Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) Petty Kingdom of New Mahallo: Reign of King Arawn  (Read 20137 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Petty Kingdom of New Mahallo: Reign of King Arawn
« Reply #345 on: August 27, 2021, 12:57:30 am »

On Magic:

There are three means by which a mortal might utilize the supernatural to their benefit.

Arcane Magic: Arcane Magic is achieved by communing with the Raw Arcane, a mysterious force, object, place, or being. The Raw Arcane is truly immense, believed to be the source of all matter, energy, and ideas; The vast majority of whatever the Raw Arcane is lies beyond the realm of mortal comprehension, but even the relatively small portion that a mortal might understand and utilize in a dependable fashion without going completely insane offers near limitless potential.

Mortal comprehension of the Raw Arcane separates it into Aspects, Communions, and Schools.

An Aspect is a portion of the Raw Arcane that is solely responsible and responsible solely for a facet of existence that the mortal brain can comprehend.

A mortal being has three means by which they might commune with the Raw Arcane: through their mind, body, or soul. Using different parts of one's self to commune with an aspect of the Raw Arcane yields different sets of magical rules and powers. It is known that some beings have additional methods of communion. Truly long-lived beings, for example, may use their past to commune, and some beings involved prophecy claim to commune through their destiny.

A school is a tradition and methodology of teaching and learning arcane magic. As arcane magic is fundamentally difficult, most schools focus on teaching a single form of communion with a single aspect of the Raw Arcane, a process which takes 20 to 40 years in most cases. Some schools take shortcuts through artifice or divine magic to teach multiple related communion/aspect combinations at once, or a single combination quickly and easily.

Divine Magic: Gods and spirits are wise enough to understand more of the raw arcane than mortals, and their concept of self includes means of communion beyond the mind, body, and soul that we understand. To some of these beings, casting magic is such a trivial affair they are willing to commune soul to soul or mind to mind with a mortal to lend spells, usually in exchange for worship or other favors and services.

Divine Magic is easier than Arcane Magic, and can theoretically produce any of the same spells (and then some), but most higher beings who lend spells do so through a framework that allows them to send mortals specific powers in response to specific thoughts and actions. As a result, most divine casters are more rigid and inflexible in the scope of their abilities than a similar arcane caster would be.

To cast divine magic without such a framework one must directly negotiate with the higher being in question for each spell, a process that typically involves a prolonged ritual and may require an understanding of Arcane Magic or Artifice. Some species and cultures consider these rituals as a separate fourth category of magic, but both the Imperials and the Mahallo place them under the umbrella of the divine.

Many people who want to learn Arcane Magic, start by dabbling in the divine. Communing with a higher being is great practice for using the mind or soul to commune with the raw arcane. Also, depending on the nature of the being, the aspect it is communing with, and the means of communion employed, it is very possible to translate a gifted divine spell into an understood arcane spell.

Artifice: As the raw arcane is the origin of everything, anything could potentially carry arcane energy. Artifice is the practice of discovering what animals, vegetables, and minerals carry magical properties that can be exploited in predictable ways.

Hardly anybody calls themselves an Artificer, or studies artifice as a whole; Artifice is usually broken down into cultural and artisanal traditions. Some people brew potions. Some engrave magic scrolls or runes. Some add magic to otherwise mundane crafts such as metalwork, masonry, or carpentry. Others incorporate material components to enhance or modify their arcane or divine spellcasting.

The idea that all these cases could be governed by a single set of laws relating to the use of magical materials was first explored by wise and long-lived beings such as dragons and liches. It was the Court of Agusta that first popularized these ideas among mortals; Her Philosopher's Stone induced 684 year reign capped by ascension rather than death was the golden age of artifice. During those days, humans produced truly amazing artifacts by combining the techniques and materials of multiple artifice traditions, and utilized material components in such a fashion that their mages and clerics were equal to even the oldest and wisest of elves in terms of spellcasting. After the Empress became God-Empress, however, the church in her name decided that easy access to the universal laws of artifice would eventually enable others to commit the most serious sin of replicating Agusta's accomplishments, and steps were taken to bring the golden age to an end.

Archives relating to the true and unified laws of artifice still exist in some of the larger and more important Imperial Temples, but only the most important clergy members may access them. Imperial Priests consider it a sacred duty to hunt down, collect, or destroy any writing on the matter. Artisans are still allowed to work magic items within their narrow tradition, but any experimentation or deviation from such a tradition is usually a capital offense. The archive Apollo manages at The Nameless City is the closest place to Imperial territory where one might freely study the topic in its true form today.

