Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Great War Arms Race: Kalcha Confederation. 1900 Revision Phase.  (Read 6593 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Arms Race: Kalcha Confederation. 1900 Revision Phase.
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2021, 10:20:42 pm »

Crazy idea, what if we pulled a Cannala and skipped HMG calibers altogether to go straight to 20mm auto cannons? It'd be a boon to future vehicles for sure.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2021, 11:08:23 pm »

We'd have weight problems, ammunition weight problems, ammunition supply problems, rate of fire problems, use case problems, space constraint problems, and overkill problems.

There's good reason that there's a rifle-caliber or .50 cal machinegun in and on many modern tanks and not a 30mm cannon or a 20mm cannon. The Russians keep trying to use those things as RCWS on tank turrets but they also keep finding them to be problematic.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2021, 11:35:20 pm »

Quote from: 'Agaaryn Tolgoi' Dirigible Balloon (Edit B)
This balloon is considerably larger than the Tsirk hot air balloons. It is filled with hydrogen, in three cells of treated cotton, all inside a single non-rigid outer casing (the fore and aft are supported in a conical shape by wooden spars). Each lifting gas cell has a ballonet, a smaller balloon inside into which outside may be pumped, filling this reduces buoyancy and emptying it allows the craft to rise. The pitch is adjusted by altering the fore and aft ballonets. Thrust is provided by two four-cylinder automotive engines with reversible transmissions driving propellers, one on either side, mounted high attached to the gondola close to the center of drag. There is also a rudder and elevator control surface. The gondola is constructed of aluminum, and is twenty-five feet long. It is capable of holding a number of passengers, although it ordinarily carries a pilot, engineer, and commander/bomber, as well as up to five tons of bombs. The bombs are, for now, modified 120mm artillery shells. They have fin stabilizers, and a pull-ring fuse, where the pull-ring is attached to a carabiner clip and cable on the gondola. Dropping the shells causes the pull-ring to be removed, staying with the carabiner clip.

Dice Gods Say: 6

The 'Agaaryn Tolgoi' is the Confederations first foray into the realm of lighter than air powered flight, a market formerly only cornered by inventors from the  Republic of Normandy and Kingdom of Bohemia. After much rigorous testing for the most efficient aerodynamic shapes we could create and shameless copying of foreign engine designs for domestic production has resulted in a design comparable to other foreign examples. While sourcing the aluminum in quantities from our mines that would be sufficient in number was slightly difficult we were able to acquire enough to carry onwards with the project. The two automotive engines themselves are found to be quite fuel hungry due to the tweaking we've done to them so they could propel such a heavy craft forwards at a quite fast jogging pace, a large portion of the ballast and extra weight was devoted to fuel storage, this also impacting the bomb load lowering it from 5 to 3 tons capacity totaling about 175 modified shells. The maneuverability of the craft itself is quite difficult; the ballonets themselves work fine but in the often rainy and windy coastal weather of both countries it was found that a single pilot was under too much strain trying to maneuver the craft so a second pilot was added to split the work between operating the rudder and elevator separately. The craft itself is able to stay in the operation zone for a total of two hours on minimal engine use before needing to return home and re-fuel. The Coast Watch themselves have shown some interest in the craft and have procured a pair of them for sea patrol.

Its now the Revision Phase!

I think I got everything in that description, I'm more familiar with planes than dirigibles and zeppelins.

Confederation Armory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2021, 02:53:10 am »

Juggler Pins

Simply named, the Juggler Pins are our foray into hand-held grenades.  The design is quite simple; a stick of dynamite is affixed to the end of a hollow tube.  The fuse runs down the length of the tube.  The ignition mechanism is a striker on a spring at the base of the tube, held in place with a spoon running up the length of the handle.  Once the pin on the spoon is pulled, the spoon flies off, allowing the striker to ignite the fuse.

In order to increase lethality, segmented steel wire is wrapped around the stick of dynamite.  The explosion will break the wire at the segmentations, throwing shrapnel into the air.  The mechanical advantage of using the handle to throw the grenade allows the device to be thrown further than it would otherwise go.  The fuse is expected to last five seconds, and soldiers are "discouraged" from "cooking" the grenades before use.

