Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: A Council of Wizards  (Read 2981 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Council of Wizards
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2021, 09:32:52 am »

Patience is a virtue. This happens sometimes, just be patient. Real life is in fact a thing for some people.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2021, 12:39:41 pm »

Patience is a virtue. This happens sometimes, just be patient. Real life is in fact a thing for some people.

He has a point. Maybe something happen to their power or internet or maybe they just wanted a break. There are many things that could have happened it I’m sure this won’t be dropped, Or at least, Without any notice. 😄

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2021, 05:58:44 pm »

I knew I was forgetting something.
Quote from: Votebox
Starting Options-
A. Fast Ship: 2
B. Wizard's Guard:1
C. GFC: 6
D. Mystery Portal: 1
E. White Gold Tower: 7

Additional option in exchange for future favor?
Yes: 11
No: 1

Actions (Put your name or character's name behind which action they will perform)-

Build the Tower: Mazalmof the Malidictious (crazyabe), Vern (ConscriptFive), Amon Antigonus (Knightwing64), Bartolemproze (Demonic Spoon), Z(TricMagic), Tar-Aran (Madman), Bill (Puppyguard)

Integrate with the locals/Clear Monsters: Arven (Sudorandom), Wisenwald (Robo), Nota Dr Agon (Voidslayer), Orcorbis (Maximum Spin)

Investigate the Island: Jack The "Magic" Man (Fluffe9911)
Orcorbis wanders amongst the peoples of the island, asking them probing questions about their childhoods, friendships and rivalries, family lives, and past and expected future sins.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2021, 10:51:19 pm »

The Rise of the Tower       

The Tower was forged from magic and mettle, raised high into the heavens by the Wizard’s will. They have chosen the center of their power well, for the leylines and streams of magic along the coast converge here, enriching the island with life and power. With the Tower, and the Focusing Crystal at its crown, that magic has a new master.

Tall and slender it rises, visible from anywhere on the island. Flocks of colorful birds wind and wend their way through the air, but avoiding the invisible wards that lie just above its surface. Formed from a king’s ransom in White Gold, it shines even in the night, lit from the magic it channels through its body. The wizards labored mightily on its protection, and only the most fearsome assault could mar its walls.

The halls inside are wide and spacious, room for lectures and audiences. It has a garden stocked with rare plants from across the continent. The rooms lie rather empty for the moment, waiting to be filled. The treasury, deep in the heart of the tower, is bare. The Armory, where deadly crafts of war can be stored safely, lies also barren.

Near the top of the Tower, however, lies the Council Chambers. A semicircle of chairs, thrones, and containers for the various occupants, surround a dias, where petitioners may address the Council. The center of the chambers also conveniently makes for an excellent ritual site, with controls for the crystal nearby. The council room acts as the command center for directing magics and rituals through the Tower.

The Lost Island has a new master now, and like a spider at the center of a web of magic lies the Tower. May the Council wield this power well, for if directed poorly could wreak devastation across the land. Large scale rituals are immensely more effective than they would be, as would any spells involving the tower. Magic involving water or the sea also receives a bonus to its power. Congratulations, for you have forged a Tower worthy of legend, and have gained the attention worthy of such.

Scattered across the island lie various small communities, mostly made of shipwreck survivors and the mad. Some take the opportunity of the wizards being present to finally make their way home in safety, while others who have made their lives here on this strange island embrace the protection offered by the wizards. They tell you of the Shadow Crocodiles, and the Dire Macaws that pluck the unwary into the sky. A few trips into the deep jungles return a few bound and angry specimens for collection into the tower.
   The people of the island are as suspicious of a wizard as the next person, but the dangers of the island, and the willingness to adventure into the jungles has earned the trust of the villages of the island.

A lone wizard investigates the island to determine its resources. It is rich in building materials, and food and rare plants are plentiful. Not much in the way of metal ore appears to be available. However, strong rivers of magic stream into the island, engording the island with extra natural resources and crystals. One could easily support a couple of permanent enchantments on the island, and be easily improved to support even more.

Gained!
The Treasury!:Empty.
The Armory!: Empty.
Enchantment Slots: 0/2!

The Ancient One:
   Deep in the jungle, the locals lead a few wizards to an overgrown temple. The markings have long since faded, and the traces of magic in the area, an old flavor, possess no strength despite the flow of magic into the island. Twisted and gnarled trees crawl and creep through the stone. The wizards advance into the structure to a barely warded stone door. With a word, the doors crumble to dust, and the wizards advance to find a shriveled, ancient blue skinned Mer. An old race, few communities of the Mer are left. This Mer looks at you through dry eyes, skin drawn tight against his bones. With a croak, the mer begins to speak. A spell of comprehension allows the wizards to understand his tale.
   The Mer was a Priest King long ago, named Arlash. He had grown in power and pride, and so demanded that his god grant him eternal life. The god had agreed, and so Arlash gained immortality. But it did not restore his youth or vigor, and as years progressed he grew feebler and feebler. He tried killing himself, but even the most grievous wounds would heal, and fire would burn itself out in his flesh. His life continued to be scraped across more and more time, his life force gradually diminishing until he could do nothing but lay there. Those around him found themselves slightly drained, and so eventually they left him in this tomb, to wait for the end of the world.
   The Priest King now begs for death and release. He promises a reward if you are able to finally end his long curse.

