Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there any fix for the "Soldiers only wear one boot" bug?  (Read 4074 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile

Like it says on the tin.

Half of my Militia only have one iron boot on.

I have lots of iron boots.
Never pet a burning dog.

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any fix for the "Soldiers only wear one boot" bug?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 03:13:54 pm »

I've had some luck by assigning the one-boot soldiers to wear two sets of boots rather than just one. I think it basically just gives them an extra ticket in the "will this dwarf actually put his boots on" lottery--just an extra chance. This does requires you to have extra pairs of boots on hand, though, because if you assign a soldier two sets of boots, he seems to "claim" two sets of boots (thereby rendering them unwearable by anyone else), whether he's actually wearing them or not.

Make sure you have way more boots than you strictly need in any case, because I think sometimes a piece of equipment gets stuck as "claimed" long after it should have been, so it looks like you have plenty of boots, but the soldiers can't actually claim them. Sometimes just making a new batch of armor seems to help.

Sometimes, stationing the squad somewhere, then freeing them and setting the squad inactive, then making them active again, etc., a few times, can trigger them to go seek out a missing piece of equipment that they just haven't bothered to pick.

If none of those things work, you can assign a specific boot to each one-booted imbecile, rather than assigning just "metal boots" in general.

Oh, and you've probably already done this, but make sure every soldier is set to "replace clothing" rather than "wear over clothing"--if they aren't told to replace their clothing with their armor, they might already have shoes on, in which case they'll be unable to put a boot on over it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 07:53:14 pm »

The "replace clothing" and "perfect match" need to be activated, or nothing works like it should.

I find I need to take the dorfs after they have been assigned gear, station them over the gear and unstation them, and do it a few times. I don't use bins for my armour (makes it easier to get the right stuff melted without cancellation spam) so I have a big room or two with binless armour scattered over the floor as far as the eye can see. I station them dorfs in the room with their armour, lock the door once they're in, unstation them, and restation them a few times. Then I let them go and unlock the door, and if I remember, do the same thing a month later. Seems to be effective. I do the same thing in the weapons room. Needless to say, don't lock them in too long, or they'll starve. Just long enough for them to cancel all other tasks and go do the task of getting sodding dressed, dammit....

Edit: I was not aware that the automatic uniform was useable. This is after assigning specific armour to each dwarf specifically, one boot, helm, and spear at a time...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:14:46 pm by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 08:18:12 pm »

It's a pain but I always equip my soldiers with specific weapon and specific armour pieces. It takes a while if you do a whole squad in one go but it ensures that they are wearing what you want them to wear. Items still go missing every now and then but it's lot better than just with generic uniforms.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 06:11:19 pm »

It's a pain but I always equip my soldiers with specific weapon and specific armour pieces. It takes a while if you do a whole squad in one go but it ensures that they are wearing what you want them to wear. Items still go missing every now and then but it's lot better than just with generic uniforms.
I've always done it this way, too, and almost never* had the problems everyone else seems to have with military equipment. But as Thisfox says you have to use "replace clothing" (which, keep in mind, is a per position setting, not a per squad setting!) - otherwise currently-worn clothing may interfere.

* the one time I can recall having issues was after sending some soldiers on raids. Apparently when they left the fort their equipment reverted to "unclaimed" status, which allowed me (erroneously) to tell my other squads to wear it. So two (or more) dwarves were issued the same breastplate or greaves - but only one, of course, could wear it. Needless to say, there were a few half-naked militia wandering the fort until I wised up.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 08:26:06 pm »

Wait, I have not had this problem when kiting out everyone in full armor, but maybe it's because I have been using exact matches. Can anyone confirm that behavior?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 08:28:43 pm »

The only time my dwarves only wear one boot is when they only have one foot.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 02:24:14 am »

According to the “Troubleshooting” section of this wiki article, the problem is caused by assigning more than one pair of something that comes in pairs to a soldier.  If the item comes in pairs, you only need to make one assignment and it’ll assign both items of a pair to the soldier.  If you assign two pairs, the soldier will only be able to wear one pair but will still “own” the other pair preventing anyone else from equipping it.

