Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19

Author Topic: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.08: The True Names of Things  (Read 63534 times)

Chbost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

decrease the power of the tail swipe
I think it is a very cool attack but targets it strike often "explode into gore", so this change is realy necessary :)

; increase the "recharge" time on the venom usage,and/or make it not paralyze (poison is enough for this civ);
The effects of naga poison appears to be substantial if multiple nagas are able to inject it into one target or if one naga makes multiple bite attacks, but if it is a single naga only 1 bite wont do to much (the combat is often over before the full effects of poison become apparent), so increasing the recharge time could be realy good when it comes to mass melees to avoid them biting all adjacent hostiles. I personally think the poison is realy cool and also the paralyze function.

increase the material use and decrease the power of the trident.
Sounds good :D

Another thing I noticed is that the Harpoons are realy strong aswell. This below is an example of the combat log (not a freak incident but this happends often if they hit a target)

03/10/2021 02:41:40.968: The flying {Ħbrass harpoonĦ} strikes the human swordsman in the lower body, bruising the muscle and bruising the right kidney through the ({bronze chain leggings})!
03/10/2021 02:41:40.991: The human swordsman is propelled away by the force of the blow!
03/10/2021 02:41:41.175: The human swordsman's lower body skids along the ground, but it is deflected by the human swordsman's ({goat leather cloak})!
03/10/2021 02:41:41.365: The human swordsman slams into an obstacle!

As the log shows being hit by a harpoon as a "normal sized" creature propelles the creature away. The airgun is realy strong in this sense. In my mind the airgun is perhaps smaller than how it is represented in the game, is it like a small sized ballista? It also appears to be difficult using them in squads due to the combined weight, as if I have Nagas with 1 airgun + 60 harpoons (normal ammunitionsize) they move very slow. 1 stack with 60 brass harpoons (normal produced amount) weigh 282 whilst a steel spring gun weighs 3.

Armour weighs are estimates, checked multiple crafted ones some are 1-3 weight units lower/higher these are the average numbers I had in my batch production:
One copper lamellar armour weighs 13 whilst a copper crude cuirass weighs 13, a copper crude full helmet 14

EDIT: Forgot to check other ammunition weights, could not make them out of brass but copper arrows have 2 weight,  copper bolts have 2 weight and copper javelins have 66 (all 60 stacked) and copper harpoons has 294. EDIT:

Even with only leather armour or no armour at all for my harpoon gunners they move slower than my heavy armored "Tyrants"

If it is intended to keep the harpoons "heavy"? 290/60=4.8 (since the harpoon is heavier than the armature that launches it) maybe it is possible to reduce the ammunitionsize? Since producing 60 harpoons only takes 1 bar possibly increasing the bar cost or reducing the ammunition size (possibly to 20 harpoons? (97weight)), since units equipped with 1 stack of harpoons moves as if they had full body heavy armour and sometimes end up being dehydrated as they are unable to move fast enough from and to my food/drink piles) (I have started placing multiple small prepared food/drink stockpiles to alleviate this xD)

Again sorry if i bombard this thread with my suggestions, I am just trying to report as much as possible before the next big update.

Thanks for the quick fix regarding spellshards! Cant wait to try them out :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 08:45:52 am by Chbost »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile

Harpoon gun and harpoon weight calculations
Thank you much Chbost, it looks like harpoon ammo is definitely overweighted, which would also explain why they are "blasting off" any regular-sized creatures they hit! Will tune that down. And yes I definitely want to get all this in before updating again, even though the next update has some cool things :)

By the way, the next update to high fantasy, following the "creature class update", is the "Disguise Update", make of that what you will...
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

I have a few guesses and all of them are extremely interesting. I'll keep my eyes on this thread for the new update.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Chbost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"creature class update", "Disguise Update"
Sounds very interesting indeed :)!

