Me
- 3 (20%)
Traditional Gods
- 1 (6.7%)
Other
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)  (Read 15796 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2021, 09:45:41 pm »

That's probably due to the suggestions not based in extremely gritty reality being shot down, which doesn't really give Stirk much to play with either.[...]
So hold on, back up with me for a second here. What exactly is stopping you from suggesting whatever you want? It sounds like you're complaining that other people are doing what they (we) want instead of what you want.

You do it your way, I'll do it my way. Nobody fishes in the middle.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2021, 10:12:28 pm »

The problem is people spoke out in opposition of my proposal, so my proposal wasn’t done. I literally can’t do it my way if the only time things go to a vote is when I try my way? I’m being forced to convince people to try something different, and that’s what I’m trying to do.

This isn’t a “oh nobody is doing what I want so I’m gonna bitch about it”, it’s “the rules seemed to change for me so I need to adjust how I go about what I’m doing accordingly”.

Don’t try to reduce what I’m saying to something it isn’t

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2021, 10:22:55 pm »

Caught a bird! Its uh...really tiny. It tried to fly a way when I jumped at it and its wings got caught in the bird glue. I just kinda broke it with my hands. Brown with a white belly. I'm trying to collect its feathers as I'm plucking it but its starting to look tinier and tinier as I do. Butchering didn't go great. Everything is kinda squished. I think I found the heart and the liver but I don't really trust myself on the other bits right now. I'll start roasting it and eat what I can for dinner.

Rope is done too. I've got a couple of several feet ropes that are still kinda amateurish but look better then my previous vine-work. Not sure what to do with them.

Nah its not that important was mostly just trying to piece together where you are at currently I got you pinned based off the pine trees, huckleberries and Virginia Creeper somewhere in upper north america or lower Eastern Canada... which is a good or bad thing depending on your perspective

Well it means I'm going to get really cold I guess. Is there any valuable resources in this area?

Yes. Actually, there are bunch of different ways to make bricks which might be more suitable in your circumstances, so what did you want bricks for?

Someone suggested making an oven, so probably that to start with. I do seem to have to use fire a lot.

Yeah, but then you have a glue-covered rock, so you should be able to place glue-covered rocks as traps.

I guess I could try, there just kinda small rocks and are hard to handle without sticking to other things. I think I like the stick better. Theoretically the cup will be best anyway.

Conservatively, I'd say at least a couple hours? It's tackiest when it's started to harden a little and is no longer runny, but still soft enough to sink into. As I'm sure you noticed, the sap is very sticky even straight from the tree.

I just didn't know if heating it up then solidifying it made it not-sticky. I guess its something I'll have to make whenever I want to bird hunt instead of just making a bunch of and keeping in a jar or something.

I'm so proud of you! Go out there and kill gruesomely in my name!

Careful. If you're not you guys will end up as the gods of this world. I'm not sure what to feel if my children start sacrificing goats to you.

Use a mix to catch a better variety of stuff.

Oh. That is another thing that seems obvious in retrospect. Thanks.

I recommend you at least give the butchering a college try with your first catch, and see how viable it is with your current toolset. If you feel like it's just making a mess without being helpful, don't bother with it for now. I'd love to get you a proper knife, but man, that's going to be a lot of trouble. Shame you weren't carrying a pocketknife.

I was sleeping! People don't sleep with a pocketknife!

I could get it open but between my toolset and throttling as mentioned above it got messy. I can probably eat the important parts at least. Maybe next time I can kill it gentler and it'll be easier. Birds are a lot more delicate than I realized. I think I broke all of its bones between murdering it and trying to get it open with pointy sticks and rocks.

Yeah. Take a few and twist them together in a sequence so that they lock each other in place a bit, like a braid. Well, it is a braid. For example, if you have three lined up and we call them A, B, and C, cross B over A, C over B, and A over C, then repeat.

If your hunting and rope-making works out, get some food in your pockets (do you have pockets?), make the longest pointy sticks you can get and reasonably carry, and set off for a little expedition. Watch out for bears. And moose. On the other hand, it'll be good if you can find any white-tailed deer... if you're far enough in the past or a post-apocalyptic future, they have no natural fear of humans; don't cause one just yet, but you're going to be giving them a good reason before long, because you need skins.

The purpose of the expedition, for now, is just going to be locating more resources, so make notes of everything you come across and where, and make sure to leave a trail. Let me know when you feel comfortable heading out.

