Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38

Author Topic: The Cosmic Throne: A Magic Battle Royale -- TURN 14  (Read 25663 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile

(( Strik3r - First I want to say, don't expect this to be anywhere near approaching some masterpiece of a game, just because you like my writing in the communal worldbuilding thread. Haha. My main focus here is to roll some dice and warp the world around your magic, and just be interested as to what falls out of it. I figured giving things a PvP slant would help some people get a bit more invested.

Regarding your magic, while yes, space and time are crazy high concepts when it comes to spells, I think we can make it work regardless. So long as you don't expect to be doing things like reverting the game back to turn one, or jumping the world through time to the very end. Things like precognition will be hazy as well, since I can't dictate the outcome of dice ultimately. But go for whatever your heart desires, the random gods will decide your fate. We can chalk certain restrictions up to the fact that this Still World resists such changes. Whereas, you might not be able to use your magic to teleport a rock inside someone's brain and instantly kill them, as Mystics of your level have some kind of general resistance to such tricks.

As for the name, I was tempted to make it a title like Clock/Watchmaker, but ultimately went with Clesydros, a corruption of Clepsydra. C:

Yellow Pixel - Welcome aboard! I'm personally excited to see how you weave magics of pixels and happiness into being the last Mystic standing and claim your rightful place as the next creator. I live the varied aspects you've all chosen.

Which is not to say that you can't go beyond those paths. No reason anyone can't grow forests, they might just not be as good as Maria is at it.

Last thing, I've updated the posts to reflect your new characters, and will be happy to do so if we get one more. Eight seems like a fine number. But I may be willing to go higher depending on the circumstances.

As soon as I get everyone's first turn actions, I'll move ahead with the next post! ))

EDIT: I accidentally crimped TricMagic's post on the last page with this one. Make sure you go read it. c:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:41:39 am by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Damnit i get distracted from the forum for a few days and it's just then that Unraveller decides to makes a forum game.
But no seriously. i'm excited to see what'll come of this.

And since you're apparently still taking more players, i might as well.
Since i always miss the opening posts of forum games, i shall play something that's never late. :P

Spoiler: Addendum (click to show/hide)
I want to play! :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You two were added to Turn Zero, you can read your blurbs and act

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Yay! I'm on the squirrel-shaped island!"

"I shall people it with plenty of pretty happy peppy yellow pixel squirrels!"

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile

(( Strik3r - First I want to say, don't expect this to be anywhere near approaching some masterpiece of a game, just because you like my writing in the communal worldbuilding thread. Haha. My main focus here is to roll some dice and warp the world around your magic, and just be interested as to what falls out of it. I figured giving things a PvP slant would help some people get a bit more invested.
((But it'll be anyway. Whether its a sentence, a paragraph or a whole story, every word you write is a joy to read.))

Regarding your magic, while yes, space and time are crazy high concepts when it comes to spells, I think we can make it work regardless. So long as you don't expect to be doing things like reverting the game back to turn one, or jumping the world through time to the very end. Things like precognition will be hazy as well, since I can't dictate the outcome of dice ultimately. But go for whatever your heart desires, the random gods will decide your fate. We can chalk certain restrictions up to the fact that this Still World resists such changes. Whereas, you might not be able to use your magic to teleport a rock inside someone's brain and instantly kill them, as Mystics of your level have some kind of general resistance to such tricks.

As for the name, I was tempted to make it a title like Clock/Watchmaker, but ultimately went with Clesydros, a corruption of Clepsydra. C:
((Yup, i know. That's exactly why i want some restrictions on myself. The main rule for myself is "No Time-travel, backward or forward." and also "I can't roll back the whole world; the range of my magic is limited, both spatially and temporally.".

Also, thank you so much for coming up with such a cool name for my character. If i had left it to myself, i would have come up with something lame, probably starting with a vowel, probably 'A', and so on. Also also, i am so dumb for not making the connection with 'Clepsydra' when first reading the name, even though i've read about the water-clock before!))

"This place, pitiful and devoid of any past that is close. How far from the present must the nearest time of anything be stood? ...There is nothing but dust, silt and ashes as far back into past as the eye can see." Clesydros murmured, fiddling idly with one of the timepieces affixed to his robe.

"What is a master of time to do with a place where it doesn't flow?" he inquires, looking about him at the desolate, lifeless place. "What is a master of time to do with aeons of ashes and lifeless waters? I could not even make time sprint here in hopes something would spring from nothing. It wont. I don't need clarivoyance to know it!"
"How far is the time a dock stood on the water's edge here? Or a boat on the water, or anything for that matter? I can't see that far."
"Transposing myself elsewhere won't help, no doubt the entire world is like this. That leaves perhaps only one option, one i was hoping to avoid dearly...

