Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Great War Arms Race: Grand Duchy of the Vornfolk. 1900 Revision Phase.  (Read 5490 times)

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nuke I dont really disagree with you the uniform makes more sense on a wider front and the island isn't that important to us or our opponents. But that's half the reason I think this early monitor would be generous but armed merchantman might be a slightly better term however one thing a armed vessel does as opposed to a uniform revision is force our opponents to react to us even if the vessel is basically worthless in any real fight they'll have to do something about it a turn they spend designing a naval battery or they're own war ship allows us to say do a machinegun design and the uniform revision while they just threw away a design phase on a ship that'll not damage our war making potential. Ill stick by the ship as i think it'll force our opponents into a worse situation.
New Model Field Dress:(2):Khang36, NUKE9.13
Feudal Class Gunboat (1): UristMcRiley

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New Model Field Dress:(3):Khang36, NUKE9.13, m1895

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

M1899 Kortrevar "Arbetshäst" - Karbin
A variation of the Arbetshäst meant for cavalry usage, the "Arbetshäst" - Karbin takes the simple measure of removing roughly eight inches of barrel to make the weapon lighter and handier for superior ability to be used by people riding horses, and also provides 6 round clips for ease of reloading while on horse back. All in all this is a simple variant of the primary weapon, but one which should be much better for its intended use. IE, being used by people riding horses.

New Model Field Dress:(3):Khang36, NUKE9.13, m1895
M1899 Kortrevar "Arbetshäst" - Karbin (1): Happerry
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 09:53:37 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

WorldOfHurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New Model Field Dress:(4):Khang36, NUKE9.13, m1895, WorldOfHurt
M1899 Kortrevar "Arbetshäst" - Karbin (1): Happerry

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Arms Race: Grand Duchy of the Vornfolk.
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2021, 07:20:28 pm »

New Model Field Dress
Our current uniforms uh... are, but we can modernize them to the point even the king of Albion cannot hide his envy.
The basest level of the uniform consists of a gray-green tunic and trousers made of hardwearing material with a softer undershirt, and a greatcoat in cold weather; officers and highborn enlisted may opt for silk lining. The new model jackboots reach midcalf and come with gray-green puttees to obscure the black leather of the jackboots, as well as provide a level of protection against certain environmental factors.
The Shako, while retained for parade use, has been replaced in the field by a pith helmet, of the Normandish style, with a relatively wide brim and a gray-green cloth covering. It of course comes with a badge of the Duke's crest to be placed on the front, though we do not advise wearing it in combat situations, as Kalchans instinctively destroy symbols of civilization. In more wintry climes a furred hat is provided instead. The last but not least inclusion is a standardized sheath for a spade. The model of spade was patented a few decades ago (a fact that was promptly ignored by everyone) and then swiftly copied by many, consisting of a 50 cm overall length and can be sharpened along one side to serve as an axe.

Dice Gods Say: You get an 8!

The field dress is extremely well received by the general staff it seems, them having the same ideas along the line of the engineers though being too busy governing their own peasantry provinces to design a standard pattern to be used. The jackboots are found to be surprisingly comfortable by the troops and are durable were lesser boots would be worn down. The greatcoat itself after suggestion by NCO's has become a staple piece of the uniform with it coming in a summer model where it has been trimmed down to a sleeved vest and the winter model being full sized, this being for the fact that the coats large size has allowed an internal bandoleer sown into the interior of the coat so troops may have quick access to 18 fresh rounds ammunition and keep it safe from adverse weather conditions as well as an exterior pocketed bandoleer sown around the waist of the coat holding an extra 24 loose rounds on each side of the wearer totaling at 66 rounds of ammunition for our soldiers use alongside what they carry loaded in their rifle when they march into battle.

The Pith helmet itself was found favorable but too flimsy when in the wet and adverse conditions of our homeland so the front was reinforced with a thin metal plate over the forehead with the crest of the Duke on it all nice and shiny, though this was not copied for the winter hat. The spade itself was also well received and finds its home on the troopers belt along their other non-combat issue gear.

The only people to not enjoy the new uniforms were the Duke's Livgardet Hussars who argued that they needed to be well seen to give proper glory to the Duke while charging down his foes, after some light prodding by the Duke we were forced to give in and the cavalry receives their own model of the new uniform but in the same bright colors as before. They're cavalry anyways, so its not like they'll be doing much hiding while sitting on giant beasts and riding everywhere with their sabers flashing.

One the battle phase has been posted you may begin your Design Phase once more!

Vornfolk Armory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Fyrverkeri" Exploding Bullet Rifle
A 'rifle' firing 30mm rounds, the Fyrverkeri break-action rifle is designed for use against enemy armored cavalry or, theoretically, enemy armored trains, as well as by marksmen. The most special feature of the Fyrverkeri is the bullet it fires, which is, instead of being a bullet, actually a miniature rocket. Each 30mm round consists of a protective casing which contains the actual rocket, which is given a heavy explosive tip that explodes when the projectile rams into the enemy, setting off the contact fuse. The bullet rocket is fired like a normal bullet, and in fact uses this initial explosion to light the rocket itself as well as give it enough initial propulsion to fly long enough to be able to fly itself.

The rifle also comes with a simple 3x scope for firing long ranged explosive shots.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 11:01:46 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Field Telegraph Kit
A simple enough system used to quickly lay telegraph wires between the commanding officer's head quarters and the front line as well as providing a quick means of communication between forward observers and artillery batteries to allow more accurate fires as well as enabling us to safely fire our guns from defilade even when our troops are engaged closely with the enemy. The Kit itself comes in one of two forms a small two wheeled wagon with a great spool of telegraph wire used in more open terrain and along road ways, and a smaller man portable spool for use in rougher terrain.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: M1900 8mm maskingevär
a Heavy machine gun chambered for a 8X60 mm rimless cartridge, which is fed to the side using 30 round metal feed strips, or using metal belts which are made of a series of 8 round strips connected together. the machine gun is air cooled having a heavy barrel as well as heat fins around the barrel to help prevent over heating. the machine gun uses a gas piston (gas operated longstroke piston) to operate the receiver. it is designed to be mounted on a tripod and has an adjustable ladder sight ranged to 1km for direct fire and volley sights for indirect fire up to 2.5km.

Quote from: vote
M1900 8mm maskingevär(1):Khang36
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 09:13:03 am by Khang36 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

M1900 8mm maskingevär(2):Khang36, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Field Telegraph Kit (1)UristMcRiley
"Fyrverkeri" Exploding Bullet Rifle
I'm going to be honest guys while the machinegun would be nice I dont think it will be as big of a combat power increase for our troops, it after all is just a weapon while the increased ability communicate and coordinate artillery fire will pay dividends for us. In regards to the Fyrverkeri its creative but i think its a little overly complex and doesn't really serve a purpose at this moment in time though something like that a light anti material weapon will certainly be needed in the future.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to be honest guys while the machinegun would be nice I dont think it will be as big of a combat power increase for our troops, it after all is just a weapon while the increased ability communicate and coordinate artillery fire will pay dividends for us.
Uh... machine guns were one of the two defining weapons of WW1. Really, all the equipment in WW1- including the early tanks- was just a sideshow compared to artillery and machine guns.
Also, I assume we already have some way of coordinating fire. At least, I bloody hope we aren't firing blind. So whilst dedicated telegraph laying kit might help, it would only be improving existing capabilities- whereas we don't have anything like a machine gun.
Long Live United Forenia!

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My interpretation from the battle reports was that we were firing direct line of sight like we would have been doing in a Napoleonic or American civil war style battle maybe I got the wrong impression they're that's why I'm thinking a field telegraph would be better then a machinegun right now so we can do some real work with our artillery. If I'm wrong and we do have say some sort of signal flags or even just a good system of mounted runners between guns and forward observers allowing us to fire reasonably well from defilade and beyond line of sight then the machinegun does sound like a better idea. Hopefully Maxim can clarify that, beyond that my only issue with the machinegun is that its slightly more defense orientated and right now we have the momentum in at least  one front so I feel like a offensive weapon to help us carry the field would be better in the short term then a defensive weapon to hold it. While my telegraph proposal more or less just toes the line it'll help offensively and it will benefit us defensively a well rounded improvement.

WorldOfHurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would prefer a machine gun with a non-disintegrating metal belt instead of a metal strip, and using the same caliber as our rifle. I have an idea for an SMG as well, which I will post as well. Feel free to provide feedback.

Kulspruta-900
The Kulspruta machine gun is a gas operated, tilting bolt machine gun firing the same 6.5x55mm rimless rounds as the Kortrevar and weighs approximately 12 kilograms unloaded.  It feeds from a non-desintigrating metal belts of varying sizes depending on use case which can be linked up to other belts to allow for continuous fire. The barrel is non-reciprocating and is encased in a water jacket to prevent overheating. A hose can be optionally attached to the water jacket to direct the steam from boiled water away from the weapon and shooter, preventing the enemy from easily locating the gun.

The gun is mounted on a tripod which allows the shooter to either fire along a set elevation or manual control  of elevation. The gun can be removed from the mount using two pins to be carried or optionally used in a semi-mobile form. Iron sights on the gun range from 100 meters to 2000 meters. Reliability is prioritized over rate of fire.

Kulsprutepistol-900
The Kulsprutepistol is an open bolt, direct blowback, fixed firing pin 10x25mm submachine gun with a 30 round double stack, double feed magazine. The magazine attaches to a vertical foregrip towards the front of the weapon and spent casings eject out the right side of the weapon. The weapon is designed to be simple to manufacture as possible, while still remaining accurate to 100 meters and reliable. The only regard for asthetics is a crest of the Duke stamped on the left side of the gun, which also acts as a proof mark.

The stock of the Kulsprutepistol is also designed to act as a wrist brace to allow single handed use by the cavalry. A simple two position flip iron sight on the top of the weapon has range markings for 50 and 100 meters.

Field Telegraph Kit (1):UristMcRiley
Kulspruta-900 (1):WorldOfHurt
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 12:23:43 am by WorldOfHurt »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kulspruta-900 (1):WorldOfHurt
Kulsprutepistol-900 (1):m1895

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It makes me feel bad to tie the vote, but, uh, I like the water cooled machine gun more and I really don't get the point of the volley fire sights for the other machine gun.
Kulspruta-900 (2):WorldOfHurt, Happerry
Kulsprutepistol-900 (2):m1895, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7