Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xvareon plays: Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead  (Read 8554 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Xvareon plays: Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2024, 08:35:09 am »

NEW GAME
(I've been away from the game for too long, long enough for new updates to drop. I decided to try and do a new run instead. I thought about making a new thread for this, but I decided it was kinda irrelevant since it's about the same exact topic, it's still on page 1, and I can link to it from the OP anyway. I also don't want to lose all the good info I've already put up for folks 'cause I like for this to be semi-educational for people who don't know the game yet. Go get it ASAP, it's free!)
----------
I'm starting with the "NO HOPE" mod for my new world, which drastically reduces the amount of loot found in structures/locations, and makes most vehicles hopelessly broken so finding a working one is highly difficult. Subsisting off of forage and scavenged materials is peak Cataclysm in my book, not immediately looting everything I could possibly need within the first couple days and then shacking up in a house with all the amenities. I want to feel like I earned my place in this desolate world. I want to give it the Fallout treatment. Hardly anything kills my enjoyment faster than the game getting too easy too fast, like finding the perfect base that is Light Industry three saves in a row.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Alright! So, where are we? In the middle of a field, near-sighted and with no glasses, which means we can't see nearly as far as a normal character can, while zombies can see us from outside our viewing range. Not ideal. But I have bigger problems right now, like finding food, shelter and fresh water.
Fortunately, I seriously lucked out on this start by finding a group of dead humans in the field just a couple map tiles away. Dead humans are a good find early on because any clothes they were wearing will not count as Filthy, and do not require washing (wearing filthy clothes gives massive mood penalties). Aside from finding a Backpack and Daypack for item storage, I found some sneakers, which is very important for naked starts because going barefoot gives you a penalty to movement speed.
Because I have no pocket knife, I need a cutting tool. So next, I make a Sharp Rock. These have a chance of spawning naturally, but you can make one easily by using a Rock (or anything with Hammering >=1) & Flaking Rock. This gives me a crude cutting tool, just enough to take apart the clothes I won't use and turn them into a generous helping of cotton and leather. Sharp rocks only have a Cutting value of 1, though, so I'll be crafting a Stone Chopper as soon as I'm safe. This has a Cutting of 2, although it's ridiculously inefficient for butchering corpses so I'll still want a knife. (You need a tool with a minimum of Cutting 2 to butcher anything.)
Funny thing about near-sighted starts -- it doesn't stop you from seeing everything on the (M)ap for a good radius around yourself on the very first turn of play, though it does stop you from exploring the map any further until you get glasses. So I noticed this Cabin sitting in the forest to the east. Cabins are pretty good shelters, reasonably far enough from danger to live in for a while, though once Wandering Hordes builds up and evolution kicks in I will want solid metal between me and the flesh-raptors.
I noticed a whump, whump coming from the shed out back. Looks like I'm not alone, here. Probably the last owner of the cabin! So I make sure to close as many windows as I can first, stopping any further trouble from noticing me while I get ready to deal with that. For a weapon, I use the long stick I scavenged from the woods... to smash up one of the metal shelving units in the cabin, taking a Pipe from its remains, then turning that into a Makeshift Crowbar. With a bash damage of 13 and reasonably fast swinging, it's pretty good for early enemies, though I'm definitely gonna want a more dedicated weapon soon. I go to check out the noise...
...and sure enough, there's a solitary Zombie in the shed! Not a hard kill, although any close contact with zombies is dangerous, especially if they bite you deep enough to cause infection. This is still treatable, but you need antiseptic to do so, and I currently have none, so I was taking a risk here, but it was worth it. I don't want to have a zombie surprise me while I'm asleep.

With the immediate threat dealt with, I can safely set out fortifying my shelter and getting my resources in order. The cabin's previous owner left some food, there's a wood stove and a water pump, and plenty of furniture I can take apart. However, an important bottleneck I need to overcome early is metal. Chunks & lumps of steel (for a makeshift hammer, screwdriver, and weapons) require you to take apart bigger things. You might remember in the first game, I smashed up a Solar Panel for this, but I can't do that here, so it's time to head to the highway. The best method of obtaining metal scrap I've found is just to look for derelict vehicles on the road. Sure enough, I found a military cargo truck with a solar car crashed into it. Its advanced solar panels could be highly valuable salvage later for starting my own power grid, but will require mechanical tools to remove them from the wreckage. Right now, all I need is to smash up the wrecks even more. This got me numerous pieces of steel, and even some scrap aluminum off the solar car, which I can turn into cookware back at base.

