Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 105425 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R3, Day 1): March of the Gladiators
« Reply #765 on: October 18, 2021, 02:47:12 pm »

If we have a Town Vigilante who can only kill if given orders by a Captain, I would humbly suggest Not Killing, as knowing our devious GM FallacyofUrist, pulling that string by a Mafia Captain might be the mafia's only NK.

Also, we should consider with 8 players that the mafia team might be more than 2 mafia.  Maybe not 3 full mafia, but probably a 3rd player that can win with mafia somehow.  We won't know until it is over.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 18, 2021, 02:57:47 pm »

I think that would be overkill if mafia had a third member tbh. Even with a Traitor/Ally, that would be a bit much.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 18, 2021, 03:02:00 pm »

@Max: What are your thoughts on the Captain situation? Do you believe Web is going to die tonight?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 18, 2021, 03:27:51 pm »

You should probably protect Toony Jack, I'm not that valuable to the endgame. So proved last round, if not the first. (The chances of me dying N1 seem slim. I don't remember the last time it happened. I'm just too lynchable.)

I'm of the opinion that the push on web was led by Mafia right now. Otherwise a hammer could have been all too easy. Especially if it was Vector. So a Vector/Max team today.
Eh, you won at least one endgame for town without Toonyman (Roguelike mafia), and you're a Parity Cop, which means after you inspect me, and I flip town upon death, you graduate Police Academy and become a Real Cop.  So you're actually more useful than Toonyman on N2.  Roden should know by their N2 orders and the N2 kill whether their captain is town or mafia, so the survival of both you and Toonyman till N2 is critical.
Hey, I was there for the endgame of Roguelike 6.

If we have a Town Vigilante who can only kill if given orders by a Captain, I would humbly suggest Not Killing, as knowing our devious GM FallacyofUrist, pulling that string by a Mafia Captain might be the mafia's only NK.

Also, we should consider with 8 players that the mafia team might be more than 2 mafia.  Maybe not 3 full mafia, but probably a 3rd player that can win with mafia somehow.  We won't know until it is over.
There's no way it's 3 mafia. Even two mafia plus ally seems like too much.

I'm going to be away for most of tomorrow so if we extend the day by 24 hours I'm not going to be very available until probably only a few hours before the deadline.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 18, 2021, 03:31:38 pm »

and you stuck a vote on Web as a joke
No, no, I stuck a vote on Web because I wanted to vote for him. Then I made a joke about it. These are different things.

Max seems to be someone who likes people to read them carefully, see Kurt Cobain reference somewhere above.
I don't think reading into things and reading something carefully mean the same thing. The Kurt Cobain reference is absolutely a good example of this: while it did need to be read carefully, it also was not meant, and nobody seems to have taken it, as a signal of any deeper meaning or reasoning than a quick throwaway joke. Also, I am only one person.

@Max: What are your thoughts on the Captain situation? Do you believe Web is going to die tonight?
I have no opinion on the second question. I don't generally go around believing things. Regarding the captain: I'm not convinced that there is one. If there is one, either the two, uh, becaptained individuals are probably mafia, or the captain is, or both. If there isn't one, then they definitely are. Frankly, it could easily be a claim intended to generate suspicion, like it clearly did with TM, who instantly concluded that I must be the captain for... some... reason.

Hi, I'd like to ask for an extension of 24 hours due to RL. Check my post history if you need deets.

Sorry for the crappy posting y'all. I want to get some substantial posts out today but I'm not feeling, shall we say, very well.
Extending would really suck for me but it's whatever. Although I couldn't find anything that looked like a reason. It's not like there really needs to be a reason anyway, but you did say there was a reason, so if you want people to know the reason could you elaborate?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 18, 2021, 03:34:03 pm »

NJW2000, because townreading Roden is outside of your meta.  Plus, following your advice.  :P
Do you believe NJW is unnaturally townreading Roden after playing 3 rounds in a row with them?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 18, 2021, 04:07:41 pm »

NJW2000, because townreading Roden is outside of your meta.  Plus, following your advice.  :P
Do you believe NJW is unnaturally townreading Roden after playing 3 rounds in a row with them?
Yes.  I actually thought most of NJW's reads were nonsense, but the townreading of Roden was unnatural, whereas the remainder seemed more typical NJW.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 18, 2021, 04:09:55 pm »

Good. Now that there's pressure, use it by asking a question.