Both worked out reasonably well, and I do indeed have pajama pockets. Someone else mentioned exploring and I'll ask the same thing I did earlier, should I try making some shoes first?

Since you appear to be in the US have you heard any aircraft flying over or seen any small flashing lights in the sky at night, or even the glow from something in the distance?

Nope. I mostly spent last night huddled in my lean-to and didn't do much stargazing but if I saw something like that I'd probably head back to civilization and sheepishly admit I was in the modern era the whole time. Trust me, if I do end up finding any sign of civilization the first thing I'll do is flip out my phone and tell you guys about it. Even if it is stone age.

You should probably do that rib removal and woman creation ritual. Seriously people, why are we voting against this? If we’re following real world logic then he will do literally nothing and we can go about our days. If however he manages to succeed at any single level in the task of ripping out ones own rib and making a woman with it then we know we can fuck around with even more.

Maybe I could do it with something else's rib? The bird's ribs are kinda in pieces at this point but now that I'm a mighty hunter we could try making a female squirrel then working up from there.

So try some psuedo-Pascalian Wagers?

I mean, have we tried prayer?

Perhaps he should also yell 'Jumanji' just in case?

Unless chanting "OH GOD!" counts then no. I guess I could be in purgatory or something now that I think about it. For what its worth shouting Jumanji just scared more birds from trees. I guess this is a fine time to establish what religion will be like in our new civilization. Who or what should I pray to? In what way?

Yes let’s do all of that too, cover our bases.

Edit: I feel like people are misreading the title as Realistic Survival Simulator 9000. If the premise is actually restarting civilization then uh the way we’re going it’s gonna take us real time decades to do that

For what its worth if we don't hit electricity in like...a couple weeks at this rate of forum usage my phone will just die then I'll probably die too. I might be able to extend it a bit longer if I only check up on you guys once a week or something but the point is if we don't hit the electricity age soon I'll probably die in the stone age.

Not to pressure or rush you or anything. Just reiterating that the priorities are not immediately dying ->somehow getting my phone recharged. I'm trying to not stress about it slowly going down like a health bar as I type this.

We could make a squirrel civilization!!

Out of squirrel ribs? I'm willing to try anything I guess.

The problem is people spoke out in opposition of my proposal, so my proposal wasn’t done. I literally can’t do it my way if the only time things go to a vote is when I try my way? I’m being forced to convince people to try something different, and that’s what I’m trying to do.

This isn’t a “oh nobody is doing what I want so I’m gonna bitch about it”, it’s “the rules seemed to change for me so I need to adjust how I go about what I’m doing accordingly”.

Don’t try to reduce what I’m saying to something it isn’t

I'm trying to do everything everyone tells me as long as it isn't mutually exclusive. Sometimes I mess up or skip some stuff or ask a question that never gets answered and end up missing a train of thought and I'm sorry if anyone feels left out. In this case "do this" and "explicitly don't do that" where contradicting answers so I just went with the majority. 
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2021, 12:29:27 am »

Shoes are a good idea before exploring. About eleectricity. Copper is conductive as are other metals, like calcium, lithium, silver, etc

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2021, 12:52:26 am »

I guess this is a fine time to establish what religion will be like in our new civilization. Who or what should I pray to? In what way?
A) Me
B) Dedicate your kills and other accomplishments to me, and try to focus on receiving the gift of prophecy so that you can hear my advice without your phone. Because...

For what its worth if we don't hit electricity in like...a couple weeks at this rate of forum usage my phone will just die then I'll probably die too. I might be able to extend it a bit longer if I only check up on you guys once a week or something but the point is if we don't hit the electricity age soon I'll probably die in the stone age.

Not to pressure or rush you or anything. Just reiterating that the priorities are not immediately dying ->somehow getting my phone recharged. I'm trying to not stress about it slowly going down like a health bar as I type this.
I'm not sure there's any realistic chance of you making a functioning USB connector in a couple of weeks, or even possibly a couple of years. What kind of charging connector does your phone have? First of all, is it an iPhone or an Android (or one of those also-rans), and is the port A) kind of a trapezoid, B) kind of a rounded rectangle, or C) something else totally weird?

