Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.08: The True Names of Things  (Read 63518 times)

FiveBalesOfHay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this mod supposed to use a tileset? Because the tiles are all weird.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Not as far as I know, I noticed some of the tiles were different as well but I think that's just by design.

Come to think of it, why did you change so many of the tiles kiira? I'm quite curious now that it's been brought up.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 11:39:52 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile

Just became the first patreon backer

Thank you so much! I noticed, and it's really appreciated. As I said I'm just gonna save that for coffees for when it's time to do the premium / graphics update :)

Sometimes the reaction spawns 150 items from the "spawn list"
Looking into this, that's curious. Will report back if I find an obvious solution.

Changed tile sets / using a tile set
HF is not supposed to use a tile set, per say. This change comes from Modest or Revised or Vanilla Spice, one of the three foundational vanilla expanding mods that were the first three I installed into HF. It causes a bunch of issues with lazy newb pack, too... it's on my list to go through and undo, however, I'm not going to worry about it until premium is here and it's time to add new sprite hooks for every creature/plant/etc. Not going to be a fun time.
Folks who are describing issues, that's when using other tile sets or something, right? I don't think these are present when just using a fresh bay12 install, but I'm all ears if that's incorrect...
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

I mean I've never used a tileset but some of the tiles are still off for me, not that it's a huge deal (just a few little things like ground vegetation being represented by the "." vermin tile or soil tiles being represented by "Ä"). Overall it's just something I got used to, I won't lose sleep if you want to prioritize the more pressing bugs like the ongoing frostbite problem.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 04:47:53 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the ground vegetation is a config setting found in DINIT or INIT. You can change it any time! I use it to reduce visual clutter.
The soil changes are what i'm referencing, that one of the baseline mods changes for some reason, which I need to double check why.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Also another potential bug (sorry don't mean to overwhelm you with bug reports haha): are night troll lairs supposed to be devoid of the vanilla details like cauldrons, meat cleavers, piles of prepared humanoid flesh, etc? I always found those little details to be quite immersive and creepy in the best kind of way in vanilla DF, yet the one I visited in adventure mode recently was completely bare like an animal's den. Granted, I suspect that particular lair was abandoned since the night troll never showed up either, I'd just like to know whether I can expect the same to be the case for any other night troll lairs I might encounter.

I've noticed a similar case for the CAVE_SIMPLE civs, which no longer appear to be littered with all the traps and elaborate passages and such that kobolds like to use in vanilla. Is this, as I've pondered, a deliberate quality-of-life alteration now that those civs are actually playable?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 07:12:56 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Possible bug report: The merchants got to the trade depot. But after that left randomly without any explanation. I don't know if it was because I have lions guarding the entrance and they got scared. But I just found it strange lol

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Possible bug report: The merchants got to the trade depot. But after that left randomly without any explanation. I don't know if it was because I have lions guarding the entrance and they got scared. But I just found it strange lol

Check for wagon wood, something probably spooked one of the merchants or attacked a draft animal, causing the wagon to scuttle. Alternatively, they may have been carrying something that boiled at a high enough temperature to damage and scuttle the wagon, so check for any out-of-place residue. My money is only keas or other thieving animals or the boiling-stuff theory.

So the ground vegetation is a config setting found in DINIT or INIT. You can change it any time! I use it to reduce visual clutter.
The soil changes are what i'm referencing, that one of the baseline mods changes for some reason, which I need to double check why.

Also man, I wish I had this level of engagement with my stuff, seems you've done well kiiranaux  :P And if it has anything to do with any minerals from my mod, let me know so I can fix it. I tend to just ignore non-serious errors like that and nobody has said anything in SVE's thread about it.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also another potential bug
No worries, I love this stuff, always happy to keep polishing the play experience!

night troll lairs
Vanilla night troll lairs should absolutely still have the creepy details, I bet the one you found was abandoned. Now, there are new non-generated night trolls in highfantasy - lamia and succubi, plus maybe some from spellcrafts? - and they have some but not all the characteristics of generated night trolls. Actually you might have found a LAIR that didn't belong to a NIGHT TROLL but just to a LAIR-making creature. For example, a harpy or a rodent man.

cave simple civs
With current vanilla limitations you can't be a CAVE_SIMPLE civs AND let them be playable (which sucks!), so kobolds and gnomes are now FORT_SIMPLE civs. Halflings and lizard men are still CAVE_SIMPLE, so they still have the cool traps and passages, as far as I've seen! Every kobold camp mod i've ever seen starts by making them not CAVE_SIMPLE, because you have to  :(

merchants
Could be vanilla, we'll keep an ear out for the different possible explanations. If anything is spontaneously combusting, definitely call that out for a fix.

Level of engagement
Splint I'm so greatful for your work! I would have never had the time to put all these little things together, but for the past two years, I've been keeping track of things I liked, and with everyone's work I have more time to smooth and balance everything.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:14:02 pm by kiiranaux »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Mine was definitely procgen, the lord I took the quest from identified it as a "night creature", but you're right it was probably abandoned and that lord was just a bit behind the times.

The strangest thing in regards to the cave civs is that in the original version of the mod the first adventurer I played was a halfling and they started out in a cave that looked the way it should, so I suspect it's a bug specific to newer versions of the mod.

