Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to kill tame vermin  (Read 1080 times)

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to kill tame vermin
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:39:32 pm »

My fortress has built up a supply of tame vermin creatures in cages. Not sure exactly what to do with them as I can't pasture or butcher them. Wasn't even sure how to get them out of their cages. In the end I dumped them in my magma pit. The vages melted, but the hamster, snail, slug, rat and hedgehog seem to be lava resistant.

Does anyone know what I SHOULD have done to get rid of them?

I've tried to drop some water on them to obsidian cast them away, but they are now inside the obsidian block, alive and well it seems....

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 04:41:50 pm by DoubleG »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to kill tame vermin
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 11:03:24 pm »

My fortress has built up a supply of tame vermin creatures in cages. Not sure exactly what to do with them as I can't pasture or butcher them. Wasn't even sure how to get them out of their cages. In the end I dumped them in my magma pit. The vages melted, but the hamster, snail, slug, rat and hedgehog seem to be lava resistant.

Does anyone know what I SHOULD have done to get rid of them?

I've tried to drop some water on them to obsidian cast them away, but they are now inside the obsidian block, alive and well it seems....

After reading the wiki, the only solution I can think of is to sell them.

(Also, if you have any creepy crawlers, you can butcher them.)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:23:12 am »

Does atom-smashing a cage they're in not work?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 06:20:09 am »

I've managed to sell a few of them, buit I was getting impatient. Unfortunately non of them can be butchered. That would be too easy.

Atom smashing probably should have been my first go to. Unfortunately that ship has sailed. Guess I could drain the lava, recapture them and then try atom smashing. I was hoping there was an easier way to neaten up my animal screen. Thanks for the responses.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 06:36:10 am »

Does atom-smashing a cage they're in not work?

Doesn't work unfortunately. The cage gets destroyed, but the vermin remains.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 06:47:31 am »

Doesn't work unfortunately. The cage gets destroyed, but the vermin remains.

What about SMR or eerie glowing pits?

Can chickens or starving dwarves eat tame vermin?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 06:49:20 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 07:07:18 am »

Atom smashing doesn't work? I could dump them into the magma sea. I have a disposal now into a magma chute. That should probably work.....

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 11:27:54 am »

Magma covered SMR doesn't destroy living critters, but I don't know if vermin are considered living for this purpose.

There's a negative thought for eating pets, but I don't know how you'd be able to get there, as you can't slaughter pets and won't butcher tame animals killed by means other than slaughter. I guess it would be interesting to try a starving dorf together with tame vermin and see if it's eaten (I wouldn't expect chicken to eat tame vermin, but haven't tested).

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 03:56:20 pm »

Atom smashing doesn't work?

Yeah, I was a bit surprised when it didn't work.

What about SMR or eerie glowing pits?

Haven't tried, but if for some reason one of my forts ends up with caged vermin I need to get rid of, I'll test it (if I remember).