A Blind Pull! I shall reach blindly as far into the past as i can hope to reach, in hopes i'll grasp anything of note and drag it here!"

"No doubt i'll just grab more emptiness and silt, but perhaps a mountain of it can make a fortress. Or maybe stretching my arm into the past once more will fill me with inspiration. Or i'll pull some horrible reality from the past unknown. Anything but this... nothingness!"

((Hilariously, this turn was really hard, what you just read is basically my thought process, written In-Character. Turns out, being a time wizard in a place where the past, AFAIK is nothingness, for a very long time, is hard!))
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile

(( We'll get a better idea of how your space-time interacts with this world as we move on for sure. I'm certain we can keep it from being overpowered or anything like that. Guess it'll come down to the eventual conflicts here. C;
Fun stuff everyone. I'll casually start writing the turn and do some rolls, we'll just need something from the Formless Apparition before I post. No rush at all Magmacube! Just jotting that down for my own good, or I'll get too excited and post prematurely.

EDIT: Got everything written up, aside from Magmacube's turn, should be able to post it quite quickly after they get their actions in. I'm hoping you guys all enjoy this moving forward, there's definitely a part of me that's always nervous when I've a responsibility to others. I know I'm probably making this sound waaaaayyy blown out of proportion, but the principle is important to me. As an aside, I will likely be holding the game to a 48 Hour turn timer that may vary somewhat. But the idea is to keep things moving at a decent pace. My hope is that I can actually see my first game to its completion. If your Mystic is unable to act during a turn, they will focus everything they can on survivability. Thanks !))
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:55:16 pm by Unraveller »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile

TURN ONE

Casteth, thy seeds of magick,

May they bloom, may the rot,

Meaningless before the lord,

Whom taketh thine seat.

Hopefully you'll all be able to bear my lack of graphic design skills and use of MS paint. Haha.

- Maria 'Habitat' Violet -

Seed the island I’m on with life

FATE'S DECISION - SEEDING LIFE - 1d10 + 2 (Primary Aspect) = 3

Around you, naught but dust. Countless eons of decay from the first rubble of creation, nothingness, lifelessness. . . You seek to make amends. Though perhaps the Throne beckons only for aggression, for battle, you center yourself to this colourless island where all is naught, you plant your feet firmly, letting the gravels nestle between your toes. Once perhaps, long, long, so immeasurably long ago all that was green and good sprouted from these dead lands, you were certain to make it so again. Gently, you pluck a stem from the verdance that is your hair, with three shakes of the leaf and a few mystic words, you kneel to the ground. Firmly, with purpose you plant the small leaf, and work your magic true.

At once, the dusty sediment reacts, almost recoiling to the change. A detestment of this alien seed you'd brought along with you. The earth itself cannot stop nature from taking its course however, and seeds yet more spring from the tips the leaf, fluttering away across the gray sand, dotting it so. Yet. . . Despite all your effort bent about bringing this land life, little takes strong root. This dry, inhospitable spit of dust wants nothing more than its eternal exile. Yet more do you envigor the seeds, you will not be shown up by mere debris! With great focus, short blades of emerald green grass spring about you, surrounding this small flat area with at last a fresh scent.

Small patches of grass begin to root upon the island! Though, they are not the healthiest of sorts. . .

- Dr. Unpleasant -

"This place is nothing but ash and quite, I hate it and I'm gonna do something about it!"

Gather some of the ash from the ground and shape it into several humanoid creatures and grant them life.

FATE'S DESCISION - SHAPING ASH INTO HUMAN FORM - 1d10 + 1 (Secondary Aspect) + 2 (Skill) =  11!

FATE'S DESCISION - IMBBUING LIFE TO THE ASHEN FIGURES - 1d10 + 1 (Secondary Aspect) = 4

You curse this land, you curse the Throne, you curse the very air you breath, having to share it with these other pretenders. The fools. It wouldn't be long before they see the machinations of Doctor Unpleasant! With your ever ensorcelling hatred, you weave the soot from the long dead land beneath your boots, you whip motes of the dust away from your coat and from your mustache leaving you pristine while your knobby fingers dance amid the stagnant air. Each delicate motion enrapturing a wind that carries and conglomerates the ash in one place, a proverbial block of marble, your magicks the hammer, your imagination the chisel.

In one powerful motion, your words, your thoughts are made manifest, the snap of a finger; excess dust sifts away leaving more than handful of statues that would rival the great works of Chivallie de Marq, the greatest sculpter of your age. . . You always hated his work. Yours is better! Perfect facsimiles of the human form stand before you, a mix of gray and black ash from wounds long forgotten, they stand as a testament to your ability. A final glare does all the rest, pouring a pound of your misanthropy, and a pound yet more of narcism, all imbued within those grand dolls. They spring to life at once, though no deeper thought is set within their clouded eyes. The Ashen Idols move with purpose toward their creator, without a hint of sapience within their empty heads. These puppets deign to do your bidding, and little else.

Spoiler: Ashen Idols (click to show/hide)

- Amon -

Amon smiles. And laughs, And laughs, And laughs... “What a delight! Although, I must say, It is quite boring. Might have to do something about that!

Amon instills the concept of chaos, Life and loyalty into the stone around him..

FATE'S DESCISION - INSTILLING CHAOTIC LIFE - 1d10 + 2 (Primary Aspect) = 5

FATE'S DESCISION - INSTILLING LOYALTY - 1d10 - 4 (Chaotic Nature) + 5 (Willpower) = 7

That laugh resounds across this empty plane, with little more than the still ocean behind you. Just as you say, dull is the perfect word to describe it all. To think, a struggle between Mystics with powers that could tear any reality asunder, one would hope their arena to be a bit more. . . Inspiring than such a drab place. You are certain to change that, just as all the other Mystics believe the same. So from within the most elemental form of the miniature outcropping on which you stand, you pick and prod; indecipherable words fall from your mouth. Inanimate becomes animate, rigid becomes malleable. . .

The ground shudders, the island creaks. As the stone warps under your odd magicks, the land lets out a great cry, like something deeply profane was taking root. A massive shattering split fills the air with its cacophony, the wall of basalt shears off into the sea with another tremendous bellow, the first waves this world has seen in unfathomable years reverberate off. There, from the now minuscule spot of rock you stand, you bear witness to your creation; floating. . . No, swimming about the isle, a beast of basalt lingers. Composed of those octagonal pillars, it hauls itself just upon that rocky shore, as if to await its master's heeding. Its body warps and shifts at an almost constant rate, the seed of chaos is deep within, only time will tell how long it obeys you Amon, but that's nothing you're not used to.

Spoiler: Beast of Basalt (click to show/hide)

- ? -

From the abyss, weave a magic of great works, seeding this land with dungeons which will produce monsters. These will overflow with time, forcing them out with regularity. And these monsters will die, and give birth to rot. And as with all things, that rot will turn to life, green growing from the new soil and allowing monsters to survive. Such is the cycle. The Continent of Monsters.

? What is a name, what is the end? This world is stagnant, empty, unchanging. And so to give meaning to the abyss, there must be variance for life to fear the end of all things. In the end, all it takes is a name to give something power. Without it, there isn't a meaning to the endless, is it?

FATE'S DESCISION - DUNGEONS OF THE ABYSS - 1d10 + 2 (Primary Aspect) = 12!

FATE'S DESCISION - DUNGEON MONSTERS - 1d10 + 3 (Dungeon Quality) = 5

You whom are without name, risen from the murky black void pull all manner of darkness alongside you with your passing. Yours is a trail of brilliant emptiness awash across the sky, those whom dared to gaze up to the red heavens that night bore witness to its streak, and no doubt shuddered at what it could mean. Your passing scattered shade and nothingness across the wasteland of fossilized grasses, black seeds of unknowable form and purpose embedded themselves within the earth as meteors, erupting as soon as they found their forever home in the rock and silt.

Three realities were borne of the abyss thus, the first, a hovel of infinite detritus, shadowy, sneaky vermin and every kind of pest called it their home, 'Woe's Warren', taking the land to the north west. The next found itself embedded in the worn away cape that fed into the ocean upon the eastern shore, here the shadows and void twisted amongst the sea encapsulating inside that submerged bunker, the 'Inkfield', where sickened beasts would soon flood the empty sea with nothing to eat. The last seed of the abysm took refuge just below where the Nameless One hung silent in the still air. Fifteen concentric spires burst forth from the dead silt, claws grasping toward the sky. A castle therein oozed a life-opposed substance back into the infinite pit from which each they came. This was the 'Keep of Black Apathy'.

Poetic, should it be that a nameless, fallen god is the first to grant the honour of a name to the ancient land below them. 'The Continent of Monsters', and so it would be. Though none of the beasts still molting amidst their black dens knew yet of the mother who bore them. Only time will tell what this great magick will spring into existence, and whether the beasts therein give thanks for their creation or detest their own very being.