I skipped the rest to get the answer to your prayers - heh - in as quickly as possible, so I'll circle back and check what else you said.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2021, 01:21:02 am »

Shoes are a good idea before exploring. About eleectricity. Copper is conductive as are other metals, like calcium, lithium, silver, etc

How should I make the shoes then? And wow that is a lot of stuff. Hopefully I can find at least one of those things I guess. Aside from the stuff already in my phone.

I guess this is a fine time to establish what religion will be like in our new civilization. Who or what should I pray to? In what way?
A) Me
B) Dedicate your kills and other accomplishments to me, and try to focus on receiving the gift of prophecy so that you can hear my advice without your phone. Because...

I'm not sure there's any realistic chance of you making a functioning USB connector in a couple of weeks, or even possibly a couple of years. What kind of charging connector does your phone have? First of all, is it an iPhone or an Android (or one of those also-rans), and is the port A) kind of a trapezoid, B) kind of a rounded rectangle, or C) something else totally weird?

I skipped the rest to get the answer to your prayers - heh - in as quickly as possible, so I'll circle back and check what else you said.

Is there any particular reason I need to use a USB connector? I figured I could rip it out and recharge the battery more directly or replace it with a water wheel or something. I didn’t expect that I could build an actual charger and plug it in or anything like that.

It’s an IPhone XR. Rectangle port. Charger is a weird thing with a couple of copper colored marks on each side. I remember being annoyed at the upgrade because my old headphones couldn’t plug into the new charger without an adapter.

And uh I’ll hold off on declaring you my lord and savior until I get more input on the theological front. Call it my doubting Thomas moment.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2021, 01:30:55 am »

How should I make the shoes then?
You don't as they aren't needed, people lived for thousands of years without them so that means you can live a few without them as well!

I figured I could rip it out and recharge the battery more directly or replace it with a water wheel or something.
That's not how this works, also you have an Iphone and would need special things to even get the battery out.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2021, 01:42:57 am »

Caught a bird! Its uh...really tiny. It tried to fly a way when I jumped at it and its wings got caught in the bird glue. I just kinda broke it with my hands. Brown with a white belly. I'm trying to collect its feathers as I'm plucking it but its starting to look tinier and tinier as I do. Butchering didn't go great. Everything is kinda squished. I think I found the heart and the liver but I don't really trust myself on the other bits right now. I'll start roasting it and eat what I can for dinner.
Yeah, birds are usually small and even the large ones are super fragile. It took centuries of breeding to make modern chickens. Look out for signs of large birds, though: grouse and turkeys are both plausible finds given the flora around where you are. Wild turkeys are quite large and pretty much unmistakeable; you might be able to take one down by main force if they lack fear of humans wherever you are. Grouse are smaller, but still a decent meal, and very noisy: if you hear something that sounds like some kind of angry feather-muffled drummer riffing wildly in the trees, it's probably a grouse trying to get some. This sound can be heard from a great distance, so there's a good chance you will hear it if they are around, but you may need to do some searching once you do. Both species are regularly found on the ground, so you should be able to spear them, and, while they're big enough that it'll be hard to pin them down with glue like you could a pigeon or something, the glue traps will still help make their escape more difficult.

Rope is done too. I've got a couple of several feet ropes that are still kinda amateurish but look better then my previous vine-work. Not sure what to do with them.
Try setting snares. To make a snare, tie a noose knot by making a loop in your rope - called a 'bight' - and then looping the rope from one side of the bight around the other side and pulling that same free end through the second loop from 'below' (ie, the side of the bight) to make a knot that will slip tighter when pulled on. See below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can then tie the other end of this rope to something and lay the bight on the ground, where animals may step in it and pull it closed on themselves. You wouldn't think this would work very well, but it's actually quite effective, because animals are stupid. So stupid.

Well it means I'm going to get really cold I guess. Is there any valuable resources in this area?
You're going to have a serious problem come winter. We need to work on that. That's the main reason I want you to be able to get skins. The area you might be in is too wide to say anything about specific resources but you've got a good chance of finding minerals, at least. There are also many edible fruits (and many inedible ones).

Actually, this lends itself to an interesting experiment. Look around and see if you see any relatively short broadleaf trees with grey bark, often with multiple trunks, with short (approximately thumb length) oval leaves with a point opposite the branch end and slightly serrated edges, and which, depending on the time of year, may have white to pink flowers that look a little like a rose, or may have round green to red fruit a couple of inches across. If you find this, you're looking at some kind of apple. There are crabapples native to the Americas, but the domestic apple was only introduced by European settlers, so if you should find one, we might narrow down your time period. To tell the difference I'd need you to describe what you see, though, and we might not be able to tell until we see flowers or fruit, so it's low priority.