Your Magical Knowledge:

The Grand School of Illusions: Illusion is a catch all term for any mortal use of the Arcane Aspect of Perception. As mortal beings understand their world almost exclusively through their senses, communing with the aspect of Perception is by far the easiest act of Arcane Magic for a mortal to accomplish. Most reasonably intelligent humans can become proficient in masks, glamors, and flourishes in about 10 years. You accomplished it in 7.

Although less so than hexes, in Imperial lands Illusions are associated with Vampires and their allies, or other criminal elements.

Communing with the aspect of perception through one's body creates a flourish, or a short lived sensory effect that is guided by one's movement. Common examples include turning one's applause into thunderclaps, using the vibrations in one's behind to mask the sound of gas being passed, and creating beams of colored light by extending one's hand or fingers. Flourishes cannot last much longer than the action that guides them; Your best time is two seconds following the cessation of movement. Matriarch Mire, with centuries of experience behind her, can muster six seconds. Flourishes are perhaps the most commonly taught act of magic, as the concept can be picked up quickly and combined with other schools, or even divine magic, to create spells that are easily aimed.

Communing with the aspect of perception through one's mind creates a glamor. Glamors are large and long lasting sensory effects maintained by concentration. Your Glamors can last about a minute, two if you are willing to strain yourself to the point of exhaustion, and demand your complete and undivided attention to maintain. As Glamors are created based off of your understanding of the senses, they will appear odd, uncanny, incomplete, or even non-existent to creatures who see in colors or hear in frequencies that humans do not.

Communing with the aspect of perception through one's soul allows one to create a mask. A mask is an alternate sensory identity that covers a person, animal, or object. Masks are difficult to create, but easy to use. Designing a mask takes months of near constant meditation and extreme sleep depravation, but once one is made it is a powerful, versatile, and easy to use tool. A mask can be made for anything or anyone, including yourself, that you care about or otherwise feel attached to, and can be turned on or off with a thought so long as you can see the subject or are reasonably confident of its location. When you switch a mask on, you may choose to either perceive the mask, or exempt yourself from it and view reality as it actually is. If you make a mask for someone who understands how masks work, they may switch it on and off as if it were their own; To this end, you have not yet actually put in the time and effort to make your own mask, but several of Matriarch Mire's advanced students have made masks for you. A mask cannot change reality, but it can fool perception so thoroughly that it may as well; Mask a stick as a sword, and victims and bystanders will perceive pain and gashes, perhaps to the point of passing out. Mask a sword as a stick, and victims and bystanders will fail to notice a mortal wound until it is too late. Mask yourself with members or orifices you don't actually possess, and a romantic partner will experience non-existent penetration. A mask will only fail if an observer's logic or positioning trumps the false sensory input; The truth will be revealed if someone leans on empty space covered by part of a mask and falls through, or endures the pain of a fake wound long enough to conclude that they should have died of blood loss ages ago.

The School of Hexes: A hex is created by communing with the Arcane Aspect of Enchantment using one's body. Enchantment is usually one of the most difficult Arcane Aspects that a mortal could reasonably understand, but for hexes there is a shortcut. Prolonged exposure to hexes, or any of the more complicated magics created by combining hexes with artifice or other schools, acclimates ones body to them and allows a person to come to an understanding quickly. You spent two years receiving relatively harmless hexes on a daily basis before Matrairch Mire began instructing you in the field, and as a result picked up a proficient level of skill in only four years of work.

Hexes are a key ingredient in the creation of many beings that were once mortal: in particular vampires. Because vampires were made with hexes, they are super attuned to them and often master the skill themselves. The association between vampires and hexes is so ubiquitous, that it is often reasonable to assume that any mortal who practices this school of magic is in league with the bloodsuckers.

A hex is a malicious spell woven into flesh through physical contact. A hex can never be cast with truly benevolent or altruistic intent, although helpful hexes can be woven as part of the terms of a deal so long as the caster believes they are truly taking advantage of the subject or causing it great misery. A hex is rarely directly fatal, but some, such as a hex of brittle bones or disease susceptibility, can easily become death sentences. A being may only hex things similar to themselves; You can hex most organic creatures, as well as mammalian and humanoid corpses. Vampires who were once human can do the same, but also hex any manner of undead. Some species of elves can hex plants, and undead derived from such elves possess the unique ability to hex paper.

