Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.08: The True Names of Things  (Read 63522 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Uhhh, Vanilla Expanded doesn't touch the language files. You sure it's not some other mod you meant to reference there?

Also good luck far as anything regarding graphics goes. I was gonna do some for ZM's critters but there's just so damn many.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile

-Hoping to drop an experimental release of 1.2.1 today, folks, so check here tonight!-
This release has been delayed because I've been using a new tool from voliol to do some minor but comprehensive rebalancing of creatures in biomes.

word list
derp, excuse me Splint, I meant to say that I know the expanded word list is from one of the first three mods integrated into HF, which I always get three three of them mixed up - Modest Mod, DF Revised, and Vanilla Spice Revised - because they all make tiny, overlapping edits to the raws.
Vanilla Expanded is of course something completely different which adds cool content, including more than what HF uses, and folks should be checking it out ;)

The Necromantic Order of Dideobsa
Their founder is a woman named Cust Zabanened
the god of Death Quest Domeguxuluceslo
the slate slab of Ngibedlemsostiggul
the Caliph of the half-angels, Lord Aku Bakoum
the elusive Chieftain Igonadapin
WOW! This is honestly one of the most interesting DF blood fued stories I've read yet. I was not expecting this twist! DF provides such fascinating interconnectivity of its world. The little details, such as the Feywreathed citizens being grateful to them! Man, those half-angels really have a vendetta against Cust. I'll be curious to see if Cust and/or Ngibedlemsostiggul end up playing further roles in your story. Also, man, Lord Aku is a vicious fellow.

I actually have a request for you VABritto (and anyone else who is telling such great stories).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 12:06:10 pm by kiiranaux »
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to get new Highfantasy creatures (Siren, etc) and concepts (Pyromancy, Focus, Gun, etc) into it, which is not that hard but something I'm not dedicating time to presently.

I am pretty busy most of the day, but if you want I can make up some words and send it to you in excel (or whatever format is better for you) that isn't in the files.

I'm also having a bit of trouble with legends because of how gigantic and strange (even by DF standards) some names get. The only up side is that most people in the world have unique first names after 125 years lol

Besides this, I have one feedback regarding the tileset: Although the '.' marks instead of the usual grass markers did "clean" the screen a lot, it also caused a bit of depth confusion because things that are a level under it are also marked with '.' So I have to keep going one level up and see what is in blue to properly distinguish depth. I personally think the trade-off isn't much worth it, but maybe that's just me.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Necromantic Order of Dideobsa
Their founder is a woman named Cust Zabanened
the god of Death Quest Domeguxuluceslo
the slate slab of Ngibedlemsostiggul
the Caliph of the half-angels, Lord Aku Bakoum
the elusive Chieftain Igonadapin

WOW! This is honestly one of the most interesting DF blood fued stories I've read yet. I was not expecting this twist! DF provides such fascinating interconnectivity of its world. The little details, such as the Feywreathed citizens being grateful to them! Man, those half-angels really have a vendetta against Cust. I'll be curious to see if Cust and/or Ngibedlemsostiggul end up playing further roles in your story. Also, man, Lord Aku is a vicious fellow.

Yeah, I found it pretty epic! Ngibedlemsostiggul was stolen from the half-angels afterwards and taken by a dark-gnome. To this day, the only Necromancer who learned the secrets of life and death through it was Cust, so it is pretty much her Order's slab. Neither the Angel nor the Dark-Gnome seemed to want to actually read from it. The feud between the half-angels and the necromancers is pretty brutal. They faught pretty valiantly for many years and actually conquered TWO settlements from the half-angels (which I found insanely cool), but alas, the tide turned eventually and after that, as you can see, there was a sacking of their tower almost yearly at times. And a lot of them always were taken into slavery or prison after that. Before Chieftain Igonadapin, every time the tower was sacked they captured their chieftain. They usually escaped later on, but by then they were no longer the civ leader. Only Chieftain Igonadapin managed to escape capture, seemingly without any reason to it. I like to imagine that he is simply elusive and smart enough to hide when needed. Cust became a crime boss in a random city, so I imagine her plotting to return to power and remove her apprentice from the chieftaincy. I might go to war with the half-angels to help them out one day, but we still need to prepare a proper military.

I actually have a request for you VABritto (and anyone else who is telling such great stories).

you have my permission to show my story to whoever you like, mate, no problem lol If it helps, you can post it on reddit ^^ I don't actually use reddit so I don't mind if you do it. I am finding Faywreath to be a pretty interesting settlement. It is so far the most different one I made so far. Also am happy that only two people died so far (and both because of problems from the first year). Not having dwarves with strange moods is actually one of the best part of the experience so far lol My people die because they were actually attacked or suffered something in which that makes sense (within DF limits of course lol). Not because I don't have shells in my fortress!

FiveBalesOfHay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This mod is very fun. I’ve been playing hobgoblins; my fortress is on the surface, protected by a river surrounding it on three sides. I recently had to deal with a were-elk problem, though, as it turns out werebeasts can walk across the floor of the river since they don’t need to breathe.

Also, my hobgoblins can’t seem to make staffs. I think this is because they can’t carve jewels? I’m not sure if this is a bug or intended. The new tileset is also irksome. I embarked in a desert, and the bright yellow ì is rather painful to stare at for too long.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FeyWreathed
Amazing, thank you! Give it some time haha.

My hobgoblins can't make staffs
Whoops, you're right, it's because the civ lacks encrustgem and cutgem. I'll fix that for the next release for all civs. In the meantime, you should be able to turn on those labors for an individual hobgoblin via the labors command. (link) I've used this before to let elves chop down an annoying tree....

