Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 105642 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R3, Day 5): Truly Tired Triad
« Reply #1140 on: November 01, 2021, 01:19:45 pm »

... ToonyMan Let the chips fall where they may. Also Shoot Vector Tonight. The main issue here is the whole Copsensor thing. If you are mafia vector, this trick won't ever work again.
The game is over now Tric. You can't shoot Vector tonight even if you wanted to, that's how being endgame'd works.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 01, 2021, 01:22:45 pm »

*extends both middle fingers*

That's hammer. eat shit webby ':V
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 01, 2021, 01:37:10 pm »

I was wondering why you killed me when I made myself look scummy as fuck at the end of Day 2 on purpose.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 01, 2021, 01:38:01 pm »

Alos, why did the Mafia get gimped so hard?!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 01, 2021, 01:42:27 pm »

I'm not a very good partner.

I considered Vector as the normal sane choice for N2, but I didn't think it would be as fun. Oh well. D3 would have been me, Tric, Web, Roden, and NJW. I could almost guarantee we would have been able to get a mislynch on Roden or NJW for game.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 01, 2021, 01:48:24 pm »

I was a Role Cop that could only kill every other night. I had multi-tasking and a strongkill but it didn't matter at all. I was basically fucked on my own.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 01, 2021, 01:58:45 pm »

Yeah, apologies for some of my play, there were some very poor days there. The game should certainly have ended a day sooner, and Roden ended up having quite an upsetting time of it because I missed something.

MVP to Vector for scumreading Toony hard D3 and then dealing with all the nonsense I introduced into the game with my panic about a 2-player mafia and not understanding my ability.

Quote from: Toonyman
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I did wonder briefly if that happened - I assumed Vector must have been wrong about the "communication in thread" thing otherwise, but their case seemed very tight. I didn't really think you were mafia, I just wanted to interact with someone I didn't think I'd ever manage to read without mechanical info.

I would like to know the extent to which you two were actually communicating in-thread, if you don't mind telling us.

It was very weird that my ability had four major weaknesses (captain control, no self-target, no causing self-targets, not being told about some failures) but then this one very specific strength in that if one mafia targets their ally they kill their ally through the protection and instantly out themselves to me. So Toony kinda stepped on a mine there, no real way he could have seen it coming. In fact, I struggled to see it coming after it happened. Don't know enought to speculate on the game balance more generally, but it looked like you had a pretty hard job.
One wheel short of a wagon

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 01, 2021, 02:06:54 pm »

I would like to know the extent to which you two were actually communicating in-thread, if you don't mind telling us.

I realized Web was trying to do something here in this post. He italicized some words, notably "alignment" and "scumbuddies" at the bottom. Web is a crafty player though, so I was worried he was town trying to find the mafia by pretending to be an ally. So I only responded vaguely and jokingly. I shouldn't have bothered to respond in any way and just kept it to myself without contacting him, since as Vector has shown it can look pretty incriminating.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 01, 2021, 02:19:00 pm »

I was a Role Cop that could only kill every other night. I had multi-tasking and a strongkill but it didn't matter at all. I was basically fucked on my own.
... What. That's so BAD. But WHY?!

I was actually ready to claim blocking you on a mafiakill the following Night, so we would be able to win. I actually thought I was wrong after that because I assumed NJW had killed me, but that would take a coordinated effort. It's possible you would've turned on me at that point, but I'd probably accept it.

This game was stacked against us hard, and we almost won.

Also, wtf Tric?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 01, 2021, 02:20:39 pm »

I put my faith in Toony day 1. It was very misplaced.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 01, 2021, 02:25:02 pm »

We weren't. That was an assumption by Vector. I left clues because I didn't want to die by the nightkill! I was actually trying to pretend I was fake Mafia, so I could off myself if things looked bad for the real Mafia.

The only reason I thought it was Toony is because he claimed Gunsmith and didn't change his role claim the following Day. As Town, he would've lied about the first role. Also, it was the only role that didn't really fit in (either that and/or the Deflector were Mafia, which I referenced in another post to Toony.)

If anything, I was actually roleplaying as Survivor. The goal was to be super Townie but also not TOO Townie so I could throw down at Lylo.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 01, 2021, 02:37:58 pm »

Gunsmith was an easy fakeclaim since I could just Role Cop people. I guess it also made me look more like an ally and not the real mafia.

