, leave me be. I am tired."
Hisao simply nodded. He knew; it wasn't the time to argue. He and Kodai exited the room, without sharing a word.

The maid remained at the Empress' side, producing a small pot containing a white salve. The Empress groaned, before sitting up right in bed, turning away from her, and shrugged off the sleeves of her kimono, leaving her upper back exposed. The maid clambered onto the bed behind her, gently spreading the contents of the pot across her back. The Empress shuddered with the cold feeling.
"Please stay still, Your Excellency."
"It's cold."
"It will be better for you. Please."
The Empress deeply exhaled.
"Thank you, Shimano. I don't know what I'd do without you. When will that Dog come home...he's the only one who understands."
"You thank me with your courtesy, Your Excellency."
"Hm. That Mizuno robed girl....."
"You mean Rengoku Rin? I'm sorry, Your Excellency. I....overheard.
"...no matter. She...something about her bothered me. That look in her eyes. How she looked at the Cursed. How dare she..."
Her eyes drifted over the the Gnosis holder at the side of her bed, the same one that hung from her belt, sitting next to the Imperial Seal that usually hung from her neck.

The empty Gnosis holder, that looked as if it hadn't held anything like a Gnosis for years.

As Hisao and Kodai walked down from the Empress' quarters in silence, they were suddenly intercepted.
"Well, well. You two look like hell."

Goro Gamou smiled at them. He and Kodai shared a brief nod.
"Gamou. Enthusiastic as always."
"Kobayakawa. I trust you took care of things for me here?"
"Of course."
"Good. Don't let me keep you if you need to be somewhere."
"Did you get what you need?"
"....close. Better luck next time. You'll get your shot soon."
Kodai seemed disappointed by that answer, but he sighed.
"Alright."

He walked away, leaving Hisao and Kodai alone. The Rooster sighed, closing his eyes.
"You have a real tendency to disappear when the Empress chews the rest of us out."
"Well, you know me. I don't particularly want to stick around for her moods."
"Have you no shame, Goro? You....of all of us, you are what Yukito needs to keep her in check."
A sudden, sharp, steely undertone entered Goro's voice.
"She made it VERY clear that wasn't the case."
The sudden hostility took Hisao aback, but not by surprise.
"Yukito needs you, Goro. Whatever the hell you're up to, stay here. She's the woman you love, is she not-"
"The woman I loved disappeared seven years ago, Hosokawa! That's what I know. And the Empress replaced her."
Goro's hand clenched. He walked away from Hisao, but not without a parting shot.
"Don't talk to me about shame, Hosokawa. The woman you made your promise to disappeared too and yet you're keeping it."
"....you wouldn't-"
"Understand? I understand just fine. There were three of us on that quest, Hosokawa. You made a promise to the other Cursed too. You're deciding to forget that?"
"...."
"Never accuse me of forgetting, Hosokawa. Or not understanding."

With that, Goro walked away, leaving Hisao in dead silence.

Earlier, at Sangonomiya....
"...this is a problem. Well, the Empress can't get to us, but...."
Kensuke sighed, noting the landslide that had blocked off Sangonomiya from the rest of the world.
"The young ones will be in danger, Kensuke. Can't leave them out there with the Empress and no way to get back home."
"You're right, Uncle Hiro, but..."
"Young Kensuke, you still have the Curse within you. You're the only one who can track them down."
"....you're right, yes. We need all of the Cursed together, if we're to stand a chance against the Empress. We'll give it a few days. Our men need to rest. We'll ride out as soon as the roads are ready."

"You're not thinking of leaving me to handle this all alone, are you?"

The two men turned as an elegant-looking woman in red clothing approached them. Kensuke looked her up and down, before shaking his head.
"...no, Natsumi. I won't lead you into danger. Not again. We left you in the Palace and that's not a mistake-"
"Brother dear. You're going to need as much help as you can get. It's the responsibility of the older sister to watch the younger brother, is it not? You're going up against Gnosis wielders, after all. And safety in numbers. Besides..."

She stares into the distance.
"Needle and thread won't end the Empress' madness. I should take my part in this."
"Truly, the Kamisato bloodline....a determined lot, aren't you? Ahah! Come then, Lady Nitta. Do you know how to wield a blade?"
"I've always been better with knifework, Uncle Hiro."
".....oh, boy."
Meanwhile, later that night....
The wind and the rain battered at the lone traveler walking the darkened road through the abandoned countryside of Amatsu. In her hand was a lantern, lit with a regal purple light, the manifestation of the power of the Fulmen Gnosis that coursed through her.

Her clothes were wet, but her determination was steeled. She clutched her satchel to herself, carrying scrolls, books, anything that could tell her the secret of breaking the centuries-old Curse.
"...."

Her dark hair stuck to her clammy skin, but she kept going. This was the path she had chosen to walk, alone, to free herself of the Empress.

Keiko Kuroda, the Cursed Horse of the Zodiac, refused to bow her head.

However, the storm was too strong to weather, even for someone of her will.
"There has to be somewhere to stay, surely. Even in this...."

Her eyes were suddenly drawn to the orange glow of a mansion, standing upon the lonely plain, surrounded by white walls and with lanterns burning through the rain. It was opulent, not unlike the buildings of Soumahara, and stuck out like a sore thumb in the rural back-country of Amatsu. Still, it was her only option if she wished to avoid her death by cold, even if the hairs on the back of her neck rose at the prospect of entering that mansion. From the distance, she could make the name out of the name of the estate.

Sawatari Mansion.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 2: Gladly, Keiko Kuroda Seeks Vengeance

[Now Playing: Theme of ?? ~I Will Protect You~]
Nine Years Ago....
"....you know the Emperor - your father - will never approve of you leaving."
"....we have to try, right?"
"Yuki's got a point."