- Yellow Pixel -

"Yay! I'm on the squirrel-shaped island!"

"I shall people it with plenty of pretty happy peppy yellow pixel squirrels!"

FATE'S DESCISION - CREATING PIXELATED SQUIRRELS - 1d10 + 2 (Primary Aspect) = 6

It seemed that on this scarred 'squirrel' shaped island while a dastardly doctor plotted their next moves to claim the Cosmic Throne by forging golems of ash and soot, so too did the inexplicable floating concept of the colour yellow, decide that it must create as well. At first, the yellow splotch grew. It grew and grew, swelling with magicks that gave its intentions away. Then all at once, the vibrant yellow light that composed the Pixelated mystic was scattered across the barren ashes.

The color congealed about motes of dust and soot, much like Dr. Unpleasant's magic had. This time however, the ashes were compressed, dyed, shaped, then flattened once more, until the shapes of little yellow squirrels emerged and joyously skittered about. The creatures each were perfect copies of one another, though their width left something to be desired. . . Indeed much like the Yellow Pixel, these creatures consisted entirely of just two dimensions! It was almost nonsensical that such a thing could bear life, and yet here they were, gathering about the floating yellow box, sharing a kinship, and happy to dance and play about their creator.

Spoiler: .squirrels (click to show/hide)

- Clesydros -

A Blind Pull! I shall reach blindly as far into the past as i can hope to reach, in hopes i'll grasp anything of note and drag it here!"

"No doubt i'll just grab more emptiness and silt, but perhaps a mountain of it can make a fortress. Or maybe stretching my arm into the past once more will fill me with inspiration. Or i'll pull some horrible reality from the past unknown. Anything but this... nothingness!"

FATE'S DESCISION - REACHING INTO THE PAST - 1d10 + 2 (Primary Aspect) = 11!

Clesydros, indeed perhaps you are out of your element in a place that time has forgotten. Your greatest strength, when one considers it, is history and the promise thereof into the far future. But here? You feel an irregular stillness, the moment truly puts into perspective the vast breadth of all time and space. And perhaps for that moment, you are stunned by the thought beauty and terror intertwined, if six other mystics just as great and powerful as thee were not dead set on a permanent demise for you here, then you might just spend another eternity pondering it. But surely. . . You've not fortold your own end here in this empty world. So surely then, the Throne will become yours and yours alone? Some might take confidence there, but you are not so foolhardy, the threads of time are far more fickle than the average enchanter might come to realize.

You toss all that aside, feeling the twisting magicks of your would-be rivals erupt all across the disparate lands. Now was the time for actions, not daydreams! Your arm disappears into thin air, traveling incalculable eons, to a time when reality was still young and nascent. It is beyond even the greatest of all scholars the many ages your magick pull there traveled, but eventually through the nothing it came upon something. Something cold to the touch, carven, perfected, yet powerful, enigmatic. The touch surprises you, something about it almost frightens you to pull it back to the present. And you nearly leave it. . . Before you know it Clesydros, you've taken hold, and another infinite millenium passes by before it arrives with your hand; a chunk of slate stone, there on carven and illuminate in the light of stars was the Divine Grammar, words that would take a hundred of you to decipher with all the days in the universe. And yet you clearly understood them. Whatever this chisled piece of stone is, it bears the mark of the Creator.

You place it down in the sand for but a moment to collect yourself and feel a great weakness sifting through your body, your hair grays in slight, and your knees buckle. When again you wrap your fingers around the slate, you feel renewed. . .[/i]

Spoiler: The First Slate (click to show/hide)

- The Formless Apparition -

For the time being, your strange body of twisting magicks enters a certain form of stasis. Perhaps it is your nature, to wait and observe the state of the world before acting upon it. Whatever the case, other Mystics would find it quite difficult to locate your shapelessness for the time being.

(( With more than 48 hours passing between now and turn zero, I've decided to move ahead. I'll say again, that I'll try to stick to this max 48 hour time window unless faced with specific circumstances or especially pitched battles that require more time to be fair.

As we move on, for reference, you may want to keep your allies/creations like the Ashen Idols or Basalt Beast marked down, as well as concurrent effects, such as a magical buff like stoneskin or such. But it's totally up to you what sort of bookeeping you want to do. I'll try and keep track of everything regardless! ))

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile

Amon waves off the creature. “Go do something useful and I might give you a treat! Or, you could do whatever you want. I care not. You won’t be getting that treat though!” Amon smiles. His first playmate, Albeit a mostly unintelligent one. It’s a work in progress.