My shot in the dark :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I have been trying out as much of the spellcrafts as I can and I have noticed some funky behaviour, the following is a combat log during an ambush

04/10/2021 06:02:44.780: The spearnaga casts a spell!
04/10/2021 06:02:44.781: The spearnaga doesnt seem to need to breathe!
04/10/2021 06:02:44.782: The spearnaga casts a spell!
04/10/2021 06:02:44.783: The spearnaga can move with impunity!
04/10/2021 06:02:45.036: The spearnaga gestures!
04/10/2021 06:02:45.038: The recruit is no longer hungry!
04/10/2021 06:02:45.039: The spearnaga is no longer hungry!
04/10/2021 06:02:45.164: Etexostra Tezspumulsmke, Spearnaga: Hasss the tide turned?  I laugh in the face of death!
04/10/2021 06:02:46.498: The spearnaga casts a spell!
04/10/2021 06:02:46.499: The spirit wisp is revived in spirit!
04/10/2021 06:02:46.561: The spirit wisp is completely paralyzed!
04/10/2021 06:02:47.200: The spearnaga stabs the spirit wisp in the core with his Ħsteel tridentĦ and the injured part is cloven asunder!
04/10/2021 06:02:47.202: The spirit wisp is propelled away by the force of the blow!
04/10/2021 06:02:47.454: The spirit wisp's orb skids along the ground!
04/10/2021 06:02:47.580: The spearnaga stands up.
04/10/2021 06:02:47.770: The spirit wisp slams into an obstacle!

So the Spearnaga (whom I used alot in the temple/altar I assume he knows some of the Medipeshos (or however it is *spelled* (the pun was real)) he has a bunch of powers he can also reanimate these spirit orbs, sometimes they are friendly and just float around, but in this instance it became hostile. checking the dead/missing logs

See picture:

(First time uploading a picture here might not work :S.

It appears that he reanimated first one of the wardogs named Buquoh which turned hostile then he reanimated a human "Orshalash Azsaboronli" Axeman which also turned hostile and was quickly dispatched. I guess it works kinda like intelligent undead? That if they reanimate hostile creatures they remain hostile? Is this intended or are they supposed to switch allegiance?

Another thing is that the humans do not send sieges but send abnormaly large ambushes like 150+ invaders ambushing the fort. Are humans a ambush civ? Or should they be more like the Orcs (they have never ambushed me only outright sieges)?

Anyway will continue to explore as much as I can with the spellstuffs :D I soon have enough magestaffs and spellshards to replace all harpooners so kinda excited to see what effects one will get with 20+nagas with magestaffs xD

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:19:41 am by Chbost »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It appears that he reanimated first one of the wardogs named Buquoh which turned hostile then he reanimated a human "Orshalash Azsaboronli" Axeman which also turned hostile and was quickly dispatched. I guess it works kinda like intelligent undead? That if they reanimate hostile creatures they remain hostile? Is this intended or are they supposed to switch allegiance?

Another thing is that the humans do not send sieges but send abnormaly large ambushes like 150+ invaders ambushing the fort. Are humans a ambush civ? Or should they be more like the Orcs (they have never ambushed me only outright sieges)?

Anyway will continue to explore as much as I can with the spellstuffs :D I soon have enough magestaffs and spellshards to replace all harpooners so kinda excited to see what effects one will get with 20+nagas with magestaffs xD

Good feedback - I'm going to look into each of the parts of this.
(By the way, where are you seeing the word "Medisophos? I thought I had changed them all to divine relatively recently? :) )
There is a Divine spell that re-animates but I havn't looked at it in depth. Unclear if it is supposed to make friendly or not; will report back! Just like when someone talked about the demon summon earlier, these reanimates are supposed to have "MAKE PET IF ABLE." I'll verify.

My shot in the dark
Incorrect! :p Although you are correct in that the base elements of the new threat are already present in HF in current limited cases...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 06:29:16 pm by kiiranaux »

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think these come from Sver's Combat Reworked. He calls them "tactical" civs and is an optional install with that mod. I'm not sure what combination of entity tokens creates the effect.