When weaving a hex, you may add outs and trigger conditions. Most hexes last a few weeks to a few months depending on the potency of the spell and the level of skill expressed in weaving it. A hex can be stabilized and its duration extended, often to well beyond a human subject's natural lifespan, by weaving in a reasonable out, or condition the subject may fulfill to break the spell. A hex can also be made to lie dormant until a triggering condition is met. Truly devastating and lethal hexes require reasonably avoidable triggering conditions to last for more than a few heartbeats.

The terms and effects of a hex are always visibly etched into the subjects skin, almost always in the caster's native language. Skilled hex weavers can take their time and make the hex less legible by arranging the sentences into complex geometric shapes, using ugly penmanship, or even employing a cypher. Truly skilled (read not mortal) hex masters can even write out their hexes in the inscrutable rune-language of the Raw Arcane.

The time it takes to weave a hex varies greatly. It would take you well over an hour to weave a hex you just invented off the top of your head that includes both an out and a trigger condition. But with a few weeks practice you can usually weave a specific simple hex with no clauses onto a grappled and struggling target in thirty seconds or less.

---

Hey look! I added magic to the character sheet!

Petty King Arawn Volcanique of New Mahallo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 27, 2021, 04:23:12 am »

Sluthound
:D

See, it's not inherently negative. If she were real she seems like she'd probably find it funny.

Anyway, Marion turned out to be actually kind of awesome? Maybe I just want to marry a shoujo protagonist, okay. (That is what she seems like, right? I'm not actually a weeb and don't really know what the hell I'm talking about)

Ask Burt if he'll throw the party in Bride Price or otherwise has some idea to help our mother to attend. She should be there.

Simone seems... nice enough. I like the whole Eowyn thing she has going on, but she doesn't quite seem to... have any personality other than that. Definitely put in a good word for her with Kane. Actually, try to make it seem like she actually has a thing for him and isn't just picking him as second-best because she's being a little rude but I'm willing to cover for it.

It'd be great if we could find some way to employ Juliette. She seems like a useful friend to have around. If she's not too mad about not being picked.

I... agree that Gisele kind of creeps me out too.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 27, 2021, 01:18:51 pm »

I guess I’m on the Marion train.
I WANT to like Gisele for the MAGICS, but I feel like the illusion aspects of the magic seen here are something we should already be able to access contacts to learn from, and the mindreading(?)/guiding aspects are way too dangerous. I got to investigate what Halia’s brand of ambition and cunning is like I wanted, and it seems a bit too murderhappy for my tastes. Marion isn’t necessarily stunning for my priorities, but she could make a potentially powerful partner later on and ISNT likely to fuck us over when we’re trying to be ambitious and wildly-ass unorthodox (in fact she’s likely to try to be actively helpful, which is a plus), especially as far as imperials go, and Luanda doesn’t stand out to me at all, so…

However, marry Marion in Bride Price. Not only do I want our mother to attend, but marrying an imperial ought to be something that should settle Burt down a bit in preparation for the moment where we yank at least one of his guys off of the council (because we really do need to take at least one off, and I really want to replace Mathias), not something that gives him leverage over us.

Also, set an event of some sort up for Kane and Simone, maybe a hunt.
Spin’s right that she’s being rude - might as well see if they naturally hit it off when on their own.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 02:13:00 am by Powder Miner »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2021, 01:44:31 pm »

Sluthound
:D

See, it's not inherently negative. If she were real she seems like she'd probably find it funny.

Anyway, Marion turned out to be actually kind of awesome? Maybe I just want to marry a shoujo protagonist, okay. (That is what she seems like, right? I'm not actually a weeb and don't really know what the hell I'm talking about)

Ask Burt if he'll throw the party in Bride Price or otherwise has some idea to help our mother to attend. She should be there.

Simone seems... nice enough. I like the whole Eowyn thing she has going on, but she doesn't quite seem to... have any personality other than that. Definitely put in a good word for her with Kane. Actually, try to make it seem like she actually has a thing for him and isn't just picking him as second-best because she's being a little rude but I'm willing to cover for it.

It'd be great if we could find some way to employ Juliette. She seems like a useful friend to have around. If she's not too mad about not being picked.

I... agree that Gisele kind of creeps me out too.
+1
+1
In addition, when we get free time we ask matriarch mire about how to make our illusions concrete.  Then, we try to learn from that book our brother is using.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 28, 2021, 06:45:59 pm »

Quote from: Proposal Vote
Marion = 6
Gisele = 1

(Re: Where to hold the wedding. I got +3 to ask if Burt would move the party to Bride Price. Other votes that are likely for doing the ceremony at St. Arawn are not explicitly phrased: 'do it soon' or 'let Burt pick up the tab'. I'll interpret this as you'll ask Burt to move the ceremony, but just tie the knot here if he says no.)

---

With the possible exception of your sister Penette on the day that you reported back to her just how successful her Mahallo Centipede Snatchers were at hunting, you have never seen anybody as happy as Marion is when you take a knee before her and ask to be her husband. Your proposal briefly transforms her from the young lady confident enough to steal you of Gisele's arm for a dance, to an excited young girl on her birthday, powerless to do more than gawk at the amazing gift she has just received. One of the priests who serves as guardian to your orphan bride has to snap her to attention and remind Marion that she is supposed to answer your question with a 'yes'.

With the proposal out of the way, you take care of a few more small items before retiring for the night.

Quote from: Imperial Etiquette to Convice Andre to make Juliette a Long Term Thing
Skill = 3
Roll = 5
Bonus for king Interacting with his Subject: -1
Final Result: 4

You insinuate to Andre that he should woo the Imperial widow for more than a single night, and perhaps even consider making her his bride. Right away, you can tell that your half-brother isn't terribly comfortable with the idea. "Is this a suggestion from my brother?" He asks, "Or a demand from my King?"

Quote from: Mahallo Etiquette to set up Simone with Kane
Skill = 4
Roll = 2
Final Result: 1

Kane perks up a bit when you mention Simone to him. "You think she is interested in me? I think she's damn fine looking and knows her shit when it comes to the wilderness." Your friend frowns, "I'm not sure my father would approve of me marrying the daughter of an Imperial, nor hers of her marrying a Mahallo savage. Might be a hard match to make. But I doubt anybody will object too much if you give your blessing to the union. I'll propose before we leave town! Keanu and I have other business to attend to tonight..."

Quote from: Mahallo Etiquette to move Wedding to Bride Price
Skill = 3
Roll = 1
Final Result: 0

When you ask Burt about moving the wedding back to Bride Price so that Queen Mother Anne might attend, he briefly frowns and launches into a diatriad about how he has invested more than your entire royal treasury into preparing for the wedding... before he bursts out into a fit of laughter, slaps his knee, and tells you it is of no concern. His wealth is such that making even an expensive concession such as moving the whole ordeal is worth it to please his king.

---

Following the ball, you return to the suite Burt has afforded you at one of his personal manors in town. As you disrobe for the evening, a note falls out of your pocket. Your brow furrows as you read. Although the author avoids incriminating herself directly by signing it, you recognize the handwriting as Halia's from the note she left on your gift basket. The fact the note invites you to seek the author out without providing further instructions implies she thinks you are clever enough to connect the dots on this matter.

Quote from: note
A few quick facts about Korrag's Spy Network:

1 - The primary spies are malicious spirits, who are handled by Mahallo druids. Some of the druids were seduced by the Orc's promises of power. Others consider the people of the Bloodstone Plateau to be a lesser evil than the crusaders who now control the government. The Archdruid and his inner circle have allowed this all to happen through their lax security and blind trust of the druids they have trained, but Tamar and company are otherwise blameless.
2 - Assume the spies know everything you do and say. The only places you are safe are in consecrated holy sites of non-druidic religions, or in the presence of a trusted druid with the skill to detect hostile spirits.
3 - Most, but not all, of the spirits involved cannot read Imperial Script. Written communication is far safer than verbal.
4 - We know you and Anders are some of the only people in the Kingdom who take the threat of Korrag's spies seriously. Either of you could be assassinated if we feel you are getting too close to the truth.
5 - I am your double agent. You will be warned if Korrag is planning something big. If you would like to leverage the spy network to gather information you might find useful, seek me out.

Please destroy this note before you return to Bride Price.

---

Chaos unfolds in St. Arawn the following day as you prepare to depart. Burt's son and your chancellor Mateo De'Ville has not been seen since the Ball last night. He had been pretty drunk, and his route home would have taken him right along the river bank. People whisper that a crocodile might have got him. You note Kaylee, whom Mateo made a fool of last night, is a highly vocal proponent of this theory.