Annnnd... that's about the end of Day 1! I'm gonna spend the rest of my time assembling tools & gear, especially bandages for wounds. I don't have glasses yet, and I can't really hope to find some easily in a town because No Hope will massively reduce item spawns there. My best bet is going to be finding some off a dead human, or a dead zombie. (Thankfully, for all its complexity, this game doesn't model prescriptions for glasses.) I am also going to need to make proper weapons, and probably sheaths/holders for them; a spear would be ideal so I can bait and poke enemies over rough terrain like I did last game, but without a spear strap to carry it, it's gonna be kinda awkward. I have to drop two-handed weapons to climb a chain link fence while escaping enemies, for instance.

Fortunately, I still have my trusty towel. Anyone who can survive the apocalypse and still have their towel is clearly favored by fate. Join me next time as I finish out this day and start the next afresh!

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2024, 04:59:40 pm »

I forgot to mention that I found a Survivor's Map while scouting, last session. Maps are nifty items that fill out your (M)ap screen with new points and data. Trail maps tend to show forest trails, campsites and natural points of interest; tourist maps show restaurants and entertainment venues; and survivor maps are written by post-Cataclysm survivors and doomsday preppers, and will thus show gun stores, grocery stores, and road networks—complete with manhole locations where one can slip into and hide if things get dicey. On the map, manholes are indicated by a yellow cross symbol at road intersections. You need a tool with at least Prying quality 1 (like a Makeshift Crowbar) to lift manhole covers. The green "H" at the top of my initial scouted circle is a Hunting Blind, where hunters would shoot wild game from. There's usually not much at those except a few tiles of constructed wooden walls. The 4 "h" square to the left of that is a two-story motel—I'm staying the hell away from that because it's probably crawling with zombies. The two big "X"s are Radio Towers... and it's on one of them I found the survivor's map, actually! Along with 20 rounds of 30.06 Springfield rifle ammo. Very useful, though I have no gun to use them with. I also found a Pair of binoculars, but its double map scouting range is useless because of nearsightedness.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
But for now, I need to settle into my new cabin. For tools, I craft a Bow Fire Drill because I lack matches or a lighter, letting me light up the wood stove with some wooden planks I'm not gonna use. If I didn't have the stove, I would just make a Brazier out of sheet metal, or a Fire Ring out of rocks.

The strangest thing happened, too. A random NPC just wandered up to the west wall of my cabin, apparently having seen the column of smoke from my stove (this is not a real game mechanic). I was able to Persuade them to join as a follower, which is a massive boon for reasons I'll get to it in a second... but first I want to talk about Mutations. Because hooo, boy, does this lady have them.
She's part Frog. She can projectile vomit acid on command, has insane jumping ability for accessing higher Z-levels without a ladder, and seems to be very quick and adept in unarmed combat... but she's also Far-Sighted, which means she takes penalties in melee combat without glasses. Ironic much? Cold-Blooded also means she suffers speed penalties the chillier the environment is, so I better keep her warm.

Mutations in general are a tricky business. You can mutate your character by consuming mutagen, or by being exposed to radiation. Mutagenic substances occur 'naturally' in the world in the form of "meat cocoons", which, if you do not splat them in time, hatch into monsters of the appropriate type (insect, animal, etc). I really don't like rolling the dice on this because you can easily get some disadvantageous mutations, but it's also a nice way to roleplay a werewolf, vampire, fairy, catgirl, or whatever you like. They go as deep as your exercise watch thinking you're suffering a heart attack because your cow heart beats too slow. I could even wind up with tentacles and a cephalid head that grants me bonus Intelligence. The most effective and safe method of mutating is to raid laboratories for mutagen vials. I tend to find Bionic augmentations to be more reliable, though, so I'm still aiming for that route. Luckily, I can find CBMs (compact bionic modules) in the same place I'd find mutagens.

