Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A pointless yet dwarf question.  (Read 1053 times)

njolma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A pointless yet dwarf question.
« on: August 06, 2021, 02:36:12 pm »

So my wife suggested I catch a whale put it in the tavern and let the dwarves enjoy the mist. My question is what do I have to change to make whales produce mist like them clearing their blow hole does irl?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: A pointless yet dwarf question.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 04:46:46 pm »

You'd want to add a undirected_gas material emission interaction that produces a gas that gives happy thoughts when inhaled. Don't make it a vapor or it will condense on their bodies causing them to go take a bath constantly. On the other hand, taking a bath does cause additional happy thoughts.

And of course, the whale will have to be on the same z-level and not behind a wall or in a cage for this to work, so it can't be in a pit of water. You'll have to make the whale [amphibious] so they don't suffocate, and then pasture them in the middle of the tavern.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 04:01:14 am »

And of course, the whale will have to be on the same z-level and not behind a wall or in a cage for this to work, so it can't be in a pit of water. You'll have to make the whale [amphibious] so they don't suffocate, and then pasture them in the middle of the tavern.

But wouldn't that mean that whales would naturally waddle onto shore then? Why do they need to be on the same Z level anyways, do material emissions not work like other clouds in the game?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 04:53:23 am »

But wouldn't that mean that whales would naturally waddle onto shore then?

They have beaching tokens so they'd get stuck, and even so will probably suicide-drive themselves to the shore in your pond without amphibious tokens, I wouldnt attempt to mechanically change the whale too much, maybe a [NO_BREATHE] would be enough to be sufficient without breaking them too much so they're more like a zombie whale minus desire to kill the living in how they play.

Glass aquariums can host [AMPHIBIOUS] creatures, keeping in mind that the said glass cage(terrarium/aquarium) has a bug that airdrowns full aquatics. It can't expel non-passive emissions from there though, but there are other ways to generate mist if you wanted to pour water in the area and blame it on the whale. Some alternatives may be to make them always excrete water from their skin? Though i dont know if this would starve off short-term beaching or air-drowning by artificially filling the aquarium up with more water or create other problems based on the size of a whale.
  • At worst theoretically, a whale beaching in a cold enviroment if it puts out a lot of water might freeze entirely solid into a block of ice if it puts out a lot of it all the time from its large cm3.

Sorry if this wasn't a very moddy kind of reply, its a tricky question because aquatic creatures dont have many practical modding solutions.