Duchy idiots did a grenade via revision, we can too.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2021, 01:41:45 am »

Since we need a real suggestion, I'm just gonna double down on the Witchfire Carbine. I'm open to other ideas.

Quote from: Witchfire Carbine MkII
Make it less rattly, less jittery, retool the cartridge if we have to (it shouldn't be THAT underpowered!) or stop the gas system from wasting gas or whatever the problem is. It's also smaller, lighter, and uses smaller cartridges, so try to cut the cost down to 3 ore.
If we can make the Witchfire actually cheap and good, it really should be worth something in the trenches. I expect this to basically amount to a reroll with a bonus, considering we've tried it already and have hopefully learned from it.

Quote from: Agaaryn Tolgoi Domestic Motors
Replace the foreign-bought motors with ones built in-country, and specialized for aircraft use, but of a similar size so as not to impact ore cost. In our case, specialized for aircraft use means high-revving, and being relatively fuel efficient at high revs and max power output, as opposed to automotive engines which spend most of their time at lower revs and are tuned accordingly.
If we're lucky this might remove the complex tag and/or get us some better performance, but even if it's a flop and we don't actually use them, it will be crucial experience in designing motors.

Quote from: Votebox
Witchfire Carbine MkII: (1) Sensei
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2021, 10:17:10 am »

Since we need a real suggestion, I'm just gonna double down on the Witchfire Carbine. I'm open to other ideas.

Quote from: Witchfire Carbine MkII
Make it less rattly, less jittery, retool the cartridge if we have to (it shouldn't be THAT underpowered!) or stop the gas system from wasting gas or whatever the problem is. It's also smaller, lighter, and uses smaller cartridges, so try to cut the cost down to 3 ore.
If we can make the Witchfire actually cheap and good, it really should be worth something in the trenches. I expect this to basically amount to a reroll with a bonus, considering we've tried it already and have hopefully learned from it.

Replace the foreign-bought motors with ones built in-country, and specialized for aircraft use, but of a similar size so as not to impact ore cost. In our case, specialized for aircraft use means high-revving, and being relatively fuel efficient at high revs and max power output, as opposed to automotive engines which spend most of their time at lower revs and are tuned accordingly.
If we're lucky this might remove the complex tag and/or get us some better performance, but even if it's a flop and we don't actually use them, it will be crucial experience in designing motors.

Agaaryn Tolgoi Domestic Motors: (1) TricMagic

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2021, 10:23:56 am »

Agaaryn Tolgoi Domestic Motors: (2) TricMagic, Madman

I would very much like to move to armored cars and this will get us there with our next design if we can spend it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2021, 11:24:35 am »

Witchfire Carbine MkII:
Agaaryn Tolgoi Domestic Motors: (3) TricMagic, Madman, Sensei
Sure, I'll pile on. eS may or may not have rage quit so I think that makes a complete vote.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2021, 01:02:53 am »

why did eS ragequit lmao?

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Arms Race: Kalcha Confederation. 1904 Design Phase.
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2021, 06:18:03 pm »

Dice Gods Say: 1.....

The Domestic Motor project is well its not pretty. It turns out building motors domestically from the ground up is alot harder than we thought. Originally we held a contest with support of the Parliament and Prime Minister, the best mechanics who built the foreign models of engines would compete to create a new aviation engine! Of course asking men who only copied design plans and never researched how they work internally to design engines from the ground up ended with a whole host of half-baked and cobbled together designs made from combining aspects from multiple foreign engines in a failed attempt that during testing exploded during a presentation and killed the Minister of Defense, this greatly angering the Prime Minister. The inventor who made that particular design was sentenced as a criminal against the state and party then 'volunteered' to serve his prison sentence on the front line. Out of all the domestic motors designs only a peasant herder and his design proved of some worth though is only powerful enough to propel a bicycle at an average speed....without the rider on it. The herder calls its the 'Aduu' engine after his horse's name...'Aduu' being the quite original name translating from Kalchan into 'Horse'.

It is now the Design Phase once the battle report has been posted.

Confederation Armory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2021, 11:20:54 pm »

Fuses armed by hand, when dealing with 5 tons of 120mm artillery shells, is a bad idea. Have them be armed by, say, a string that is ripped free when the bomb drops out of the airship's bomb bay or wherever it's stored.

