Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 104623 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R5, Day 3): Innocence Revealed In Blood
« Reply #2265 on: January 26, 2022, 12:55:11 pm »

Quote from: Votecount
webadict (0):
EuchreJack (0):
Maximum Spin (4): webadict, Roden, Magma Mater, ToonyMan
Roden (0):
ToonyMan (0):
Magma Mater (0):

No Execution (2): EuchreJack, Maximum Spin
Not Voting (0):
4 to hammer.

Maximum Spin looked around nervously. "Come on guys. Now isn't the right time for this. If you're so sure I'm trying to kill you all you can wait until tomorrow, right?"

And similarly to before, the overconfidence of the innocents was their undoing.

ToonyMan pushed, smiling with a wicked grin.

Maximum Spin was Town.

Tracker (town):
(Night) Track [target]: You follow your target stealthily, tracking them with your keen eyes, and learn who (if anybody) they visited this Night.

"The ritual is complete."

Time accelerated. One by one the remaining innocents withered to ash.

EuchreJack was Town. Roden was Town. Magma Mater was Town.

2-Shot Neighborizer (town):
(2-Shot, Night) Neighborize [target]: You possess a set of portable radios, which give you access to a private chat which may be used at any time while you still live. During the Night you may give another player one of these radios to give them equal access to this chat.
75% Cop (town):
(Auto) Unreliable: The spirits do not always show the true nature of things. 25% of the time, Inspect will return the opposite of the result it would have had. A town alignment will appear to be mafia and traitors - mafia and mafia-allies - will appear to be town.
(Night) Inspect [target]: You see through the eyes of the fallen spirits of this cursed realm and learn your target’s alignment.
Ninja Bodyguard (town):
(Auto) Ninja Training: Your stealthy garb and precision of movement ensure that Track and Follow abilities fail if used on you and Watch and Voyeur abilities do not detect you.
(Night) Protect [target]: You use your protective training to protect your target, preventing kill actions from killing them this Night. However, this has a cost - if you successfully save them from a kill, you die in their place.

Slowly, The Demon's puppets looked at one another, then at the shattered clock. Shattered time. The ritual was complete, but there were still other times in other worlds. There was more to do, wasn't there?

It was so tempting to stay and watch the beauty of the end, but they could not.

They knew they could not.

webadict was Mafia. ToonyMan was Mafia.

Concealed Busdriver (mafia):
(Night) Drive [target1/self][target2]: You sunder the world, altering casualty such that the targeting placed upon your first target and your second target is switched. You may affect yourself with this ability. Players whose targets are changed by this ability are deceived by your corruptive elements, and are not told that their targeting was changed.
Inventor (mafia):
(Night) Invent [self/target]: You give your target a cursed ability infused with demonic essence from your list of inventions - you may freely choose which one to give, but you cannot select the same one more than once. Additionally, you may choose to make an invention for yourself, and inventions will not appear in a death roleflip.

Quote from: Inventions Reference:
(1-Shot, Auto) Bulletproof: This hefty vest protects you from one kill action targeted at you.
(1-Shot, Night) Follow [target]: This spyglass allows you to discern the nature of your target’s activities, causing you to learn what category their action this Night occupied from the set of Investigative, Interference, Lethal, Other. If they perform no action, you receive a result of ‘Other’.
(1-Shot, Auto) Multitasking: This stimulant allows you to take one additional action during a Night of your choice, so long as that additional action does not target the same player or players as your first action.
(1-Shot, Auto) Strengthen: This lucky charm allows you to choose for your actions to be unaffected by action interference for one Night of your choice. For example: protection would not stop a kill you used, roleblocking you would do nothing, and redirection would not change your target.

Round Over. The mafia (webadict and ToonyMan) have won.

Game Over.

(Post-mortem incoming.)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R5, Day 2): Cherished Spark Of Hope
« Reply #2266 on: January 26, 2022, 01:01:45 pm »

Sorry, I forgot how unprepared I am for these quickfire Fallacy games, I'm always getting wiped out by work just as the game activity reaches it's peak.

