Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 49

Author Topic: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 4/9 [Eruption: Fallacy of Logic- Hackers Win]  (Read 49808 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

My reads list, other than putting Roden on top, is completely invalid.  I just can't figure it out. 

I'm promoting Magma on it because I think they've fairly figured me out, except alignment which they admit they're unclear on.

Toonyman, I'm actually inclined to keep at null read.  Semi-sheeping Magma, who reads as Absolute Town.

FOU, I have to analyze whether there are likely combinations of scum teams including them and not me.  If being on the same team as me is the only likely combination for FOU, then I should start townreading them as being on the same team as me.  Does that make sense?

Pref, still have work to do before I can fairly assign them an alignment, but scumreading them for not doing work seems kinda unfair.

The game needs more work than I'm willing to give it at this point.  When I feel like working on it again, I will.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Toonyman [Veteran Player]: I don't think I've ever played D2 before.  Could you tell me generally what we are supposed to be doing?
Can you make a post with the pairings you think are possible, and which are impossible, and why?
I'm tempted to garbage post an answer to this, but that hasn't helped town so far.  So I'll wait until I'm willing to put actual effort into answering it.
Seems like a good thing to do though.

@Magma: My apologies for saying that you aren't putting work into the game.  I guess you're like Blue in that you like to think about things and not post very often. Your posts are quite good, better than Blue's I would say.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course one of the possible scum pairs immediately town read me.

Jack, I'll be able to answer your question if you can clarify something for me.

For what it's worth, I saw Magma Mater was on within past 15 minutes prior to my reading Toonyman's message.  Not sure if that means anything.
Scared Townie or excited Mafia?  Thankfully, Toonyman was also checking frequently, and was able to act in 4 minutes.
I'm still new to the site. How did you know Magma was online?
Under your username there's a speech bubble. It has a beige square in it if the person is online (like you are now).
Oh, ok that clears that up. I thought it was weird that Jack knew you were online at such a specific time and still voted anyway. But if it's that easy to verify then I don't think I have any suspicions there.

---

To answer your earlier question Jack, if you aren't FoU's partner then I think it has to be Pref. Toony seems set on it not being Magma and now is getting scum paired with them. Besides, Pref has been null for me all game, and not for any good reasons. It's been noted I haven't interacted with Pref, but in reality Pref is barely interacting with anyone period. They're playing too safe and careful, and the pointless vote on FoU at the end of Day 1 when FoU was never in danger of getting elim'd makes me think it was just distancing.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I...

Why are y'all even voting when a quickhammer could cost us the game? Are you trying to get me to reconsider my town reads? Bloody 'ell.
This doesn't look like someone who particularly thinks they're about to lose the game.
I also heavily agree with this. I'm convinced FoU is mafia at this point, and if we wanted to make a ballsy play to gain momentum over scum then I would be down to just vote them out.

Actually, yeah, let's do it.

FallacyofUrist

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Toonyman [Veteran Player]: I don't think I've ever played D2 before.  Could you tell me generally what we are supposed to be doing?
Can you make a post with the pairings you think are possible, and which are impossible, and why?
Just wanted to clarify that I can't do exactly what you are asking.  I don't believe in "impossible", and will not be attributing that word to any pairings.  All pairings are possible.  I will however use Likely and Unlikely, if it needs to be a binary analysis.
Or I might go with the 1-5 scale of Most Likely to Very Unlikely.  But I'm not inclined to go with a 1-5 scale, its more likely to be a Likely, Not Sure, Unlikely
My problem with the 1-5 scale is that it starts to look like ranking with the number of players that we have, which is a different test.

@Roden: Thanks for the reply.  I can see the FOU/Pref pairing also, for the same reason you mention.  But as you can see, now I need to analyze the likelihood.
We'll see how that develops over the remainder of the Day.