Someone suggested making an oven, so probably that to start with. I do seem to have to use fire a lot.
Bricks are a lot of effort. The best way to make bricks in your situation is probably going to be to make what's called a clamp, a kind of primitive kiln. You'd have to make as many brick forms as you can, then take bundles of wood laid on the ground and stack the bricks around and over them into a kind of large brick pile. Insulate the pile by packing dirt and mud around the outside and most of the top, leaving space for airflow and to ignite the wood... then, well, ignite the wood with a torch. You will probably get uneven results at first, but you'll get better at it over time - it's all in how you build it. I'm not sure I have any good starting tips I can functionally convey with words, though, so you'll have to get the practice.

You can also make charcoal in a clamp, using a similar principle but with wood and making the mud covering more airtight to limit burning, and smelt small quantities of tin or copper if you're lucky enough to find any. I'll circle back to copper in a bit.

I just didn't know if heating it up then solidifying it made it not-sticky. I guess its something I'll have to make whenever I want to bird hunt instead of just making a bunch of and keeping in a jar or something.
It doesn't stop being sticky, at least until it hardens completely, or if it gets too dirty so that the stickiness is covered with dust or something. You should be able to keep it in a jar if you had one, but you'd need to reheat it to soften it before applying.

Careful. If you're not you guys will end up as the gods of this world. I'm not sure what to feel if my children start sacrificing goats to you.
I'm all for this. Well, I gave that away earlier. I did read this part first, though.

I was sleeping! People don't sleep with a pocketknife!
Well now you know better.

I could get it open but between my toolset and throttling as mentioned above it got messy. I can probably eat the important parts at least. Maybe next time I can kill it gentler and it'll be easier. Birds are a lot more delicate than I realized. I think I broke all of its bones between murdering it and trying to get it open with pointy sticks and rocks.
Birds are extremely delicate. In fact, their bones are hollow. It helps them fly. Don't worry, you'll improve with practice, probably. I mean you might be a total idiot, but in that case you're probably screwed, sorry. Let's stay optimistic.

Both worked out reasonably well, and I do indeed have pajama pockets. Someone else mentioned exploring and I'll ask the same thing I did earlier, should I try making some shoes first?
I have no idea how you're going to do this. Make sandals out of rocks? You can't even cut down a tree yet so I can't recommend wooden sandals. Definitely focus on breaking those rocks you hoped were chert, see if you can get something sharp enough to make an axe, I guess.

Is there any particular reason I need to use a USB connector?
No, and, like I said, you're not likely going to be able to, but if we know what the connector is, I'll know (well, I'll look up) what pin the power goes into, and we can connect a wire to it. Well, two pins, obviously, if you know how electricity works, but you get my point.
I figured I could rip it out and recharge the battery more directly or replace it with a water wheel or something.
Trying to directly power the device, such as with a water wheel - which we totally could build if you can get the right minerals - would probably fry it, unfortunately, since it's expecting a specific amount of voltage and current. If you can open the phone and find the battery without breaking it, and lord knows the manufacturers all make it difficult these days, we *might* be able to charge it without setting it on fire, and I'm willing to try that. I still need to know what the power input is expecting, though, so I need the connector type.
It’s an IPhone XR. Rectangle port. Charger is a weird thing with a couple of copper colored marks on each side. I remember being annoyed at the upgrade because my old headphones couldn’t plug into the new charger without an adapter.
Goddamnit, Apple. All right, that should be the Lightning connector, cord looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please confirm.

And uh I’ll hold off on declaring you my lord and savior until I get more input on the theological front. Call it my doubting Thomas moment.
Your loss man. And don't worry, I'm okay with you worshipping the other posters too. I am not a jealous god.

