Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: The Cosmic Throne: A Magic Battle Royale -- TURN 14  (Read 25662 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
The Cosmic Throne: A Magic Battle Royale -- TURN 14
« on: July 19, 2021, 01:01:32 am »

At the center of it all. . .
There layeth the seat. . .
Awash thereupon its bed of starlight. . .
Brilliant, enticing, The Cosmic Throne.

'Ode to thee o' Mystic one whom beareth magicks beyond mortal repute. Thou hast truly transcended the bonds of thine pitiful body through ensorcelled spells and powers unknown, or thou simply wouldst not find thyself in this stagnant domain.' Indeed as your gaze is led astray across this land, it is found wanting. The lands, featureless and haphazardly carven without care bear little resemblance to the reality you once called home, they are barren, devoid of any form of life. No more than stone and silt across an untamed sea. And even yet, that very sea is just as purposeless, without motion, without swells, without beasts of yore. Through your hands it is like naught but empty weight and wet. But you have not come to this dead land without purpose, through an imperceptible veil you have arrived with one goal in mind. . .

It is there, where the sea ebbs and transfigures itself into stardust, there in the center of this world. Behind an ever-twisting coat of nebulic dust it warps your vision, bends all your will upon it. There, between eight diamond pillars of ancient stone it sits, a massive slate bearing utterances that no magicks can decipher. It is said the Creator of Creators once sat in that very place, amidst this quiet, sullen reality. Could all that you know have begun here? In this place? You are uncertain, but what is clear, The Cosmic Throne allures and pulls the greatest mystics of many ages to its clarion call, where only one may be seated. Indeed, this land bears the scars of many past conflicts, you see it when you look for it. . .

Will you be the next body eroded to dust amid these impossibly ancient shores? Or will you take your rightful seat upon The Cosmic Throne?

Hello! Unraveller here, this is the first game I'll be running on this awesome forum I've come to love. Hopefully, it won't be the last! But we'll see about that won't we? Anywho! The Cosmic Throne is a game inspired by countless other forum games I've seen over the years, it's by no means especially unique, but I thought I'd start with something simple and not mechanically overbearing first.

Boiled down to its most basic parts, The Cosmic Throne is a game highlighting the conflict of powerful magic users in their final battle to claim the seat they believe will lead them to ascendancy, to create the next world. Actions in this game are entirely freeform, though they must fall into a few basic rules for some level of structure/balance. The ultimate goal of course is to beat the rest of the players to death or submission and take your seat. All actions made by each player will be tested by rolling a ten-sided dice with relevant modifiers based on a number of contextual circumstances. One or lower resulting in utter failure (potentially even backfire) and ten or more resulting in the most powerful effects possible, and complete manifestation of your will.

- Movement, Location, and Actions -
Though locations of each Mystic will be recorded carefully upon the map of the world as it shifts and changes, your character does not necessarily know the precise location of another without scrying magics. Within a reasonable distance however, one mage may detect the general mystical power emanating from another, though this is by no means perfect, one may obscure themselves with shadows and so on. A large part of your goal is to locate others and defeat them, or mould the land to your advantage, or even hide away creating a vast army of iron golems. With that said, please do attempt to not metagame to hone in exactly on a character's location when it would be otherwise bafflingly unreasonable. Though this game is very asymmetric in nature, I'd like to keep a good level of !!FUN!! balanced with the competitive aspect.

Relevant to the above is movement, unless one has the reasonable ability to do so, crossing the world instantly in a single post is generally disallowed. Unless perhaps the character spends their turn casting some for of teleportation spell. Otherwise, movement is a free action within certain parameters based on context. Maybe a character's main aspect is wind, and they find levitating a simple matter where an earth mage may find themselves more grounded. Ultimately be believable, even if you are immensely powerful mages.

In efforts to make turns flow somewhat easily on my end (especially because I post on mobile) Mages are limited to one spell action per turn. This could range from dredging a mountain out the sea or casting a lightning bolt from your fingertips and anything in between.  Some spells may even require multiple turns to complete based on their power and scope. Whereas physical actions tend to vary a bit more. The most basic of things such as movement or speaking are of course free, something like swinging a blade however you might only be able to do coupled with a small spell of limited scope, such as cracking the earth beneath someone, or enchanting your sword with flame. Ultimately I'd like to keep the options of the players very free form in nature, and rely heavily on dice to dictate outcomes wherever possible. However, I will step in if things require more specific mediation.

