Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Victoria 3 Announced  (Read 20963 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 3 Announced
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2022, 06:35:58 pm »

Mapping the American West is a way too difficult expedition. I've been at it ceaselessly for 40 years and I've still yet to succeed at it. Every time it advances without an event, it advances by giving peril and a little bit of progress. Every event is either 50/50 chance of peril or minor advancement vs nothing, or 50/50 chance of peril or nothing.

It's bullshit. No wonder the US rarely does the compromise with the British, they can't actually succeed on the expedition in order to do so!
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2022, 08:24:26 pm »

Paradox game launch is a shitshow news at 11. They need to man up and launch in early access.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2022, 01:30:58 am »

Did you ever buy the game? It's playable start to finish and deliver exactly what it set out to. It has some bugs, but it's not like it launched with a third of the features they wanted to. There is always room of improvement, but if you measure like that nothing will ever be done.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2022, 02:22:42 am »

Alright, gotta say, the "stick with the Ottomans until they lose all their vassals" plan is... bad. Your economy just craters because you lose all your trade, and have to waste so much bureaucracy to salvage it.

New approach: start campaigns over and over until Austria views me as protective, then go for early independence->protectorate of Austria and use them to push my conquests into the Ottomans until I've gained enough power to overthrow Austria and take back what's rightfully mine.

Well, "rightfully".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2022, 02:25:01 am »

Mapping the American West is a way too difficult expedition. I've been at it ceaselessly for 40 years and I've still yet to succeed at it. Every time it advances without an event, it advances by giving peril and a little bit of progress. Every event is either 50/50 chance of peril or minor advancement vs nothing, or 50/50 chance of peril or nothing.

It's bullshit. No wonder the US rarely does the compromise with the British, they can't actually succeed on the expedition in order to do so!

I originally read this as a Real Life statement, with Great Order driving an RV though all of the Western American states, diligently logging the highways, waterways, etc. Probably doing odd jobs and solving crimes for beer money and gas.

Did you ever buy the game? It's playable start to finish and deliver exactly what it set out to. It has some bugs, but it's not like it launched with a third of the features they wanted to. There is always room of improvement, but if you measure like that nothing will ever be done.
Game sucks, I don't know why anyone would pay so much money for it, then try to force others to purchase, just because they're out the money and want to share the pain.
So no, I haven't purchased it.  :P

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2022, 02:42:13 am »

Then why are you here stating, under no uncertain terms, that the game sucks? Looks like you just came here with an axe to grind.

Also pretty ingenerous of you to twist the argument and put words I never said into it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 04:05:18 am by LoSboccacc »

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2022, 02:55:32 am »

Alright, gotta say, doing yet another attempt at this and yeah honestly it's just not all too much fun in the current state? Or at least, I've run up against the limit of "things to do".

I suppose I'll look back at this in a year or two.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2022, 01:21:03 pm »

It plays different to Victoria 2/1, but I think the core mechanics are good. However, I haven't played enough yet to notice a simulation that forces me to grow or perish. At some point the home market should get saturated and not profitable enough demanding expansion into new markets, both in terms of excess goods and in terms of capital exports (which don't seem to exist as capitalists pool profits into some local construction pool), forcing me to into competition with foreign capitalists creating an incentive for war. 
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2022, 01:31:34 pm »

There's a certain degree of it, in that acquiring oil and rubber can be a problem if you've not got access to either.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2022, 02:35:26 pm »

That would be one aspect of it, competition for natural resources. The thing I'm looking for is perhaps the emergence of finance capital that auto-invests in other markets, taking shares in foreign production/industries (eg. because profits are better there compared to locally).
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2022, 03:06:39 pm »

Well, for that they need to implement automated private construction. From what I understand that's planned but I don't know when for. As it is there's no real difference between a command economy and any others, aside from a lack of an investment pool for the command economy, because regardless the government's deciding what gets made where.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2022, 05:00:08 pm »

bay12games is all about grinding axes. we have a lot of trad gamer types with strict opinions . also, dwarves

paradox fails its customers by not catering to their strange design opinions, more news at 9

its almost like most "grand strategy" is smoke and mirrors simulacra. I tried this game from some of the opinions expressed here but the game felt like a stageshow . historical events doled out like prizes from a pachinko machine. the agency is limited to pre-arranged narrative of nation building. like a shallow walk through high school world history (with the bad teacher, no less)

endless numerical trackers do not make a deep game. its good if you like roleplaying omnipotent government bureaucrats, or pretending great man theory still exists, or basking in the ironic celebration of colonialism, or. . .
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 05:10:01 pm by Salmeuk »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2022, 05:24:05 pm »

bay12games is all about grinding axes. we have a lot of trad gamer types with strict opinions . also, dwarves

yes, but it also used to be a honest place, people providing baseless opinion appears to me a recent twist. heck, I never even claimed that the game was perfect in whichever way.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2022, 05:41:57 pm »

Paradox gets the criticism it gets because it churns out low-quality baseline products, then floods that base product with a bunch of DLC that should've been a part of the game to begin with. Each new game they release makes their design philosophy more apparent; Victoria 3 being the exemplar of this above all.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2022, 07:39:39 pm »

That's a truly bizarre statement looking at Paradox's recent output.

There's plenty to not like about them but "churning out low-quality baseline products"?? Do we live in the same reality???
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14