Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is gamelog.txt has date/time?  (Read 758 times)

FengMaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
is gamelog.txt has date/time?
« on: August 15, 2021, 07:43:03 pm »

I have just contacted DF, and I want to ask, the gamelog.txt file does not seem to have a date, but in the (a)announcement of the game, it seems that each record corresponds to a time (shown in the lower left corner). May I ask if Is there a way to calculate the time of each record in the gamelog?

My purpose is just to know the specific time of the announcement.

Thanks anyway :D :D :D :D

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: is gamelog.txt has date/time?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 08:19:56 pm »

I opened a vanilla DF gamelog.txt in a hex editor and there appeared to be no hidden game data for the day of the event.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 12:31:27 pm »

Unfortunately, if you need the timestamp for an announcement you can only get it for the most recent ~1000 announcements, and Combat/Hunting/Sparring reports might count toward this limit (and cause your normal announcements to disappear quickly).

To answer your question, no, there is no way to get the date of an announcement from gamelog.txt.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 12:34:21 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 05:57:04 pm »

It’s not quite clear from the OP whether you mean in general, or whether you can figure out times for a gamelog.txt you already have in hand. In the latter case, I guess you could look for seasons passing to compute an extremely rough time estimate.

If the gamelog.txt in question hasn’t been made yet, you have more possible avenues to pursue. You could also probably figure out a way with DFHack scripting to drop a time stamp into the log every hour. Perhaps there might even be a way to have DFHack output a time stamp on every line, but I bet that would be a lot harder.