Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Victoria 3 Announced  (Read 20969 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 3 Announced
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2021, 08:53:46 am »

The pops aren't Stellaris pops. They already posted a dev diary specifically about Pops.

As for the lead dev, considering Stellaris' massive improvements under him (though of course it had many flaws throughout the process) it makes me optimistic for Vic3. Reading the dev diaries so far make me even more optimistic. They definitely seem to be going for a proper Victoria 3; not "Stellaris: Victoria" or "Europa Universalis: Victoria".

Normally you would give them the benefit of the doubt, but this is modern Pdox. Imperator had bad mechanics, and they didn't even work right. After 2 years, I heard its somewhat playable, but its a frankenstein monster that proves Pdox will use the easy fixes first. Mission trees, limited buildings, civ flavor... whatever they cant make work they remove.
EU4 Leviathon. Stellaris. HOI4. I haven't played CK3 but I heard its CK2 casual. I don't know how there are still fanboys. I remember when criticism and suggestions were being banned left and right on their forums. They were down to like 3 posts a day, instead of hundreds. And Pdox spends more on influencers than they do QA. Pre sale review bans are the sign of a shady company.
Crusader Kings 3 was easily the most successful Paradox launch ever by huge margins in numerous ways. Having played it myself, it's easily better than CK2 in pretty much every way. It's only really beaten in the raw volume of content department, but that's a given considering how long CK2 had for updates and DLC. CK3 was also a surprisingly smooth launch in terms of bugs and the like.
I'm glad to see that they're bringing over some of CK3's features to Vic3. Namely the tooltip system, which is a godsend for more information-dense games like these. 3D character models I'm pretty indifferent on.

EDIT: Not to say that I'm 100% confident that Victoria 3 will be perfect. It will of course have flaws. They will be very "Paradox"-esque flaws. But going by Wiz's (the lead dev) most recent work, the dev diaries, and Paradox's recent track record on launching new games, I'm very much optimistic.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 08:58:12 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2021, 09:13:17 am »

I think it'd be a little silly to kinda place the whole game coming together under one person. More than Wiz is going to work on this, and while he has the job of co-ordinating all their creative energy it's very very rare to have a game be lead by an autocrat game director/designer.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2021, 09:24:18 am »

Oh of course. A lead director/designer can have a very major influence on the end product depending on the environment, but in this case Wiz definitely isn't going to determine the entire fate of the game. It's just another point towards hopeful for me, but I was mostly responding to the people who saw Wiz as a bad sign.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2021, 11:03:18 am »

Its amazing how much stuff CKII only had through DLC is in CKIII at launch. Non-Christian rulers, Way of Life, Reaper's Due, and elements from a bunch of other DLCs are default in CKIII, the only DLCs that aren't in the base game are some of the more niche DLCs like Aztec Invasion, the Charlemagne start date, or the Republic DLC. The only downside of that is if you've played CKII a lot, you've probably seen much of what CKIII has to offer already.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2021, 12:26:24 pm »

Quote from: Persus13
Republic DLC

Republics a "niche" feature? Pretty sure Republics since its presence in CK2, have been very important to the game among the fanbase; and was a disappointment when it wasn't in CK3. Anyway, this is off-topic since this a Victoria thread, lol.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2021, 05:05:33 pm »

Quote from: Persus13
Republic DLC

Republics a "niche" feature? Pretty sure Republics since its presence in CK2, have been very important to the game among the fanbase; and was a disappointment when it wasn't in CK3. Anyway, this is off-topic since this a Victoria thread, lol.
I mainly consider it a niche feature since it affects like three to four counties per start date in a map with hundreds of counties with playable rulers, and it was a DLC that wasn't ever iterated on and from what I understand that was partly because the code was very janky behind the scenes.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2021, 02:31:34 am »

I already feel sorry for Wiz.   I can imagine him complaining to management that the customer requirements of Vic 3 are impossible and inconsistent, and then being stone-walled with  "the pop system AI will definitely work, just believe in yourself" response

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2021, 11:12:59 am »

Hm, since its probably not the same people that made Vic 1 & 2, it's probably a garbage cash grab.  :'(

So their "vision" pretty much confirms it: I will give you shit, and you will like it, bitches!

Pre-emptively placed it into the "Don't buy this game" thread.
Their vision sounds like the opposite of what you said. It reads like "We're trying to make Vicky 3, not Stellaris: Victoria" or something. Pops (which as we learned (and was released to the media), is akin to Vicky pops rather than Stellaris pops). Internal focus, politics, diplomacy taking a front-seat to war etc.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2021, 07:30:57 am »

@great Order : i think you are loosing your time. Some people just want to be negative. This has nothing to do with reality of facts. You can't "convince" something who has fallen in the dark Kingdom of Salt.

On the other hand, i agree, at least for now, it seems that this game is on good tracks. I'm happy they have taken back political parties, though. It was quite a pleasure to play with them in Vic 1&2.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2021, 12:26:15 pm »

I just remembered a bit of vicky 2 history, and why I remember Wiz as one of few paradox devs I remember.
Spoiler: From the wiki. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: personal take on vik3 (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2021, 10:00:02 pm »

Hm, since its probably not the same people that made Vic 1 & 2, it's probably a garbage cash grab.  :'(

So their "vision" pretty much confirms it: I will give you shit, and you will like it, bitches!

Pre-emptively placed it into the "Don't buy this game" thread.
Their vision sounds like the opposite of what you said. It reads like "We're trying to make Vicky 3, not Stellaris: Victoria" or something. Pops (which as we learned (and was released to the media), is akin to Vicky pops rather than Stellaris pops). Internal focus, politics, diplomacy taking a front-seat to war etc.

Hey, I'm glad you're so excited about this game, and I hope it turns out well.  I'm skeptical, but hey you do you.
Did I throw up a ton of negativity way too early? Probably.  But, just as my negativity so soon is baseless due to insufficient information, so too is the belief that this is going to be a great sequel.  Fact is, we all really don't know what is going to happen till the game comes out.
So I'm gonna try to go back to ignoring that this game is a thing for...maybe a year?  Time will tell, it always does.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2021, 04:59:15 am »

Considering the most recent DLC for EU4 and its subsequent update, that has broken the game and they still haven't fixed the major issues that accompanied it, makes me not hopeful for any future product of Paradox at this point. The only reason why Paradox is still in business, is due to not having real competition to the niche market they make games for; a soft-monopoly, basically. 

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2021, 12:34:20 pm »

Yeah, I'm running on cautious optimism. If they stick with what they said they'll do, it'll turn out great. The issues are whether they stick with it, and if they do, how well they implement them.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2021, 02:59:09 pm »

To avoid necro'ing any vicky 2 threads, I'll post my question here since Vicky 3 is making me give vicky 2 another try.

I'm going to give vicky 2 another go and I'm looking at the Historical Project Mod, and one of the features is serfs, who can't promote, and suck up other POPs. This seems potentially crippling to a country and I'm wondering if I even want to deal with it. Is the mod worth it? Is it easy to deal with serfs?

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2021, 12:37:41 am »

If I recall right the serfs are more specific to Austria and Russia and each have their own dealing with that event chain/decision. Assuming it's the same mod I remember serfs from it's a roadblock more than anything, and just for them. Russia harder than Austria. Mind pming me a link to the mod or can I find more uptodate on paradox?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14