So, when you get to the point when you can explore for minerals, you're going to want to look out for blue or green rocks, very colourful ones. You might also see some orangey-gold metallic rocks. Any of those could be copper-bearing! Copper-bearing rocks are usually very colourful. Copper is easy to smelt, which is why the copper age is one of the early ones, so if you can find some you won't have problems. What MIGHT be a problem is that you will also need a magnetic mineral like lodestone. If you have anything iron on you, keep an eye out for anything that attracts it, I guess. Lodestone is a fairly dark grey stone that has a slight sheen that looks, to me, almost oily. It's going to be more rough and dully gleaming than shiny, in my experience. Of course you could find a perfect crystal face which would look different. Unfortunately, lodestone is somewhat rare, although it has been found in the continental US, so it's not impossible. Lodestone is almost always found on the surface, too (a theory goes that it is magnetized by lightning), so you don't need to dig for it or anything.

Hey, King Zultan, he should totally worship me, right? I'm sure you'll have my back on this.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2021, 02:00:40 am »

Hey, glad you haven't died yet.

In terms of electricity, I mean, you got running water.  Waterwheel and then a dam will be your eventual electricity source.

Long way to get there though.  Critically, you'll need to find some magnets if you want to generate an electric current.  Magnetic lodestone is relatively common.  Look for grey metallic rocks that have little bits of iron shavings stuck to them.

Again, it's a long term project, so you probably should prioritize some more survival oriented stuff.  But, yeah, magnets.  (How do they work?)

Speaking of fancy rocks, any luck finding malachite?  It's a spectacularly gorgeous mineral.

Spoiler: Bigass Mineral Pic (click to show/hide)

Exactly, can't miss it...

Even better, if you throw it into your camp fire, it'll turn the fire green.  Pretty neat party trick, eh?   But it gets better.  The rock will melt into puddles of pure copper.  (This exact process is how historians think every primitive culture accidentally discovered copper refining.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:19:35 am by ConscriptFive »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2021, 02:05:52 am »

Even better, if you throw it into your camp fire, it'll turn the fire green.  Pretty neat party trick, eh?   But it gets better.  The rock will melt into puddles of pure copper.  (This exact process is how historians think every primitive culture accidentally discovered copper refining.)
I can tell you haven't tried this! Unfortunately, campfires are just a little too cool (by a couple hundred degrees) to smelt malachite; it takes a kiln such as the one I've described. Furthermore, copper is often found in native form in nature, and historians agree that native copper was worked before copper was ever smelted. Tin, which can be smelted in a campfire, was definitely discovered first, and the smelting of other metals probably developed as people tried to apply the process to other rocks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2021, 02:21:07 am »

Hey, King Zultan, he should totally worship me, right? I'm sure you'll have my back on this.
Yes, you shall become the center of his new religion!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2021, 04:18:04 am »

As far as a religion goes as the only person you currently know of you are in a extremely unique position to make up pretty much any beliefs you want and pass it down to pretty much anyone you encounter (assuming your not alone and are in a prereligion time period) wanna have people 1000 years from now potentially worshipping the Minnesota Vikings? You can do that! Wanna revive a warped version of Hellinism based off your limited knowledge of the religion? You can do that! Possibilities are endless!

(Just dont think too hard about the historical ramifications and how many millions of people may eventually die/suffer in the name of/too your religion.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:21:07 am by Fluffe9911 »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2021, 10:19:00 am »

Yes, you shall become the center of his new religion!

So lemme get this straight, we're completely taking this guy at face value and this is neither a hallucination nor elaborate prank/fraud?

So we all agree that this one man in particular gets transported by mysterious means to the middle of nowhere with a phone that defies science.  And we're all staying edgelord atheist about this?  Obviously, there's a higher power here that transcends our human understanding, and it has taken a particular interest in this "Stirk" character.

Do we really want to taunt it by dabbling in novelty egoism?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:20:36 am by ConscriptFive »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2021, 10:44:05 am »

So lemme get this straight, we're completely taking this guy at face value and this is neither a hallucination nor elaborate prank/fraud?

So we all agree that this one man in particular gets transported by mysterious means to the middle of nowhere with a phone that defies science.  And we're all staying edgelord atheist about this?  Obviously, there's a higher power here that transcends our human understanding, and it has taken a particular interest in this "Stirk" character.

Do we really want to taunt it by dabbling in novelty egoism?
I think you have misunderstood.

The higher power transcending your human understanding has made its interest very clear. Do you really want to taunt it by refusing its simple request, viz., to go and kill gruesomely in its name?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2021, 12:17:05 pm »

I think you’re all not realizing something important.

The guy we’re helping that’s lost in the woods very well could be the deity here, and I think he should pray to himself, and thank himself when things happen, and say me damn it when things go wrong
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19