Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 9725 times)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Distant Worlds 2
« on: July 30, 2021, 04:47:22 am »

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1531540/Distant_Worlds_2/

For anyone who didnt know it yet, Distant Worlds 2 already got a steam page since quite a while (no release date yet).

The first Dev Diary came out recently and they plan to post one around every two weeks from now on.

So i thought its time to open up a topic for this game, as it does look pretty promising so far. (the new UI will be a blessing already)
If this one will turn out as good as the first game was with the "living universe" feeling, it probably has a pretty good chance be liked by a lot of people.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds 2
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 07:37:09 am »

Oh, so going to keep an eye on this. Love Distant Worlds Universe, and if a sequel can make it better that's about all I could ask.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:12:15 am »

Stellaris, but just better in many aspects.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 06:54:43 pm »

I don't understand the hype for the series. There's a lot of moving parts, but most of it is essentially cosmetic as there's very little meaningful interaction. All the parts that actually do something are extremely simple and basic. It's one of the most shallow 4X games I've played.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 06:46:34 pm »

I don't understand the hype for the series. There's a lot of moving parts, but most of it is essentially cosmetic as there's very little meaningful interaction. All the parts that actually do something are extremely simple and basic. It's one of the most shallow 4X games I've played.
If you found it that shallow, why are you here?

The game has a very complex simulation going on under the hood, I wouldn't call it shallow. It's far more nuanced than many other titles held up as gold standards for the genre

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 10:18:22 pm »

I mean, from what I remember of playing it, it is fairly shallow as a 4X, specifically?

... it just also isn't only a 4X, it's a pretty deep simulation game using 4X elements as an interactive layer, which is, like. Fine? That's okay. More than okay, it's one of the best in the industry at what it's specifically doing. Having a problem with that is like kvetching about the city building in the Dominions series or somethin' :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 01:03:27 pm »

I'm looking forward to seeing a YouTuber play this game.  When I saw them playing Distant Worlds, and all the mods that could come with it, I happy dished out the money to play the game.  The amount of information, choices, and the gameplay is amazing.  Heck, you can play just one ship and let the rest of your civilization run itself!  So many ways to play the game.  And that's not even including the mods. 

I can't wait to see how flexible Distant Worlds 2 will be!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 12:37:26 pm »

Distant Worlds had a good amount of flavor for what it was, AND it had some very fun mechanics. Very few other games (other than like RTW which is a sim) allow you to create long range cruisers explicitly for cruising for prizes and raiding enemy fuel facilities (just as an example)... fun times. There was a lot under the hood that meant not every conflict was just giant imperial fleet vs giant imperial fleet.

EDIT: and as others have pointed out, the fact that it felt like the universe was alive and not just an artificial scramble to cannibalize each other was great. Honestly 4X games are getting very well-crafted and complex, what is really missing is the context and the story and the flavor for your actions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 12:41:19 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 04:19:55 pm »

and as others have pointed out, the fact that it felt like the universe was alive and not just an artificial scramble to cannibalize each other was great. Honestly 4X games are getting very well-crafted and complex, what is really missing is the context and the story and the flavor for your actions.

I had completely opposite experience. The game feels less alive than any other similar game I've played because the different parts don't have any meaningful interactions with each other.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 10:15:20 am »

Personally I loved the 1st one. Being able to automate or take control of every aspect was a blessing, especially when first starting out.
First time I played I focused on research and expansion targets while letting the AI design the ships.

Having small fleets roam about protecting the fringe mining colonies and shipping lanes from pirates was a great feeling. Then finding those giant boneyards and trying to get the resources/ships together to go and salvage them before another empire could claim them. Much fun :)

Hope the 2nd one ends up just as entertaining and alive.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 02:56:39 pm »

I had completely opposite experience. The game feels less alive than any other similar game I've played because the different parts don't have any meaningful interactions with each other.
Bizarre take. Can I ask what other games you've played? I can think of Stellaris and Aurora 4X as being the only ones that have a galaxy that feels more "alive" and mechanics that have meaningful interactions with them (and Stellaris is questionable, though maybe I've just played so much of it by this point I can't help but see the flaws, and Aurora's entire fun is figuring out the systems while the core game is borderline unplayable). Out of the maybe ~70 4X space games I've played, the overwhelming majority don't even attempt to stray far from the MoO2 mold, which is just boring as hell. If you're lucky, a given 4X game might try to innovate with one or two mechanics. Maybe. Distant Worlds, while obviously lacking the complexity of something like Aurora, has an actual logistics/supply system complete with fuel tankers, it has a distinction between FTL and sub-light travel and a distinction between military engines and commercial engines, freighters that actually, you know, deliver resources, space yachts that take tourists around, etc. What other 4X game has these things (seriously, let me know, I want to play it)? I'm not suggesting Distant Worlds is perfect by any means, but it makes an effort to actually simulate interesting things, while practically the entire rest of the genre is more interested in being a fancy board game with pretty graphics.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 03:18:37 pm »

the different parts don't have any meaningful interactions with each other.