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Kiiranaux, I noticed something that might be a bug, but a pretty minor one (also, forgive my memory. It happened a while ago so I don't really know for sure how accurate this is lol) : It seems that I can only make wooden slabs (or write on it, I don't remember) when masonry is enabled, even though it is made of wood. Again, sorry for the vagueness.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

changing the dots for grass '.'
Remember, this one is a config setting in d_init, [VARIED_GROUND_TILES, so you can change it back to YES at any time. It's not a real "feature" of HF, just a suggestion!

Making wooden slabs requires masonry
Interesting, I just checked the reaction from brolol's Human Fortress, which i think is where you'd be seeing it, and as far as I can tell it's working correctly. Can you give any more info on this? Spoilered here is the reaction as written, which correctly asks for carpentry:

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was when the settlement was in the first year, so I don't recall exactly. It might be that it can't be made or that it can't be engraved, without masonry. When I start a new fortress I'll try it again (because now I have so many people in mine that I can't really do it practically) and then I'll inform you where the problem actually lies. But that might take a while because I don't plan on changing fortress at least until I get the village in the valley and all the buildings I want to have there lol

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure thing, and I've been pleased that there's been no gigantic bug or missed feature forcing you to skip out on this world. You should definitely play it until it has exceeded its fun!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Have you confirmed that the "popular animal person" tag is working? Just that several of the worlds I've spawned haven't had hyena men, tiger men, elephant men, etc. available to play in adventure mode despite most of the worlds being large and climatically-diverse enough to support all of them.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Popular animal men
Oh, interesting! I actually know why that is now - it's because despite them being so common, they inherit the tag [LARGE_PREDATOR] meaning only one of them can spawn in a given GOOD biome, and there are few GOOD biomes per world.
This feedback is great evidence that it needs to be removed from both the popular squad and animalmen in general. For now, add this fix to CV:Popular before you generate your next world:

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And another year passed just like the last. I have noticed I have been writing the name Feywreath wrong for a long while. It isn`t Faywreath but Feywreath. So I changed it here lol

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if you want I can make up some words and send it to you in excel (or whatever format is better for you) that isn't in the files.
This could be very helpful! First, wait for me to generate a list of new words to be added to the language files, starting with the english language and symbol files. Then I/we can think about translating it. This will be the next big step (and not one that requires a HF update).

From the blueprint he showed me, the tower will have at its lowest area a library that will be open to the public and managed by the wizards. Right over that, they'll have their laboratory where they will be free to study magic as they see fit, as long as they do not put the Feywreathians in danger. Over that floor will be their individual rooms and on the top floor the Chief Wizard's quarters.
Continuing to love this story! I'm sure those magical reactions will be TOTALLY SAFE.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:14:07 pm by kiiranaux »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Version 1.3.00r, the Spawning Update and the Disguise Update, is live!

Anyone who loves their current 1.2.02 worlds is good to keep playing those. Almost all bugs addressed in 1.3.00 can be fixed via reaction changes already posted in this thread. Message me if you have concerns and happy playing!

This update balances the spawning of magical creatures throughout the mod, devoting significant thought to the question of "what makes a mundane biome?"
Where savage biomes are the realm of magically-empowered creatures, and good and evil biomes host their own distinct features, mundane biomes are places that look relatively close to the locales of our own world. However, each mundane biome hosts one variant of elemental creature (such as a Water Elemental), and one intelligent humanoid creature (such as a Centaur). Additionally, mundane biomes rarely (very rarely) spawn mundane creatures that are not dinosaurs but have, in our world, already gone extinct. Each of these challenges maintains the general feeling of the vanilla biome split while hinting at the many wild things to come if one ever ventures into the savage biomes. Savage and mundane biomes are different, but both are "fun!"

The update also adds a disguise system to many tricksome creatures in highfantasy.
Disguises build on the "information problem" already in place for diseased worgs and beak dogs and multi-caste creatures like dragons or lineages. A few brand new creatures are added, such as Mimics and Oozes, while other creatures have been better disguised.
Basically, if your units list shows something walking around that shouldn't be, check that description asap.
This is realistic - if you see a "boulder" or "tree" walking around, you're going to investigate posthaste!

In addition to the above major features, v1.3.00r introduces the following additions:
   -feral goblins to evil biomes as an analog to the wild goblins in savage biomes and failed hybrids in good biomes.
   -wild dragonfolk, psionic humans, and naga. They are adventure playable.
   -cave potatoes from Splint plant_cavern_shrubs_ex. Like other dwarf crops, made them poisonous to humans, forcing humes to at least farm aboveground.
   -grawl (heavily edited) and spice shrooms (mostly unchanged) from Erik Blank's subterranean extras.
   -a reaction that summons the cheese creatures (spellcrafts, getting into the really wierd stuff) to magic using civs and adventurers, effectively re-adding these creatures.
   -Animalmen are no longer Large Predators, meaning they don't spawn compete and "popular" animalmen actually spawn.
   -removed non-megabeast spawn conditions for a great many semi and megabeasts
   -studying dementia magic now has a 1% chance to outright kill the scholar (fort mode only)
   -bug fixes including the frostbite bug

"Slimes of Armok: God of Splorch" is another minimod which adds slimes and slime farming to Dwarf Fortress, based on (but not limited to a direct reproduction of) Stardew Valley and other video game sources, which fill unique design spaces (renewable resources, but not for iron). They are mostly vanilla and in their own files, creature_highfantasy_slime + material_template_slime + inorganic_highfantasy_slime + reaction_highfantasy_slime & item_tool_highfantasy (which is required by the base mod).

Full feature list:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:35:40 pm by kiiranaux »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19