Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Great War Arms Race: Kalcha Confederation. 1900 Revision Phase.  (Read 6605 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Arms Race: Kalcha Confederation. 1900 Revision Phase.
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2021, 07:47:36 pm »

Personally, I would rather wait to build a proper littoral combat vessel than arm our barges. It will reduce the amount of troops they can carry. I doubt they can carry the amount of (operational) guns you're asking for anyway.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2021, 08:09:37 pm »

Um...it's a barge variant not meant to carry troops. I'll clarify that since it apparently wasn't obvious.

Anyway if six guns on an entire barge is too many we can use fewer, either way having the artillery is better than not having it. I'm going to assume that they're actually, y'know, reasonably sized barges capable of being used on the open ocean.

And if we build a littoral combat ship I'm going to just have to leave this team, in order to flee the stupidity that those things exemplify. We'd be better off building a destroyer, which is like an LCS but not a stupid stunt to try and invent a new naval role. And we can't do that in a revision and we need multiple warship types anyway, might as well get the surprise factor instead of just repeatedly doing the SAME THING in different calibers.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2021, 09:12:41 pm »

And if we build a littoral combat ship I'm going to just have to leave this team, in order to flee the stupidity that those things exemplify. We'd be better off building a destroyer, which is like an LCS but not a stupid...
Semantics. If there's no torpedo boats (or submarines) to destroy, it's not a destroyer. It's a small ship, with some guns, and if it serves a similar role as your proposed barge, in staying near the coasts (due partly due to its size/seaworthiness) and assisting troops on the ground... it is littoral. ;)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2021, 10:44:44 pm »

It's only specifically "littoral" if it's designed specifically for littoral work, we will ABSOLUTELY be focusing on seagoing usefulness. Also hahaha you think we wouldn't be designing a destroyer if we made a ship like a real destroyer? Remember that we are in a world with other nations (who I think are acting out their own more-similar-to-the-real-one version of WWI) so we are modelling this (in-universe, anyway) on ships actually called "destroyers" and used to destroy torpedo boats.

LCS/destroyer is not a matter of semantics, because a destroyer is an oceangoing warship designed to screen fleets and make torpedo attacks, whereas an LCS is a ship designed specifically to operate in coastal environments for....well....anti-piracy, riverine patrols, and...there's good reason the LCS died an early, unmourned death. A destroyer CAN operate near the shore because it's got a shallow draft, but it's designed for a broader, better role.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2021, 03:08:05 am »

But but but... The volcano is a littoral area of operation? Barges might work? We could cobble together cheaper artillery barges and send them at fools who build blue water navies!
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2021, 10:15:45 am »

I'm going to assume that that is entirely sarcastic and you've intentionally ignored that: A. I've already proposed a revision for shore bombardment barges and B. that fighting oceangoing warships with barges armed with HOWITZERS is a hilariously bad idea on all counts.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2021, 11:13:53 am »

In any case, just make a vote about it and we can get this show on the road.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2021, 12:15:25 pm »

In any case, just make a vote about it and we can get this show on the road.
I thought we already had a vote? Also, Art(illery) is an explosion!

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2021, 01:12:03 pm »

Quote from: Uul Ganaa 75mm L/12 (Mountain Cannon)
This revision of the Ganaa uses the same shells, breech and a similar barrel, but reworks the mount and furniture entirely. The entire cannon can be disassembled and carried by a team of 5-10 men, preferably but not necessarily with the help of a couple pack mules. The mount is new, and has a crank for precise elevation up to 80 degrees. The rest of the mount can be disassembled into pieces each no heavier than 20kg. The breech can be disassembled from the barrel (hopefully it already can), and the recoil piston can be separated from the barrel as well. The barrel itself is only 900mm in length (or as short as our testing finds to be suitable). Its new capacity for high-angle shots allows it to be used from safe positions inside trenches and close to the enemy, or in mountainous terrain. Assembly should hopefully be doable inside of 15 minutes, and most parts are standardized to bolt together with a wrench and 20mm head bolts for this purpose. Oh yeah, it would also be nice to stop the breech from exploding, but if we can't do that we'll just tell the men to abandon them after 100 firings or something. If the barrel needs to be thicker, this should be accomplished with a separate sleeve which can be removed from the barrel for transport. Hopefully we can just use better quality metal.

