Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem adding custom creature to embark.  (Read 773 times)

pithica42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problem adding custom creature to embark.
« on: July 15, 2021, 03:00:17 pm »

I'm making my first attempt at modding by adding in a new custom creature. It's supposed to be a domesticated version of the jabberer that's smaller. I'm running the LNP version 47.05-r02. I've basically copied and edited the existing jabberer entry from the save directory for the region into a new text file called creature_domestic_new.txt in the save/raw/objects folder of an existing world (the one where I domesticated jaberrers and retired the fortress). The text from the file is as follows:

Code: [Select]
creature_domestic

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:BIRD_JABBEY]
[DESCRIPTION:A huge bird that lurks in caverns deep under the earth, recently domesticated.  It uses its wide beak to reach down and pluck up unsuspecting intruders.]
[NAME:jabbey:jabbeys:jabbey]
[CASTE_NAME:jabbey:jabbeys:jabbey]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:jabbey hatchling:jabbey hatchlings]
[CREATURE_TILE:'J'][COLOR:5:0:1]
[BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
[PETVALUE:200][NATURAL]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][TRAINABLE][PET]
[MOUNT]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:100]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:4]
[BONECARN]
[CHILD:1]
[VISION_ARC:50:310]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_WALKING_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:6561:6115:5683:1755:7456:8567] 5 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:6561:6115:5683:1755:7456:8567] 5 kph
[SWIMS_INNATE]
[PREFSTRING:flashing feathers]
[BODY:HUMANOID_ARMLESS_NECK:2EYES:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:GIZZARD:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:4TOES:BEAK:TONGUE:RIBCAGE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FEATHER:FEATHER_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FEATHER:FEATHER_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_FEATHER_TISSUE_LAYERS:FEATHER]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TALON:NAIL_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:TALON:TALON_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TOE:TALON:FRONT]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EGG_MATERIALS]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
[PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:THROAT]
[TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RIBCAGE_POSITIONS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[HAS_NERVES]
[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:GIZZARD]
[EBO_ITEM:SMALLGEM:NONE:ANY_HARD_STONE]
[EBO_SHAPE:GIZZARD_STONE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:5000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:250000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:600000]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[MAXAGE:10:20]
[ATTACK:BITE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:BEAK]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK:SCRATCH:CHILD_TISSUE_LAYER_GROUP:BY_TYPE:STANCE:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:TALON]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:snatch at:snatches at]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[MUNDANE]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:jabbey hen:jabbey hens:jabbey hen]
[FEMALE]
[LAYS_EGGS]
[EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGGSHELL:SOLID]
[EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_WHITE:LIQUID]
[EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[EGG_SIZE:510]
[CLUTCH_SIZE:2:4]
[CASTE:MALE]
[CASTE_NAME:jabbey gobbler:jabbey gobblers:jabbey gobbler]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FEATHER]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:PURPLE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:feathers:PLURAL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_YELLOW:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[MULTIPLY_VALUE:3]

I'm able to generate the creature in the object arena for the region without issue. But when I go to start a new fort in that region, no matter the location or civ I pick, I don't see it as an available option on the embark screen. I've tried adding multiple variations of the following to the MOUNTAIN entity in the entity_defaults.txt.

Code: [Select]
        [USE_ANY_PET_RACE]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET]
[ANIMAL]
[ANIMAL_TOKEN:BIRD_JABBEY]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]
[ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PET]

I've added/removed stuff with no luck. I've also tried about a hundred variations (removing BIOME, changing BIOME, adding PACK_ANIMAL et cetera ad nauseum) to the creature file, but it still never shows in the embark options. I tried starting a new fort in the region, spawning one of them (which worked) using dfhack, and then retiring, with no luck showing it in embark. As a test, I added it to the base raw/objects folder and generated a brand new world and was able to see them in the embark screen there (though, for some reason, only one dead dwarven civilization shows up in that world, I'm curious if my pets killed them). So, I'm pretty sure it's not the file itself, though something in the file may make them impossible to use.

I'm pretty sure I'm just doing something stupid, as this is my first attempt at modding the raws. I probably skipped a step (I was thinking I may have to start a new fort, and trade some of them back to the mountainhome first, or something) or I have a syntax error or something blatantly stupid in one of the files. I've been really enjoying playing in the world I generated and already have my next site picked out, but I really wanted to be able to start with these as part of my embark. I've spent the last couple days scouring reddit and google and the forums here looking for a step by step on this or someone else having the same problem, but everything I've found is all stuff I've already tried (I think). 

So, uh, help? Please. I'm at my wits end banging my head on my keyboard.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem adding custom creature to embark.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 05:17:53 pm »

Changes to the RAWS always require fresh worlds to take effect, this is to ensure that RAWS on saves are always compatible, because in your save files its loaded in for the world on its creation.

The actual errorlog (if you see no errorlog in your DF folder, that's a good thing, there havent been any raw or ingame errors: like pathing usually) is filled in by the new world being created scanning the DF folder directory then saving it one-time. If you go to data/save there's copies of raws inside simply for reference, as editing these won't have any effect.

I've been really enjoying playing in the world I generated

You did nothing wrong, your raws are as far as i can see are accurate. You can save the world-seed with a bit more advice from the modding community and hold onto your world's generalized formation for a brand new save, but in order to implement your modding you'll just have to learn to let go and enjoy your current world before making the next.

pithica42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 07:13:11 pm »

Awesome. Thank you for your answer. I do have an errorlog (which I checked) but it's all stuff about positioning and other 'in play' errors from forts I've actually played. Nothing from the world gen or the monster. It seems I completely misunderstood the point of the raws in the save folders.

I know how to regen a world with the same seeds, but I don't think I saved them from the region in question before genning it. I was mostly hoping to keep the history I generated with the fort before, more than the site itself. I guess I'll just have to gen some more worlds to find another site I like with the added in mobs and build up new history there.

Thanks again.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 12:42:17 am »

You can find the seeds of an existing region by legend mode / export legends abd/or exporting images of an on going fort.
Also most changes require a world regen but not all.
Most often deleting/adding things require it, modifying something does not. The way to look at this is to remember that in dwarf fortress the world exist. And all regions civilisations and sites do too, with registered populations and knowledge of what they can do (reactions / buildings / clothes / domesticated animals...) so by adding to the raws, new civilisations would be able to have those things, but there won't be any new civilizations.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime