Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 105411 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R1, Day 3): Four Wary Glances (4/7)
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2021, 07:22:03 pm »

(.... given it's nighttime. How did that get posted?)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2021, 08:12:33 pm »

I am at my job working, Tric.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2021, 08:17:25 pm »

Not huge on the no-lynching suggestion... hm.

In the scenario in which we do that, I have to delay Vector again, which I assume would work - kills take place after delays, so presumably delayed kills do too, letting me get a delay in before the mafiakill hits. I don't think I can delay the same action twice - it would be a hilarious stalemate if I could infinitely delay the mafiakill - so if Vector is mafia I'd likely die this night, or possibly Tric would. Else if Vector is not mafia, and mafia none'd or targeted a bulletproof last night, then someone would probably die tonight - there are reasons for this to be me or Vector, but could be someone else. In any case that lets us lynch someone the next day at LYLO. This however we'd have to get completely correct, and I'm not sure we'd have enough info to do that. I might well be nightkilled, and I think the remaining trio would be pretty volatile. On the other hand, if we lynch Vector today and they flip town then I have another shot at delaying the mafia and lynching them tomorrow, as I've explained. That seems to be better odds, and I'm quite confident Vector is mafia given Toony and Roden's claims and the fact the kill didn't happen last night.

So, in conclusion, yeah, I'm going to vote Vector so I don't forget to do so in the remainder of the day. Feel free to hammer, Roden, if you're scum - you'll out yourself pretty hard, and I have a delay power  :P  Otherwise let's leave the thread open for conversation please, there is a fair bit of time left in the day.

I'll read through Tric's latest stuff properly at some point, but I'm mostly focused on mechanical now.
One wheel short of a wagon

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2021, 10:18:46 pm »

PS: A good reason to check Roden over Tric is because of the [Roden, Metruption] contains a likely scum scenario. It wasn't Metruption so it's better to just ... go ahead and check.

Next: folks who are asking me why I didn't check Tric, are you kidding me? Tric and I were mechanically confirmed townies in a game together and we lost. Confirming Roden's role is much more valuable for town because a confirmed bulletproof townie can eat an NK after being confirmed.

Based on playstyle I don't think it's NJW, so I'm voting for TricMagic.
I'm confused. Why would knowing my role confirm my alignment? Why not check Jack, who was the opposing wagon? Why would you be uncertain about my alignment anyway when I was off the town wagon?

Pretty sure I'm gonna hammer Vector because these answers don't sound like they come from a town mindset, but I want to let them argue their case first.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2021, 11:26:08 pm »

Your role only doesn't confirm your alignment if there's a town shooter, which apparently there isn't.

I play according to old B12 rules (I do what I want with my PR), not MafiaUniverse "use the other wagon" rules. I wanted to check you because I thought that you were playing softly and passively for a townie and

Being off a town wagon doesn't confirm you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2021, 12:04:17 am »

I think doing what you want over doing what would get you confirmed as town just cost us the game then, if you're town.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2021, 12:58:31 am »

I think doing what you want over doing what would get you confirmed as town just cost us the game then, if you're town.

9_9

Sour grapes, my dude. If you hammer me and you don't like the result, that's seriously a you problem.

If you wanna point fingers, why not tell Metruption to play better? Not that I thought they did badly, but I'm not taking sole responsibility for the outcome of the game based on my N1 action.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 05, 2021, 01:08:51 am »

Then give us a case on why it isn't you.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2021, 06:17:07 am »

Vector

Sorry, I don't want to do a final three scenario. If Vector flips green then it's my bad. If they're town, then if Tric is scum we actually still win because NJW can Delay him. If NJW is scum then I don't think he loses in a final three scenario anyway. So I don't really have a reason not to hammer here.

I did reread the game before voting, and I'm kinda paranoid NJW actually is scum since Vector scum read Jack while NJW town read Jack. But Vector is pushing Tric instead, which is just weird to me since I think they could've made a legitimate case against NJW. Plus I think Rolecop makes more sense for the scum team than a Delayer would since they already had a Roleblocker.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2021, 11:19:17 am »

Quote from: Votecount
Roden (0):
TricMagic (1): Vector
NJW2000 (0):
Vector (3): TricMagic, NJW2000, Roden

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (0):
3 to hammer.

Of the four, it was decided that there was an odd one out - Vector. They laughed nervously - but the end was swift enough. In the open they had no chance.

But there was more than enough time to go through their belongings - something that, ironically, Vector probably specialized in.

Vector was Mafia.

Role Cop (mafia):
(Night) Investigate [target]: You rummage through and examine the target player’s private room, and learn their complete role, not including alignment.

The remaining three - TricMagic, NJW2000, and Roden breathed collective sighs of relief. Judging by Vector's radio and the codebook they had stashed, they were unlikely to have had any partners. Slowly, they provided this proof to the WUBA-Inc administration, and - a clock chimed just as the doors to the hotel opened.

Round 1 has ended! Town won, and as such, ToonyMan, Roden, TricMagic, NJW2000, and Metruption all gain 1 Victory Point!

But the game had not yet come to a close, time still spun and threaded back in on itself - and soon, it would coalesce into yet another scenario, another iteration of a deadly, never-ending trap...

New roles will be designed, then sent out at midnight, at which point Round 2 will begin.

All players may now post freely in the thread until the next Round of the game starts. I'll go ahead and post the Round summary in a bit - roles and actions and the mafiachat and all that - but I'll have to note that until the end of the whole game, I won't be commenting on the setup design, because my comments could be used explicitly or implicitly as part of arguments and I don't want to influence the game like that.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R1, Round Over): One Final Discovery
« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2021, 11:32:40 am »

lol I'm a god

Good shit town, although I do feel bad that the mafia were busy this round.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 11:38:12 am by ToonyMan »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2021, 11:50:36 am »

Yeah, mafia being busy kinda screwed them over. Major issue is the Role Cop ruse got used twiceover in a game with cop and doctor already outed.

Any comments on my logic(chess) at the end? Always fun to get a chance to do those.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2021, 12:03:47 pm »

Yeah, mafia being busy kinda screwed them over. Major issue is the Role Cop ruse got used twiceover in a game with cop and doctor already outed.

Any comments on my logic(chess) at the end? Always fun to get a chance to do those.
It was good. I also wish Investigations 3 was real.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 05, 2021, 12:39:50 pm »

GG. Sorry about voting to lynch you day one, @Metruption - I react quite badly to town gambits, it's something I'm still learning to deal with.

Thanks for running the setup, @FoU, and sorry about posting after the day ended D2 - I genuinely thought town had lost. Looking forward to the next game!
One wheel short of a wagon

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 05, 2021, 01:04:22 pm »

@NJW:
Were you able to delay every night? That seemed suspicious to me considering the rest of town had nerfed powers.

In fact, the rest of town wasn't able to make use of any of their powers.

Met wasn't able to cop anyone.
I wasn't able to protect anyone.
Roden nobody attempted to kill.
Tric was never targeted.

That goes to show you can still find success without town PRs.

Because let's be real, me as an Even Night Doctor is never going to protect anyone as that involves:

1. Not being the N1 or N2 nightkill target
2. Not being lynched D1 or D2
3. Correctly guessing the N2 kill target

So if I was alive for N2 I was just going to protect Tric regardless of whether I thought they would be the kill target or not, if they were targeted for the kill that would have been even better for town, if they weren't then we can still confirm each other didn't perform the kill since Tric will claim I targeted him first.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 153