Somebody said I'm not scum hunting, but I am, because I'm certain Toaster is scum and I've been pushing how his role isn't adding up. It's possible Web isn't voting because he wants to tie the vote. Or maybe he's a Mafia Ally and he gains nothing from bussing Toaster. Or Toaster could have the passive necessary to pull off alternative kills. Either way, we 100% need to have an overwhelming majority of votes to avoid ties. Please just vote Toaster, if I'm wrong then you're all free to yell at me post game.

@Roden: Promises must be fulfilled.
I believe Toaster and Max can join in, since the game is over.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality
« Reply #2267 on: January 26, 2022, 01:05:22 pm »

You could say this is redemption for our play on R4 at least.

Our mafia kill was a roleblock PLUS kill. So it made it look like we had 3 actions at night.

And it was multitasking...for some reason. That part is pretty OP in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:08:15 pm by ToonyMan »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: January 26, 2022, 01:10:44 pm »

FoU needs to post the Mafiakill to explain why the Mafia was busted.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: January 26, 2022, 01:21:08 pm »

Some comments before I post the setup:

Yes, the Mafia was much more powerful than average. Considering in the previous four rounds mafia won once and town won three times, I figured shifting things was reasonable enough.

Were they too powerful?

The balance was a little unreasonable, yes. But not by much. A lot of it came from the custom scum kill. Similar to the last three rounds, a lethal ability was created for the scum to use to kill. (Round 1 there was just a kill.) Round 2 had a lovers-effect granting ability, Round 3 was just a weaker kill honestly, and Round 4 was poisoning. I think if I just removed or limited the free-multitasking aspect of the kill, it would have been perfectly fine.

I think I also should have either improved Roden's accuracy (80% was another value I was considering), upped Magma's role to full Doctor, or both.

Jim just claiming his role was a factor I didn't consider, as well. Maybe if I made him a Miller or gave him Macho? Ah well.

What's up with webadict's role?

In the mod post that NJW linked, where I said by default players would be told if they were redirected, I also said that a variant ability could change that. webadict's role had a variant ability.

Was the town doomed to failure?

No.

Did the town lose because of the mafia's roles?

Also no. If anything the mafia's roles barely contributed.

Why did the town lose?

Because you lost your strongest players early on, the mafia played exceedingly well in the day game, and you kept mob-executing people including during MYLO.

Maximum Spin was so close to figuring out something was up with redirection thanks to catching Roden visiting webadict, but in the end he decided Roden was just lying instead.

Now, without further ado.

Spoiler: The Setup (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: January 26, 2022, 01:33:09 pm »

My initial instinct was to give Magma a radio. Maybe I should have done that.
@Magma: What do you think?

I gave too much agency to Toonyman in exchange for the stuff. It should have been my decision whether or not to reveal what I got.
Although, Mafia inventor giving out a Vest makes sense, since they know the won't be shooting that person and Bulletproof is a claim by scum to explain why they're not being killed.

Apparently, I'm a bit of a moron, hence becoming Mafia's chosen.
I should have known I was in trouble when Jim started complementing me. Jim as Town knows nothing.

I also know that I'm actually quite good at reading Toonyman. I was suspicious for meta reasons at various points.
I'm a little less sure I can read Web. While I suspected him Day 2, I had almost town cleared him Day 3.

@Roden: Please try to be a little less impulsive, regardless of your alignment. It would help a lot. It's a long game. Rushing it just means losing.

@Max: Good play overall. Next time you probably won't get a radio. While it was fun working together on a private chat, I think we could get similar results without.

@Toaster: Sorry for killing you. That was actually quite poor play on my part.

@NJW: Ditto.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: January 26, 2022, 01:41:01 pm »

Weighted heavily towards Mafia.
But hey, the last 4 rounds tended to weigh heavily toward Tow, including the practically unwinnable For Scum Round 2, so it's a fitting end.

By my calculations, NJW is our Winner. Roden is second place with Toonyman. I'll give Web Token Third as I bet he'd have gotten (at least) there if he'd played all the games.
The rest of us will form an orderly mob and Lynch Fallacy.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: January 26, 2022, 03:20:01 pm »

@Max: Good play overall. Next time you probably won't get a radio. While it was fun working together on a private chat, I think we could get similar results without.
I am completely sure that we could repeatedly get tricked into making bad decisions and jointly swing 100% of all lynches the wrong way with or without a private chat, yes.

Anyway, EuchreJack, don't be too hard on yourself, you really only have to take the blame for lynching NJW. Toaster, Roden, Magma, and I lost this game between ourselves, all making exactly the same mistake.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R5, Day 1): A Single Clock And The Cracking Seal
« Reply #2273 on: January 26, 2022, 03:26:31 pm »

ninja fruit vendor is a fakeclaim, it's a nonsense role.

NJW2000
I don't like the vote on Roden, and I don't like the vote on Toaster. I don't think that either make a lot of sense from your PoV if you're town.
Scumreading Roden especially is... you're supposedly a miller, how do you not town-read the cop claim??
fucking finally someone gets it

NJW2000, someone break the tie, plz

Eh, I can congratulate Web for NJW's Lynch.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: January 26, 2022, 05:19:57 pm »

Well. I threw hard. I don't think it's entirely fair to change up what was established with redirects AND make it undetectable, but I think we still lose this game regardless. The power vacuum between town and mafia was kinda massive, with town having three negative utility roles and two protective roles with drawbacks, while mafia had two extremely powerful roles with Multitasking and varied kill methods. A Concealed Bus Driver and the Demon kill method  means that multiple times that town's low power couldn't be trusted, but we had no idea our results couldn't be trusted, which became even worse when we had essentially two Millers as well as a Cop check that didn't tell me anything useful.

It's fine that the game wasn't mech solvable but I feel like we should've been told ahead of time that the game would have bastard elements. Knowing that changes your mindset around solving and doesn't default your thinking to "our results contradict each other so the other person has to be lying". Because as it was Toony or Web could have literally scum claimed and I'd be more likely to think they're Jester. Like the entire time Max kept saying I was lying about who I targeted, something felt off about it but I didn't have any reason to think he himself wasn't lying due to what was established. He had every reason to think I was lying as well and even thought I was scum after the hammer just because nothing else made sense to him and he had no reason to think he couldn't trust his results.

Still, GG to Toony and Web, you guys got your second chance and took revenge.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: January 26, 2022, 05:34:14 pm »

The Toaster elim was 100% me throwing though since we almost voted out Web instead. That one really bothers me...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: January 26, 2022, 05:39:25 pm »

The Toaster elim was 100% me throwing though since we almost voted out Web instead. That one really bothers me...
Yeah, I definitely thought I was dead there, especially because I was typing a reply... And then fell asleep, so I never posted it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: January 26, 2022, 06:17:54 pm »

I was sweating, trust me. Especially when Jim was pushing for Web and Jack joined them.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: January 26, 2022, 07:08:37 pm »

GG all, it's been fun playing with you these five games. Thanks to everyone for putting up with me (largely referring to third round here), and for putting their time and effort into this.

Tbh not much to say about that last game, I will reread it but haven't yet. Don't be too hard on yourself for lynching the miller, that was partially me second-guessing the setup incorrectly by taking a lighter risk earlier in the game, rather than risking being copped and having to self-vote to protect the cop role. Thanks to FoU for running all this. If there's a moral of the last couple of games, it's that town needs to rely on more than mechanical analysis. See y'all in future games!
One wheel short of a wagon

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: January 26, 2022, 09:14:50 pm »

Setup was very scum-sided. Honestly, all-vanilla would have been better for town. That said, the scum played well and might have won even in a more town-sided setup.

@Jack if you had neighborized me n1, I think the game would have gone a lot differently. I had a strong town-read on you d2 and if we had a channel together it's very possible we'd've gotten around to agreeing on either web or Toony.
Although that's just speculation... it's nice to believe things would have gone better if we had done things slightly differently.   :P
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153