A reminder, claimed parity cop. NJW, what is this nonsense?
It looks like an OMGUS bandwagon vote.

Oh, OK, you were referring to my post. Well, you claimed a highly useful cop role that requires town to not lynch you and spend a great deal of resources keeping you alive at night. If you're town, this was just bad play, making yourself an obvious target for mafia as well as letting them know they have at least two nights to deal with the threat. Makes much more sense as mafia, as it gives you a claim you don't even have to give town info from for two days, as well as drawing town protection powers.

Also your contributions thus far have been "mafia must be on this bandwagon because they didn't hammer" and scumhunting the most obvious players. And then voting me for... voting you. So yeah, I think you're mafia.

And if you think I'm going to lynch within a particular three group of players just because you want me to... no  :P

Extension's fine by me.
One wheel short of a wagon

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 18, 2021, 04:11:47 pm »

---
@NJW2000: What is the point with these questions?
Starting discussion. Why, didn't want to answer yours?

A bit suspicious that NJW2000 hasn't voted yet.  They usually throw one out by now...
I can't tell if you're genuinely trying to make me feel under pressure, but put that in red if you actually want to do that.

UNspoiler=readslist

EuchreJack: has claimed bodyguard, a bit hyper, steady engagement, using the gambler's fallacy... with EJ all signs point toTown.

Roden: active, claimed their role and its restrictions promptly which mafia might not want to do, lean town
Claimed controlled by captain, but NJW didn't think this worth repeating?!-EJ

Webadict: a load of random toss, but shying away from any real explicit claims in favour of "ah but I could be lying to draw the lynch". If they're scum, they can't be on particularly good terms with their scumbuddy, but hey. Null read.

Toonyman: strong engagement with the game. I don't know their scum game but imagine it's pretty powerful from their performance this tournament, so all this indicates is null.

Vector: only two posts with content, doesn't respond to questions, random votes, standard Vector D1. Throwing three votes in three posts feels a bit odd. Weak lean scum

MaximumSpin:
Apparently doesn't think you really find scum D1, actions reflect that belief. Asking if Toony reads into things a lot is a bit dubious, because a) we're playing mafia and b) Max seems to be someone who likes people to read them carefully, see Kurt Cobain reference somewhere above. Lean scum.

TricMagic: claimed parity cop D1, going after easy targets of Web and Max, claimed parity cop D1,  claimsthinks mafia might do a no-warning hammer D1, did I mention that they claimed parity cop D1? Even for Tric's early-claim meta, that claim cannot be townie. Scum

Also, pretty sure someone is lying about the captain thing.

TricMagic, for reasons stated in readslist.

Perhaps this showcases the inconsistencies.  I unspoilered the Reads List of NJW, underlined the contradiction, and threw in a comment.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 18, 2021, 04:14:37 pm »

Good. Now that there's pressure, use it by asking a question.

Ah, I'm gonna miss that condescending tone when you're lynched.  Too bad we don't have a dead chat to continue our discussions.  Eh, its a luxury.

Question: Why townread Roden even though Roden is "one of the two" discussing being under a Captain's thumb?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 18, 2021, 04:59:23 pm »

Likewise, one of the first things he says after that, he's not the captain.

Also, if you were paying attention NJW, I did that because I figured two cops with with our abilities makes sense to work together. We can't just nail Mafia to the wall like a normal cop, we are a bit slower. And sense Toony claimed first, I figure he's town. And if I'm town, that also Toony is town to you guys. Funny how you didn't even bother to make that connection, my death means toony is town, ergo one doesn't need to use protection for me, they can protect him instead. Cause the moment I'm nightkilled Toony is cleared. And if he says someone does or doesn't have a gun, that's enough to believe him.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 18, 2021, 05:15:21 pm »

OK, so Tric is town and Web is a dumbass, what's new ... Unvote.

I think I'd like to see more from MaximumSpin and NJW. I agree with that vibe.
A dumbass townie.

Although to be fair Web feels like they're lying out of their ass which mucks things up, but whatever.
I lie about a lot of things because I'm actually sending secret messages to the captain.

@Webadict:
please kill me
Is name calling really necessary, Netfanatic? You think you're so good you can prophesize the mafia team without doing any work?
... Yes? Is that not believable?

Okay, you got me. It's possible that one of the two I said is incorrect, and if I had to guess it's probably Vector, but that's also why I figured I'd ignore Vector mostly because pushing them is no good. We can always vote to launch Vector if they don't participate or with more info. Also, the fact that they claimed a captain ability makes me more hesitant.