Hope that helps!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 11:21:54 am »

Are you assigning dwarves to military squads using the vanilla DF interface, or are you using Dwarf Therapist?
I saw it suggested in another thread a while back that some uniform corruption issues could be caused by using Dwarf Therapist to assign squad members. I haven't tested it myself, but it might be worth looking into.

The specific type of uniform corruption I've encountered is when a single item gets allocated to two or more dwarves. One dwarf will end up wearing it while the other(s) will have that body part exposed. If you have dfhack the following lua script should output a list of all your squad members along with any parts of their uniform which have been claimed by more than one dwarf.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 12:42:21 pm »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

To clarify, I am using the DF interface, not Dwarf Therapist, to manage my squads and their equipment. I use Dwarf Therapist for info only. I have been using a custom uniform, with "replace clothing" and "wear it even when off-duty", but have not had the "exact matches" flag set.

I'll try that.

Here's the uniform I've been using (replace clothing):

For melee dwarves:

cloth shirt
metal chain mail shirt
metal breastplate
leather cloak
leather robe
cloth pants
metal greaves
metal helmet
metal gauntlets
cloth socks
metal high boots
metal melee weapon (different squads for Axe, Warhammer, Spear and Sword)

For Marksdwarves:

cloth shirt
metal chain mail shirt
leather cloak
leather robe
cloth pants
metal chain mail leggings
metal cap
metal gauntlets
cloth socks
metal high boots
metal crossbow

I don't see any problems there...
Never pet a burning dog.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 07:11:37 pm »

Ah. Try taking off the socks. I have heard there is a known bug when you try to layer footwear in military uniforms.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 07:36:15 pm »

leather cloak
leather robe

Both of these are overkill on your uniform, which will make weapon swapping impossible ill just add by not keeping the thickness non-dense for storing shields if a dwarf wants a free-hand to throttle a opponent, or secondary weapons like a crossbow/melee vice versa. One over chainmail is usually enough to squeeze it in without removing the shirt underneath the breastplate if you get what i mean.

Exact match uniform, set a period for dwarves to be off schedule by just clearing those 3 months in a season starting left to right of spring, summer etc while maintaining them as a active squad, during this time dwarves will be thinking about upgrading their civillian clothes only passively, so you can take socks and boots off, then re-assign in hopes they'll pick up a better pair.

Typically i've not had a issue personally because i make my own soldiers kit, but it helps if you produce enough shoes of equal material (vaguely metal counts, they'll just choose what is hardest) and quality to supply demand.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 10:15:43 pm »

Most definitely the socks.
If you assigned gloves and/or mittens, you'd have problems with gauntlets too.
IIRC hoods and helmets are an issue too (if they put the helm on first in theory a hood could be worn over it)
It's because they aren't smart enough to dress themselves.
Thankfully pants/leggings/greaves and shirt/mail shirt/bp/robes/cloak don't seem to suffer from this issue.
It would be great if wear over clothes made them actually take off their pieces that conflict so they could wear some clothes and their issued helmet/gauntlets/boots.
Consequently I find wear over clothes completely useless.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 08:37:02 am »

Yeah hoods and caps conflict with helmets and socks conflict with shoes and boots. I think shirt also conflicts with armour but I'm not sure about that.

The only thing where you want overlap is breastplate & mail shirt, and then either cloak or robe. Otherwise you'll have issues.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 10:06:23 pm »

Yeah hoods and caps conflict with helmets and socks conflict with shoes and boots. I think shirt also conflicts with armour but I'm not sure about that.

The only thing where you want overlap is breastplate & mail shirt, and then either cloak or robe. Otherwise you'll have issues.

Greaves and mail leggings are ok too, although overkill (especially with high boots).
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.
Pages: [1] 2