It's definitely an interesting challenge. I reworked my retracting bridge trap design to allow it to catch invisible enemies. Instead of hooking the whole bridge to a lever or levers, I only retract a part of the bridge at a time, controlled by a minecart hitting pressure plates. It's set up so that no matter what part of its "cycle" it's on, there is still a path across the bridge, so invisible enemies march right across and get dropped into whatever waits for them below.

While the challenge is interesting, it seems like it might be too hard for beginning players. If you're not planning to create optional difficulty levels, it might be better to remove.

Chbost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Medisophos

"interaction_spellcrafts_sch_a" they are labelled MEDISEPHOS

Below are examples of what some of the raw interactions names are
[INTERACTION:SPELL_MEDISEPHOS_RECUPERATION_SHORT]
[INTERACTION:SPELL_MEDISEPHOS_RECUPERATION_LONG]

I believed it was a medisephos spell but now after looking closely it was probably that the Spearnaga probably had received this powergroup:
[INORGANIC:SPELL_DIVINE_MAGIC_POWERS_PROTECTIVE]

I also did some reactions in the wizard studio, and it was from here I thought it was the medisephos school.

in reaction_spellcrafts_fort

[REACTION:SPELL_LEARN_MAGIC_MEDISEPHOS_FORT]
   [NAME:Study Simple Miracles]
   [BUILDING:SPELL_MAGIC_STUDY:e]
   [REAGENT:Grimoire:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOOK_MAGIC:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [REAGENT:Divine Focus:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_AMULET_MEDISEPHOS:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [REAGENT:Aether Salt:1:STONE:NONE:INORGANIC:AETHER_SALT]
   [PRODUCT:10:1:STONE:NONE:INORGANIC:AETHER_RESIDUE]
   [PRODUCT:10:1:STONE:NONE:INORGANIC:AETHER_SALT]
-SI-   [PRODUCT:3:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_KINEROCH:KINEROCH_LIGHTNINGBOLT]
-SI-   [PRODUCT:3:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_KINEROCH:KINEROCH_LIGHTNING_PROTECTION]
-SI-   [PRODUCT:7:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_GENERIC:GENERIC_RECUPERATION]
-SI-   [PRODUCT:7:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_GENERIC:GENERIC_FITNESS]
   [PRODUCT:5:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_RECUPERATE]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_REFORM]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_SHIELD]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_EMPOWERMENT]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_RELIEF]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_EXTENSION]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_CLOTTING]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_EVILPROTECT]
   [PRODUCT:3:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_HOLYSPIKE]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_SUBDUE]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_ZOMBIE]
   [PRODUCT:4:1:FISH:NONE:SPELL_ESSENCE_MEDISEPHOS:MEDISEPHOS_COMMUNE]
   [PRODUCT:1:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SPELL_LEARNTHREAT_SICKNESS]
   [PRODUCT:1:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SPELL_LEARNTHREAT_MANIA]
   [PRODUCT:1:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SPELL_LEARNTHREAT_LUCK_CURSE]
   [SKILL:ALCHEMY]
   [CATEGORY:EB_SPELLCRAFTSFORT_LEARN_MEDISEPHOS_FORT]
   [CATEGORY_NAME:Spellcrafts - Divine School]
   [CATEGORY_DESCRIPTION:Learn essentials of divine magic.]

Since the goldbar reaction gave me 150 divine focuses I decided to test this out and it was from these spells I believed he did his thing

Also when i started looking for divine/medisephos i found this in item_spellcrafts_tools

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_AMULET_MEDISEPHOS]
[NAME:focus:foci]-SI-(amulet of medisephos:amulets of medisephos)

I actually have no idea where he got the resurrect wisp thing from.

I decided to make a backup and view the legends file to find out if it could be seen what he had for stuff.