Tric's ability was extremely good and I wanted to kill him at night, but I wanted to wait until N2 since he wouldn't have useful info until then. Unfortunately, Tric was lying about their role and actually cleared Max and Vector on N1 alone. That was the best case scenario for him to only find two town and not any of the scum, but it was still extremely powerful and difficult to deal with. It was smart of him to lie about how his role worked, as otherwise I would have tried to kill him N1. After that there was no point in killing him anymore.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 01, 2021, 02:52:49 pm »

I was honestly shocked that NJW2k wasn't mafia. I thought him and Toonyman were the team (and they were just busing each other) right up until he died. The major wrong assumption I had was that the setup wouldn't be so, uh, bad as to only have one severely gimped member. Toonyman and webadict as actual scum seems like it would have worked better, but webadict was too obviously an ally.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R3, Day 1): March of the Gladiators
« Reply #1153 on: November 01, 2021, 04:31:09 pm »

I am wayward Cassandra, o woe is me!
I think this is the most fitting quote for me this game.

While, yes, I definitely left a million clues for what I was, I also wasn't extraordinarily out of my Town meta. The only bad execution I made was actually EuchreJack, since I was about 85% sure they were Town. MaximumSpin I would've absolutely gone for as Town, especially because it absolutely felt like Vector was scum trying to cover for them. Heck, Vector cherry-picked some quotes that were absolutely NOT intended to send a message and left out quotes that condemned them as well. I left a lot of little remarks that could've easily been used against Vector, for that matter.

Oh, also, the reason I had everyone target me on N1 was to figure out who was scum. It didn't matter if Vector handed out an invention or not. In fact, I assumed Vector wouldn't give me an invention either way, and that was more of a way to incriminate them if they were Town. Unfortunately, I actually figured they might've been scum at the end of Day 2, so I set up the actions so that they'd have a chance to turn things around (Since I'd claim the RB on them) if they were scum, but ALSO on the off-chance that ToonyMan and someone else was scum.

However, my calculations were majorly destroyed by... SO MANY FACTORS. If I had been Mafia, like actually Mafia, the game still would've been difficult to win. I think the only reason it was as close as it was was because TricMagic was so thoroughly convinced ToonyMan was Town. Without that, we should've lost on Day 3. Hold on, let me list the ways the game was heavily tilted towards Town:

1.) The Mafia role. That's pretty easy to see. Every other Night killer?? One unknown teammate?? A Role Cop?? All of that is super duper Town favored.
2.) The Deflector. Not because of its deflection abilities, but because redirection NOTIFIES THE TARGET. That means that the Cops are essentially 100% truthful. That means that the Deflector's ability is confirmable.
3.) The Parity Cop. H-O-L-Y cow. A PARITY COP WITH ONE MAFIA?!? That's fucking nuts. Like, 1-shot on Night 1 where the MAFIA HAS NO KILLS/REDIRECTIONS/ROLEBLOCKS?! What could the Mafia DO against that?!? Since Deflections would notify the target, there's nothing I could've done to skew the results. Those results were a guaranteed part of the game. IT ALSO DOESN'T WORK IF THE TARGET DIES, BUT THE TARGET COULDN'T DIE ON N1?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!? I have no further words.
4.) The Captain role. This isn't about the role itself. It had a lot of power in it. The problem is two-fold: First, I had no idea what the roles under me were capable of. That, on its own, wasn't too bad. I could reasonably infer what they did for the most part. The second, though, is that when I die, ALL OF THOSE ROLES ARE CONFIRMED TO BE IN THE GAME.
5.) The Inventor had A BULLETPROOF VEST FOR AN EVERY OTHER NIGHT KILLER. WHAT. Sure, it's offset by being 50%, but that mostly makes the role feel super bad as opposed to making the role balanced.
6.) The Commuter. We got super lucky that Maximum Spin didn't explain what happened well. Had they said what actually happened, we would've had an essentially unkillable Townie.
7.) The Bodyguard. Combining this with the Parity Cop also would've made this game pretty broken.
8.) The Mafia-Ally. Why was the Mafia-Ally even in the game? If I were Mafia with all of the other factors, that might be a bit better. We could've worked together a lot better, even with a kill on every other Night. It still would've been Town-sided, but at least there would've been tools at our disposal. If the single Mafia had been executed Day 1, I would've lost!

Hoo boy, that's a tough game to win...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 01, 2021, 04:47:40 pm »

I had a strongkill that would circumvent protection, but only on even nights. I was multi-tasking on odd nights (so I could...role cop and kill someone unless Vector gave me something) and a strongman on even nights. That's another reason I chose not to kill on N1 since I wanted the strongkill for Tric on N2, which still would have lost to NJW's deflection. I also thought Roden was just a Jailkeeper so it would have made Roden suspicious if their protection target still died.

Basically I had a choice at the start of the game to be a multi-tasking rolecop/killer on odd nights or a strongman killer on even nights. The latter sounded more desirable.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 153