Worth noting though that I've only played two or three halflings/lizal starting from their native civ in the current version, so I'll keep playing to see whether or not it was just a quirk specific to a particular worldgen or something.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:14:24 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, see, not a bug, rather, I didn't make it extremely clear that halflings and lizardmen are actually /not/ fortress playable. So if you started as a halfling/lizal, you should see the "cave that looks the way it should"- in this version or any previous. If you started as a kobold/gnome, the cave will look empty, in this version or any previous!

But are you saying in the current version you start as a halfling or lizal and the cave is still boring? That would be a problem!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:40:16 pm by kiiranaux »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Yeah the latter is what I'm saying, though this wasn't the case in the first version of Highfantasy when I played it.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Ok feel free to disregard all complaints related to cave civs, it appears it was just a crappy worldgen because in my latest world halfling/lizal settlements are generating as they should. Sorry for the mistaken bug report.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:19:45 am by PlumpHelmetMan »

Chbost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello again!

I decided to do some experiments with things I thought might be weird or potential bugs before reporting them, I tested them with my world with DF-Hack and also in a fresh new install of DF with only HF (no tilesets no dfhack no nothing).

In the new install bayonets are still not working for me and it also available to be crafted with pretty much anything from Abominable fog to Yellow diamond (just thought I would double check, still not a major issue I can still use your fix thanks btw :) )
I have noticed a new bug with the spellcrafts, so when I craft Spellcharges in the wizards studio, I believe they do spawn but they evaporate almost immediatly, clouding the room in a burst of aetherium which incidently starts decaying all flamable items, for example the table (if it is made out of wood) thus dismantling the workshop due to its components being "burned up" (wooden table can be seen deteriorating until it dissasembles the workshop) and also the grimoire if it is close by, my grimoire was also made out of aether salts, I dont know if this is supposed to be if it is taking the correct resource and assigning its name.

Crafting other items (so far as I have checked do work) for example the wizards staff (the one which the spellshards are ammunition for) crafts without incident. Again I am 100% sure that the items are not being moved anywhere and that it is not a compatability issue due to me testing this with base DF 47.05.

Also tested the Holy Altar again this time using a flesh sacrifice, it spawns the correct items I think: using 5 slave meat gave me 3 marble.
The goldbar sacrifice still gives 150 items.

This was all tested in fortress mode with the Naga Civ in a fresh install.

Hope this will help alittle with narrowing down some bugs. :)

On Another non-bug note maybe more a balancing factor?, the Nagas are insanely strong in combat, I have had non-trained nagas using copper crude armour take out alot of invaders, from orcs to humans to sahuagians, I had 1 naga whom killed 20+ sahuagins all by himself, he charged the sauhgins knocked them down, bit them making them paralyzed and stunned, (naga venom) he then shaked them around (sauhigins are bigger? so he should not have been able to do that?). Their swipe attack also almost always (tail swipe) knocks away hostiles very far, making it a very strong attack. Naga tridents also only cost 1 bar to make, and they are very lethal, making them out of steel they are able to punch through pretty much everything.

Also Nagas tend to still use their tail to grasp weapons? So sometimes they use their arms, but if they have been wounded they resort to using their tail to wield one hand items (it does not say strapped to tail), also multigrasp items appear to be used with their tail, for example I had a swordsnaga using a two-handed sword equipped at the tailslot. (I am using the latest HF version, Ive read somewhere about a fingers on tail bug before, they appear to be still able to hold items with their tail (maybe it is meant to be, I personally think its kinda cool)).

I know they are a "superbad" and maybe they are supposed to be very strong since you write that they are very good at fighting and such, just thought I would mention it if it is something you would want to know. Maybe they are just realy strong, but the trident price might need to be upped abit since cranking out steel tridents for all civ members is very viable due to multiple aquitects workshops, and could probably be made to be in line with the costs of other weapons such as a large dagger taking 6 bars to make.

Thanks again for such a cool mod :)!

EDIT: I tried spellshards with a table made of stone in the wizards workstation, the table does not melt now and the workshop stays intact yet burst of aetherium still happens and no spellshard item is available (still goes poof).
On one fun note due to the lack of clothes I have begun raiding and waging alot of war on the civilized population and receiving many human invaders "Begun the sock-wars has"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:47:58 am by Chbost »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cave civ issues resolved
Thank you Plump, very glad to hear this!

Spellcharges evaporate almost immediately, clouding the room in a burst of aetherium which incidently starts decaying all flamable
OH MY GOSH haha, okay, this is a major one! It must be because of the material they are made of which must sublimate at room temperature. I'll adjust to a more STABLE version of aetherium. Please make the following reaction code changes on the fly:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

150 items at the altar
This is clearly not a fluke but it's got me stumped. Will do additional testing and report back.

Naga balance issues
This is all really great feedback. For the next version, I will: decrease the power of the tail swipe; increase the "recharge" time on the venom usage, and/or make it not paralyze (poison is enough for this civ); increase the material use and decrease the power of the trident.
Grasping with the tails is intended, and was preserved intentionally when getting rid of the spooky tail fingers bug.

General bug and balance notes
With the frostbite bug most likely squashed (in the coming version), the remaining major bug is the overcharged difficulty of killing necromancer-summoned zombies. I still think it's due to the combat rework, but with so many systems interacting to create this "feature" I don't have a clear fix yet. But just letting everyone know that's still on the list. Bug progress can be tracked at any time by looking at "Polish and Bug "To-do List"" on the OP post #2.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 12:28:43 pm by kiiranaux »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19