As show above he has the protection only, but that would not make him able to summon wisps? And I am 100% that this is the same naga that is doing this wisp magic. Could it be that legends views Divine protection as a secret? Whilst the other is not being listed? If it becomes necessary I could just go into adventuremode on this find the naga and forcecontrol him to view exactly what he can do, but this is  something of a last resort on my end.

I also found a few other nagas with the protection and one incidently with the medisephos one

So this picture above shows that the medisopos interaction/stuff is still available using the wizards studio reaction.

Anyway always fun to see the reactions working out and these nagas with the divine protection became some real beasts in combat :D

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Medisophos"
My question was if these titles were visible ingame, and all the things you referenced are meta / in-code, so we're good!

Tactical Civs
The tactical civs are not included in HF (much of Sver's CR is removed), however, I think I ended up re-creating the effect unintentionally in 1.0.X. I'll relook at this and tone it down.

DIVINE_PROTECTION
Okay so this was great feedback; what it made me realize is that there are still divine spells that can be learned by praying at the holy altar, which is not intended behavior. I'll rip 'em out for the next version, and split them between the Divine wizard school and the Divine secret (chanelers? already forgot what I called it). Thank you!

Will respond to more later!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 06:56:20 pm by kiiranaux »

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another year passed! I had to retroactively change the year because I got the regnal year wrong by a year lol

« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 05:17:16 pm by VABritto »

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could it be that legends views Divine protection as a secret?

If it's a secret, and you have DFHack, you should be able to find out by typing "show-unit-syndromes selected" in the DFHack prompt with the unit selected.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have bought a grimoire that came from merchants. What do I do with it? (Fortress mode here)

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got a grimoire

Good work! Build a wizard's study, create some aether salt (there are many ways to do so), then start doing the reaction "study magic in general" until you get an aether focus. Then "study aether magic" until you earn some kickass spells, which your wizard will likely consume and learn!

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice! So I can basically train wizards? Can I define specific dwarves for these tasks? Where are they in the job preference list? I want to allocate only my Necromancers to study magic.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Question about the planned tileset for Premium: are you planning on something that will integrate smoothly with the new (well, not so new by this point but you know what I mean) vanilla tileset? Or will it be a different tileset entirely?

Also, is it important to the functionality of the mod that I keep the entire expanded word list intact? I'm really starting to notice just how much more impenetrable names like "Oru Father-in-lawtriumphed" make legends mode, which could be difficult enough to parse in vanilla.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 10:48:31 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-Hoping to drop an experimental release of 1.2.1 today, folks, so check here tonight!-
This release has been delayed because I've been using a new tool from voliol to do some minor but comprehensive rebalancing of creatures in biomes.

Nice! So I can basically train wizards? Can I define specific dwarves for these tasks? Where are they in the job preference list? I want to allocate only my Necromancers to study magic.
Great question, answer is yes. You do it using stockpiles, military, and burrows.

Premium tileset
Absolutely the former - ie, matching the vanilla tileset. Luckily, a lot of highfantasy sprites can be done via palette swap of vanilla, especially thanks to the disguise sytem, and I intend to abuse that heavily.
It will go something like this:

Expanded words
The expanded words list is tough to remove once it has been put in, and I'm not sure why - probably because some vanilla files were overridden. You are more than welcome to try, though, just make sure there aren't legends mode anomolies after you do it. Also, you may have to re-define the "obscene words" wordlist since that is "called" by every entiry. It's potentially a lot of work, a little harder than just dropping back in the vanilla files.
Hypothetically this will become an almost non-issue with the premium release's ability to click through legends mode better.
By the way, my other to-do for the premium release, besides the obvious graphics, is to further expand the word list (and possibly remove from the -edit- other mod's -/edit- word list that you're referencing). I want to get new Highfantasy creatures (Siren, etc) and concepts (Pyromancy, Focus, Gun, etc) into it, which is not that hard but something I'm not dedicating time to presently.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 12:05:44 pm by kiiranaux »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19