Now, done to business!

Amon takes some of the stone from the Beast of Basalt and tries to create his own race. He imbues the stone with the concept of Flesh, Mind and assimilation. Plus a little sprinkle of Divine out of curiosity.

(Out of curiosity, Would mind magic work on players?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile

(( I will say that it is not fully out of the question, though I'm very hesitant about full on domination toward other players. Things such a fear, illusions, or other forms of mental attack I think are a lot more doable. Consider that even with the lowest willpower score possible, these Mystics are beings that have elevated themself to this plane and strive for ascension on their ambition, beings that would be very resistant to control by others. Or so I'd think. ))

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(( I will say that it is not fully out of the question, though I'm very hesitant about full on domination toward other players. Things such a fear, illusions, or other forms of mental attack I think are a lot more doable. Consider that even with the lowest willpower score possible, these Mystics are beings that have elevated themself to this plane and strive for ascension on their ambition, beings that would be very resistant to control by others. Or so I'd think. ))

(Yeah, I figured full domination wouldn’t work, I’m talking illusions and charm’s, Things like that. Like making someone irrationally scared or increasing friendliness. Like, Little nudges.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"They can't question me or even talk at all, they're perfect!"
Now lead my Ashen Idols to an area of exposed stone and forum the stone into swords, spears, armour, and shields.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile

Clesydros picks up The First Slate, and firmly tucks it underneath his forearm, holding it like he would a book and considers what it means for him.
"Some don't believe in luck, say everything is unpredictable yet predetermined progression of initial states. But what is luck, if not this! To chance upon something, i believe, to be wrought by the Creator itself at the origin of time's road?"
"Yet, i am still to create anything of substance, but gaining this slate, i can do so with. And i must with haste! Were my adversaries to learn of it in my possession, they would seek to take it for themselves."
"Only a fool would not realize the power that this holds!"

With The First Slate now firmly held by him, Clesydros once again looks about the barren island and ponders.
"No doubt my opponents are already weaving deadly gauntlets and great armies as i am sat here thinking. Yet, to truly create something from nothing, most of all life, is not my domain, i alter and change things to suit my whims..."
His eye catches on nothing in particular, a hill just the same as all the rest of the landscape: silt, dust, ashes.
"But perhaps, these wastes of time are something yet, to be made new again. Something can always become something else. Transmutation, is outside of my expertise, but perhaps with understanding of space and the slate in my hands, this dust can yet again become something!" he says, a newfound inspiration in his voice. "If there is nothing but ashes, then the ashes themselves shall become my weapon. And there are many, many aeons of ashes!"

"By using magic of spatial manipulation, i shall gather the substrate of this place, compress it as much as possible to form it into beings of crystal and then imbue them with life."

"Beings of crystal will be the perfect ones to serve me in this desolate land. Intentionally mindless, formed of inorganic material thus requiring no sustenance and being largely immune to negative effects of time... After all, diamonds are forever!" his monologue ending with a bout of raucous laughter.

Spoiler: Clesydros (click to show/hide)

((This is starting to feel alot like the land of gods again.))
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I must say, I’m actually very excited about this game. It’s so fun!)

Edit: (Although, I honestly thought you’d have some problems with the concept manipulation thing. I’d had a whole other character up and ready too. :D)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 07:48:21 am by Knightwing64 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As ? sits upon a grim throne within the Keep of Apathy, they think of the Mystic Magicks being wielded elsewhere.

To the northwest, and southwest. Two of my foes gather. Hmm...

Getting up after a lot of introspection, she travels to a balcony, overlooking the Abyss. Here she lets her other sinces fade, staring into it. And as she does, it stares back, and visions of the world it sees are shown. Of what hope remains in the Mystics afar.

[Scry into the Abyss]

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Try transferring nutrients from the least healthy plants to the most healthy plants, causing them to grow taller, also cause it to rain to help with the plant growing
My hope is that if the grass is tall enough, if someone ends up here, finding me would be difficult

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile

((  Glad you're enjoying things Knightwing! But maybe reserve judgement, you're only a turn into the game, things could always turn to trash. Haha. As for 'concept' manipulation, I was definitely thrown for a loop as to all the things that it could contain, we'll keep a close watch on it much like space/time, to keep it from having a massive scope. Like. . . Altering the concept of all the atmosphere into acidic vapor. It's a very broad category, I'm interested to see how you focus it.

Aaand, keep in mind, anything you can do, so can your colleagues. They may just not get the bonuses of it being their aspects! ))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:15:27 pm by Unraveller »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38