Below is the form in which you'll submit and create a character!

Spoiler: Character Form (click to show/hide)

I don't have an exact number of players that I desire to get in on the fun, but I'll definitely be happy to accept a good bunch of 'em. I'm still considering whether or not to accept players after the game has begun. That is. . . If this rather tired concept of a game can generate any interest. Haha. As a warning from here on, I'll repeat that this is my first hosted game, so I'm a bit nervous and it'll definitely be rough around the edges, but I hope you'll go easy on me, and we can have a good bit of fun!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:28:37 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: The Cosmic Throne
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 01:02:15 am »

The World Shudders In Slight

The Map of the Nameless World will be updated each turn with locations of the mystics as well as any changes to the land.
Interesting monuments and landmarks that are created will be marked and cataloged for reference and chronicling purposes, so get out there and twist this world to your wills!

Spoiler: Living Mystics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Deceased Mystics (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:55:17 am by Unraveller »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 02:04:34 am »

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 02:25:04 am by Naturegirl1999 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 04:54:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 05:36:18 am »

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 06:23:15 am »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 08:33:13 am »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 11:26:41 am »

Okie doke! Pretty dang neat. There was a part of me that half expected this thread to be pushed to page two without a single response. Haha. But I'm glad you've all made some varied Mystics, I definitely dig the different aspects you've all chosen, and can't wait to see how you'll weave magicks to shape this quiet world and defeat your rivals!

I'll give things a teeny bit longer to see if there are any other mages worth their salt, otherwise we may begin fairly shortly. I'll make a starting post that will allocate your positions randomly, with some short blurbs about the area and let you off!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile

TURN ZERO

From thine respective times,
From thine respective lands,
Each thee all arrive here,
To this place,
To this quiet, barren place.

Maps will undergo MANY revisions as we move forward, especially considering my awful lack of graphic design skills.

'You. . . Whom art here.'
     'You. . . Whom seek ascension.'
           'You. . . Twisted by thy ambition.'
                 'You, take upon thy seat when at last thy enemies art sundered.'

That voice, its ethereal tone rings within your collective minds. It is invasive, and unstoppable. A will that probes deep within the furthest recesses of your psyche, when at last you cast away the shock of it, you realize. . . It is the object of your desire laid before you, in your mind's eye, The Cosmic Throne. It imparts only a deepening of your desire, of your avarice, of your thirst for Godhood. It begs a single master to its cold slate.

Through manners of magicks ancient and dark, you have found yourself in the Nameless Place, this old place. Older perhaps than the mountains and the stars of your home. But you nary spend a thought looking back from where you came, only toward the lustrous future for all of Creation, when at last you take your rightful place upon the throne. You are no fool, you did not believe that such an undertaking was to be easy, and yet as you stand before the twisting altar of divinity, upon pillars eight, you bear witness to a handful more Mystics, each with the same will bent upon their victory.

It is for the briefest moment your gaze falls upon the others; a young woman, verdant is her hair, simple, her visage. Yet she bears the unflinching strength of the forest. The next there stood a figure shrouded in black, an old, wizened fellow who stroked their greying mustache idly, though their own gaze spoke to a century's worth of misanthropy. Another being levitates above the third pillar, twisting, formless, ever shifting and cycling, this gray mass of intelligence perhaps is a sight most unsettling, what alien desires does it bear? What world could come through its shapeless hands? Cold eyes, a steel look cuts through to you from the Mystic in purple the second greatest of stature amongst the gathered few. Their visage betrays nothing of themself. Lastly, a being whom once held divinity in its grasp. Their glassy black skin and contrastingly glittering silvered hair is a striking image, yet there is a mournful sorrow about this nameless one, a kinship with this forgotten world. . .

Just before you are sent away, two more figures appear. One emerges from a forest green fog, shrouded in obscuring robes. As they step upon the old pillar, it seems to crumble at their touch. The next beside them is. . . A box? Not quite so, something small, something yellow. A manifestion of the color yellow is extant here in this place, floating harmlessly above their pillar. Yes, even colors deign to be gods.