Anyway, now let's talk hunting and gathering. You can get quite a lot of what you need just by turning Autoforage on and roaming around the woods, rummaging in shrubs and finding eggs, vegetables, juniper berries, fibers and more, but to put on real calories (important for my Fast Metabolism character) I'll still want meat. Most animals will just panic and run when I get close, though, so I need ways to bring them down from a distance, or somehow trick them. Hunting is also a problem for my near-sighted character because I need to be able to spot animals to hit them at range.

Even so, it's worth getting ready for the possibility of bagging a raccoon or opossum. So I train Throwing skill to 3 using a rock, making me somewhat able to hit things with small objects, although the smaller the target the harder it is to hit. A bow would be more ideal, but that takes more time to craft, I need to store the arrows somehow, and uses an entirely different skill (Archery). Also, nearsightedness again. So rocks and slings it is until my situation improves. Ah, and to make sure I can actually butcher them properly, I make a Makeshift Knife out of the scrap steel I brought back from the wrecked vehicles. It has Cutting quality 2, and also 10 piercing damage, which is actually quite good as a backup weapon.

I am going to leave my new follower here to build up the cabin as a Camp. Read below.
Spoiler: Camps (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2024, 04:21:52 am »

What exactly are flesh-raptors, I've heard about them but I've yet to encounter one, probably doesn't help that I usually turn the monster spawns way up then stay away from towns for several months while I get skilled then die before I'm able to get near a town.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2024, 09:44:52 am »

What exactly are flesh-raptors, I've heard about them but I've yet to encounter one, probably doesn't help that I usually turn the monster spawns way up then stay away from towns for several months while I get skilled then die before I'm able to get near a town.
Flesh-raptors are mutant creatures that spawn from certain other enemies that carry them. If you see a "pupating zombie" or something else that looks heavily pregnant with something nasty, there's a good chance that's them. They are like vicious dogs made of nothing but sinew and bone and teeth. They are FAST, hence their name, and although they are easy enough to take down individually they tend to come in packs. You start seeing them once evolution kicks in and zombies get tougher to deal with.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2024, 11:56:16 am »

Spoiler: NVGs (click to show/hide)
By some miracle, the NPC follower I got was carrying light amplification goggles, aka. NVGs! No glasses, though, so even with that I am limited to my near-sighted range, and they don't allow me to craft or take apart furniture in the darkness. Still, at night, these are a godsend, and the zombies' viewing range will be screwed even worse than mine. I "Trade" for the NVGs, giving the NPC a crowbar and screwdriver in exchange so they can perform furniture deconstruction work—though they can't work in the dark, anyway.

Before I go into town proper, I'm going to take a moment to get into the enemies one is most likely to encounter early game.

Zombies: These come in subtypes, such as Zombie, Zombie Child, Fat Zombie, etc., and all can have different clothing/items that you can't see until they drop dead with their inventory. In short, a zombie could be a biker wearing motorcycle armor, hence why it takes more hits to bring down. You can generally be sure that SWAT zombies and police are wearing quality riot gear that'll easily stop most attacks, aside from high-caliber FMJ bullets and hits from sledgehammers.
Zombie Dogs: Enough of a difference to count. Dogs have a lower profile than zombies and are slightly harder to hit. They are also much faster. Police dogs can wear kevlar harnesses. They are less adept at getting through doors and fencing than their two-legged friends, though. Dogs have a better sense of smell and will pick up on your trail more easily.
Giant Cockroaches: These tend to infest basements in buildings. Think the Radroaches from Fallout, except these are a good bit nastier. Cockroaches can mess you up fast, especially in the numbers they tend to come in, and their chitinous exoskeleton is fairly resistant to blows, so bring a good blunt weapon (like a quarterstaff) and some decent armor.
Police Robots & Military Roadblocks: Towns & cities tend to have these around. If you commit a "crime" (like breaking into a gun store) it can summon police interceptor bots with tasers and handcuffs. Flying police drones can also alert the robocops to your location. Zombies aggro on police bots and will gladly hurl themselves at their steel plating, potentially making an easy getaway for you. Military roadblocks have gun turrets and searchlights, along with sandbag walls. The turrets will warn you with loudspeakers if you get close, afterwards they'll shoot you dead. But all of this attracts a LOT of attention from the zeds, causing them to swarm the roadblock and attack. Almost no early game zombie has the damage to get through a turret's armor plating, and they will throw themselves endlessly at the guns even after they run out of ammo and just keep blaring "PLEASE, DISPERSE" to the ravenous mob.