Wow Roden, taking Toony lessons I see.  Well, I rode this ride before, I'm not interested.  Count me out.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

I also heavily agree with this. I'm convinced FoU is mafia at this point, and if we wanted to make a ballsy play to gain momentum over scum then I would be down to just vote them out.

FallacyofUrist
Now that Tric's confirmed the mafia can't just stall indefinitely, can you, at the very least, do this on Day 3 instead? A gutsy push on Day 2 is basically insane. You're throwing out the information we'd get from a mafia kill as well as the possibility of a town power role's information. If anything, it reads like you're rushing things.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FallacyofUrist
Now that Tric's confirmed the mafia can't just stall indefinitely, can you, at the very least, do this on Day 3 instead? A gutsy push on Day 2 is basically insane. You're throwing out the information we'd get from a mafia kill as well as the possibility of a town power role's information. If anything, it reads like you're rushing things.
I can't do this on Day 3 lol. We've already been over this, nobody else can die. Even Jack is offering too much delicious WIFOM to kill off over me.

If you want me to back off then maybe you should start playing the game. Because all you've done is fake-townie'd your way through all of Day 2 so far.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's play a game within a game.

Everyone, join me please.

Pretend you're mafia. If you're already mafia then just be honest.

Answer these question:
1. Who is your mafia partner in this world?
2. What is your reasoning for killing Bluarian on N1?
My mafia partner would be EuchreJack. I'd have told him to throw suspicion on me d2 so that we can look unpaired in lylo.
We kill Bluarian because he suspected Jack but wasn't vocal enough about it for it to trace back to him.
I don't believe the pairing.  I can't see any reality in which I'm paired with Magma.
But this doesn't really get Magma any scum points, since Magma seems intent to investigate me, and this is a lie that a Townie would tell with that intent.
The reasoning, based on that paring, is solid.  Although I think Magma would have been the one that suggested and pushed the idea.

To add to the logic, I think if the pair were Magma and myself, Magma would be in full bus mode.  There is enough suspicion on me that "maybe wolf" is probably not enough shade.

@FallacyofUrist: Have fun with your vote, I'm staying out of it until end of day.  I'll note that I'm currently feeling FOU, Roden, and Toonyman as all possibly town, so its a bad play as Toonyman might just try to bait the quickhammer, but miss as mafia jumps it before either himself or Roden can unvote.
I can understand where Roden is coming from: I can see them at the point where rolling the dice on FOU, and just living with the win or loss is the most desirable outcome.  Especially since Roden is convinced they're going to die N2.  Waiting to die SUCKS.  Wanting to "get it over with already" makes sense.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Roden: Ok, so I'm going to give you a chance to do my work for me, and you might just get my vote on FOU.  It's a win-win!
If you want my vote for FOU, you need to convince me that the FOU-Prez pairing OR the FOU-Magma pairing is solid.
If the pairing is most likely FOU-Jack, then we're on the same team, and since I know I'm town, that means FOU is most likely town.

Remember, you need 4 votes, and ideally you won't get the 2 scum votes that cause us to lose the game. 
Maybe 1 scum vote because they need to preserve their remaining player.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guess what Roden? I'm going to help you discuss the FOU/Web-Magma pairing!

Everyone should be aware of the evidence against.  They've been at each other's throats since D1.  Although that started when FOU replaced Web, not before.

Web is not included.

Spoiler: Web's First Reads List (click to show/hide)
Magma is Super Townie.  Magma had been getting some good townie cred before, but not SUPER.  Web gave Magma the push.
I'll just note that Web would then point Magma out to Toonyman, then remove them from the pocket.  Not sure the significance, but I think it is worth mentioning.

Now, everyone figures Magma can't be partners with FOU because Magma put the first vote on FOU on D1.  And that suspicion has in fact dogged FOU ever since.

But was FOU in any real danger?  FOU joins the voting on Hedgerow, and Town does a mislynch.  I think the timing shows some sort of coordination.  And the whole time, FOU is saying "Good job Magma, this guy is definitely Town, keep up the good work".

