Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are codices necessary ?  (Read 2002 times)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are codices necessary ?
« on: July 01, 2021, 05:16:16 pm »

I searched a lot, but I couldn't really find the difference between scrolls and codices. Do I need them if I had enough scrolls ?

Can anyone explain this to me ?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Are codices necessary ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 06:17:45 pm »

Codices and written scrolls are the same. The equivalent to an unwritten scroll is a quire, which can be turned into a codex only after it is written.

Turning a quire into a codex destroys some of its value due to a bug.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:20:10 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 03:24:21 am »

I avoid codices because their horrible display, i.e. they're displayed based on their physical properties, rather than their contents. I believe codices are essentially remains from the older book system.

Thus, no, codices are not necessary, and, in my opinion, not desirable.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 07:46:40 am »

Book materials at the moment are buggy WIP features, the insinuation is that codices into books will eventually be able to hold multiple pages and therefore be much more informative for dwarves to read a lot of prose and easier to compile writing into for a big dump of persuasive argeuments, skill teaching information like surgical guides and such info.

A scroll is just a straightforward single sheet between rollers, as is a codice at the moment also a single sheet wrapped in hardback, there's only really as much value as just reading the quire itself
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:49:07 am by FantasticDorf »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 06:36:13 pm »

Book materials at the moment are buggy WIP features, the insinuation is that codices into books will eventually be able to hold multiple pages and therefore be much more informative for dwarves to read a lot of prose and easier to compile writing into for a big dump of persuasive argeuments, skill teaching information like surgical guides and such info.

I don't think I've heard that planned. A quire is a sheet of paper that's been folded to make 8 pages (front and back,) so a codex is already multiple pages. Codices are basically decorated quires. (Edit: I think you might be able to decorate quires before binding.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 11:21:36 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 01:21:20 am »

Codices and written scrolls are the same. The equivalent to an unwritten scroll is a quire, which can be turned into a codex only after it is written.

Turning a quire into a codex destroys some of its value due to a bug.

I thought the problem was that the value of the book binding wasn’t included when determining the value of a codex.  Not that it actually diminished the value of the quire.

<snip>

A scroll is just a straightforward single sheet between rollers, <snip>

In real life, a scroll can be made from many sheets of paper or parchment stitched or glued together and contain just as much text as a codex.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 02:13:37 am »

In real life, a scroll can be made from many sheets of paper or parchment stitched or glued together and contain just as much text as a codex.

Very much this.  The most common -- perhaps the only remotely common -- example of a scroll in the modern world contains the whole Pentatuch.  That's a couple hundred pages of codex style Bible.  It is many, many quires to match that. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 11:20:15 pm »

I thought the problem was that the value of the book binding wasn’t included when determining the value of a codex.  Not that it actually diminished the value of the quire.

It can reduce the value of the quire as well (if decorated before binding?,) and turns it into a 1-page essay.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 01:17:26 pm »

I avoid codices because their horrible display, i.e. they're displayed based on their physical properties, rather than their contents. I believe codices are essentially remains from the older book system.

Thus, no, codices are not necessary, and, in my opinion, not desirable.

Yeah, that's annoying.  Because the titles aren't displayed it's harder to keep track of the codices.  I've bought a few off the caravans to give my dwarves reading material and something for my scribes to copy, but I don't produce them myself.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath