Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remaster the intro movie for the Steam version  (Read 968 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
Remaster the intro movie for the Steam version
« on: July 06, 2021, 09:06:48 am »

Basically, the suggestion is to try and get in contact with the guy who made this remastered version of the intro movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg1xt26eAdE

To get permission to use it for the Premium version/tileset of the game. Either that, or do something similar with some other artist.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Remaster the intro movie for the Steam version
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 06:15:30 am »

It's nice, but I don't think that the Steam version needs a remade intro. IMHO ASCII art is fine.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 06:56:51 am »

DF is a tile based game as is, so imagine the intro will be using pieces of art from within the game to be friendly to ASCII mode playability &/or  will be run introless by default since that's a option via steams command settings. Commonly go into properties -> launch settings and '-nointro' for other games.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 07:02:59 am »

It's nice, but I don't think that the Steam version needs a remade intro. IMHO ASCII art is fine.

One problem with that ASCII art movie is that it was made for a specific font aspect ratio, but if you've chosen a font with a different aspect ratio in your config files, the movie plays with your choice of font which looks wrong.

When playing that movie, the game needs to ignore the font chosen in the config files and use the default font.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 07:14:19 am »

Maybe, but if the rest of the game isn't going to be in ASCII either, why not update this too and make it more polished and readable? Also, there's been some indication from Toady that he doesn't consider it to fit in with the graphical version (and in a way, I kind of agree):

Quote from: Pancakes
Has there been any graphic work done to the intro cinematic? Are there any changes planned for the intro cinematic, either for this release or long term?

We haven't done anything with it, and I'm not sure if we'll keep some form of it for the graphics version or not.  It no longer fits, exactly, but we haven't made a decision.

So there's a possibility that if it's not updated somehow, it's not going to be used (at least not by default, which would be a shame, compared to being updated).

DF is a tile based game as is, so imagine the intro will be using pieces of art from within the game to be friendly to ASCII mode playability &/or  will be run introless by default since that's a option via steams command settings. Commonly go into properties -> launch settings and '-nointro' for other games.

I'm not sure what you mean by it being friendly to ASCII mode playability (like, obviously running in ASCII mode it would use the old intro, that goes without saying). Do you mean that bit near the start with the dwarves walking in and out of the big door?

It would have to be custom to some degree anyway, even if it does take inspiration from the ingame tileset, since for most of it, just taking the current intro and using the tile graphics in place of the ASCII characters would look like a weird mess I'd think.