Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: [IC] Trespassers v2: Griftlands: The Bog Brawl  (Read 17757 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Trespassers v2: Griftlands: The Bog Brawl
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2022, 07:46:24 pm »

Ehto
The Baron Lieutenant reached into one of the pouches at her belt, pulling out a sturdy-looking, sealed container. Through the tough glass, Ehto can see what looks to be the remains of a dead insect - burned to a crisp by something. Before Ehto can examine it further, Arint puts it away. "As valuable as research into this threat is, we've got more immediate problems to worry about. Once the Flead Queen is dead, we can discuss samples and what your findings are."

Utzi, Friedhold and Nessa, Tsubasa and Shel

The Barons glance at one another uneasily as the little girl does her work, and then drinks the result.

The journey back is spent in tense silence, and even after the group returns to the Spark Baron HQ, the Barons have trouble looking any of the group in the eye. Arint approaches them.

"You're back, good. I take it the Erchinlord is dead?"

The two Barons try to raise their concerns, but Arint brushes them off. "I... I know. But the fact remains that we're not going to withstand this crisis without outside help." She turns back, as the Barons walk away. From the murmurs that can be heard, the people around the camp are starting to lose faith in the Barons - and some of the Barons are starting to lose faith in Arint. As she leads the group to the rest of the party, she tells them: "All right. Your role will be to enter this location -" she points to a spot on the map, a good distance from the Worker's shanties "- and eliminate the Flead Queen. The Queen's known to have a tough carapace that can make damaging it difficult, and it's also able to call forth lesser fleads using its psionic link. It's likely those fleads have matured. I'm afraid we won't be able to directly provide much support, but we can offer weapons and supplies at a discount. I'll leave you to prepare."

Weapons and items will be come available for purchase soon. In the meantime, characters can talk to one another or get ready in other ways.

StormLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Hurricane Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2022, 07:17:10 pm »

Friedhold and Nessa

Nessa blinks slowly as Utzi goes on, attempting to process what he was actually saying.
"...Eat?"
Around that time Utzi finally catches Friedhold's attention.
"Yes...I do not see a reason against this.  Next we visit the castle you may spend some time to train her."
He pauses as he glances down to her blank, nearly lifeless stare.
"Wait until she is within her own right mind first."
We are born, out of storm and thunder,
Raised, tear the worlds asunder,
Sent, in the darkest hour,
By the hands of power.

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2022, 08:30:55 pm »

Utzi
Utzi furrows his brow, not quite understanding how the girl could be out of her mind, as from what he knew, blood didn't usually cause visions. "Very well. I'll leave her to her recovery."

Utzi glances around the room for a moment before his eyes settle onto Ehto. "Ehto! It is good to see you. We just fought a very ill beast, and as we were slaying it, it occured to me that my weapons may not be up to the task of killing everything that we fight out here."
As Utzi speaks, he reaches to his side and pulls out a glowing blue section of some animal's spine. "I got this from a very strange trade with a giant lizard not long ago. I was wondering if you could help me turn it into a weapon."

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2022, 10:14:24 pm »

Ehto
The sorceress' shoulders dropped at Arint's terse rebuttal. The sound of her apprentice drawing near soon made her forget that disappointment though.

"Hm? Sure thing!" Her tail noticeably wagged as she took a few sniffs of the artifact, all the while stroking her chin, "There's not a lick of magic in it though. It's... close in a way I can't put my finger on. Doesn't matter though, if all you intend is to carve it into a spear or something then a standard containment sigil should be enough."
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2022, 10:22:41 pm »

Utzi
Utzi seems utterly befuddled at the wolf-girls response. "It's... not magical? Then how is it glowing? It is not a fire, and I do not think the strange built things I have seen in the future are frequently made of just some bones. That's very strange indeed."
Utzi frowns for a moment, then shrugs it off. "No matter. It has a strange power that likes to leap about from place to place with little direction. Putting it on a spear may give it some idea that I would like for it to be directed, not jumping all about the place. If you could put this "containment sigil" on it, I can gather up some parts from the bog, and I can build a new spear before the next hunt."

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2022, 10:32:17 pm »

Ehto
"Heh, already done~" The crossbreed snapped her fingers and immediately lines of glowing black traced themselves on the floor around the two of them, forming three interlocked rings that themselves were contained by  triangular perimeter. Beyond that boundary yet another circle was etched, large enough to contain it all, and before Utzi's very eyes the lines faded until they became writhing glyphs in a language he could not comprehend, flowing like a mid-summer stream as they lifted off the ground and floated several centimeters in midair in defiance of the gods and the natural laws alike.

