Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire infenction doesn't work on fortress mode  (Read 1407 times)

oliverosky95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire infenction doesn't work on fortress mode
« on: July 15, 2021, 04:12:45 pm »

I've been trying to get a vampire fortress running for the past few weeks, but it has been impossible so far because my dwarves drinking from blood laced with vampire blood doesn't turn them into vampires.

I have tried the following:

1. Make a dwarf go tantrum and topple statues of his deity inside the fortress to make him a vampire, then making him bleed into the water. Result: nothing happens after the dwarves drink there

2. Go to adventurer mode, bring back blood from a vampire generated during world-gen inside cups and then throw the cups at the walls above the water, spilling the blood into the water supply. Result: nothing happens after the dwarves drink there

3. Go to adventurer mode, turn my character into a vampire via dice curses, then retire him at the fortress and make him bleed into the water. Result: nothing happens after the dwarves drink there

Oddly enough, drinking the blood laced water during adventurer mode works fine. Any ideas on what could be happening? any way to fix this without resorting to cursing everyone manually with dfhack? or even how to make them vampires with dfhack?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:02:08 pm by oliverosky95 »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire infenction doesn't work on fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 05:27:54 pm »

Are they out of booze and drinking the water, or are they drinking from a well? Remember that the well will take water from the top water tile, and your infectant may be on the bottom layer, stuck to the floor. You can also in case of wells check the bucket to see if the water is "laced with blood".
In a time before time, I had a name.

oliverosky95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 10:26:02 am »

Are they out of booze and drinking the water, or are they drinking from a well? Remember that the well will take water from the top water tile, and your infectant may be on the bottom layer, stuck to the floor. You can also in case of wells check the bucket to see if the water is "laced with blood".

To prevent any meddling of that kind, I just burrow everyone in the area next to the vampire water so they can't get out of there to get booze. I also don't build a well to stop the bucket from potentially messing something up in the middle and since the water is just 1 z-level below they can access it just fine (and drink it). I still haven't figured out why it doesn't work, so if anyone has managed to get this to work in the current version of the game please let me know!

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 02:40:17 pm »

If I recall correct, Kruggsmash made a video where he dropped a vampire into a well. Besides water there were also spikes. Somehow those hurt the vampire in fortress mode and that changed the population into vampires.
It was done in an older version, but maybe something like this works.
Changing from adventurer mode to fortress mode messes with liquids. Adding the vampire blood while in fortress mode might help.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 09:16:34 am »

If I recall correct, Kruggsmash made a video where he dropped a vampire into a well. Besides water there were also spikes. Somehow those hurt the vampire in fortress mode and that changed the population into vampires.
Changing from adventurer mode to fortress mode messes with liquids. Adding the vampire blood while in fortress mode might help.

This exact procedure has already been attempted:

3. Go to adventurer mode, turn my character into a vampire via dice curses, then retire him at the fortress and make him bleed into the water. Result: nothing happens after the dwarves drink there

The spikes work because vampires, hilariously, maintain their mortal ability to slowly generate blood, which leaks into the water through repeated (nonlethal) stabbing.

Perhaps the problem is with dwarves drinking directly from the water instead of from a bucket (well/hopsital)?