Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time Before Time World Gen  (Read 942 times)

JubileeGeode

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Time Before Time World Gen
« on: August 11, 2021, 05:43:13 pm »

The idea is to add a period of history before all the little people come in where the world is made of and by gods and megabeasts
And the idea is to make possible stuff like a mountain that in the time before time was a giant lion bear or something

And let the gods play with each other more directly and maybe simulate their personalities and what they represent change as they happen through events in the primordial world

This era would end with the creation of mortals and/or the death of the last true giants (creatures large enough to form landmasses and the like upon their death)

Its a very loose idea but I think it could be cool and add another layer of history to the world

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Time Before Time World Gen
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 05:49:56 pm »

This is very much the purpose of the myth and magic update coming in the future. In fact I think all of what you mentioned is either already on the table as planned (deities and primordial entities interacting) or a distinct possibility to get included tangentially (titans and critters ending up becoming land formations)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 06:02:20 pm »

Like Erik Blank said, it is firmly in the plans. I recommend either this presentation (starting at 9:00) or the 24th DF Talk as an introduction to the Dwarf Fortress myth generation plans. Both present the mythgen demo which, while far from the final product, is still indicative of what it might look like.

The development page gives a good overview over what’s planned for the future, in case you are curious. It also includes points on myth generation, of course.

JubileeGeode

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 06:05:30 pm »

Actually have just finished watching that panel after my wife recommended it
Feeling a lil silly
But also validated that this is literally what theyre already working on

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 11:17:37 pm »

This is actually the primary reason we have Steam, villains, and military/siege improvements in the immediate works in the first place. They're all ways that Toady hopes to keep people invested in the game over the estimated 2-4 years it'll take for him to develop the myth & magic systems.

Also no need to feel silly...heck, I'm pretty sure there's not a single one of us who knows absolutely everything Tarn and Zach have planned for DF. :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:22:23 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.