Me
- 3 (20%)
Traditional Gods
- 1 (6.7%)
Other
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)  (Read 15869 times)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
Re: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2021, 12:45:28 pm »

the people on the bay12 forums are the gods of the world and toady is king of the gods.  also attempt to make female squirrels using squirrel ribs. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2021, 01:12:30 pm »

the people on the bay12 forums are the gods of the world and toady is king of the gods.  also attempt to make female squirrels using squirrel ribs. 
this at least won’t have a chance of hurting you, and you get squirrel meat if it fails

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2021, 01:18:21 pm »

But doing it to himself won’t hurt if he fails either. Like, I dunno why you think he’d punch his fingertips through his skin if this is as realistic as it’s been played up to now

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2021, 05:03:35 pm »

But doing it to himself won’t hurt if he fails either. Like, I dunno why you think he’d punch his fingertips through his skin if this is as realistic as it’s been played up to now
We don't know how long he's been out so far, imagine how nasty his fingernails might be

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2021, 05:41:15 pm »

If his nails are that nasty then he deserves death.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2021, 03:28:37 am »

Lets just try the rib thing, you now for science.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2021, 02:46:37 pm »

Lets just try the rib thing, you now for science.
!!!FOR SCIENCE!!!
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2021, 03:22:59 pm »

Do it on a squirrel or something first, to be safe.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2021, 03:40:32 pm »

Do it on a squirrel or something first, to be safe.

Speaking of violating small furry creatures, supposedly there's a way to gut a rabbit by making its' innards explode out its' asshole.

No really, it's taught in SERE.  Here's illustration if you don't believe me.

The modern manual (600+ page pdf) describes this, but lacks the awesome illustration.

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/usaf/afh10-644.pdf
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 03:43:06 pm by ConscriptFive »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2021, 05:19:50 pm »

Anyway. I was thinking more about housing. You could make clay bricks for a house, but that will take quite a while to get enough, so I suggest an alternative. Wattle and daub, been in use since the Copper age, somewhere we want to get you to in the next couple of weeks.

Before you begin, you'll need some tools:
- An axe (aka, a sharp rock)
- a hammer (aka, a heavy rock)
- A basket (I'll explain how to make one below). Use it haul all your smaller materials around

You also need the following materials:
- Twenty five 4ft long stakes, 3in wide, for your wall supports
- Twelve 10ft long stakes, 3in wide, for roof supports
- A lot of shorter, but sturdy sticks for bracing your roof supports
- A large number of long & thin sticks/vines for weaving
- Vast quantities of hay/straw for thatch and bulking your daub (made by cutting wild grasses and leaving them to dry)
- Clay, to bind your daub
- Dirt or sand, as aggregate for your daub
- Lots of vines, for rope

Finally, pick a large flat area you like the look of to build your house.

As you can see this is a serious undertaking, but once you're done you shouldn't have to worry about a new home for a long time. This will keep you warm and dry, give you space to keep your stuff, and will make you feel a little less helpless.

Let's begin. Sharpen one end of each of your stakes to make it easier to ram them into the ground, evenly spaced in a circle about 16 feet diameter. Remember to leave a gap for a doorway. If I've done my math right it should be about two feet between each post. You then want to take your thinner sticks/vines and weave them between the upright posts to make a fence like the image below. See how each strand goes in and out, opposite direction to the one above/below? You can actually use this same method to weave a basket as well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway! This is your wattle. You can leave it at that for now, and it'll keep some of the weather off of you, but as you can see by all the wholes, we ain't done yet. Now you need to make your daub. Mix equal parts clay, sand/dirt and add some hay to keep it together, thrn slap that onto your wattle wall, both inside and out, until it goes from that first picture through the left hand panel below, on to the right. Leave that to dry for a bit, and it'll be almost as good as a brick wall.