You'll notice I mentioned scent trail. Yes, that's right, the zombies can smell you. How? Well, humans leave an invisible, slowly-blooming trail of scent around them over time. The more you stay in one place, the further out this expands. Zombies can follow this trail and hone in on you. Scent is blocked by objects, including closed or blocked windows. So, even if you are Crouching as I do and make only enough noise to be heard within 3 tiles, which is about how close they can spot you at night, they can trace your scent at a much further distance, so the longer you linger with looting in town, the riskier it gets for you. Grab what you need and get out fast.

Alright. Now that I have the goggles, I take a moment to make a Quarterstaff out of a long stick from the woods. Staves are very solid early weapons with good damage and defensive blocking techniques, and can be upgraded into a Bo or Ironshod Quarterstaff later. Then I head to town, hoping to find something worthwhile amidst the devastation. The goggles let me sneak around Sam Fisher-style, avoiding enemies and picking when and where to loot.
I ran into a Giant Cockroach in the basement of this house. It gave me some nasty bites, but by dropping my staff and waiting a bit in place, my character automatically puts pressure on bleeding wounds to staunch them without needing bandages. I found a portable Charcoal Smoker out back, which is great for cooking meals because it functions in place of a fire when loaded with charcoal. But then I got a bite from a Decayed Zombie (elderly people who got infected), which was marked blue indicating risk of infection. I fervently looked around, and found a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in some rich guy's stone-walled house's golf cart garage. Peroxide, along with alcohol-based antiseptic, is a literal lifesaver for stopping otherwise fatal infection before it takes hold. Once you're infected, you need to find antibiotics fast.

For some reason, though, the houses seem almost as loaded with supplies as they should be without the No Hope mod on, so either I did something wrong or the mod isn't working as it's supposed to. Ah, well. I managed to find glasses! Several pairs, in fact. These let me see at full distance, which also means now I can actually use those binoculars. And I don't linger long in town that night, especially not after two fights and sustaining some nasty pain that I kept at bay with a bit of aspirin. I go to sleep for the night, and in the morning, after eating some canned chicken and graham crackers, I head back to the radio tower with my binoculars to get the lay of the land.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Apparently, my little cabin, marked "Daysville", is sandwiched between two towns with less than 14 tiles of distance between them. This is a very risky place to linger for too long, as it's well within the wandering distance of zombies. I will probably want to pack up and move to a better spot soon, possibly the leftmost Radio Tower west of my cabin, which has a little service shack with it I could set up in. Arguably even more ideal would be a shed, which doesn't show up on the map and spawns regularly in fields. Sheds are good shelter spots because they have four walls and a roof, and don't need much effort to make livable. A pond is also a good choice because of the functionally infinite water supply it gives you, though you will need to deal with rain. If I was really pressed, I would make the trek to one of the red + signs up north and northwest, which are LMOE (Last Man on Earth) shelters—underground bunkers for wealthy doomsday preppers. They have literally everything one could possibly need to handle the apocalypse in safety, although I don't like them on principle because they make the game far too easy.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2024, 01:52:33 pm »

Posting before topic gets locked!

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2024, 04:37:50 pm »

Good point. I guess I should be safe and just make a new topic for this after all.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2024, 03:51:48 am »

As long as you don't talk about the current development of the game, you should be fine.

Also I'll mention that your character's smell shouldn't be as big an issue early game these days as a lot of early game human based zombies had the ability to smell reduced quite a bit, dog based zombies are unchanged though.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 [2]