Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding captured intelligent creatures to your fort?  (Read 2484 times)

moonalsolake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adding captured intelligent creatures to your fort?
« on: May 30, 2021, 06:07:09 am »

Recently a couple of Gorlaks stumbled into my cage traps.

I know gorlaks can join your fortress, but is that only if they come as visitors from a different fort?

The same goes for plump helmet men.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding captured intelligent creatures to your fort?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 07:50:11 am »

As you note, there is no vanilla way to capture or recruit intelligent creatures from the wild. They have to come via other sites through which they join civilizations (or their ancestors did). The exception is gremlins, but they're badly bugged in many ways, so they're probably not worth even thinking about recruiting unless you've got DFHack and Dwarf Therapist to deal with some of the issues (and you probably want to change the raws as well so you can give them clothes during their 2 year waiting period before they petition, or they go insane due to shame over walking around naked before they reach that point, at least in 0.47.04 [haven't recruited any with 0.47.05]).

moonalsolake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 11:40:58 am »

Ah, that's too bad. Thank you, though.

I do hope they add this feature in the future. Right now I feel so bad just having these gorlaks locked up when all I really wanna do is be friends with them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 03:10:25 am »

I agree. "Wild" intelligent creatures will be reworked at some point, but it will take time.
I'd actually be fairly satisfied with a stop gap implementation of being able to release intelligent prisoners telling them to get lost. I don't really think capturing someone and then more or less force them to join your organization is particularly realistic, although I wouldn't complain if they'd have the ability to petition to be released as well as petitioning to join. However, the best thing would be to eventually allow them to approach the fortress and petition without first having to be captured.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 03:05:48 pm »

I believe you can add the [PET_TRAINABLE] tag to just about any cavern creature, including Gorlocks, because I've definitely done it and ended up with a Gorlock mayor.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 04:05:19 pm »

I believe you can add the [PET_TRAINABLE] tag to just about any cavern creature, including Gorlocks, because I've definitely done it and ended up with a Gorlock mayor.
Yes, you can, but I believe you end up with the issues vanilla gremlins have, making it essentially impossible to manage without DFHack and DT.