Either way, you and your entourage must begin the return trip to Bride Price, and cannot stick around to assist in the search.

The journey back home passes mostly the same as the trip out, albiet with a few new faces.

Your eldest sister Beatrix, a prim, grim, and straight laced woman, is traveling home with you. Tradition states that the wife or a close female relative should serve on the monarch's council as Lady of the Court. Your mother is indisposed with a high risk pregnancy, and your bride to be is not yet quite old enough to participate in official government matters, so Beatrix is to fill the role for now. Married off to a minor lord in the Titan Lands before you were even born, Beatrix is the only one of King Alan's daughters not separated from you by the blockade. The ball represented your first ever meeting with Beatrix, and you have no idea of how she regards you beneath her inscrutable and nearly emotionless face.

Marion joins your train in her own carriage. You don't see much of your soon-to-be queen during the journey. By day, she hides from the sun in her carriage, and her guardians refuse to let you have any time alone with her at night before you are wed. Said guardians, Jasper and Clarence, are a pair of lowborn priests from The Titan Canyons who used to run an orphanage together before discovering and devoting their lives to raising the prophesized the Eclipse Mother. Like most commoners to join the priesthood, they have had little training in the magical aspects of The Imperial Clergy. Marion tells you to think of the pair as your fathers-in-law, implying that they will be around your court for as long as she is. Between their humble garb, atrocious local Titanlands accents, lack of skill in magic, and poorly concealed intimate relationship, you know you will have your hands full preventing the mean-spirited duo of Kane and Kaylee from tormenting them.

---

Kane Approaches you on the night before you are scheduled to arrive in Bride Price, with his plan to land Simone as his bride. "I shall arrange a hunting trip out into the Outer Savannah in search of legendary game. Simone will attend your wedding, so I'll invite her then. While we are out, I'll bed her. When you find out, you can 'defend her honor' and make a demand that I take her as my wife that neither of our families can refuse. You don't have to be present for this plan to work, Arawn, but If you want to leave the realm to your council and join us, I can arrange it so you have ample time following the wedding to get to know Marion before we depart."

Do you approve of this plan? If so, do you want to join the hunt?

---

Back at Bride Price, a caravan full of supplies and staff for the wedding arrives only a few days after you do. The ceremony will take place in a few weeks.

Aside from the disturbing note slipped into your pocket at the ball, the only potentially pressing matter in front of you is the matter of your missing chancellor. Whatever happened to Mateo, you now have the opportunity to put a loyalist on your council.

The polite thing to do would be to name somebody acting chancellor and wait a respectable amount of time before presuming Burt De'Ville's son dead. In theory, anybody with decent social skills should be able to handle the position, which amounts to your chief diplomat. Texulchimum is neutral in all human affairs. Penteram is your ally, if not your unofficial liege. And the elves and orc-bloods will likely keep hating you no matter who holds the office of chancellor. There should be no harm in putting a friend or confidant in the position, at least in the short term. If you want a qualified candidate, you could put out feelers to some faction or another while you wait for Mateo's unlikely reappearance.

Do you have any other business to attend to before the wedding?

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 28, 2021, 07:23:59 pm »

Suggestion from a brother No reason to force em to marry if he doesnt want to

Approve of the plan and join the hunt Sounds like it will be a fun outing

Put Mathias as acting councilor while we put Nails as our spymaster then have him investigate Mateo's disappearance While Mateo most likely dying does work out in our benefit and honestly good riddance we should probably make a effort to atleast look like we care before people/the other Devil's De'Ville's start thinking we did this somehow.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 10:24:47 am by Fluffe9911 »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 28, 2021, 07:30:34 pm »

Put Penteram as acting councilor while we have our spymaster investigate Mateo's disappearance While Mateo most likely dying does work out in our benefit and honestly good riddance we should probably make a effort to atleast look like we care before people/the other Devil's De'Ville's start thinking we did this somehow.

Penteram has his own Kingdom to run. :p

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 28, 2021, 07:33:20 pm »

Put Penteram as acting councilor while we have our spymaster investigate Mateo's disappearance While Mateo most likely dying does work out in our benefit and honestly good riddance we should probably make a effort to atleast look like we care before people/the other Devil's De'Ville's start thinking we did this somehow.