Client: Make a spell or ritual that can free the Priest King Arlash from his eternal life.

Say hello to your first client, Arlash! You may ask several questions of him, or investigate using spells and such. There are multiple ways you could solve this, but generally you can’t straight up dispel a spell or curse you did not cast. You may propose one spell/solution per player, but you can vote your approval for as many proposals as you like. Generally clients will take the advice of the majority of wizards, but they may take multiple options or choose for themselves. Put your proposal title into the votebox, and indicate your vote behind it. (No real consequences for failing this one, this is more a test run to see how the proposal/voting system goes!)

Quote from: Proposal Vote Box

Sorry for the delay, was very busy for the last few days! Let me know if you have any questions!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2021, 11:01:39 am »

Blow him up: Jack The "Magic" Man (Fluffe9911)

(In his best wizardry voice) While his spell does sound quiet powerful... probably, simply blowing the guy sky high so not a single piece of the fellow remains should do the trick I say, hell wouldn't even need to use magic some simple TNT or something should work besides worst case scenario and he manages to regenerate anyway out of pure nothingness its highly unlikely his brain will have any of his memories left in it... read that in a book once! (Jack begins sweating nervously his wizardry voice falters) Errr of course we dont have to do that its just a simple suggestion!! I just think not uhm everything.. (Jack looks visibly nauseous at this point) needs to uh be solved with.. magic after all... EXCUSE ME (Jack dismisses himself from the council post haste and proceeds to vomit off the tower balcony)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 04:59:03 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2021, 12:42:17 pm »

Bartolemproze gurbled in excitement as Arlash laid out his predicament. "Curses? Why those happen to be a bit of a hobby of mine... yesh... And one thing I've learnt in my many years, is that curses are far more easily transferred rather than outright broken. Oh they do so love to linger on, as you can no doubt attest to from painful personal experience..."

"Since your, Arlash's, wounds, no matter how grievous, eventually heal, it is a simple process to dismember you limb by limb, wait for them to regrow, and continue the process until we have a full body of extra body parts... yesh."

"Then, with a simple application of fleshmelding, we will form a body double from said parts. Maybe trap the soul of a lesser mer-ape in it to make it more convincing. Flay open the skin and sew the two of you together so you are one body and share one curse. While the curse is confused about who to be targeting, the both of you pretty much identical, and also the same being, we nail it to the false body double with spells of great power and also maybe actual nails, and break the connection."

"If everything went well, this will result in your, Arlash's, death while the proxy is cursed to live on forever. I believe this is the most feasible plan, yesh."

Body Double Curse Proxy: Bartolemproze
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:49:22 pm by Demonic Spoon »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2021, 12:43:26 pm »

If his problem is the body, I would propose Dreamland, to wander the astral plain as a ghost, free from the burdens of the flesh forever. In time the link will weaken, before he will be severed from his body forevermore. Does any other wish to contribute their skill with this?

Quote from: Dreambox

Separate the Mind and Soul from the Body, set into dreams and severing of the link.: Z(tricMagic)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2021, 12:52:39 pm »

Let me know if you have any questions!
((Say I wanted to cull the numbers of the nasty beasties on the island, would that be an Acquire Power[Training] action or an [Cull Beasties, Gain Nothing] action or?

Also general reminder to everyone you have a free independent action you can take to accrue resources/power))
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:35:21 pm by Demonic Spoon »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2021, 01:28:05 pm »

Let me know if you have any questions!
((Say I wanted to cull the numbers of the nasty beasties on the island, would that be an Acquire Power[Training] action or an [Cull Beasties, Gain Nothing] action or?

Also general reminder to everyone you have a free independent action you can take to accrue resources/power))

I’ll provide a number of options that you can further contextualize with additional details. (So probably Aquire MP, through hunting or training) This update is kind of part of the last turn. I’m keeping it a bit separate to focus more on making sure the coming up with spells for clients go smoothly.

So, no actions for this update. Next update should be a normal turn however!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2021, 04:04:30 pm »

Vern smiles to himself, "How to kill a once mortal being that was darkly gifted with immortality?"

Needless to say, this could prove useful against the vampires of Clan Methunes.

Attacking the flesh seems futile, but what about the soul "spirit."

Soul Entrapment Spirit Liberation is a fringe obscure branch of magic, that even most wizards find heretical controversial.  Experimenters in Spirit Liberation often face pograms consternation by more senior wizards.  "But is there anyone more senior than the Council itself?"  (Secluded on an island, how would anyone find out anyways?)