Is it "solid"? I dunno.  It's what I got for now.  Maybe others can build or destroy this theory.  I don't hold this theory to be sacred, this is hypothesis that needs to be tested.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile

I...

Why are y'all even voting when a quickhammer could cost us the game? Are you trying to get me to reconsider my town reads? Bloody 'ell.
This doesn't look like someone who particularly thinks they're about to lose the game.

FallacyofUrist
We're not lynching anyone today.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

@Roden:
Magma is right, mafia have to kill so we really should be safe and not lynch anyone today. While it's true we could completely crush the scum by yeeting FoU today, there's still the possibility of missing and we might as well maximize our odds tomorrow. Most importantly, chances are pretty good that mafia miss the remaining PR and we get a confirmed townie tomorrow that will destroy the POE.

Right now I'm feeling very strongly it's FoU/Jack, but it's not 100% since Pref isn't cleared in my mind and the team could be Pref/Roden or Pref/Magma if either Roden or Magma are playing solid and I'm wrong. However, for example if Pref is the remaining PR then he'll come out with it tomorrow and it destroys those teams, ruining mafia's chances of winning.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

DAY 1

Webadict ISO

#36 - First post, answers Magma's RVS question.

Not much here, is pretty low energy for Web.

#63 - Continues response with Magma. Doesn't think they'll be able to contribute much in this game. Kinda of wants to ask for a replacement, but thinks maybe they'll get better or nightkilled eventually and not have to play. Doesn't have any feelings besides Toony being "town enough".

More low energy. Doesn't really want to play. This isn't alignment indicative.

#92 - Jack asks them not to Chinese Fire Drill to which Web responds "why are you asking me that?" and gives a maybe. They give their first reads list while also voting Toony.

Anyway, since I'm feeling a bit better, initial feelings are:

Magma Mater - Super blathery but also super Town. Probing for answers. Enter the pocket.
EuchreJack - Very Town. Sheeping the right answers.
hedgerow - Hmm... Town. Call it a hunch. I would explain why, but only if hedge asks. The pocket easily fits two.
Roden - Townlean. Against the BT strat for what feels like legitimate reasons. Is that even a good reason to trust someone is Town? Maybe. Still gonna do it.
Rolan7 - I forgot everything I read from them.
BluarianKnight - Scumlean. Absolutely no reason. Okay, maybe also because bias.
ToonyMan - Was Townlean until they didn't like EuchreJack's reasoning for BluarianKnight, which is really baffling and super passive. Give me better.

This reads list is very early in my opinion. Their response to Jack could be them trying to shake Jack off them if they're partners.

Web reads:
Magma and Jack as strong town.
Hedgerow and Roden as weak town with Hedgerow slightly better.
Rolan as null.
Bluarian and Toony as scummy.
Doesn't mention Pref.

#97 - Web claims OMGUS when Toony says them not mentioning Pref could mean Web/Pref.

Their response is really defensive here. I think it could be them trying to incriminate a town!Pref with them if they're mafia. In other words Web/Pref is less likely. They use the term OMGUS incorrectly, but everybody does so kind of moot.

#99 - Continued reponses with Toony. Claims they can pocket as many people as they want. Doesn't see Toony's reasoning for why Bluarian is likely town and disagrees strongly with Toony's mafia read of Jack.

Is hard defending Jack here and disagrees with my town read of Bluarian. Doesn't think I'm allowed to use Jack's posts to find Web scummy even though scum revealing/slipping their partners is a completely valid point.

#110 - More interactions with Toony. Calls Toony "def scum" now. Says that Toony is protecting Bluarian and Roden and notes Toony is not doing the same with Magma. Thinks Jack is incredibly easy to read and that they do think Jack is wrong about Hedgerow being mafia.

Blows up on me here. Neither me or Jack have seen mafia!Jack so I don't see how Web can say that Jack is incredibly easy to read, especially if Jack rolled mafia here. I don't believe Web would make this mistake in reasoning as town.