Penteram has his own Kingdom to run. :p
Just have him write a ton of letters that say "I agree with what the king said" lol

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 28, 2021, 07:35:22 pm »

Okay, Andre if you want it to be like this, you don’t need to get prissy. It’s a subtle nudge in the right direction Andre, you're eventually going to need to become married but let’s not try to harm our relationship with our older brother.

Approve of the plan, I’m wary of joining the hunt just so we can know Marion better and leaving the realm to our council. We should have more direct control before the wedding, and I’d like to speak to our Marshal.

We should definitely replace our chancellor, I would say Kaylee for Chancellor because from the previous post it tells us that she has courtly knowledge and is a loyalist sycophant. Kane’s going to be away with his hunting trip and Keanu is apparently too rural-like for proper etiquette and decorum. My second guess would be Phillip just so we have someone there, but he’s not much of a loyalist but he has a lot of imperialist social knowledge but his loyalties are mixed. Eventually we would replace Kaylee or Phillip with our Queen Mother Anne for the position, and our wife Marion for Lady of the Court. Then we have 4 loyalists on the court.

Write a letter in imperial script directed towards Halia written in a consecrated holy site and then deliver it inconspicuously to Halia, to see if she could do some “permanent disclosing future contact” with our previous chancellor Mateo as a crocodile

Other Business: I imagine it’s too much work on a proper investigation into the Druid’s that working with Korrag, but he should be our first priority to remove from existence as king, he’s been too much of a pain in our backs to continue our existence. I think the main goal should be uniting the Mahello and Crusading armies together and then go in raid and destroy the orcs.

Have a conversation with our Marshal in a holy consecrated site about the plausibility of an Orc attack.

Also ask how much time and resources are going to be needed to finally build a proper stone wall for St. Arawn for a plausible full army attack by the Bloodstone Raiders
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:13:02 am by Shadowclaw777 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 28, 2021, 09:02:43 pm »

Aw hell. Ambitious indeed.

Other Business: I imagine it’s too much work on a proper investigation into the Druid’s that working with Korrag, but he should be our first priority to remove from existence as king, he’s been too much of a pain in our backs to continue our existence. I think the main goal should be uniting the Mahello and Crusading armies together and then go in raid and destroy the orcs.

Have a conversation with our Marshal in a holy consecrated site about what kind of military force and economic support to fund the troops we would need to be able conquer the Bloodstone Plateau region for good. Should we start a recruitment drive, get enough money for mercenaries, get help from the Mahello raiders, etc just some advice on this front.
I see no harm in asking, but Bloodstone Plateau is an invincible fortress that has withstood far greater armies than our entire realm has access to. Destroying the orcs will likely be a generations-long crusade, not a raid.

Perhaps even more likely than that, it'll end up being a matter of internal politics or just effective defenses to keep them out of places we value.

Suggestion from a brother No reason to force em to marry if he doesnt want to

Approve of the plan and join the hunt Sounds like it will be a fun outing
+1 to these two, but wait to appoint a new chancellor. I wouldn't mind investigating his disappearance but I assume Burt will be better situated to do so.

We should definitely replace our chancellor, I would say Kaylee for Chancellor because from the previous post it tells us that she has courtly knowledge and is a loyalist sycophant. Kane’s going to be away with his hunting trip and Keanu is apparently too rural-like for proper etiquette and decorum. My second guess would be Phillip just so we have someone there, but he’s not much of a loyalist but he has a lot of imperialist social knowledge but his loyalties are mixed. Eventually we would replace Kaylee or Phillip with our Queen Mother Anne for the position, and our wife Marion for Lady of the Court. Then we have 4 loyalists on the court.
+1 to Kaylee as acting Chancellor.

We have a few weeks before the wedding, we should spend them investigating Alan's curse. This will give us an excuse to look into the Druids without tipping anyone off that we know about the spies, hopefully move closer to a cure for our brother, and get our family closer to in order for the wedding. It should also be relatively quick, unlike a longer term project like pretending to hunt down spies.

We could also start fishing for vampires to talk with them about rooting non-Vampiric corruption out of our realm, but this would involve very loudly confessing to the orcs that we're in good with the Bleachedkin. Not sure we want to tip our hand like that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2021, 10:13:17 pm »

We need to replace our spymaster. This note VASTLY ups the threat level of Korrag's spy ring, and means that sitting around on our ass with only us and Anders being around to do anything about it is very not good indeed. Even though spirits are the main tool of the ring, they're still druids, and a spymaster can still tear them a new one.