It was night over Soumahara. The full moon bathed the imperial capital in a pale glow. Though Soumahara was known in Amatsu as the city that never slept, the Imperial household had taken a repose for the night. That was, except for three people.

Goro and Yukito were decked out in traveling gear, bags full of provisions. They'd estimated it'd carry them a week, before they'd need to resupply. Given their destination, there'd be a few towns nearby to pull it off. Goro had grown up on the Gamou estate, and thus had become a great hunter; that could stretch their provisions a little longer. At least, in theory.

"You two have never traveled alone before."
"Come on, Hisao. Aren't you a little interested?"
"In watching two people who've never traveled without a retinue before make such an expedition? No. I promised your father I'd protect you, Yuki, and I won't break that promise."

Yukito frowned.
"...Hisao, you know that nobody else is going to try to break this curse but us, right?"
"And do you really believe you can do it by yourselves? Just the two of you?"
Goro shrugged.
"If not us, then who? Come on, Hisao. I know you hate turning into a little bird every time you overdo it. And I'm not a huge fan of turning into a dog, either, much as I like them."
Yukito grabbed his hand, squeezing it gently.
"...we owe it to all of the Cursed to try."

Hisao shook his head.
"Seeking out the Yata no Kagami is a fool's errand. Nobody's ever found it. We don't even know if it works or if it could even break such a powerful curse."
"Then we'll be the first to test it. Hisao, we're leaving whether you want us to or not. It's just a question of if you're going to send the entire Imperial Army to hunt us down."
Yukito nodded.
"...just, tell the maids, thanks for taking such good care of us. I wish I could do it myself, but..."

Goro took one look at the night sky, before looking back to Yukito, and grabbing her hand.
"Come on, Yuki. We gotta go. If the guards wake up soon and catch us, Captain Todayama will have us skinned alive."
Yukito took one last sad look at Hisao, before looking to Goro, and beginning to move briskly towards the exit to the Palace, her companion in tow.
"...."
"Wait."

Goro and Yukito stopped. Hisao sighed, exhaling deeply.
"....I'll go with you. If I can't protect Yuki here, then I'll break my promise. I won't allow that. I swore an oath."
"That's fantastic! Okay, great! The more the merrier, right, Goro?"
Goro sighed, shaking his head.
"....well, if you're coming, get your things and meet us by the market. We need to get out of here, and quick. The Curse isn't waiting for us to break it, after all."

[Now Playing: Travel Theme ~Tressa's Theme~]
The rain was beginning to pick up.
"Aw, man. Rain clouds nearby."
"Near nightfall, too. Damn."
"Not a town nearby to hide in, either..."
"Tanjiro and I have some tents we can pitch, but given the mud..."
"Well....let's look the bright side. It might be a little fun to take a breather."

You are all mostly on foot, trudging down the road. The nearest town would be quite close by horse, but as you currently don't have any horses, your best best is to keep moving. Luckily, Tomoe's two allies had brought tents with them. Still, the smell of approaching rain is in the air and the sun is beginning to set.

You have been out for at least a few days now, with Sangonomiya in the distance behind you, and your legs begin to grow weary.
//Everyone may post.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

"I really should have got myself a new cloak back at base. Still, as long as it's just rain and not a proper storm, we should be fine. Momo, think you could do that flying thing of yours again and see if there's a good place to camp nearby?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Momo shakes her head.
"In this weather? I'd get swept away like a feather. Besides, I think we have our answer."

Rumbling over the horizon, storm clouds approach.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

"It is merely rain. This is no hardship."

Setsurou's thoughts, however, were still on one thing Yusuke had said. 'Cursed can't hurt other Cursed'. This, then, was his purpose. He would fight the battles Yusuke could not, would be his sword in the light and his knife in the shadow when they were needed.

"...However, if you desire, Tanigawa, I can scout around for somewhere to wait out the storm. There might be an abandoned building or a cave nearby."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Anywhere with a bit of cover from the wind and good ground to put the tents on would be enough. I think we're soon ready to settle for the night anyway."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yusuke suddenly flinches, shuddering and looking a lot less energetic. He grunts.
"...dammit."
"Yamada! Are you okay?"
"I'm....well, not fine. The rain....."
"...that's right. You're the Cat, so you hate rain."
"Uh-huh."
Rin fumbles slightly, grabbing some heavy cloth from her pack and wrapping it around Yusuke.
"What are you doing?"
"I'm trying to keep you warmed up, of course!"
"I don't think it works like that....but thanks."

The first raindrops begin to fall. Tomoe sighs.
"We should press on and find somewhere to camp out quickly, as Tanigawa said."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

I should have thought of that first. I knew he always stayed indoors when it rains.

"I'll hurry ahead and find a place, Yusuke."

Setsurou moved off ahead of the group, scouting around for decent shelter.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As Setsurou moves, he spots two things.

Firstly, fastly approaching storm clouds. And lightning.

Secondly, not far up the road, what looks to be a mansion within a walled-off compound, with a few carriages parked outside at a nearby stable. No horses, oddly.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Setsurou eyed the storm that was approaching and headed back toward the party with the wind at his back.

"There is a mansion ahead, and an empty stable. We could shelter there without bothering the owner of the mansion and then be upon our way when the storm settles."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Sounds like a plan. What do you all think?"

Miyako turns to look at the rest of the group.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I'm down for...a-anything that gets me out of this damn rain."
"It might be worth asking if the people in the mansion will have us for a bit! Since they might check the stable, and well...."
"Whatever keeps my men warm. Yukiko? Tanjiro?"

Both of Tomoe's subordinates simply shrug in response.
"Well, I feel Rin's got a point. The stable doesn't look that far away from the mansion. They might check in on us in there, and fighting an angry rich guy's retainers isn't exactly on my bucket list."
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 49