TricMagic: claimed parity cop D1, going after easy targets of Web and Max, claimed parity cop D1,  claimsthinks mafia might do a no-warning hammer D1, did I mention that they claimed parity cop D1? Even for Tric's early-claim meta, that claim cannot be townie. Scum

TricMagic, for reasons stated in readslist.
Pick again. It's not Tric.

Webadict: a load of random toss, but shying away from any real explicit claims in favour of "ah but I could be lying to draw the lynch". If they're scum, they can't be on particularly good terms with their scumbuddy, but hey. Null read.
It's pretty easy to do whatever you want when you're not constrained by things like alignment or scumbuddies. I'm free as Town.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 18, 2021, 05:25:21 pm »

Extending would really suck for me but it's whatever. Although I couldn't find anything that looked like a reason. It's not like there really needs to be a reason anyway, but you did say there was a reason, so if you want people to know the reason could you elaborate?

I have PTSD diagnosed by a psychiatrist who spent 17 years working with the military. Last night and this morning I had an event. I'm in physical pain from clenched muscles and not able to pull together thoughts yet in the way that I usually do, and I need some time to settle my nerves and figure out what exactly I missed.

I don't really *want* people to know the reason per se, it's pretty embarrassing to have a disability like this. But it's common knowledge on some level in the subforum, so there you are.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 18, 2021, 05:33:03 pm »

I don't really *want* people to know the reason per se, it's pretty embarrassing to have a disability like this. But it's common knowledge on some level in the subforum, so there you are.
Well, you certainly didn't have to explain, I wasn't about to push. But I do appreciate being told, thank you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 18, 2021, 09:03:49 pm »

Alright, let me try to organize my thoughts since I'll be driving for 13 hours tomorrow and won't have time to post until day end if the extension happens, which it should.

I also agree with the extension.

*cracks knuckles*

@Jack:
Yes.  I actually thought most of NJW's reads were nonsense, but the townreading of Roden was unnatural, whereas the remainder seemed more typical NJW.
I think their read of Roden is accurate and surprisingly unstubborn of NJW. I'm not sure if a mafia!NJW would try to stand out like that.

I think NJW's read of Tric is ass, which does not appear to be an uncommon opinion either. Town!Tric would absolutely claim Parity Cop immediately. To add to that, I agree with Tric's suspicion of Maximum Spin and also that the Web wagon likely has mafia on it. I think it's possible NJW is mafia, but it's not a first pick at all.

@NJW:
stuff
You're a logical person, yes? There is no good reason to lynch one of our cops on D1. If Tric is telling the truth we have a good, mechanical source of info. Even if Tric is bullshitting we'll be able to figure it out down the line. There's even two cop claims so we'll likely draw the fire from mafia and it should make it bleedingly obvious whether this captain player is working with town or not too.

@Tric:
Likewise, one of the first things he says after that, he's not the captain.

Also, if you were paying attention NJW, I did that because I figured two cops with with our abilities makes sense to work together. We can't just nail Mafia to the wall like a normal cop, we are a bit slower. And sense Toony claimed first, I figure he's town. And if I'm town, that also Toony is town to you guys. Funny how you didn't even bother to make that connection, my death means toony is town, ergo one doesn't need to use protection for me, they can protect him instead. Cause the moment I'm nightkilled Toony is cleared. And if he says someone does or doesn't have a gun, that's enough to believe him.
Tric.

The trust is appreciated, however do not make hard claims like this. If you're killed and flip town that doesn't clear me. If I'm killed and flip town that doesn't clear you. I also don't see why you think I would be a target over yourself, as your ability is mechanically way more solid once you have at least two results. Although I suppose we've at least applied pressure on the mafia to kill us first.

@Webadict:
Although to be fair Web feels like they're lying out of their ass which mucks things up, but whatever.
I lie about a lot of things because I'm actually sending secret messages to the captain.
...Sure, got it.

Reads

I think Jack is eager to kill NJW and Maximum Spin is eager to kill Webadict, both for questionable reasons.

Therefore I see NJW and Web in a better light than my last reads, besides getting a better feel from Web after rereading.

Vector is still an unknown, but even if they're mafia I don't feel comfortable pursuing that today and it's not like we still can't hit mafia.

Town
Tric
Roden

Townlean
Web
NJW

Null
Vector

Scum
Jack
Maximum Spin
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 153