Mathias, however, can't do this for shit. Being who he is, his rooting around for druids to fuck up is going to be a big god damn deal. Being who he is, even getting this whole scenario explained would be extraordinarily difficult and probably dangerous, given how thoroughly powerful the ring is. Being who he is, he's completely out of his depth in dealing with it. We're putting ourselves and Anders in deep, deep shit if we do this ourselves because we don't replace the guy whose job it is to help deal with spy rings when he's unable to help deal with a spy ring.

Nails, on the other hand, has several advantages. Being Mahallo, even though his rooting around isn't necessarily nothing, it's less apocalyptic - and he should be able to do it more easily. With his background, he should be well capable of rather thoroughly deconstructing the spy ring. Being a Dragon Cleric, he's damn well capable of taking care of himself against people like the druids, and being a Dragon CLERIC, he's even capable of providing another source of protection for Arawn and important personnel if he can consecrate, meaning that Arawn doesn't need to rely fully on Anders for this (collaborating with Anders too closely on the spy ring is a bit risky, I feel, given how closely both are being looked at). Being educated in magic, he should also not be totally out of his depth when dealing with the situation of hostile magic-using spies - at least, he has a better ability to deal with this than either Mathias or Lele. Nails is multifarious and extremely useful tool at best and a much less out-of-place, much MUCH less worthless spymaster at a time when we could REALLY USE A GOOD SPYMASTER.

I'm not sure how much of an opportunity the Chancellor murder gives us here, but it might at least give us some of one - perhaps we can shuffle the DeVilles around, put someone less offensive in the Chancellor seat, or maybe we can just straight-ass remove Mathias and mollify Burt by offering him the Chancellor seat back (or make a deal with Burt accomplishing the same things). Presently, I think the Spymaster seat is MUCH more urgent. There's room for a dickhead chancellor to cause issues (if domestically more than anything else) but we have issues right now in the Spymaster realm that are more than potential.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 28, 2021, 10:45:29 pm »

I mean we could do a council reshuffle and move our spymaster to our councilor position while we hire someone else to be our new spymaster (although having a xenophobe as our councilor is debatably worse than him being our spymaster)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 29, 2021, 03:16:28 am »

We might be better off just ignoring Mathias having our own person do spy stuff behind his back.

Lets just replace the councilor with Kaylee.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 29, 2021, 04:01:20 am »

I feel like you're overstating how much of a fuckstick Mathias is and how much more effective Somebody Else might be against traitor Druids using The Spirits Themselves to invisibly spy on our every move, but I agree that Nails sounds unusually well qualified for the job.

We definitely need a reason to replace him, though. Ideally we'd get Nails to look into something for us, at which point he'd uncover something big right under Mathias' nose. The problem is that we probably want to wipe out the traitor Druids in one go, not catch one and let everyone know we know that they know. Otherwise having him look into Alan's curse and "accidentally" stumble across a vast conspiracy would be perfect.

There's also the vast corruption within the city itself, but that's not exactly our spymaster's job unless we tell him it is.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 29, 2021, 04:07:21 am »

We might be better off just ignoring Mathias having our own person do spy stuff behind his back.

Lets just replace the councilor with Kaylee.
The problem with this is that finding other people doing spy stuff in our court is his job, and he is probably not so bad at it that he will not notice.

Why not just, like, give him a chance? Bring him (and Anders, for that matter) into a church or some other safe zone and, by means of written communication to be burned immediately after reading, inform him of the basic situation without enough information for him to go off half-cocked on (ie, "I've been warned of the possible existence of magical spies in the court, I need your help to investigate this but we will need to be careful to avoid raising suspicion", explain the conditions under which the magical spies can and cannot spy on you, etc.), then explain that Imperials investigating would stand out but we have some trusted friends who can find out about the matter and we expect him to work with them. Furthermore, we should insist that he is to continue acting as though he does not believe in the spies, as should anyone involved in the investigation, and we will also act in public as though we are beginning to believe and accept his assurances that the spies do not exist.

I'm more or less down with making Kaylee a Spy (acting) Chancellor, unless someone wants to pick somebody who hasn't already been made fun of as a backwards rustic. Either way she should be involved in our investigation.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31