Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Victoria 3 Announced  (Read 20979 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 3 Announced
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2022, 08:32:07 pm »

Hm. Might need to adjust that.

Anyone else get really bad slowdown and frame drops from midgame onwards? Early game's nice and smooth, and my computer's only a year old (sans older graphics card) which makes me suspect it's more to do with the game than my PC.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2022, 09:27:55 pm »

with my new system, game does slow down around 1900, and I bet if i had my old system id be struggling past 1870 lol
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2022, 10:32:29 pm »

As far as I'm aware the slowdown is the same as in Victoria 2. You end up with a bunch of tiny little pops everywhere that need to be tracked.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2022, 04:41:17 am »

What you doing in general with factories? You spread around many small factory or specialize regions with few large ones a mix of both...

It appears to me sprinkling factories everywhere is going to result in less radicals long run but it's very annoying to manage

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2022, 07:33:14 am »

I always concentrate factories when possible to gain the economy of scale bonus.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2022, 09:30:24 am »

There's also the matter of qualifications. Spreading the benefits of urbanisation and industry around sounds like a good idea, but trying to get people to go from peasants to machinists requires a bunch of extra buildings or institutions, such that trying to build factories everywhere is going to wind up with a bunch that sit empty for lack of skilled workers.

Concentrated urbanisation means you need less universities, less railways/ports, less edicts, less incorporated states.

Tried to do wide urbanisation twice so far, once as Great Qing, another as USA. Neither worked super well, and I would have been better off concentrating my industry in Beijing or New York. It's just easier to balance input/output of resources with economy of scale when you get to the big nations.

Focused urbanisation as Sweden->Scandinavia, and United Tribes->Aotearoa has been working quite well. Svealand/North Island house almost all my industry and pour advanced goods into the rest of the country, which pours raw resources back in. Mucked up the Scandinavia run a bit by going for Command Economy, but the Aotearoa game is going well, though that's partly because of all the gold mines.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2022, 11:05:03 am »

I generally spread out my industries, but that's because I'll somewhat often wind up with insufficient peasants.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2022, 11:38:16 am »

I generally spread out my industries, but that's because I'll somewhat often wind up with insufficient peasants.

If you manage to get Teeming Shores keep the liberal policies required to get it and use Greener Grass you can pull an obscene amount of people to your country. 200k+ migrants in one state per week every few months. It's actually been faster than I can build jobs for at times, especially when the Intelligentsia bonus and trade center bonus kick in.

North Island has roughly 5x the pops of the rest of the country and is still growing rapidly.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2022, 01:24:01 pm »

There's also the matter of qualifications. Spreading the benefits of urbanisation and industry around sounds like a good idea, but trying to get people to go from peasants to machinists requires a bunch of extra buildings or institutions, such that trying to build factories everywhere is going to wind up with a bunch that sit empty for lack of skilled workers.

Concentrated urbanisation means you need less universities, less railways/ports, less edicts, less incorporated states.

Tried to do wide urbanisation twice so far, once as Great Qing, another as USA. Neither worked super well, and I would have been better off concentrating my industry in Beijing or New York. It's just easier to balance input/output of resources with economy of scale when you get to the big nations.

Focused urbanisation as Sweden->Scandinavia, and United Tribes->Aotearoa has been working quite well. Svealand/North Island house almost all my industry and pour advanced goods into the rest of the country, which pours raw resources back in. Mucked up the Scandinavia run a bit by going for Command Economy, but the Aotearoa game is going well, though that's partly because of all the gold mines.

doesn't that result in a quite potent land owner / rural factions, and a general low quality of life across the rural states?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2022, 01:31:27 pm »

Stronger than they otherwise would be, yeah. The mines and such cut into that a bit, but the rural states are going to have a steady blob of peasants and aristocrats unless you manage to build a functional city in each state. Still a minority when you get democracy going, and the rurals turn into communists given half a chance, so they aren't actually hard to keep happy.

Hell, in my current game even the capital has peasants from time to time. People are moving in fast enough that when I take a break on construction for a bit to pay off debt or accrue gold reserves a bunch of people turn to subsistence farms.

In Qing I had the problem of there just being too many peasants and aristos in the first place, so passing any reforms was like pulling teeth.

For reference, in my UTs game, the Conservative party (landowners, industrialists and petite bourgoeisie) gets about 20-25% of the votes, Communist party (trade unions) gets about 50%, and the rest goes to the Social Democrats (intelligentsia and armed forces,) so my government is perfectly stable with the Communists and the SDs, with the Cons effectively sidelined because the population in the capital is about 40% of my population and most of them are attracted to the trade unions rather than the rurals.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 02:07:04 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2022, 05:02:59 pm »

some (untested) ux mod god bless modders

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2884035975&searchtext=
Steam Workshop::More Spreadsheets

Steam Workshop::Improved Building Grid
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2883323135&searchtext=

Steam Workshop::Improved Building Map List
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2883109872&searchtext=

Steam Workshop::Notifications not over Outliner
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2884318353&searchtext=

Steam Workshop::Pops Overview Radicals
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2883152961&searchtext=

Steam Workshop::Unemployment and Peasant Data + IG Approval Rating ...
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882922372&searchtext=

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2022, 07:48:45 pm »

Question for you, how'd you avoid annexation as the United Tribes? Gave them a go, got about 5 years in and NSW annexed me. I thought you needed good relations with the annexation target to activate that event, but apparently not.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2022, 09:18:10 pm »

What seems to work for me is improving relations with Britain, West and South Australia, and Dieman's land, and harming relations with New South Wales. Research Colonialism and then Nationalism ASAP and try to have greater GDP than any of the three you're befriending, they're really weak so it shouldn't be too hard.

Pop a colony in South Island, North Island and West Australia. I'm not sure how colony placement works exactly, it seems to go roughly where you click but I'm not 100% on that. Try to put your WA colony so it borders the rest of the state from the start.

Once Nationalism is researched, federate quickly. You should absorb West Australia first, but since they're trying to do it to, and Britain is trying to do it to them you can wind up with new territory more or less out of nowhere. Sometimes when Britain federates you with another state you come out on top, not sure what determines it because it doesn't seem to be GDP, might be number of states. Once federation starts the whole thing will finish up fast, as in everyone becoming a single nation within the space of a few months.

I think what happens when you get annexed out of nowehere is Britain gets 20 relationship with you through passive gain from the vassal relationship, and then takes a decision to federate 2 Australian states, which usually gets you swallowed by NSW. From my America runs I presume Britain's decisions to federate it's Australian subjects is similar to the ones you get for Canada, which just require the overlord to have 20 relationship with two subject states of the right cultures, and not be on the 5 year cooldown. It's still hard to predict though, and I'm genuinely not sure why it happens some runs and not others.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2022, 02:01:44 pm »

Doing another Serbia campaign, this time with that AI mod so that countries will actually, y'know, industrialize. Will see how it goes.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2022, 05:35:27 pm »

I have discovered the best strategy.

I, as an Ottoman protectorate, can declare a war and they will support me. However, the Ottomans are generally disliked and many great powers (Austria, Russia) are willing to go against the Ottomans.

I can then leave the war I started with no penalty other than hurt relations, leaving the Ottomans to their fate of being destroyed by various other states.

This also gives me the benefit of picking particular war targets (such as Montenegro) that will choose war goals that eat away at Ottoman territory.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14