"You can start anytime you're ready."
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2022, 10:51:14 pm »

Utzi
Utzi stares at the floating runes for a moment, before procuring a small, far less impressive, rock. It's smooth and dark-grey in tone, with a thin layer of frost accumulated in it from being on Utzi's person for who-knows-how long. Gingerly, the caveman places the Mercurial Rachis on the ground, in the center of the whirling glyphs. He stares at it for a quiet moment, seemingly taking in the strange blue bones, before he sits down cross-legged in front of it. A silent moment passes as Utzi holds the stone in his hand, regarding the bones with a studious look then...
WHAM!
Quote from: Stormlord
As Utzi begins to work with the bones they squirm in his grip, twisting and distorting like something alive with magic.   The first strike sends a fracture that releases untold powers, a cascade that Ehto barely manages to contain before the mass of bones flickers and vanishes.  Leaving only glowing splinters floating in space.
Knapped Chaos:  Slivers of Continuity
Level 5
May be used as ammunition for actions that consume spears.  Gives one fewer dice of damage and deals half as much damage to the user.  On hit, after damage, all characters on the same Init slot as the target take and deal 33% more damage.  The effect lasts for 1d3 rounds after which Knapped Chaos reappears in the user's possession.
A sparkling cascade of glowing bone briefly shimmers in the air, before it vanishes into nothing, leaving only a small, spearhead-shaped shard behind. Utzi goes to pick it up, and visibly jumps backwards as his hand touches the shard.
"Mammoth-fucker!"
Utzi grits his teeth, and goes back to pick up the shard, which he begins working with rather quickly, tying it to the long shaft of a spear with a strip of ancient leather. "It is not pleased with me. But it'll fly true and strike down our enemies nonetheless, out of respect if nothing else."

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2022, 11:01:16 pm »

Ehto
Mammoth-fucker? But aren't they massive? How would you even... never mind.

"Wait it's alive?" something on Ehto's face changed ever so slightly at the very notion. Maybe it was the pursing of her lips or the wrinkling of her nose, but some measure of disgust briefly etched itself across her features. "No. Nope, impossible, would've smelt if that were the case. Probably no different than a golem- that's a bunch of rocks molded into human shape and made to move with magic. Or whatever this thing uses... used? Who did you get this from again?"

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2022, 11:06:30 pm »

Utzi
Utzi shakes his head. "I do not think it is actually alive. The spirit of it was just displeased with my strike. It happens sometimes. Many tools get cursed by using parts from vengeful animals. Granted... I've never seen it happen quite like that. I got it from a blue Lizard who lived in a strange cavern connected to the castle via a portal."

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2022, 12:34:05 am »

Ehto
"Huh... don't know how I missed something like that." Ehto said, shaking her head in disappointment. "Anyway, guess that makes sense. It's not alive but there was definitely something aware enough to lashed out at us just now. As little as we know, an angered spirit seems just as plausible as some constructed intelligence. Just keep a close eye on it, eh? Possessed artifacts can be pretty... unpredictable."

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2022, 01:19:57 am »

Utzi
Utzi thinks for a moment, before carefully laying the spear across two of his fingers and balancing it for a moment, careful to not put his hands anywhere near the spearhead. "It's weight is just right. I will be able to predict it fine. An angered spirit is a dangerous thing, yes, but it is a weapon in my hands, and it will listen. I know where it bites now, and I can avoid it's mouth."
Utzi tests the weight and balance of the spear for a few more moments, before seeming satisfied with it, and putting it away with the others, his brow furrowing as something else seems to occur to him.
"... do you know what a "Psionic Link" is? I have never heard of one before. It sounds like something these "Fleads" use to communicate, but surely it cannot be like the normal sounds beasts use to talk if there is a separate word for it?"

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2022, 02:21:54 pm »

Ehto

"Nope," said Ehto with a shrug, "the concept is about as foreign to me as a 'god' was the first time I heard it. I've seen spells that let people have a conversation even over vast distances, but nothing like what you're describing. If they're still somehow using it to co-ordinate though, then chances are they're directly beaming ideas and thoughts into each others head. There's a few cases of it back home, but it's almost always the work of a powerful Astral creature that lacks a physical form, or two people binding their souls together which is... well it's even more intimate than marriage, we'll just say. Not many people are terribly comfortable with someone else always knowing what they're thinking or feeling, even if they love them. You effectively give up any privacy in exchange for becoming two parts of the same being."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 02:23:38 pm by Stratos »

StormLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Hurricane Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2022, 02:49:16 pm »

Friedhold & Nessa

After spending a moment to listen to Arint's speech Freidhold finds himself distracted by a nearby conversation.  He couldn't help but butt in quickly.
"Psionics are the study of using large complex machines to unlock the power of one's mind, commonly for communication or telekinesis.  A group of colleges of mine attempted using The Thinker for such an experiment, but only drove themselves mad.  I wonder what kind of machines altered these "Fleads" to unlock their minds?"
We are born, out of storm and thunder,
Raised, tear the worlds asunder,
Sent, in the darkest hour,
By the hands of power.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2022, 08:18:06 am »

Tsubasa

After listening in on the nearby conversation with her eyes closed and deciding that it was outside her area of expertise, she turned to Shel. "What's good to eat around here?"
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2022, 06:56:40 pm »

Rory
With the little speech concluded, Rory wandered off stopping near Tsubasa and Shel to pull a component from his weapon that appeared to be an ammo clip full of shiny dark red spikes. He looked up at Tsubasa's question, but didn't say anything despite his clear interest in the answer as he pretended to inspect the part.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21