I do like the idea of just reusing 120mm artillery shells, it's a good one. 5 tons of payload might be a bit much for our first-ever airship, though.

'Crate Mover' Truck
The internal combustion engine-driven automobile is a remarkable tool for moving things, like crates. So we've developed a small 1.5-ton truck with an unusually robust suspension system to aid our logistical efforts and begin to displace the horse as the primary tool of the logistics arm of our military. This truck uses an internal combustion engine running on regular old gasoline developed by our own engineering team and produced in our own factories, a first for our nation. In order to do this the engine is made simpler and perhaps proportionally a bit less space-efficient than most engines are, but since it aids in keeping it running and manufacturing it in a country not used to doing so we're pretty sure it'll be worth the trade-offs. Our (new) mechanics will undoubtedly be glad that we've tried to keep the truck easily maintainable and durable, at least.

It's got a flat bed that can optionally be covered, and can carry supplies or troops over its moderate range (for the time). For carrying troops we toss some bench seating in the back.

So some ICE experience might allow us to do an armored car to try and shift the balance of certain theaters, it would also improve our logistics immensely which might just have its own benefits.

I'm going to make basically this proposal, but nerd it up with engineering details and add a gun mount for yuks. Now we have two truck proposals.
Quote from: TRUCK
The TRUCK (come up with a better name if you want) is powered by an air-cooled, 4-cylinder, horizontally opposed 'flat' engine, with a total displacement of 1.6 liters, tuned for maximum torque and low-end power. The engine uses a flathead valve arrangement with only one intake and exhaust valve per cylinder. The engine is in the front and the clutch is mounted directly to the driveshaft, which in turn leads to a 3-speed rear transaxle with an open differential which may be locked by use of a lever in the cabin. The cabin is a "cabover' shape, where the driver sits above the engine, making the cabin very short and leaving room for a longer bed. The bed is 3.5m long, and can be available as a flatbed, with wooden side-walls and a tailgate, a canvas-covered bed with benches, or any other convenient arrangement which can be made with planks, a hammer, and nails. The top of the cabin includes a swivel mount for a Witchfire machine gun, which is built heavily in case we make a larger gun later. There is a small step on the back of the cabin where the machine gun user would stand, having climbed in from the bed. While the gun mount is included, not every truck needs to be equipped with a gun depending on its role. The whole truck is sat on simple but robust leaf springs.

TRUCK: (1) Sensei
-Call is the TRUCK: (1) Sensei

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2021, 07:32:41 pm »

Definitely don't include the machinegun, it's a completely unarmored transport vehicle, it shouldn't need it. Also given how the Witchfire is built it doesn't need a built-in mount to be used from an open-topped truck (which is what you would want to be fighting from, as opposed to a canvas-covered one where you can't see or accurately shoot out). Definitely mention that we're making these engines ourselves so we don't end up with more imported ones.

I feel like maybe you've dived too far into the weeds on this truck design and that Maxim is unlikely to care about most of it.

I'm not sure whether to go for the simplicity of the truck or try for an armored car directly. Actually, wait, the jokers on the other side got a working helicopter in one turn, I think armored cars ought to be pretty darned easy if we wanted to go that route.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2021, 09:43:30 pm »

I'm not sure whether to go for the simplicity of the truck or try for an armored car directly. Actually, wait, the jokers on the other side got a working helicopter in one turn, I think armored cars ought to be pretty darned easy if we wanted to go that route.
It's a bit subject to rolls but yeah, we can shoot for it. I kinda-sorta want an HMG first but it's not 100% necessary.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2021, 10:47:02 pm »

I mean, the British armed many of their first tanks with nothing more than four rifle-caliber machineguns, admittedly belt-fed which would be much superior to magazine feed for the purpose of hosing down enemy trenches.

However the advantage of armor being deployed would probably be pretty big. I would like to use the revision to revise our airship's engines once we've got a working home-made engine going in this design, but we might be able to revise belt feed into the Witchfire next turn or perhaps we don't really want to have more airships...but I think we do want more airships.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2021, 08:09:51 am »

TRUCK: (2) Sensei, TricMagic
-Call is the TRUCK: (2) Sensei, TricMagic
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9