Dice Gods Say: You roll a 5

The Uul Ganaa 75mm L/12 is by all reports a functional weapon, capable of being broken down and packed around by mules and in some cases a large team on men working together haul the pieces. The gun itself is found usable as a direct and indirect fire weapon by trained troops though the shortening of the barrel required the powder charge of the shell to be lowered somewhat to prevent gas from harming the operators during firing, though this reduces the range and velocity of the shells significantly compared to the full sized Ganaa model. The bolt system is found to be useful for assembly but easy to loose in adverse conditions as well as prone to rust when not maintained. Its breech and barrel don't suffer compared to its bigger brother thanks to the lighter ammunition.

It is now the Design Phase once the battle report has been written.

Confederation Armory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 10:09:54 pm by Maxim_inc »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2021, 01:36:52 pm »

Guess we're waiting for the battle report then. Now, assuming we don't see an urgent need for an SMG, HMG or armored vehicle, what about this?

Quote from: 'Tsirk' Spotter Balloon
This is a hot-air balloon used for artillery spotting and general intelligence. The balloon itself is made of a strong canvas which is asbestos-treated, and has adjustable ventilation on top to control the rate at which hot air is lost by pulling on a cable. The basket has room for two men plus propane fuel, the burner, and ballast and other equipment. There is one special piece of equipment, a cable telegraph which allows the spotter to quickly relay his findings with a communications officer on the ground. The balloon is to be used anchored to the ground by ropes, so that it stays roughly in one place over the ground. Using this, our commanders should be aware of enemy troop movements, defenses, and weak spots, especially in trenches which we cannot normally see into. This should allow us to target artillery more accurately and better coordinate our attacks and defenses.

Edit: Good enough for me.

Quote from: Votebox
Tsirk Spotter Balloon: (1) Sensei
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 12:14:52 am by Sensei »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2021, 12:28:20 am »

"Revolt" 12-Guage Pump-Action Shotgun Model 1902

The premier tool of anti-royal field work, the Revolt is a revolutionary advancement in shotgun technology.  Brass-encased 12-gauge shells (in both buckshot and slugs ammo) are cycled from a tube into the action via a sliding, wooden pump encasing the barrel.  The shotgun is fed from a trapdoor in the top of the action, holding a total of 7 shells (not counting the one in the chamber).  Spent shells are ejected through the bottom of the action.  The magazine tube is on top and the barrel is on bottom, reducing keyhole when firing via a lower center of recoil.

The Revolt can be slam-fired; holding down the trigger will release the firing pin as soon as the next round is cycled.  A 12" bayonet blade can be mounted to the barrel, in case the shotgun is not intimidating enough.

The most redeeming factor is that it has nothing to do with artillery, so it should make Max happy.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 12:29:58 am by evictedSaint »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2021, 02:27:18 pm »

I'll re-iterate my position, that I think an SMG would serve us better than a shotgun. While covering an area with shot is effective in a trench, I think what matters more is the ability to keep firing quickly and many times before reloading.

That said, I would possibly support a meme tier semi-auto shotgun of some kind.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2021, 03:20:26 pm »

If you can write a design that is as cool as an upside down trap-door shotgun, then you've got my vote.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2021, 05:35:30 pm »

For now, my vote is staying with the balloon because I'm an airhead, but...

Quote from: 20mm Super Semi
This is a smoothbore gun with a gas-operated repeating action derived somewhat from the Witchfire. Its primary intended ammunition is 20mm shot shells, which are slightly larger than 12 gauge buckshot. The barrel is 550mm in length and the gas port is close to the receiver, as shot pellets will not retain pressure close to the end of the barrel in the way bullets do. Shells are stored in a 12-round drum magazine under the gun, and ejected on the right. A fire selector permits semi-automatic or fully automatic fire. The weapon is intended for use at ranges within 150 meters and comes with simple fixed sights, and a wooden stock and foregrip. If possible, slugs and explosive 20mm shells are developed for use in this gun as well.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2021, 10:37:40 am »

Quote from: Airbox
Tsirk Spotter Balloon: (2) Sensei, TricMagic

Also an airhead. (May there be airships)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9