I'm curious about that. What parts are you seeing that don't interact?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 05:48:00 pm »

Dev Diary #2 is out:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1531540/view/2993190845846585210

A trailer for one of the races, a bunch of info about the "story" of the game (nothing too new for people who know DW1), and a few neat screenshots.

It seems there will be more "story" in this game than in the first one: a main story and each race has their own story and info bits of the ancients. I am guessing it will be similar to the Endless Space or Endless Legends storylines where each race has their own story chain.
And it seems there will be events with choices too, i guess similar to all the event/story popups in Stellaris.

Watching the trailer, i am curious how the ship designer will work with the 3d models, as it seems the ships do have turrets on the hulls... i wonder if they add/remove turrets from the model depending on how many weapons you add to the design. (i liked how "Swords of the Stars" had turrets visible and shooting in battle. or if the turrets are maybe locked to the design... i.e. a human frigate has max 6 turrets and if you add more weapons they shoot quicker or more projectiles or so. i do hope it will be a bit "better" now with the 3d models than the DW1 "all projectiles come from the center of the ship" thing)

Or how adding hangars will work... will each ship model have different designs with and without hangars visible? I am guessing the ships visible in the trailer are probably troop transports launching shuttles to the planet? (would fit with the theme of the race) But who knows maybe they are freighters launching shuttles to transfer recources to the planet? (like how little shuttles load big freighters in X4)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 01:23:49 am »

If you found it that shallow, why are you here?

The game has a very complex simulation going on under the hood, I wouldn't call it shallow. It's far more nuanced than many other titles held up as gold standards for the genre

The problem is that the "very complex simulation" is shallow. Which sounds like a contradiction, but it's not.

What I mean is, let's say for example you build some giant complex rube goldberg machine with a thousand moving parts, but all it takes is one button to activate it... that's shallow, you know? The moving parts don't matter if you can't meaningfully interact with them.

So take distant worlds, and it's like... how does population and tax and stuff interact? I have no idea exactly, it's complex. But it does not matter, because the only real option is 0% tax (or as close to 0 as you can sustain) until population is full then max tax. It's so much better than anything else there's no meaningful decision there.

Or take another example, mining outposts. How do they work? I don't know exactly, there's lots of moving parts. But I do know that there's a cap on how many resources you can get, and the lowest tier harvester can collect that much if you put 2(?) on the blueprint. So researching upgraded harvesting technology, or building lots of harvesting modules on a giant outpost is a total waste. There's no meaningful decisions, you put 2 on every blueprint and ignore it.

Or research. How does research work? No clue. Even the internet does not seem to understand, I've seen so many contradictory posts. You can't interact with it because it has so many moving parts that nobody understands and the game never bothers to explain it. There's no meaningful depth there, nothing to manipulate, no choices to make. You just research stuff according to some arcane formula that nobody can figure out exactly. Zero depth, even though there's (probably) a lot of moving parts.

etc, etc.....

The other problem is that the game is clearly designed for automation, everything can be automated, and there's so many numbers to tweak and things to micromanage you're practically forced to let the AI handle it. So why is that a problem? The AI is goddamn horrible, like holy crap it's stupid - so you either accept micromanagement hell or you assign stuff to the AI and then constantly get frustrated as it ruins everything with it's idiocy. One example is that I was tired of building new ships myself so I let the AI build new ships. It promptly spent literally all of my money and built so many ships that I had a huge negative income and had to scrap a bunch of them. Why would it do that? I have no idea!

I had really high expectations of the title based on how much B12 praises it, but it's just.. it's not even mediocre, it's probably the worst or second worst 4x I've played.

As for why post if you didn't like it, everyone likes to bitch it's human nature.

Edit: Here is a short article on depth vs complexity. TL;DR summery:

Depth is “the number of emergent, experientially different possibilities or meaningful choices that come out of one ruleset.” Games with high depth are still strategically interesting and fun even after you have mastered the game’s rules.

Complexity is how difficult it is for the player to understand the rules and their implications. If the game requires the player to track multiple rules at once, it makes it harder for the player to appreciate the depth of the game.

Distant worlds is complex, but lacks depth.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 01:30:59 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 04:31:26 am »

My counterargument would be that, complexity for complexity's sake is good, actually. As you noted, we're on the B12 forums and Dwarf Fortress practically epitomizes complexity at the cost of depth, it's basically DF's entire niche. I slot Distant Worlds into the same category as Dwarf Fortress, Aurora 4X, Cataclysm DDA, etc: the joy is not in playing the game but in exploring the intricate systems. There are so few games out there that actually pursue complexity as a virtue in itself. If I can spend longer reading tutorials and help documents than actually playing the game, that's unironically a plus: I play games to stir the imagination, to consider and contemplate and ultimately understand the workings of novel mechanics. Actually engaging with those mechanics long after I've explored them? Meh. The possibilities are what's interesting, the execution is just rote.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4