You've been afforded only this brief glimpse at those whom one day you'd come to slay, for no reason other than your warped morality, or justified means to a brighter future. Then at once, each you all are scattered to the quiet wind, bespeckled across this world. One astral body lurks above as you collect yourself, a massive orb of deep crimson, setting below a red daylight that warms you only in slight. Yet it seems to move at an unnatural pace through the empty sky.

Maria “Habitat” Violet

You awaken with the image of your soulbound foes seared into the mind. Gathering your consciousness, you are appalled to the sight of the earth beneath your feet. Little more than gray sand, and sterile silt from one end of this continental island to another, only the barest hint of rolling hills make themselves known. It is almost as if even becoming a desert was too great a task for this infinitely ancient land. Worse yet, not a soul, not a sapling, not a distant cry is hear across this place.

But you are strong, you've transformed wastelands into Elysium paradise in days of yore, in the world you once called home. And though you bare a conscious desire to see this reality, the cradle of existence that it is, seeded with life, you must also consider your true purpose here and how you will come to accomplish it, as your gaze falls upon the distant twisting typhoon of starlight where [/b]the Cosmic Throne is seated.

You are alone here, though you feel faint magicks beyond the quiet sea to the land southeast of here.

Dr. Unpleasant

Briefly as you come to, your head is wracked with pain until it fades away into a certain numbness. Just as well you recall the faces of your foes, each bearing their looks upon you more detestably than the last. And no doubt they would soon come to bear magicks against you as well. Preparation will be key, you surmise, should you wish to eradicate your competition.

As you shake the cosmic dust from your dark clothes, you take stock of the place in which you've been sent. It is an island crooked like the head of pick, ashen and sooty. Here just as any other amid this Nameless World is devoid of life, a state you are far from unfamiliar with. As you stand before the northen shore here, the land itself bears a deep scar, as if once a great inferno was cast across it. Scathing the island permanently long ago. Perhaps it is where the Creator of Creators made their stand against their competion much as you will do in the coming days to pass.

You are alone here, yet to the northwest you feel the coming clash of two distinct magicks.

The Shapeless Apparition

The collective particles that make up your conscious existence once again coalesce, having been scattered across a most rocky place. Though you yourself are a formless being, the forms of those set before you will never be forgotten within the alien memory amidst your undulating body. Even I cannot hope to explain what ambitions drive such a creature onward to this ancient place. Perhaps reality has become stagnant, and the pieces that compose your creation yearn for drastic, tumultuous change.

Perhaps not.

The land before you is certain, basalt pillars meeting a still ocean side, untouched by erosion, yet salt permeates the stones, and the air. These mismatched octagonal stones stretch all the way to the opposite side of the massive island continent. Even more certain perhaps, an intense mystical will is nost definitely nearby. Just across the land's gulf, a small island of raised rocks there stands, undoubtedly one of your quarries.

Amon

Indeed, you feel it too Amon, an unsettling presence just upon the shore opposite your own. Whatever it is, it is not the same as the countless beings you have imposed your will upon before. Something wholly different. Still, you believe yourself to be unspotted, and countless methods flutter through your mind as to how you wish to move forward. Numerous plans, incalculable thoughts.

A wall of raised basalt keeps your enroved form hidden for now, though your back is set to the sea, and beyond it, the Throne. The Throne that nothing will stop you from claiming when all is said and done amongst this quite place. You've much work to do, yes. But you relish all the time in this cosmos that you've to accomplish it.

?

At last it is you, whom is risen in all thine empty, forgotten glory from the darkest pit tunneled through to infinitely in this otherwise empty place. Shadows enrobe you O' Nameless One whose divinity has all but extinguished. The Cosmic Throne beckons your onyx body onward, to claim that which you've been borne unto this place for. Your purpose.

Below you is that aforementioned pit, a hole with no seeming end, no bottom, no deep cavern, nothing. One wonders if it marks a hole in this reality, leading to the next, or perhaps an unceasing torment of naught is all that lies within. Regardless, just as with this devoid land as a whole, you feel a kinship with this shadowed pit. Flanking it on all sides, the land is mostly flat, a plain of ancient fossilized grass that betrays a notion of this world once bearing life.