Various seized grimoires over the years claim that a spirit can be transferred from mortal flesh and into a crystal.  "But what about a 'giant' crystal?"  If being confied small crystal was cell, are giant one would be a paradise.

He addresses his wizarding peers, "My fellow Councilmen, I have a solution regarding the Mer Arlash's tragic situation.  We shall liberate his spirit from his enfeebled flesh, and transfer it into an Elysium of our creation within the GFC.  We cure him of his situation, while retaining him and his centuries of Mer knowledge for our own uses.  At a later time, we shall find a means to 'release' his spirit from the Elysium of the GFC."

"Now I understand that my colleague Z has a similar solution, however keeping the ancient Mer priest as an advisor in a gilded cage is too valuable an opportunity to overlook."

Separate the Mind and Soul from the Body, set into dreams and severing of the link.: Z(tricMagic)
    Confine his spirit in an Elysium created within the GFC.  'Promise' to grant the release of 'final death' eventually: Vern (ConscriptFive)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2021, 04:17:03 pm »

"I would like to remind my good colleague Vern that we are offering potential solutions to our client, whose stated desire is to end their eternal life, not continue it in another form. And certainly not asking to be enslaved. We are hardly going to build any sort of positive reputation for wizardkind if we harass our customers or completely ignore what they are actually asking for. Yesh."

"In short, stick to the terms provided by the client, ending their eternal life. And of course demand an appropriately generous sum as payment."

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2021, 04:27:35 pm »

Amon smiles in joy as he is particularly powerful in soul related matters. “I would personally recommend letting me use a “spell” to subsume him. This will absorb his body into to mine and will effectively kill him even if his biomass lives on helping me.” What he leaves unsaid is that subsuming also effectively absorbs the targets power which Amon will use to further his goal of getting home.

Confine his spirit in an Elysium created within the GFC.  'Promise' to grant the release of 'final death' eventually: Vern (ConscriptFive)
    Subsume his being and take his power: Amon Antigonus (Knightwing64)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2021, 04:47:19 pm »

"I almost hate to say this. I'd mostly rather forget my background, you know, than go around doing stereotypical things like beheading people for having unnatural relations with boar-geese. But this does seem to be more a Seraph's problem than a wizard's. After all, esteemed client's problem is divine in origin, not strictly magical. To put it simply, he committed a sin. He waxed prideful, clutched at divinity, demanded from his god what was not meet for him to have, and is now being punished for it.

Traditionally, there are two things one can do to escape just punishment for sin: find a scapegoat to suffer in one's place, or make proper repentance and accept such penance as one's god asks. Messr. Bumprole, I mean, Bratplum, umm, esteemed wormcolleague in effect proposes the former. I think this plan could work, especially if the god's cooperation is sought. For the sake of completeness, I shall propose the latter.

I propose we gather together such priests and congregants as can be found upon the island and prepare a great expurgative ritual. Before the gods and the assembled, Messr. Arlash shall confess his sins and make peace with his god, whereupon we, with myself of course providing, shall incinerate him, no doubt excruciatingly, with blessed holy fire until his righteous suffering has satisfactorily humbled him and purged his flesh of wrongdoing, at which point his bonds shall be loosed and his body fall to ash. Of course, should the god demand further mortifications during the ritual we should be obliged to accede; we may wish to have an array of scourges, barbed spears, eye-gouges, &c. on hand against the possibility."

Body Double Curse Proxy: Bartolemproze, Orcorbis
    Holy Inquisition and burning of the heretic: Orcorbis

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2021, 06:44:34 pm »

"I would like to remind my good colleague Vern that we are offering potential solutions to our client, whose stated desire is to end their eternal life, not continue it in another form. And certainly not asking to be enslaved. We are hardly going to build any sort of positive reputation for wizardkind if we harass our customers or completely ignore what they are actually asking for. Yesh."

"In short, stick to the terms provided by the client, ending their eternal life. And of course demand an appropriately generous sum as payment."

"My esteemed invertebrate colleague,
As the corsairs of the Southern Seas say, 'Dead Mer tell no tales.'  A ancient source of knowledge is of no use to us dead...

But yes, we will fulfill the client's wishes.  However, slaying an immortal is no small task.  In the interim, it is only ethical we provide the appropriate comforts I mentioned prior.  Once we have perfected the safest and most painless means to end his being, we will do so."

Body Double Curse Proxy: Bartolemproze, Orcorbis
    Holy Inquisition and burning of the heretic: Orcorbis

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2021, 08:34:17 pm »

“Is there truly no being here that can see what my option offers in term of benefits? My option actively benefits us as it gives us more power and fulfills the request and the other options are are just killing him? Amon makes a plead for his case before making himself some tea.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5