#111 - Challenges Toony to vote them.

Might be full of hot air. I've seen mafia!Web do this "vote me" schtick on Day 2 of Supernatural 10.

#114 - Another post just for Toony. Gets angry when Toony says town!Web wouldn't read them so poorly. Tric posts that Web has asked for a replacement right after.

This is a pretty self-destructive post. I've seen Web get much angrier than this as town, but I'm surprised he would replace out as either alignment. I can't recall him ever doing this.

#118 - Web's last post. After already asking for a replacement they answer Roden's questions in the most sarcastic way possible. They jokingly claim Vanilla Townie or Doctor. They continue to cast shade on Toony.

We know this setup can no longer have the Doctor in it so Web is probably talking out of his ass here. If they're town they could be saying this to either eat the NK or avoid the NK, it's not very clear. If they're mafia they're trying to play off like they're town doing the same thing. Web hasn't even been online since making this post.

Overall, Web's behavior is strange, low energy, and hyper defensive. If Web is mafia: Web/Roden feels extremely unlikely. Web/Magma feels unlikely, Web/Pref feels possible, and Web/Jack feels the most likely.

FallacyofUrist's ISO

#150 - FoU's first post after replacing Web. It's a pretty big one that covers a lot. Claims they aren't going to be playing like Web. Responds to most players with pretty normal stuff. FoU also thinks Jack is easy to read and tells Jack they should be more paranoid. They would normally vote Jack over their low-effort reads list, but choose not to.

FoU is prety laid back here and they also don't vote anybody which I find odd for mid-Day sub in. They clearly have been reading the whole thread up until this point as they've responded to a bunch of quotes. Maybe FoU would have voted Jack here normally, but chose not to because they're both mafia?

#162 - Banter with Jack. Thinks that Jack is townie but approaching things from a skewed, narrow perspective.

Jack gave FoU a very unnatural vote in post #155 before quickly unvoting in post #161. Like seriously, I've been seeing a lot of legit and natural fights between players in this game so this bit really stands out as a possible theater show to me, Jack's attack on FoU about reads lists feels very odd.

I don't like how FoU thinks that Jack is a townie viewing things from a narrow perspective because I feel exactly the opposite about Jack. Jack has given off tells that they are aware of every player's alignments throughout the whole game. Jack's hyper defensive attitude towards Roden near D1 end does not change that fact at all, could easily still be mafia!Jack just trying to strike back at Roden hard for scum reading them.

#167 - Unvotes Toony after Jack points out that Web's vote is still on Toony since they like Toony. FoU bribes Jack that they'll make a reads list if Jack can post a case while voting for the player they think is scummiest. Continues to state that Jack is just misplaying town and easy to read.

This is blatant mafia tutoring in public if both are mafia. At the very least, FoU wants Jack to make a case on somebody before they do anything which is lazy.

#239 - Magma insists that FoU posts individual reads to which FoU obliges, also because Jack has made a case on Roden at this point after Jack was on deaths row.

This post is probably the ugliest post FoU makes on Day 1. They hard town read Jack while pushing for a Hedgerow wagon, which ends up being the lynch for Day 1. They weren't even around for End of Day 1 and have little to zero interactions with Hedgerow. Really not trying to solve the game at all. Here are their reads:

Very Town:
EuchreJack. I think this is the one I can afford to hesitate the least on. Euchre is playing like... twitchy, new, inexperienced, kinda skewed town. Odd ideas, but at least trying to put them into practice. Matches the patterns I've seen from a lot of new, less practiced town (as opposed to new, but practiced, town).
Toony. Caveat, I trust my ability to read experienced players not at all, but if I don't at least try to make reads I'll never have any idea (even a poor one) of who the town and scum are. Reasoning, though: Let's set aside the educational stuff he's doing for the new players' game's sake. That's not alignment indicative. There's a platypus controlling me.
[Toony quote]
The way ToonyMan is interacting with the game state feels a little detached, but not necessarily in a bad way. Just like his focus has changed in playstyle from normal, for the sake of the new-player game. There are clearly cases being considered and pursued, just not as aggressively as normal - giving other people their time to shine, as per his 'I will cry if we get a Fal/me/Blu' endgame comment.