You feel that very life. But it is concentrated, a magick that extends beyond the shore of this place, to the lands northwest. Another would-be god lurks there. . .

Clesydros

Nearly, did you miss your chance it seems. A brief moment more and you may just have been cut off from this world for millenniums yet still. And though it is indeed time you have spent your life to understand, you are no less mortal, to thread such a needle through an infantesimile small moment like this again could have taken another lifetime, or perhaps more. But no matter now, no need to dwell on what could have been.

Your eyes lose their occlusion as they again acclimate to the deep red glow of this Namless World, nameless as you. But such things hold great power, you've come to realize, perhaps it is time to take up a name for yourself. You look onward, the smallest, most pitiful of brooks gurgles on this miniscule island, the last in a chain. As you watch the still water amble through, you come to it, Clesydros. Warping the word your peoples of yore once used for the water clock, one of the first time-keeping constructions. It will do, for now.

Though you are alone on this featurless isle, you can feel the presence of magicks near. To your north, your east, and southwest.

Yellow Pixel

Yellow! Truly a brilliant color. One that seems to naturally afford all life with a certain joy, a certain vibrance. Yet it is not long after you are sent to this place seeking ascension that you come to realize something within your colorful mind. Yellow is devoid in this place. In-fact, most lands are colorless, even the sea has taken on a brackish gray much like the sky, hardly reflecting the dull red light of the giant star above.

Is such a thing okay? Can such a world exist without the color yellow? Questions set to ponderance no doubt. Ashen grey, that is the color below your pixel body, the island once bore the brunt of flame and has suffered dearly for it.

You are not alone here. Just beyond your vision, you feel the strong pull of another Mystic, already weaving their spells about the land.

Alright! The Nameless Land here is set, rife for soon to be growing conflicts between our powerful mystics! I personally cannot wait to see how the world is shaped and bent under your collective wills as you clash with great magicks. As I mentioned before, I'll be keeping the map updated with new features, mage locations, new life that is created, wizard towers, perhaps armies of golems, and much much more up to your magickal imaginations!

I want to impress that I want this game to be quite freeform, and that will ultimately lead to some level of imbalance, I hope we can work through it to deliver a fun experience regardless of how things go. All the same in that vein, I've no issue with alliances or pacts of non-agression and the like, go nuts! Just remember, in the end, only one Mystic may claim the Cosmic Throne!

With all that said, I'll be happy to accept a few more players if they come along, just like any other they'll be rolled into a random location and be given the same shake that the rest of you have been. PLEASE don't be afraid to ask any questions or bring up any concerns, as I lack experience running games, I want to do my best for us all to enjoy it. I want to keep the game fairly rules light, so we'll just see where the dice bring us, won't we? I'll be posting turns as quickly as they come, or otherwise every other day.

As an aside, it is worth mentioning that events will occur within the world as things progress, to shake up the dynamic as well as move things forward if conflict begins to stagnate.

Let's see what you mystics can do.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:53:22 am by Unraveller »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Seed the island I’m on with life

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"This place is nothing but ash and quite, I hate it and I'm gonna do something about it!"
Gather some of the ash from the ground and shape it into several humanoid creatures and grant them life.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile

Damnit i get distracted from the forum for a few days and it's just then that Unraveller decides to makes a forum game.
But no seriously. i'm excited to see what'll come of this.

And since you're apparently still taking more players, i might as well.
Since i always miss the opening posts of forum games, i shall play something that's never late. :P

Spoiler: Addendum (click to show/hide)
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile

Amon smiles. And laughs, And laughs, And laughs... “What a delight! Although, I must say, It is quite boring. Might have to do something about that!

Amon instills the concept of chaos, Life and loyalty into the stone around him..

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to play! :)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the abyss, weave a magic of great works, seeding this land with dungeons which will produce monsters. These will overflow with time, forcing them out with regularity. And these monsters will die, and give birth to rot. And as with all things, that rot will turn to life, green growing from the new soil and allowing monsters to survive. Such is the cycle. The Continent of Monsters.

? What is a name, what is the end? This world is stagnant, empty, unchanging. And so to give meaning to the abyss, there must be variance for life to fear the end of all things. In the end, all it takes is a name to give something power. Without it, there isn't a meaning to the endless, is it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38