Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 105893 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R2, Day 2): Searching In The Light
« Reply #510 on: October 11, 2021, 02:02:46 pm »

@Toonyman: How much leeway do you have on your ability's day use? I mean, could you submit it after the vote? Otherwise my plan has the flaw that it creates a snipe hunt, wherein mafia could put in their vote 2 seconds before the deadline.
I can't submit a day action after the day elimination, the day is officially over when that happens.

Vector claims ascetic, but I don't know how that would interact with a watcher.

I have multiple reasons to believe Tric is not mafia based on their behavior. I can try to list these reasons tonight. I also want to go into the psyche of Jack and NJW.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 11, 2021, 02:37:10 pm »

@NJW: Do you know if a watcher sees an Ascetic that visits another player?
I assume so as I'm not targeting the ascetic, I'm targeting the visited player.

I'd also like to note here that, as people have probably guessed, my watcher action has what you *might* call certain restrictions. At present, I'm going to withhold information on what they are for strategic reasons, but will claim these if it becomes necessary.
One wheel short of a wagon

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 11, 2021, 03:01:42 pm »

As for Vector. He's NKable.

I'm not a he, so knock it off.

Suspicious that Vector would say:
I'm an ascetic with some restrictions. For example, I'm NKable.
Since the definitions provided on mafia wiki explicitly state that an ascetic can be night killed.  But maybe I just missed 10 years ago when ascetic was created and it was immune to the NK.

Huh, I didn't know. I assumed that because my rolename is "limited ascetic" that it was non-standard. I'm also daykillable of course :)

Anyway: my role has an actual twist/restriction, which I... guess I will share now. If my ascetic auto triggers then I stop being an ascetic for a cycle of day + night. I also won't be informed about whether the auto is on or off. So actions you take on me may or may not succeed, idk ;_;

@Vector: Are you still voting NJW2000?

Oops, Unvote. Roden, you around?

Nice try Vector, but I'm not taking the scum bait.  I'm heavily scum reading you for this.  If anyone else thinks the scum team might be Tric and myself, I'd love to hear the explanation.

You're heavily scum reading me for what exactly?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 11, 2021, 09:23:24 pm »

@Vector: I found this to be scummy.
Euchrejack has been freaking out a lot any time that people suggest that the scumteam is EJ/Tric. Also self-voting which is just... extremely fucked up if they're a town doctor/roleblocker.

The reason I find this to be scummy is that it pushes me towards trying to deny the possibility of the EJ/Tric scumteam, which proves that "EuchreJack has been freaking out a lot any time people suggest that the scumteam is EJ/Tric".  I feel you were trying to bait me into looking bad.

Now, should I try to point out the insane troll logic that you used to try to explain the scum team as EJ/Tric, I instead prove that I'm the scumbag.  And that makes you the scumbag.

But, let's explore that, since I'm not just shooting my mouth off here.  So, NJW watched both myself and Tric visit Toonyman.  Both Tric and myself admitted to visiting Toonyman.  Toonyman is still alive, albeit is now infected with a delayed mutual annihilation ability with Tric.  Essentially, if the scumteam had a working N1 nightkill (which I dunno, maybe they didn't), how exactly is Toonyman still alive if the scumteam is EJ/Tric!?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 11, 2021, 09:25:50 pm »

...also, have I really only been freaking out on that one thing?
I *think* I've been freaking out about a lot of things.  In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of my play has been "freaking out".  I'm not proud of it, but I own it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 11, 2021, 09:28:20 pm »

@Vector: Why are you voting Roden? I mean, I don't mind, since it feeds into my strategy of a tie leading to a no-lynch, but I'd like to hear the logic that lead to your vote.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 11, 2021, 10:01:15 pm »

Why Tric doesn't have the mentality of a mafia player:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tric votes me on D1 after learning my daykill only goes off at the end of the day, seems completely okay with going down if it means solidifying their suspicions.

Tric ties the votes at the end of D1, putting me in a position where I need to vote Tric or NJW for a lynch to occur.

Tric admits he kinda lied about how his redirector ability works, which is completely in town!Tric's meta to do so. I'm not too happy that announce the lover effect here, but it does confirm they are aware of the lover thing at least as I had not specifically stated what had afflicted me at this point. I think Tric is being honest here.

Some other things:

I think some of Jack's behavior this round has SCREAMED their past town self, which makes me unwilling to vote them. The problem is that I don't think NJW is lying either, so...what the fuck happened? Currently between NJW and Jack I would in fact vote Jack over NJW just purely based on mechanical knowledge as NJW is definitely some kind of watcher while Jack is unknown and should have been the top kill target last night.

Jack being mafia also pisses me off because I think their most likely partner is Vector, which is the exact same team as the last round. I guess Roden would be the second most likely, but that just makes me more upset.

Not really feeling Met anymore from what they've said Day 2. Look at the part I highlighted in bold:
This is supposed to be mostly vanilla but it seems like a lot of the high impact roles this setup are bastard. Also, the fact everyone has a power role makes this so scumsided because people are too busy trying to figure out what happened instead of just catching scum. Whoever voted to save me is absolutely town because scum would just pretend to be afk and take a free yeet.

I'm still not confirmable tonight by tracker.
This statement I believe would be very difficult for a mafia player to find the mindset for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 11, 2021, 10:44:34 pm »

@Toony so you're proposing a team from me, Roden, and NJW?

@Euchre: You're wrong about my motivation for pointing out your flailing. I'll leave it at that.

I'm voting Roden because they're lurking and under the circumstances of everything going to shit like it just did, I'm surprised they haven't had more to say. Have they even posted Today?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 11, 2021, 10:55:13 pm »

We all should vote FallacyofUrist, obviously.

Toonyman, mechanically there is absolutely no way that I can prove to you that I am a jailkeeper.  You have to find another player that you cleared with an active ability with one charge remaining (so apparently not Tric, who used his only charge).  I could jailkeeper NJW, and then they would know I'm telling the truth, but that hardly helps you.  And with the mutual suicide bomb attached to you and Tric, I don't think we can afford for me to do anything different than what I already promised.

But if you have a plan in which all players commit to specific night actions, so that during the next day phase we can confirm more town and route out mafia, I'm all ears.

You have:
Roden - Claimed tracker
NJW - Claimed watcher
EJ - Claimed jailkeeper
Vector - Claimed Ascetic
Met - Claimed...not really clear, apparently only useful after someone dies?
Toonyman - Claimed daykiller, Lover with Tric
Tric - Claimed redirector, although may no longer be able to use the ability, Lover with Toonyman

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 11, 2021, 10:56:31 pm »

Sorry, had a really busy day. I Tracked Jack and he did target Toony. I'm kinda baffled by everything that's happened today, but the thing I'm most confused about is how Toony got a Lovers effect if Jack Jailed him. I'm pretty sure Jailkeeper protects from all lethal effects? So either Jack lied about his action, NJW lied about the total visits Toony had, Tric lied about his action and is a Strongman, or scum have a Ninja Strongman Lovers Maker. Which uhhh what the fuck.

Roden's one-and-only post.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 11, 2021, 10:58:01 pm »

@Everyone: Why shouldn't we lynch Roden?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 12, 2021, 12:03:22 am »

I still want a response from Roden why they targeted Jack, I think I already know the answer but still.

Also if Roden is being truthful it means Jack is unlikely to be lying so there's that. Not sure why Jack would want to lynch someone who backs up their credibility, even if the claim would be easy to fake for today it would not be so easy in the future. We could make Roden claim their track result before anyone says anything.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 12, 2021, 12:08:12 am »

@Toony so you're proposing a team from me, Roden, and NJW?
Yes I think two mafia are inside Jack/Roden/Vector/NJW right now with Jack and NJW being mutually exclusive.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 12, 2021, 12:12:28 am »

@TricMagic:
Why did you redirect me N1 even though I only claimed a day ability?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R2, Day 2): Searching In The Dim Light
« Reply #524 on: October 12, 2021, 03:04:54 am »

The clock chimed, followed by its ticking brethren. Someone passed around sandwiches. Was their staleness a product of the bread or of the tension?

Perhaps it was both.

Quote from: Votecount
Toonyman (0):
Roden (1): Vector
TricMagic (0):
EuchreJack (1): TricMagic
NJW2000 (1): EuchreJack
Vector (0):
Metruption (0):

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (4): ToonyMan, Roden, NJW2000, Metruption
4 to hammer.

Day 2 ends noon today, or in approximately 9 hours.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 153