Now, we build the roof. Pick a clear space to assemble the skeleton of the roof. You'll want to take your twelve sticks and array them in a circle like the spokes of a wheel, then use your rope to bind them together in the middle, so that the center of your roof rises about five feet off the ground. Thanks to Pythagoras this should make your roof wide enough to cover your house with about half a foot of overhang. Now, use all your remaining sticks and rope to bind the main spoles together like a spier web, to make the roof nice and sturdy. You should test this by climbing on top of it, cos I'd much rather it broke on you here than after you've dragged it on top of your house.

Speaking of. You're gonna have to work those muscles to set your frame on top of your walls. They should've dried out by now. Dont worry, we're on the home stretch.

Now you're going to make bundles of your hay. By which I mean, get them all lined up, and grab enough to fill both hands comfortably. Get some more rope and tie it off in the middle. Now you have one bundle of thatch. You'll need quite a few. Start tying these to the outside of your roof frame, making sure the individual strands are pointing in the same direction as the spokes, and starting at the lowest point on the roof. This way later bundles will overlap, just like roof tiles. Your thatch is not going to look at wonderful as the pic below, but then you don't have straw that has undergone millenia of artificial selection.

After a lot of hard, honest graft, you'll end up with something that looks like this:

I bet you've never felt so accomplished in your whole life.

Oh yeah! I promised to tell you how to make a basket. Get a handful of thin sticks, of equal length, and make a circle, with the sticks as spokes, with the center of each stick at the center of your basket. Using the same weaving principle as for your walls, go back and forth through these to make your basket. You can adjust the angle of your spoke sticks to make various shapes in your basket, but that is basically it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2021, 05:47:53 am »

Speaking of violating small furry creatures, supposedly there's a way to gut a rabbit by making its' innards explode out its' asshole.

No really, it's taught in SERE.  Here's illustration if you don't believe me.

There's something pretty metal about swinging a rabbit so hard it shits it's guts out.

Also isn't wattle and daub a little advanced for someone to do by themselves, and wouldn't a peaked roof be easier than a cone?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2021, 06:18:23 am »

Wattle and daub isn't particularly advanced. Less so than a log cabin of properly fired bricks would be, anyway. Re: roof, id be fine with switching over to a peaked roof rather than conical, although it'd be easier withq rectangular house. Definitely worth debating the merits ox though,as its a big investment and even if Stirk started now it'll take some time before he's got all the materials together anyway.

Oh yeah, Stirk: An easy task for you. Over the next few days, check what time sunrise and sunset is. This can hopefully pinpoint your location a bit better (assuming this world of yours is geologically recent Earth), and also tell us what season it is. If we're going into Summer we won't have to worry about a better shelter as quickly as we would if it it's almost Winter.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 06:22:15 am by Kashyyk »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2021, 04:04:30 pm »

As much as I like the idea, I have to come down very firmly against building Kashyyk's outlined structure. You are still at the hunter-gatherer stage and I do not recommend expending labour, much less several days of labour, on constructing permanent shelter. You will probably want to return to your present site at some point; you cannot expect to stay there often. This is also one of many reasons why I am prioritizing acquiring the resources to hunt something large enough to skin and then do so - a tent is a much more practical homestead for you right now.

Oh yeah, Stirk: An easy task for you. Over the next few days, check what time sunrise and sunset is. This can hopefully pinpoint your location a bit better (assuming this world of yours is geologically recent Earth), and also tell us what season it is. If we're going into Summer we won't have to worry about a better shelter as quickly as we would if it it's almost Winter.
Can he even tell time? He should certainly try to tell if the days are getting shorter or longer, and if one of you wants to design a clock - might I suggest Foucault's pendulum? - I won't say a word against it, but I was under the impression that his technological clocks are mysteriously unreliable.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2021, 04:07:39 pm »

I thought his phone's on-board was still self-accurate. Worth double checking though.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2021, 05:06:52 pm »

I feel like people are outright ignoring the fact that he wants/needs to have electricity very soon (within a week or two as previously stated) or else the phone dies and he dies. Taking steps through the ages is fine if you’re playing Civilization or Spore, but not when we’re on a very short very strict timeline

Magic is the best bet we have. Tear out your rib with your bear hands while chanting kalima, cover it in mud and breathe on it to create a woman.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19