Sorta Town:
Magma Mater. Consistent. Like a brick. A positive, well-aimed, brick. Doesn't play like a newbie. Not sure they're judging Toony right, but that's okay. I don't have to agree with every one of someone's points to find them to be town. I like that they attacked me for perceived active-lurking, which is a good point. It's partly a consequence of my schedule (work and school, my oh my), but I'm taking the time to make a few posts now which should help address concerns? If not, then, well... oh well?
prefuzek. Same reasons. Caveat, though. Attacking someone who's producing a bunch of posts without much substantial content may be a good idea, but it could just as easily be 'oh, they're an easy target, let's rank them'. Still, I like it. For the moment.

Neutral:
Roden and Rolan. Roden's particularly focused on setup information, but not entirely, to be fair. And Rolan has... one post? One? I don't like that. Ironically, I must ask that you post more.

Time To Feast Time To Feast Time For You To Be Deceased:
Hedgerow.
EuchreJack is scum for just giving it to Roden over and over again; that much is clear.
Everyone else seems about normal.  Can't really complain.  Just a regular townie doing regular townie things.
Roden would give the advantage to the mafia though.  There's no good reason to put the BP out there and he was sure enough to pin him or his partner as a role.
This tastes really bad. 'Everyone else seems about normal' is just... no? Nothing at all stands out among everyone else? That's a lotta detachment.
BluarianKnight. They're playing like they did in Magic Mafia. I'd vote them, but hedgerow stands out more for the moment.

Strong town reads Jack and Toony.
Weak town reads Magma and Pref.
Null reads Roden and Rolan.
Scum reads Hedgerow and Bluarian, votes Hedge over Blue.

#252 - Pushes Roden up to weak town after Roden claims they weren't planning on keeping their vote on Jack from the start.

Approval of Roden for not planning to stick with their Jack vote and instead vote Hedgerow...

And that's it for Day 1. FoU isn't around for the Hedgerow lynch, which they were a part of. This really reads to me as lazy mafia that approves of the easy Hedgerow wagon since it avoids Jack dying D1. Pref and then Magma both try to push for a FoU wagon instead of Hedgerow, but it doesn't go through.

Overall FoU is very laidback and seems to be serving a mentor role for Jack. Their lack of effort in interacting or solving Hedgerow while also voting for them over Jack makes it most likely FoU/Jack if FoU is mafia. Every other mafia team feels unlikely, FoU/Roden FoU/Pref and FoU/Magma all feels weird and wrong to me. They only have team synergy with Jack in my opinion.

The fact both Web and FoU have the highest equity with Jack is interesting to me. I feel like they both have to be of the same alignment, whether that's town or mafia. I think mafia is more likely and that means they're the scum team. Pref's POV would have the easiest time seeing this, but they haven't really been around.

I might do Day 2 FoU next or someone else instead.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

PR is short for Power Role, or a role that has an ability.

In this setup the possible town PRs are Jailkeeper, Cop, Doctor, 1-shot Bulletproof, and Tracker. For mafia they could have a Roleblocker and that's it.

:-X I sure wish I was the bulletproof townie.

Saw this while re-reading, this post makes me die inside.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could someone who is NOT tunneling me do the FOU ISO?

I just had to stop reading it, it's not a FOU ISO, its a "why Jack is scum, and FOU is the most likely scumbuddy" ISO.

@Toonyman: Is it likely that, in your mind, the teammate of FOU is anyone but me?  I saw Pref was "possible".
If FOU is my most likely teammate, then they're probably town from my point of view.
Have I truly pissed you off so much that your world now must contain mafia!Jack, even resorting to making him up if you have to?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 49