Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin bone crafts?  (Read 2574 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Goblin bone crafts?
« on: August 03, 2021, 12:54:51 pm »

Having previously thrown a number of Goblin captives off the top of my fortress, I noted there appear to be several stacks of [Goblin's name] bones in one of my refuse piles. However, when I specify goblin bone crafts to be made at the Craftsdwarf's workshop, it comes up with an error reading '[Dwarf] cancels Make goblin bone crafts: Needs unrotten body parts' despite the bones being unforbidden and accessible.

Is there any way around this, or should I just toss the lot of them in the magma moat?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin bone crafts?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 12:57:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure dwarves can't make crafts from the parts of sapient beings unless they're in a fell mood, maybe modding their ethics so that sapient trophies are acceptable would do the trick?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 03:52:28 pm »

Changing Dwarves' ethics might work, but I wouldn't count on it. It may well be unimplemented and/or broken.

I believe there may be a way to clear the sapient flag from their bones by first raising their corpses as undead before finally dismembering them. I think I remember seeing my dwarves use undead sapient bones in the past, but those were zombies which came as part of a necromancer siege. I don't know if it will work for goblins who enter the map as normal living sapients.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 03:05:29 pm »

Toady fudged the ethics code, those bones would still be useless (extends to all other anatomical parts, ei see fur below)

A more straightforward explanation is that you can play hot-potato with the dead_dwarf=true/false boolean in dfhack gui-editor to move creatures between the corpse & refuse stockpile, anything that fits the corpse stockpile (including taking troll fur there, along with the troll and any other split off body parts and limbs) for citizen is off limits, while switching it the other way will make it move to the refuse pile.
  • It is possible to slaughter a semi-intelligent 'illegally' by forcing a slaughtering job, yielding unusable quantities of materials. Turning dead_dwarf=true off is a lot easier on a intact corpse rather than interacting with 20+ some odd bodyparts and teeth being knocked out etc.
If you had much intent on using them, you'd need to run a dfhack script that presides over automatically setting the dead_dwarf=true flag to false as a boolean, which the recommended script does on point of death. Soon as that goblin hits the ground and goes splat, straight into the refuse pile and any connected/nearby butchery shops, same for pet animals, which are normally given civilian burials.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 12:15:24 pm »

I don't remember if ethics play a role or not.

There is a DFHack script available, that allows butchering of sapients, and automatically sets the "dead_dwarf" flag appropriately. I use the script myself, for my drow fortress.

The civics of my drows allows for butchering sapients, I am unsure if the dwarf ethics would allow it, even when running the script.

This is the script: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 12:38:11 pm »

~snip~

This is the script: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

Yeah that's the exact script im thinking of and describing, its very well done.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 11:52:00 am »

Body parts of sapients ceased to be usable for crafting when the corpse stockpile changed from being dwarf only to be used for all sapients (0.42?). As mentioned, zombiefied sapients end up as refuse and thus are brought to the refuse stockpile (and there's a bug where you can't bury killed, revived, and rekilled citizens because they'll immediately be removed from their coffins). "Naturally" butchered body parts of zombiefied sapients can thus be used for crafting (severed limbs decay into piles of bones, trolls produce tusks, etc.).
It can also be noted that you can have your refuse stockpile next to the trade depot and have it filled with remains of zombiefied sapients without the traders batting an eye.

I believe fell mode remains unchanged, but I've never seen one.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 05:51:35 pm »

I believe fell mode remains unchanged, but I've never seen one.

I applaud your excellent treatment of your dwarves!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!