Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Victoria 3 Announced  (Read 20966 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 3 Announced
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2021, 12:48:04 am »

If I recall right the serfs are more specific to Austria and Russia and each have their own dealing with that event chain/decision. Assuming it's the same mod I remember serfs from it's a roadblock more than anything, and just for them. Russia harder than Austria. Mind pming me a link to the mod or can I find more uptodate on paradox?

Haha it doesn't even matter. I got impatient and started a game and don't even have to deal with them. it seems what you said is correct. Only certain nations have to deal with it and it seems there is a reform to end serfdom.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2022, 11:05:13 am »

And it is out!

Only 8GB, and Steam's compressed it down to 4.5

EDIT: Current game: CSA formed and have taken most of the American East coast. Mexico, never one to not kick a future oppressor while they're down, proceeded to join and are presently kicking the USA's arse. Austria is holding its ground against a combined Prussian-Russian offensive. Peru-Bolivia's formed. Finland's in open revolt.

Looks like this game's able to produce more ahistorical outcomes than Vicky 2.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 04:39:06 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2022, 06:51:13 pm »

Meanwhile in my game, I am playing Serbia.

The Serbia start is rough. You're basically beholden to Russia or Austria to back your play against the Ottomans for independence, at which point you're an OPM caught between two empires with no coast. I only just managed to get South Serbia through another play due to the Ottomans constantly losing to Egypt.

You do not want to be a landlocked OPM operating by your lonesome economically. The economic ramifications are brutal.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2022, 06:59:23 pm »

Huh, the game made my CPU overheat.

That's a new one.

Might have to buy a can of compressed air and give it a good clean out, see if that helps.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2022, 08:42:20 pm »

Alright, things went belly-up. Bold move against Austria went terribly wrong. This time I shall try things without screwing my economy by pushing for independence too soon.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2022, 08:48:16 pm »

The game was gifted to me, gonna check it out.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2022, 11:47:36 pm »

Second realization: Ottoman Empire is a disaster, leave them immediately. What sunk my economy was building too many construction centers and no actual means to support all that construction.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2022, 02:22:57 am »

My CPU can't run it, good thing you can refund gifts. Will probably get it again once I upgrade.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2022, 01:03:36 pm »

So far, conclusion: it's about what I was expecting. Fun, with a bit of jank regarding some of the non-economic stuff. Outside of the obvious visual stuff (debug information leaking into gameplay, some wars not ending up properly localized involving revolutions and the like), my biggest issue with the war system is that it's just too... random? Like, I'm fine with having far less agency here, but it seems to me that where "battles" take place on the front is just completely random, rather than having some bias towards, say, war goals. Which can lead to frustrating scenarios where a war ends in a white peace or you losing despite the fact that you would easily win because the war front expanded into Bulgaria rather than South Serbia for no particular reason.

Also I think the counter-war goals can be a bit too aggressive. When the Ottoman Empire is given their forced war against Egypt, Egypt's countered war goals are, like... conquering Constantinople. Which it usually succeeds at doing. It should probably prioritize landed connections as a war goal versus overseas ones.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2022, 01:27:26 pm »

I don't understand the military. Had a revolution, equal numbers on both sides but I'd gone and upgraded my troops. As best as I can tell, they hadn't.

They still splattered me because they had better offence and defence values.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2022, 06:37:18 pm »

Found a bug. I'm asking to become a nation's protectorate, they've got +900 (Which the game marks as "They will accept") and they're refusing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and another bug. Half the time the Opium Wars kick off, Britain just sits and does nothing, winding up in a war that lasts for a decade or more because nobody attacks the other person.

Also, Brunei's boring to play as. You can't get anywhere because the moment you try to do something to expand your nation, everyone around you, even if they all absolutely love you to bits, will pile in on the defender's side.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 06:41:39 pm by Great Order »

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2022, 08:37:51 pm »

It all requires a good deal of clever posturing. And not playing in ironman mode because wars can be a crapshoot if you're not the war leader. Don't underestimate the power of clever posturing and making yourself a protectorate of a stronger power to use them to fight wars on your behalf. Used the starting situation of being under the Ottomans to leverage taking Montenegro without a fight, then leveraged the collapse of the Ottomans against Egypt and Russia's dislike of the Ottomans to win independence, and later to take Bosnia to unify my market (you don't want a split market; it goes poorly). Then became a protectorate of Austria to have them fight several wars against the Ottomans on my behalf (whose collapse wasn't nearly as bad as it usually was, which was a nice change of pace). This netted me South Serbia, the rest of Montenegro, Skopje, Macedonia, and pushed Bulgaria independent. The only thing in Europe the Ottomans have left is Thessaly and Constantinople.

I then proceeded to puppet Wallachia, Moldova, and Bulgaria. It's now the 20th century, and I'm a major power. Just need the right opportunity to fight against Austria and take enough to form Yugoslavia. Might even break into great power status by doing that.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2022, 12:35:19 am »

As of now, Victoria 3 only has a 66% positive review percentage on Steam.. It's looking like it's not being well-received at the moment.

I think that is pretty bad, because correct me if I'm wrong, almost all Paradox games on their debut didn't get an overall mixed review status on launch (yes, not even Imperator didn't get that, I believe).

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2022, 01:04:54 am »

To be fair a lot of people are bitter about the change to the war system. That's the bulk of the complaints.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2022, 07:13:56 am »

Paradox games are always janky on release day.  Stellaris and Imperator are prime examples of this.

Not Bethesda games janky, but you can't be caught unaware at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14